'3/5 round format is better... helps you avoid the feeling of being robbed' - Luffy lists reasons why he thinks Street Fighter 5 sets should be longer

Posted by John 'Velociraptor' Guerrero • March 19, 2017 at 4:18 p.m. PDT

The 2017 Capcom Pro Tour kicked off with Final Round 20 last weekend, and though the tournament format for Street Fighter 5 is slated to remain 2/3 games up until 3/5 in top eight, a few top players have expressed they'd like a change.

French player and EVO 2014 champion RB|Luffy took to Twitter earlier to list off the reasons he'd rather tournaments be 3/5 all the way through. This quickly caught the attention of fellow Capcom Cup 2016 compteitor SPY|Filipino Champ, who couldn't agree more:

Three of Five image #1
Click images for larger versions

Though this isn't all that new a debate topic, we do have a full year's worth of Street Fighter 5 experience under our belts now, and perhaps that's given us a bit more wisdom on the matter. We've created a poll for you to let everyone know what your thoughts are.

With a year of experience in Street Fighter 5, what should the tournament standard be?

You must login to vote

Sources: Luffy and FChamp.

Comments

Exos8806 said on March 19, 2017 at 4:21 p.m.

I'm sure most competitors would want 3/5
Even in sf4 I felt it should've been like that

CODYYY said on March 19, 2017 at 4:24 p.m.

3/5 after pools imo.

3/5 is always better but time is always going to be a factor. i prefer the 3/5 format. Almost every game at CC finals was effected by 3/5 rules.

HyperViperNZ said on March 19, 2017 at 4:28 p.m.

Haha that banner is gold.

Turbojacke said on March 19, 2017 at 4:29 p.m.

Definitely 3/5. It's just right.

Enicius said on March 19, 2017 at 4:39 p.m.
Enicius said on March 19, 2017 at 4:39 p.m.
Spades said on March 19, 2017 at 4:40 p.m.

Pools 2/3, Everything else 3/5.

Having Pools 3/5 Would feel tedious especially at large tournaments like EVO where SFV had 5000+ entrants last year.

Gellus said on March 19, 2017 at 4:42 p.m.

"Cos sf4 takes skill and reads to win a round."

RebornOdin said on March 19, 2017 at 4:42 p.m.

You never played SF4, did you?

Yawdan said on March 19, 2017 at 4:47 p.m.

2/3 is more for tournament logistics than players. When you have 5000 players register for a tournament, you either try and keep the tournament as short as possible, or run the tournament over an extra day.

That said, I feel the players should have a say in their tournaments. So I respect Luffy's opinion.

Goodstyle said on March 19, 2017 at 4:53 p.m.

... I like FANG.

Balrog1984 said on March 19, 2017 at 4:55 p.m.

How is that sf4 revival going?

heartattack said on March 19, 2017 at 4:57 p.m.

In a game where GUESSING is important, should be 3/5 entire to actually eliminate whos guessing better.

mUpKnrush said on March 19, 2017 at 4:58 p.m.

Hahahahaha seriously. I personally don't miss that game one bit.

Abbadon36 said on March 19, 2017 at 5:01 p.m.

Or just balance to game out more.
3/5 will just show what is up even more i think.
The "where did me health go" characters are currently the best.
So i guess do it.
it will give more information so a proper(hopefully) patch can be done.
But maybe im on tilt since I spent the last hour fighting Guile and Balrog.

heartattack said on March 19, 2017 at 5:02 p.m.

LOL the best answer ever.

Gellus said on March 19, 2017 at 5:02 p.m.

GUESSING is important in every fighting game, ever

The difference is that people with skill call it reading

riku157 said on March 19, 2017 at 5:02 p.m.

That would work. In a decent amount of tournaments it would be ridiculous to do 3/5 the entire way through so this would be something simple that can be applied to all tournaments.

minato808 said on March 19, 2017 at 5:02 p.m.

If the tournament is run well without players sitting and not playing an actual match for hours in a day like Capcom Cup was first to 3 would be great.

mUpKnrush said on March 19, 2017 at 5:09 p.m.

Yeah seriously. I wouldn't want to play a fighting game that doesn't involve any reading my opponant or "guessing". Or would you rather just no guessing on defense after getting hit by a sweep or throw like in SF4? Personally I wasn't a big fan of all the unblockable setups in that game from every hard knockdown. Dealing with a 50/50 in SF5 still isn't advantageous, but at least you have an intuitive answer on how to deal with it. A 50/50 guess is better than an unwinnable situation afterall.

Now more to the actual article. The way SF5 is now I think 3/5 makes sense. But I'd like if they simply just toned down everyones damage but kept it at 2/3.

kukuteku said on March 19, 2017 at 5:10 p.m.

EVO would last 3 Weeks..... 2/3 all the way, 3/5 on top 8... in Capcom cup Yes, because will be the best 32 players in the busines

grass said on March 19, 2017 at 5:11 p.m.

time is an issue,but if possible do 3/5

heartattack said on March 19, 2017 at 5:11 p.m.

I agree. Reading is above guessing.
but.. guess Ive got loads of options against guessing you and you have only one option reading me?
so whats the verdict, judge?

Spades said on March 19, 2017 at 5:11 p.m.

The only thing SFV robbed from SFIV is the CPT. What SFV didn't rob from SFIV is it's community which died off and separated on it's own. It's dry as a sahara desert and there's very few people trying to re-build it's community at the moment.

The faith of the SFIV community literally depended on a giant check that Capcom shifted over to SFV. All they do now is blame SFV for their own wrongdoings.

If you hate SFV that much, then just go re-build the SFIV community. Represent your game like people are doing for SFV. Nobody's stopping you except yourself so you can complain some more about SFV.

Trollom said on March 19, 2017 at 5:12 p.m.

man I looked at the banner and I immediately knew it was from Velociraptor, boy was I ever so correct again =-D

RebornOdin said on March 19, 2017 at 5:19 p.m.

ChoseDeath said on March 19, 2017 at 5:40 p.m.

I thumbed that up so hard I dislocated my joint.

heartattack said on March 19, 2017 at 5:46 p.m.

brutal eh? of course hence the patch.

HooliganComboFTW said on March 19, 2017 at 5:49 p.m.

Pools for a 1 vs 1 fighter should always be 2/3. Tourneys always run late as it is and you want to stretch that longer?

lh said on March 19, 2017 at 5:50 p.m.

Round 1 should be low damage and lots of combo scaling, to give the players a chance to get to know each other,
round 2 should be high/higher damage

ShinjiMimura said on March 19, 2017 at 5:53 p.m.

Lol@"robbed"

Sry Luffy, but if you lose 2 straight, even if you wound up winning 3 immediately after, the point remains: you had two games to adapt and didn't. Take your 0-2 and learn to adapt faster.

CreepShowKid said on March 19, 2017 at 5:53 p.m.

i bet you are one of the ppl that called SFIV trash as soon as they announced 5 right? :) But now since the bandwagon hates 5 you revoked your original statement. How about grabbing an original thought

MyKiLL said on March 19, 2017 at 6:16 p.m.

Just.
Stop talking.

Please.

heartattack said on March 19, 2017 at 6:36 p.m.

why, though? :(
lets accept that this game bacome rubbish..

hmmm (sobs)

Model_M said on March 19, 2017 at 6:40 p.m.

I agree with Ibuki

riku157 said on March 19, 2017 at 6:49 p.m.

It's just that your later posts aren't even trying to make any decent points or don't make sense at all. You're basically just spamming now.

Doh_Simpson said on March 19, 2017 at 7:21 p.m.

You obviously couldn't get into SFIV, there were defensive options so guessing wasn't the entirety of the game. guessing, was very minimalistic so there was more thinking involved and I can see how that was a problem for u.

EnsignHiro said on March 19, 2017 at 7:41 p.m.

3/5 only if the number of entrants isnt super high. Example if it is anywhere near 400 plus then forget it. Only main thing to note is sf v isnt known for timeouts so it could be possible.

sandyhamburgerbuns said on March 19, 2017 at 7:56 p.m.

3/5 whenever possible

Xykes said on March 19, 2017 at 8:11 p.m.

Is this going to be another "Capcom Cup" where everyone begged for 3/5, and then afterwards everyone complained about 3/5?

celeon said on March 19, 2017 at 8:13 p.m.

hard to play SFV and not having that feeling of being robbed, /kappa.

NotOneOfUs said on March 19, 2017 at 8:57 p.m.

But everyone likes that banner.

And yes, 3/5 for the entire tournament. Even if I lost my first game last Saturday because it was 3/5 and not 2/3. Opponent adapted to me better than I adapted to him, and he came out on top because of it, as it should be.

downvote said on March 19, 2017 at 9 p.m.

Considering the size of tournaments doing 3/5 for the entire thing is too much fatigue on the players.

2/3 then 3/5 is fine.

Kavey said on March 19, 2017 at 10:29 p.m.

Guessing isn't thinking? Stupid dictionary definitions always conflating meanings and confusing me. STUPID, STUPID! At least EH comments got my back.

heartattack said on March 19, 2017 at 10:53 p.m.

yeah? just because I said some characters have less chance to read than others that have a lot chances to guess?

BringDaRufus said on March 19, 2017 at 11:15 p.m.

Aha ! As a Rufus main back in the Sf4 series, I can't tell how many times I stole matches just by doing dive kick, target combo to Ultra...we didn't play the same game obviously.

XNO said on March 20, 2017 at 1:51 a.m.

Players with cpt point should seed directly to top 32 in 3/5, then others fight in pool 2/3

Like in tennis atp...

rogueish1 said on March 20, 2017 at 3:49 a.m.

2/3 is fine.
3/5 is too time consuming in this game

ijuka said on March 20, 2017 at 5:14 a.m.

Super smash bros melee is 16 years old and has a huge community.

If SF4 is so good and has so many dedicated followers, where is the huge SF4 community and where are the tournaments? Note that Super smash bros melee didn't have any sponsored tournaments for 5+ years even after the successor to it was released. The community supported it on its own.

ikarinokami said on March 20, 2017 at 7:50 a.m.

Luffy vs RB sxsw perfect example of 2/3 vs 3/5.

chemicali said on March 20, 2017 at 8:49 a.m.

3/5 rounds and 3/5 sets are two different things. 3/5 rounds would change the meta and be less time consuming.

allero said on March 20, 2017 at 9:52 a.m.

el fuerte stay dead with sf4 plz :D

allero said on March 20, 2017 at 9:54 a.m.

seeing luffy adapting like a boss was beautiful

Einhander said on March 20, 2017 at 12:03 p.m.

Wow, again! My Cassandra Complex is mentally infuriating my soul. I think every article on here now will regurgitate a post from me saying "I told you so". Welcome to what I've been saying since the start of the Season 1 CPT over a year ago. It really is frustrating to see all of these things come to fruition months and months ahead of time, getting sh*t on, and then months later pros saying the exact same thing, and sheep following to say they've been saying that the whole time when they haven't...it gets old. When will I get offered a job from Capcom already?

Please note my post about this that I made literally over a year ago:

gilley said on March 20, 2017 at 12:18 p.m.

Title needs changed, Luffy's talking about 3/5 matches, not rounds.

BluegrassNutmeg said on March 20, 2017 at 12:22 p.m.

Yea was saying a few days ago 3\5 just makes sense in this game where one wrong guess and you're f*cked. 3\5 is way more accurate in determining the winner....I voted 2\3 though for pools purely for time. 3\5 for the rest makes tons of sense. Matches move pretty quickly whereas 3\5 for SF4 could get preeeetty preeeetty pretty boring.

Bring 3\5 option to online!

Stiqman said on March 20, 2017 at 6:15 p.m.

as a spectator 3/5 takes way too long thru pools. top 8 is fine