Tekken 7 will feature two more guest characters from other video game franchises after launch - other DLC plans also detailed

Posted by Nicholas 'MajinTenshinhan' Taylor • March 16, 2017 at 6 a.m. PDT

Bandai Namco announced today that Tekken 7: Fated Retribution, which is set to be released on on June 2nd, 2017, will be receiving additional guest characters besides Street Fighter's Akuma down the line.

Other DLC plans were also detailed, with the first batch, containing a brand new mode and over 50 costumes for the game's characters, set for a Summer 2017 release.

Continue below for the scarce details we currently know about the additional non-Tekken character DLC.

It was stated by Bandai Namco that two different characters from other video game properties than Tekken, alongside a special stage and special costumes both times, will be added to the game. The first is set for Winter 2017, and the second for Spring 2018.

These can each be purchased individually, but there will also be a Season Pass for the game, which grants 35 exclusive metallic costumes to buyers as well.

The only concrete details about the additional characters known so far is that they will be from other video games. Whether this means Bandai Namco is going to use their own characters from different franchises or if they have deals with different companies like they did with Akuma, and Dead or Alive has done recently with Virtua Fighter and King of Fighters characters, is currently anyone's guess.

Source: Bandai Namco Entertainment Europe. Thanks to Jookey for sending this our way.

Comments

chilldoman said on March 16, 2017 at 6:04 a.m.

Hoping it's not Ryu or Ken. Or even Chun-Li. Would be perfect if it were Terry Bogard and Geese Howard, but I guess I shouldn't hold my breath.

CRUZ said on March 16, 2017 at 6:05 a.m.

Diddn't Harada say if one more after Akuma, he would like it to be Geese Howard cause that would be awesome.

NyuBomber said on March 16, 2017 at 6:06 a.m.

- Marvel's Iron Fist. You can't have a "King of Iron Fist" tournament without Iron Fist! And with MvC Infinite coming up, ~synergy~. Special stage: K'un-Lun Dojo/Temple

- I can see a Virtua Fighter character coming in.

bellerophon82 said on March 16, 2017 at 6:06 a.m.

king of fighters please

Skull_007 said on March 16, 2017 at 6:09 a.m.

I'll take Asura and Gene

If f-----g capcom won't do it, then the least they can do is to lend them to someone else

Heta said on March 16, 2017 at 6:10 a.m.

Zoinks what a scoop. Please be Taki and Chun-Li let's go! Or if not another SF character then surprise me Namco :) so excited. One Naruto game had Lars as a guest character please put Kakashi in Tekken would be a dream come true.

KYLIOKEN said on March 16, 2017 at 6:11 a.m.

Somebody from soul calibur

sasukelover12 said on March 16, 2017 at 6:11 a.m.

i hope its Ryu <3

GTVladozuka said on March 16, 2017 at 6:12 a.m.

Geese would rock hard, he doesn't depend on his projectiles as much. Apart from that, a Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, even Mortal Kombat, buy please. o Dynasty Warriors like in DoA.!

Tekkenator said on March 16, 2017 at 6:14 a.m.

Geese Howard and Howard the Duck. That'd make a fun pair :-P

Though if anyone from Soul Calibur or Rival Schools or another series we haven't seen in a while made it in, that'd be amazeballs.

Dude130 said on March 16, 2017 at 6:15 a.m.

Terry Bogard and Akira

Evorgleb said on March 16, 2017 at 6:15 a.m.

I pretty much expected the standard comment about how Tekken is "doing DLC right giving fans what they want" compared to Capcom. I'll give it a few more minutes.

Turbanator said on March 16, 2017 at 6:18 a.m.

It's really hard to overlook a paid game mode, which even Capcom doesn't do.

giru017 said on March 16, 2017 at 6:26 a.m.

Geese Howard please! He would fit in so well into the Tekken universe and gameplay style. As for the 2nd character, I imagine it could be someone from Dead or Alive or Virtua Fighter.

pistol_sam said on March 16, 2017 at 6:27 a.m.

Sarah Bryant :-)

lfs said on March 16, 2017 at 6:29 a.m.

Terry,Link or haohmaru.

triplefierce said on March 16, 2017 at 6:41 a.m.

It could be a character not of the fighting game genre. They did have Gon the dinosaur in Tekken 3.

icejohn said on March 16, 2017 at 6:51 a.m.

Just make sure you get your fan favorites in there first, and i wont mind. Still got three more tekken characters the people have been waiting for to be announced.

AveMcree said on March 16, 2017 at 7 a.m.

Yeah an SNK character like Iori or Yakuzama would make everyone happy. I just want to see Tekken back on top again. Tekken was the sole purpose why fighting games stayed relevant in the mid late 90's. Especially tekken 3. That was the first fighter where I actually tried to "Git Good" at playing.

mrHowlll said on March 16, 2017 at 7:06 a.m.

I hope both characters are from different franchises/games and that neither is a shoto archetype ie no ryu

shakunetsu said on March 16, 2017 at 7:10 a.m.

Terry, Akira and Kazumi please

if that is exclusive capcom

let it be Claw or Chun..

Please no Ryu, Ken, Sakura and no Soul Calibur...

Discane said on March 16, 2017 at 7:13 a.m.

Darth Vader and Ezio Auditore

ninetalescommander said on March 16, 2017 at 7:14 a.m.

Calling it right now; They're gonna add in a Soul Calibur Character as advertisement for a new Soul Calibur Game.

Majin_LenOH said on March 16, 2017 at 7:16 a.m.

Benny The Ball

#TEKKENxTopCat

crashb2007 said on March 16, 2017 at 7:18 a.m.

This could either go very well or it could get into the weird territory... This feels like a double edged sword.

LarsMasters said on March 16, 2017 at 7:19 a.m.

* Ryu (who should be default along w/ Jun's corrupted form from TTT series in place of the original Jun)

Other potentials to be one of two DLC guests:
* Deadpool or Iron Fist (Marvel)
* Zasalamel (his SCIV ED is the reason)
* Akira Yuki (VF, requires a revamp to match Tekken gameplay)
* Kyo Kusanagi or Terry Bogard (KOF/AOF/FF/SS/LB/MS)
* Ryu Hayabusa (DOA/NG)

931223 said on March 16, 2017 at 7:25 a.m.

Rock howard would be awesome

maddog666 said on March 16, 2017 at 7:29 a.m.

yagami e kusanagi

Breadwp said on March 16, 2017 at 7:31 a.m.

Maybe they will put FANG in Tekken since they never put him in SFV.

Milicona said on March 16, 2017 at 7:40 a.m.

Akira from VF and Christie from DoA. Yeah

Dperiod said on March 16, 2017 at 7:40 a.m.

Am I the only who wants a virtual fighter appearance? I would love to see akira and wolf in tekken!

skid5jack said on March 16, 2017 at 7:44 a.m.

I love the idea of a KOF crossover. Geese and Bogard would be amazeballs

Discane said on March 16, 2017 at 7:45 a.m.

They probably will pick more popular franchise than their own, not less popular).

masquedmonk said on March 16, 2017 at 7:47 a.m.

Eliza has a Reppuken.

Claudio has a Burn Knuckle.

Keep that Terry/Geese dream alive, because high chance one of them will make it.

DeePhenom said on March 16, 2017 at 7:51 a.m.

Every Tekken article on here always seems to have Akuma in the thumbnail.

Anyways I'm guessing it's another SF character.

Blade4693 said on March 16, 2017 at 7:52 a.m.

No more SF characters. Grab a MK,KOF, VOF, or DOA character. You already got a SF character in there lol

floorwalker said on March 16, 2017 at 7:56 a.m.

Zangief so he would fight the bears.

Phtm_Miria said on March 16, 2017 at 7:56 a.m.

Harada-san, please, give me Cammy :3

cadnexus said on March 16, 2017 at 7:58 a.m.

Of course it would not be Ryu or Ken it says other properties, so expect characters from Virtua Fighter, Kof, and or even Dead or Alive.

blazebwoy said on March 16, 2017 at 8 a.m.

Geese and a Power ranger or a Shone Jump Character,since Namco did games for the latter 2 franchises.

Kavey said on March 16, 2017 at 8:04 a.m.

They have a good relationship with Sega and Nintendo if it has to be one I hope it's a Sega character like Akira or something.

Other than that could be Namco's own characters or even other Capcom characters. They said other franchises not other companies.

XxAngelChunLixX said on March 16, 2017 at 8:19 a.m.

Makoto is beyond perfect.

Yuck at most of these picks. Terry is cool, the only tasteful choice I've seen besides the SFs.

I want to say Chun-Li of course, but they wouldn't do her any justice I feel. Same way I feel about VF characters, and Soul Calibur, as much as I would love to see SOME kind of love for the game, Tekken is the inferior game, Soul Calibur characters would feel like a downgrade..as if SCV wasn't a downgrade enough.

I would also be more excited for a crossover if the characters had some kind of interactions. But we don't see any type of attention shown to any character that isn't the over saturated 3. Which is a shame. Give us some character interaction/dialogue.

malcrash01 said on March 16, 2017 at 8:21 a.m.

Pac Man for Tekken 7

EnemyAI said on March 16, 2017 at 8:22 a.m.

Geese Howard in Tekken 7... that would be sick.

BoscaBat said on March 16, 2017 at 8:24 a.m.

Normally I'd agree, but this time they are talking about new guest characters and Akuma is a guest.

I like all the Akira Yuki love and so hope he's one. I just honestly don't want another SF character. Give us 3 unique characters total, then so it's one from Capcom, SEGA and SNK. Perfect mix imo.

ThaiSenpai said on March 16, 2017 at 8:34 a.m.

It'll be Ivy to generate interest in a new soul caliber

YorKeY said on March 16, 2017 at 8:39 a.m.

a little birdie told me it's not gonna be a Street Fighter character, think Namco, think Soul Calibur and something else.

Discane said on March 16, 2017 at 8:51 a.m.

Link and Bayonetta

badjab326 said on March 16, 2017 at 8:51 a.m.

Honestly I'm not super happy about this. Tekken is a franchise with rich characters and a unique style, I'm one of the few who think Akuma is a terrible match for this game and tbh I don't think that there's any franchise that can successfully cross overand mesh well. KoF and SF mesh because they have fairly similar gameplay, same for VF and DoA. The game that has the closest combat to Tekken is probably modern MK but the characters in MK would look super out of place. So Tekken really shouldn't be adding crossover characters, especially when so many fan favorites are left out. But people are stupid and didn't buy TTT2 (the best Tekken game) so whatever. If it weren't coming out on PC I wouldn't be supporting this game on release.

JuriBreh said on March 16, 2017 at 8:51 a.m.

Akira and Iori.

GamerBear said on March 16, 2017 at 8:52 a.m.

Who the fawk is "Yakuzama"?

Lash2828 said on March 16, 2017 at 8:52 a.m.

And then it was a Tales character because Namco Bandai.

GamerBear said on March 16, 2017 at 8:53 a.m.

Pretty much this, I'm not that into crossover characters in a main title game.

StarBuster said on March 16, 2017 at 8:53 a.m.

Goh Hinogami

BoscaBat said on March 16, 2017 at 8:53 a.m.

Taki and King of all Cosmos? :P

Raiden8 said on March 16, 2017 at 8:59 a.m.

Sagat and Sakura. calling it now

Xar5000 said on March 16, 2017 at 9:08 a.m.

I never been a fan of guest characters of any kind to a solid franchise. Tekken is a world of its own but they decided to cross paths. Maybe to bring more sales?

But if they are going to add more. They should focus guest characters from another franchise at a limit. I hate to see Tekken a all star battle game.

xdbs said on March 16, 2017 at 9:18 a.m.

That's awesome! But unfortuantely being a PC gamer and no crossplay, looks like my tekken 7 dreams have just been crushed. Not sure if I should even get it as PC gamers in USA don't really purchase fighting games. :(

SSfox said on March 16, 2017 at 9:22 a.m.

Tifa and Wesker #PLEASE

Bop268170 said on March 16, 2017 at 9:24 a.m.

I hope it's TWO Ryu's! :D

NaughtyJuri said on March 16, 2017 at 9:24 a.m.

Let it be cammy or juri in 3D omg ♡

Raver1601 said on March 16, 2017 at 9:26 a.m.

(First of all, I know damn well that it reads "other fighting game series", so save your bitchin' for later)

Everyone here hopin for Terry and Geese, while here's hopin for Ichigo Kurosaki and Grimmjow Jaegerjaquez, which both appears as a test or teaser for a new Bleach fighting game Bandai Namco will publish. But hey, it's just a wish that will unlikely come true

pegotaku said on March 16, 2017 at 9:31 a.m.

That new game mode better be Tekken Ball.

Tekkenator said on March 16, 2017 at 9:32 a.m.

Dude, that'd be almost too awesome!

LeonX said on March 16, 2017 at 9:40 a.m.

Like Bleach Heat the Soul for PSP?

Heta said on March 16, 2017 at 9:43 a.m.

Best suggestion so far.

SSfox said on March 16, 2017 at 9:53 a.m.

LMAO people that have only Fighting Games Characters names in their mouths when it comes to guest Characters

dugthefreshest said on March 16, 2017 at 10:11 a.m.

Remember when both NRS and Namco said there wont be microtransactions in their new games?

StormShadowPR said on March 16, 2017 at 10:20 a.m.

It's probably going to be Geese. It HAS to be a KOF characters as they've been featured in a ton of games as of late, DOA, Final Fantasy, and a ton of mobile games.

masquedmonk said on March 16, 2017 at 10:23 a.m.

Harada has always said he wanted to do a massive fighting game crossover, right? So logically, having fighting game guest characters in Tekken scratches that itch without the rigamarole of getting the license for a ton of characters or creating an entire game from scratch.

Although if they're going to do other than that, they might as well get Gon back.

LeonX said on March 16, 2017 at 10:33 a.m.

Can't wait for Tekken 7 :D Thanks for Eliza Harada-san \o/ Anyone after her is a bonus for me <3

Zakatek said on March 16, 2017 at 10:34 a.m.

I hope there will be a Snk character also Kung Fury would be an awesome Tekken character.

Zephyrus said on March 16, 2017 at 11 a.m.

so I was right when I said the dlc characters would be guest characters.

Hopefully Geese Howard is one of them. I wouldn't want Akira because he's not only boring, but Leo has the same style and her moveset is a lot cooler.

If there's a God, the dlc are Geese and Ryu Hayabusa.

theshredder39 said on March 16, 2017 at 11:16 a.m.

I can absolutely see a KOF character being one of them, can't think of what series the other character would be from, maybe Virtua Fighter? I'd be down with Akira being in this game.

I want to say a Soul Calibur character (Ya know, besides Yoshimitsu.) just cause that would probably be the easiest to pull from since it's within the same company but I dunno, I feel like a character like Nightmare would break Tekken in half just from how big his sword is with all that reach, we'll see what it ends up being.

Byzantine_Mage said on March 16, 2017 at 11:22 a.m.

I would honestly prefer chars from 3d games over 2d chars.
I want to see Sophitia or Taki from SC and Helena or Ayane from DOA.
Also f*** Cammy & Chun-Li! If a 2d female deserves the guest character spot that would be Poison. Period <3

Byzantine_Mage said on March 16, 2017 at 11:24 a.m.

SC yes! I would pay triple the current game price to have a Tekken X SC crossover! Kuni & Taki Tag Team! :D

raymk said on March 16, 2017 at 11:31 a.m.

Theres only like 1 fan favorite left and other character's that just have fans but not many. Basically the rest of the missing character's aren't gonna sell the game, not by a long shot.

raymk said on March 16, 2017 at 11:34 a.m.

Far to obscure so not really. You kind of want a character people know ya know?

Dimensional said on March 16, 2017 at 11:44 a.m.

I just hope whoever they add they do it well. Soul Calibur has been their guest series and unless you count yoshimitsu as a guest they have all been awful additions.

That said Akuma has been done great in T7 and DOA5 has also used guest characters wonderfully so it gives me hope.

If they add a SC character I would take it even if they fit terribly (as they most likely would) as long as we get a new proper SC game.

DMCMaster said on March 16, 2017 at 11:46 a.m.

Come on Kiryu Kazuma.

Heta said on March 16, 2017 at 11:51 a.m.

I'm aware that was more of me being a selfish prick after seeing my favorite VF character mentioned. I'm not worried who they end up being Murray said people will be hype about their choices so popular characters incoming.

BlackMasamune said on March 16, 2017 at 12:03 p.m.

I'm sure one of them will be Mr. Karate.

Afterburn said on March 16, 2017 at 12:20 p.m.

This. So much this!

He fits the sometimes serious, sometimes whacky Tekken world so perfectly.

VanCityPlayboy said on March 16, 2017 at 12:35 p.m.

Wolf Hawkfield. Don't like Vitrua Fighter that much but please. He would be awesome in Tekken

masquedmonk said on March 16, 2017 at 12:39 p.m.

I'm down with this.

DeathCom said on March 16, 2017 at 12:42 p.m.

Adding Taki to T7 would be awesome! It would both confirm they are trying to gauge interest in a new Soulcalibur and she would be a totally different style than Master Raven (who may end up being the reason they don't, she already has a modernized Taki look).

But I feel it will be others from Capcom, considering the working relationship. Chun Li is the obvious choice for another SF character. There is also Morrigan, her inclusion would also be very welcome and serve to gauge interest in more Darkstalkers.

Whoever the character is, you can bet on one thing. The character came to them free, cheap, or part of an existing deal.

FightDirty said on March 16, 2017 at 12:45 p.m.

This is awesome news.

zherow said on March 16, 2017 at 1:07 p.m.

I know that the odds are none to none, but how crazy would it be if they brought either 'Godhand' Ken or Wolf Girl Jo over from Ehrgeiz?

NM_Flamez said on March 16, 2017 at 2:10 p.m.

Akira Yuki and Soul Calibur character please. Like Nightmare!

bcarrdi said on March 16, 2017 at 2:45 p.m.

Im pretty sure the guest characters will be from the Street Fighter franchise. It would make to much sense.

1) As a poster above mentioned, Namco is probably looking for guest characters whose licences are cheap to clear. Akuma made it into T7 because they got his rights absolutely free. According to a Michael Murray interview Namco allowed Capcom to use their copyrighted training modes for SFV and in exchange Capcom extended the rights to Akuma for T7. Namco already has rights to use many SF characters

2) SF characters would make sense story wise. Since Akuma is canon in T7 further SF characters can be introduced without jumping through whole lot of plotline hoops.

3) A ton of work has already been done on Tekken vs Street Fighter. The guest characters are probably mostly developed already and this is chance to beta test them for the release of TXSF.

4) Marketing. Good way to transition to the full crossover game from a marketing standpoint.

lulipe said on March 16, 2017 at 3:27 p.m.

Hagar and Geese.

AngriestAngryArtist said on March 16, 2017 at 3:58 p.m.

" One Naruto game had Lars as a guest character please put Kakashi in Tekken would be a dream come true."

Yup...it's starting.

AngriestAngryArtist said on March 16, 2017 at 4:01 p.m.

Oh god hell will froze over if Ryu hayabusa's in tekken.

can't wait for Itagaki's response LOL!

Byzantine_Mage said on March 16, 2017 at 4:31 p.m.

They love touching themselves each time they see an Akuma picture.

KingGold said on March 16, 2017 at 5:36 p.m.

Meh, if they fail to bring out Kunimitsu in the first place, the game will be moot. Any guest character won't matter to me.

crashb2007 said on March 16, 2017 at 7:26 p.m.

I rather have a character that is a bit closer ranged than Nightmare... He's waaay too broken for Tekken. Besides, never liked him at all...

insanekyo said on March 16, 2017 at 8:04 p.m.

I think it would be pretty wild if sagat showed up here of all places.

Heta said on March 17, 2017 at 1:17 a.m.

What starts?

Almighty_Omega said on March 17, 2017 at 1:43 a.m.

I hope they add some DOA Characters to Tekken 7 and add Tekken Characters to DOA5LR would be hype !!!

fgclolz said on March 17, 2017 at 2:15 a.m.

Might be 1 character from DOA and 1 character from VF. If Akuma was meant to get SF players to get their feet wet with Tekken, what a "better" way to get the player base from either game to try Tekken.

Load more comments