Mortal Kombat EVO finalist MK REO reports recent instances of DDoS attacks in Mortal Kombat 11 online play

Posted by John 'Velociraptor' Guerrero • July 31, 2020 at 2:20 p.m. PDT | Comments: 12

Some troubling reports of potential DDoS attacks in Mortal Kombat 11 have been put forward by multiple time EVO Mortal Kombat finalist MK REO .

The professional player claims to have been hit with two DDoS (distributed denial-of-service) attacks in two day's time last week while live streaming. He has produced a video for his YouTube channel highlighting more details and requesting MK11 development company, NetherRealm Studios, take action.

"In two days of picking up and playing Skarlet I have been DDOSed by two different players. I don't know if it's because of the nature of Skarlet as a zoning character who's annoying to play against," he says. "Kombat League has become almost unplayable."

DDoS attacks are illegal and involve flooding the victim with incoming traffic from many different sources so as to ultimately overwhelm and disable internet access for a period of time. REO claims to have been knocked offline for about six hours last Thursday, and then again on Friday as his very first stream match was concluding.

We have yet to hear of any other reports of these kinds of attacks on other Mortal Kombat 11 players in recent times, but Mortal Kombat 11 has had previous issues with DDoS attacks as last year a user manipulated their way to the top of the leaderboards via this method. NetherRealm Studios responded with the following message and had apparently rectified the situation.

"We are aware of numerous DDOS attacks perpetrated by a certain player in the Kombat League," they said via Twitter. "We intend to make use of all options available to us to address this situation. Thank you for your patience!"

You can view REO's video explanation via the embed below.

Load comments (12)