Like Street Fighter? Enjoy card games? You'll love this

Posted by John 'Velociraptor' Guerrero • March 8, 2017 at 5:16 p.m. PST

While the card game itself isn't new, the line of 20 Street Fighter characters that are coming out for it most certainly are.

Universal Fighting System (UFS) is a collectible card game featuring IPs from various fighting game franchises such as Darkstalkers, King of Fighters, Soulcalibur, Mortal Kombat and plenty others. This means you'll inevitably have bouts between fighters like Sagat and Scorpion, or Akuma and Mega Man.

So far Ryu, Zangief, Cammy, Sakura, Chun-Li, Sagat, Akuma, Dhalsim, M. Bison, Ken, Fei Long, and Guile have been revealed for the latest expansion, with eight more SF characters on the way. Here are a few examples of the cards from UFS:

SF on UFS image #1 SF on UFS image #2 SF on UFS image #3 SF on UFS image #4
Click images for larger versions

Check out the Street Fighter deck trailer below.

Check out JascoGames for more info on how to play UFS. Thanks to Unit10971, Dezmu and Sean_Saibot for the tips.

Comments

celeon said on March 8, 2017 at 5:23 p.m.

rock scissor paper strategy?

Lash2828 said on March 8, 2017 at 5:24 p.m.

Aw yeah, TCG!

malcrash01 said on March 8, 2017 at 5:28 p.m.

I want to get some just because of the art alone. Looks fantastic and I hope there are variants

Organous said on March 8, 2017 at 5:31 p.m.

UFS is needlessly complicated. Yomi is a far better representation of a fighter game.

DinosaurCop said on March 8, 2017 at 5:33 p.m.

Oh man I remember this game from a while back. Tried really hard to get my friends to play, but I couldn't get it to catch on. Hoping that now, with the internet being what it is, I can find some folks to play with.

ScarletTerror said on March 8, 2017 at 5:42 p.m.

In the past, there has also been KOFMI2/2006, Samurai Shodown 6, DarkStalkers, Street Fighter III, and others in this game.

ShinjiMimura said on March 8, 2017 at 5:52 p.m.

Been playing since 2006. Forget Magic, Yugioh, Pokemon, and Yomi; this is THE card game.

Don't listen to Organous; it's only complicated when you begin because it's, y'know, something you don't know how to play yet. Once you learn how to play, all the matches flow smoothly.

Moreover, the game's entirely balanced, and the literal creators of the game have direct conversations with the fans. As in, if you think something's overpowered, you can talk to them and let your voice be heard.

On the bright side, though, UFS is a game where literally all characters are viable. Do you like Ryu? B.B. Hood? Mega Man? All can win tournaments. It's about your knowledge of the character - not which character you choose - that determines your ability to win.

Highly recommend; I've played all the TCGs, and this is the only one that's kept me going now 11 years strong.

delamarche said on March 8, 2017 at 6:14 p.m.

Surprised at the lack of snarky comments about this game having higher execution ceiling than SF5.

metaf4 said on March 8, 2017 at 6:30 p.m.

Well based on the card packaging, Sagat is in the game so already it's looking better than SFV. Kappa :P

dfly said on March 8, 2017 at 6:37 p.m.

So you decided to fan the flames by bringing it up 😶

Doh_Simpson said on March 8, 2017 at 6:38 p.m.

This might have a better server.

BuddhaRahl said on March 8, 2017 at 6:40 p.m.

I played Ufs for a couple years but it died out competitively in my area. I still have all my card though.

Agentownshiprebelion said on March 8, 2017 at 6:41 p.m.

Is this what I was thinking about during the Mk vs street fighter discussion? Thought I heard anrgy Joe was working on it but my memory is crap.

Was thinking I'd like to play at least one card game.
Is all of it just re-used art though?

BlackMasamune said on March 8, 2017 at 6:59 p.m.

They should make a card game based on FGC players.

ScrubStep said on March 8, 2017 at 7:10 p.m.

All re-used artwork, seems lazy.

ShinjiMimura said on March 8, 2017 at 7:20 p.m.

There is new art, it just depends on the franchise and what's available.

Capcom (as well as SNK, Namco, etc) allows use of any of its imagery, which, in my view, is a whole lot sexier than some independent artist who could potentially make the characters look too different than the fans would like.

RisingStar said on March 8, 2017 at 7:45 p.m.

Is there Dudley, Hugo, Q or Urien?

RandomSelectMaster said on March 8, 2017 at 7:54 p.m.

So they call the card game Street Fighter, but they are including many game IPs? Interesting.

Shiro_420 said on March 8, 2017 at 8:06 p.m.

Spoken like a true scrub

Shiro_420 said on March 8, 2017 at 8:07 p.m.

This set is the street fighter set.

The card game is called universal. Fighting system

xRELLIKx said on March 8, 2017 at 8:33 p.m.

Still need few Genjuro promo's finish a deck, hit me up :^)

Outside of so many attack class/element/symbol things wasnt too bad.

GamerBear said on March 8, 2017 at 9:05 p.m.

It's the kinda thing I could definitely see myself getting interested in and then realizing I have absolutely no-one to play it with.

RLAAMJR said on March 8, 2017 at 10:47 p.m.

I want the darkstalers ones,

BunnyBoy said on March 9, 2017 at 2:39 a.m.

This is the one time where I'd actually be interested in playing one of these trading card games.

yes4me said on March 9, 2017 at 2:59 a.m.

Sorry to be a downer, but Hearthstone presentation and mechanics at first glance look better. Maybe my opinion will change when the game get released, but this is definitely an uphill battle.

powerman365 said on March 9, 2017 at 5:35 a.m.

YOUR DOING THIS NOW ARE YOU FOR REAL DID YOU JUST FIND THIS NOW ANYWAY PLAY MTG ITS A WAY BETTER FOR YOUR TIME BECAUSE PEOPLE PLAY IT AND YOU CAN FIND A GAME UFS IS NOT A VERY POPULAR CARD GAME I PLAY ALOT OF GAMES MAGIC D&D AND GOOD OLD SF TO NAME A FEW THE IDEA IS FUN BUT IN THE END THIS IS A WASTE OF YOUR TIME AND MONEY IF YOU WANT TO SPEND YOU MONEY ON SOMETHING WITH RANDOM FIGHTING GAME CHARS. ON THEM BUY COMIC BOOKS THEY ARE JUST AS RANDOM AND YOU CAN STILL COLLECT THEM

ButterKnife said on March 9, 2017 at 8:23 a.m.

Yomi is the best fighting card game. No competition. It actually plays like a fighting game. It's not about customizing your deck. It's about becoming a master with your character.

Second best I ever played was the Dragonball Z CCG. Although that game was bit unbalanced and wacky.

As for UFS... the positives are that it had/has lots of characters and cool art. The fact that my favorite obscure characters (Lizardman and Twelve) were available as starter decks was awesome.

The negatives are that UFS was bloated and not fun. It didn't feel like a fighting game. The momentum system was clumsy and hard to explain to new players.

Dezmu said on March 9, 2017 at 10:33 a.m.

Couldn't be further from the truth. This game is more similar to magic in terms of forms, responses etc.

Jas_Car said on March 9, 2017 at 11:19 a.m.

Hi Agent - there'll be some iconic Capcom and Udon stuff but also a large percentage of new/original art that will be exclusive for this Street Fighter set. I can personally attest to that! ;)

n9195v said on March 9, 2017 at 4:28 p.m.

All character's confirmed, besides two mystery ones! Check their face book! https://www.facebook.com/PlayUFS/