When's Mahvel? Here are the upcoming 2017 fighting games our readers are most excited for

Posted by Nicholas 'MajinTenshinhan' Taylor • February 1, 2017 at 12:50 p.m. PST

Updated: And the results are in! To see how our readers voted, be sure to hit the jump.

Earlier: We've got quite a few fighting games set to be released in 2017 from a variety of developers - and surely even more to be announced throughout the year, such as SNK's currently secret projects.

Even beyond the fighting games not yet released, there's a lot more content coming up for games like Street Fighter 5 and Killer Instinct, so it's a good time to be a fighting game enthusiast.

But, of the games set to be officially released next year, which one are you looking forward to the most? I thought we'd need an official poll to decide something of this magnitude, so you can find it down below.

Which 2017 fighting game are you most looking forward to?

1. Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite: 306 votes / 53.0%
2. Tekken 7: Fated Retribution: 173 votes / 30.0%
3. Injustice 2: 61 votes / 10.6%
4. Other (specify in comments): 21 votes / 3.6%
5. Arms: 14 votes / 2.4%
6. Brawlhalla: 2 votes / 0.3%

Total votes: 577

Voting has closed

It's a pretty sweet lineup, but my vote just has to go to Tekken 7: Fated Retribution. It's been a long wait, and I can't wait for my Tekken itch to be scratched. What's your pick? Did we miss any game? Let us know in the comments.

Comments

Burning_Typhoon said on January 28, 2017 at 10:33 a.m.

I will be getting MvC and Tekken, and playing both at the same time. Favorite 2D and 3D fighters. Wish I had a new virtua fighter too.

Professor_Icepick said on January 28, 2017 at 10:34 a.m.

Gotta be MvCI. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for Tekken 7, Injustice 2 and Arms as well. But nothing tops a return to MvC1-era 2v2 for me.

CODYYY said on January 28, 2017 at 10:34 a.m.
Qwellow47 said on January 28, 2017 at 10:35 a.m.

Mahvel and Tekker Forsure

mUpKnrush said on January 28, 2017 at 10:35 a.m.

Virtua Fighter 6

... :(

Blackoshinomi said on January 28, 2017 at 10:36 a.m.

Marvel infinite is obviously going to win this poll

We know everyting about the rest of the games on this list . All we know about MVCI is Gems & 2v2

Discane said on January 28, 2017 at 10:37 a.m.

Eliza simulator 7

mUpKnrush said on January 28, 2017 at 10:37 a.m.

haha yeah its true, its definately the game i want to see most from on the list. Tekken 7s been out for years in arcades so we know what to expect.

sku said on January 28, 2017 at 10:38 a.m.

Honestly I'm more excited for Arms than Injustice 2. I guess I'm just more into Master Mummy than I am Batman.

Neclord said on January 28, 2017 at 10:40 a.m.

Rev2 update. =)

MonoChrome said on January 28, 2017 at 10:41 a.m.

MvCI and Rev2 for me. Baiken waifu sealed the deal for sure haha XD

CityHunter said on January 28, 2017 at 10:45 a.m.

Does Tekken7 still count as a new game? Honeslty Injustice 2 looks pretty cool and it might be the first nrs game Im interested in. But MvC Infinite is the only thing that matter.
VOTEFORMARVEL

IkeMoses said on January 28, 2017 at 10:46 a.m.

I've been waiting for 2v2 Marvel with no assist characters for like 20 years.

ScrubStep said on January 28, 2017 at 10:47 a.m.

Neither of my tekken mains made it and injustice not coming to PC. Woulda been mahvel anyway though.

XxAngelChunLixX said on January 28, 2017 at 10:47 a.m.

Chun-Li's reveal trailer in Infinite and the PowerStone rep. I'm also expecting a legitimate story trailer from them if they expect us to buy that "we have a story this time" bs.

Fethennour said on January 28, 2017 at 10:48 a.m.

Tekken 7. Absolutely not interested in the other games.

malcrash01 said on January 28, 2017 at 10:48 a.m.

Although I am a fan of the Tekken series and Tekken 7 is almost among us, Marvel vs Capcom may take the cake for me.

That_guy_who_plays_DOA said on January 28, 2017 at 10:51 a.m.

That's nuts! Fans of Capcom Fighters are most excited for a new MVC???
Edit: I picked Injustice 2, but I'm still really stoked for a new MVC

JoeStarX said on January 28, 2017 at 10:53 a.m.

Tekken 7 without a doubt I need it in my life

BK said on January 28, 2017 at 10:54 a.m.

Tekken 7. Got too many 2D/2.5D game right now. Need something different right now. I can wait for the rest

JoeStarX said on January 28, 2017 at 10:55 a.m.

Speak for yourself troll. I wanted Tekken 7 long before Akuma. i would have rather another Street Fighter character instead of him anyway

MisguidedAngel said on January 28, 2017 at 10:56 a.m.

No matter which one you're excited for, you gotta admit...

What an incredible year for FGs. (Injustice for me... the beta is making me even more hype. But the other two are a close second)

spliffy_baz said on January 28, 2017 at 10:57 a.m.

LOL! As a now five year player of the last game they released I can say SEGA has abandoned us all (per usual).

FoShizzle93 said on January 28, 2017 at 11:01 a.m.

Easy question. IT'S MAHVEL BABY

HumanShirtRipper said on January 28, 2017 at 11:04 a.m.

Oh really what the f&$k is this? What fighter are you most excited for on a prominent Capcom site, wonder the results would be for number one on like tekken zaibatsu, dustloop or smashboards? How about a poll which people feel is the best sf?

Zeldasmash said on January 28, 2017 at 11:05 a.m.

Tekken, Marvel & Injustice all coming out in the same year. If Central Fiction would have gotten the dub, this would be the best year for fighting games bar none.

Phtm_Miria said on January 28, 2017 at 11:09 a.m.

I don't really like Marvel's gameplay, NRS games really fail to appeal me... Dhalsim Fighter and Brawlhalla, no thanks.
The game I actually want to give a try this year is Guilty Gear as they also added Baiken, but since that's not an option I'll pick Tekken, which I also planned to get sooner or later anyway.

I'm a hopeless Street Fighter fan anyway, I'm not changing my main game anytime soon.

cadnexus said on January 28, 2017 at 11:12 a.m.

Injustice 2 and MvC:I by far. Those two are equal excitement.

Chuck_Remixed said on January 28, 2017 at 11:15 a.m.

Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2. Yes, even tho its just an update and not full new title.

lfs said on January 28, 2017 at 11:16 a.m.

In my opinion we cant compare a 2D fighting game with a 3D fighting game, i personal prefer to play 2D fighting games and im above average , and i completely sucks in 3D fighting games i try Virtua fighter and i was very very bad, anyway I'll try my best to play Tekken 7 in a decent level.

EnemyAI said on January 28, 2017 at 11:20 a.m.

Tekken 7 for sure can't wait to see the final build and learn the game, MvCi is just at the end of the year and Injustice is not coming to PC.

Whengameswerefun said on January 28, 2017 at 11:22 a.m.

I can't wait for Tobal #3

Dperiod said on January 28, 2017 at 11:23 a.m.

Saturday night slammaster.

mUpKnrush said on January 28, 2017 at 11:24 a.m.

Tekken is MUCH simpler then Virtua Fighter so I wouldn't let that deter you. If you're good at 2d Fighters Tekken is pretty easy to transition into. Unlike VF, Tekken is mostly fought on the 2d plane due to the sidestepping being unreliable. Tekken is played with a more SF mindset where its hold back/down back to block and your poking/whiff punishing. It does however require a lot of dexterity with all of the movement options though.

BlackHart said on January 28, 2017 at 11:25 a.m.

you know brothas love mahvel. so its mahvel over here

GiBGUN said on January 28, 2017 at 11:28 a.m.

It's set to be a great year, but nothing would make me happier than a really updated, patched, fixed, enhanced version of SF5.

Phtm_Miria said on January 28, 2017 at 11:32 a.m.

Preach!

If Capcom can't turn things around within this year I'll be honestly worried about the future of the series. I'd hate to see Street Fighter lose its place in the FGC, and God please don't let Marvel take its place, I only like to watch that game, not play it.

Huschka said on January 28, 2017 at 11:37 a.m.

No Ultra Street Fighter II? LOL

MvC for sure.

kaDozer said on January 28, 2017 at 11:43 a.m.

That is most unfortunate......

MooMeowCat said on January 28, 2017 at 11:43 a.m.

Why nobody hyped for arms? D:

OGroach85 said on January 28, 2017 at 11:55 a.m.

Brutal paws of fury HD remix

Galletano said on January 28, 2017 at 11:57 a.m.

New Virtual Fighter or new Dead or alive.

GoldCarats said on January 28, 2017 at 12:03 p.m.

MVC free needless to say sickest exciting most importantly fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun fun game set to come free. lmao lol

NotOneOfUs said on January 28, 2017 at 12:09 p.m.

MvC:I for new games. Hoping this time I'll like the system.

What everything, Rev 2. Getting my Number 2 back with Baiken.

(one of these days, we'll get Bridget. One of these days...)

Mold_Monkey93 said on January 28, 2017 at 12:12 p.m.

I know. Who's tryna VF on psn? Phantom2k7

Salarian said on January 28, 2017 at 12:13 p.m.

I want Injustice 2 and Tekken 7

Too bad the Tekken 7 Collector's Edition is terrible though. Guess I'll get the Deluxe Edition. That Statue is horrendous and not worth the $150 pricetag.

el_Principe_de_Lety said on January 28, 2017 at 12:22 p.m.

So, I just realized it's really hard to search for new Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite information. Google just gives me mvc2 infinte combos

SSfox said on January 28, 2017 at 12:23 p.m.

Oops, tbh since BN finally gave a release date to T7 i forgot that there were other FG coming in 2017.

BluegrassNutmeg said on January 28, 2017 at 12:36 p.m.

Arms is my #2! After Infinite of obviously.

ChaoticChao said on January 28, 2017 at 12:39 p.m.

Making me choose between Marvel and Tekken...cruelty at its finest...

feiryuken8 said on January 28, 2017 at 12:45 p.m.

mahvel baby, playing for honor and sfv until then

RYU81 said on January 28, 2017 at 12:50 p.m.

arms lol

RLAAMJR said on January 28, 2017 at 12:50 p.m.

Ororo Munroe aka Storm for Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite

kumokgb said on January 28, 2017 at 12:56 p.m.

Uhhh.... Guilty Gear Revelator 2 isn't on the list? Even though it made the Evo line up?

Cammystrike said on January 28, 2017 at 1 p.m.

Mahvel!

AugustAPC said on January 28, 2017 at 1:14 p.m.

Injustice for me. Bigger DC fan than Marvel and I prefer solo fighters to team-based.

Overall, I'm excited for all four, but for me it'd be Injustice 2 > MvC:I > GG Rev 2 > Tekken 7

Not really excited for Arms, though it looks like it could be fun. I'll probably play it eventually.

Gam3B0y said on January 28, 2017 at 1:22 p.m.

of course Marvel !!!
this game has my Hope in the future of fighting games ... !!!

Xykes said on January 28, 2017 at 1:26 p.m.

Is that a new game?

Mac_Gargan said on January 28, 2017 at 1:30 p.m.

Playing Juggernaut DLC in the newwwww Mahvel.

TrueGamingGuru said on January 28, 2017 at 1:43 p.m.

The game I'm definitely looking forward is Tekken 7, can't wait to spend playtime with Lucky Chloe (far more than what I spend on EVO 15 & 16), checking out this game's customization, and see what the Story Mode has to offer. I do have fate in the Tekken Team to deliver quality for consoles.

Injustice 2 is something I do have some interest in part of the games gear customization especially the abilities you can equip.

Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite definitely have interest with part of the gameplay & gems which does remind Me of Marvel Super Heroes & other MVC games (before MVC2). However when it comes to quality, I don't have high hopes for Capcom which they would really need to deliver and not have too much problems.

NaughtyJuri said on January 28, 2017 at 1:45 p.m.

SFV,injustice 2,Tekken <3

Chuck_Remixed said on January 28, 2017 at 1:47 p.m.

Thats a update. Not a totally new title.

kumokgb said on January 28, 2017 at 2:03 p.m.

Is "Tekken 7" a new game? If Capcom decided to announce an "Ultra Street Fighter V" (I know they won't), you can be certain people would expect that on the list.

Also, considering Rev 2 is getting a disc release, yes, it's a new game. Just like BlazBlue Central Fiction was a new game.

Just like REVELATOR ITSELF was a new game.

MF_Shroom said on January 28, 2017 at 2:35 p.m.

Cvs3

TekkenLord said on January 28, 2017 at 3 p.m.

You're a damn troll. Lol No one gives a hoot about Akuma except to attract new players.

Gorehound said on January 28, 2017 at 3:05 p.m.

Way of the Warrior 2 still made by Naughty Dog!

TekkenLord said on January 28, 2017 at 3:06 p.m.

Please don't listen to this guy, he knows very little of Tekken. Tekken at high levels are very difficult to grasp. Obviously you can just play for fun and never learn the thechnical parts.

Batmang said on January 28, 2017 at 3:15 p.m.

As a filthy casual I'm looking forward to Injustice the most. But from a competitive standpoint I'm excited about Mahvel the most. FGC just isn't the same without a marvel game, I'm glad it's winning the charity drive for EVO.

masquedmonk said on January 28, 2017 at 3:18 p.m.

I'm actually with GibGun - I want to see SFV become not just merely good, but great - in the meantime I will continue to spend time on that as well as wait for Tekken (my vote) and Injustice 2.

Horseman_JD said on January 28, 2017 at 3:19 p.m.

Kinda digging all the PC players on here.. thought I was the only one lol

Alcarion said on January 28, 2017 at 3:36 p.m.

I'm not looking forward to any new fighting game they've all been getting worse as the time goes on to be honest. Injustice was a mess with the constant balancing, Mkx as well. UMVC never got tweaked and remained like mvc2 heavily lopsided few characters worth playing the rest were too far behind.

Tekken i like it but something about it rubs me the wrong way, the move list for characters is too big the combos never end rebounce wallbounces you are juggled until you die sometimes.

SFV i like the mechanics but the flaws are too many in the presentation and the netcode i waited 35 mins for a match today in Europe i mean comon?

I'd get guilty gear rev 2 to be honest but 6 months later and that version will be obsolete i never played much xrd and rev came out... no digital upgrade option full game release is a blow to the gut.

Skullgirls and KI are the only great additions to the fighting game pantheon in my opinion. Developers are saturating the market hoping to catch people with the craze of new fighting games since the massive SFIV success but people will get turned off by the them if the quality remains the same. Can you blame casual players after SFV, or the KOF14 presentation?

My two cents feel free to hate i'll go lift and smash my real life goals peace out.

mrHowlll said on January 28, 2017 at 3:39 p.m.

I am hoping for Dr. Wily to be playable utilizing a variety of powers from the classic robot masters (either summoning them as strikers or the powers are used by a mech similar to tron bonne's)

erkicman said on January 28, 2017 at 3:48 p.m.

My 2017 picks are Injustice 2 and Thems Fightin Herds

mUpKnrush said on January 28, 2017 at 4:20 p.m.

Tekken isn't very difficult to understand. Its really just simplified Virtua Fighter. As a result, it is played in a different way at high level(I find it more footsies based where Virtua Fighter is a bit more the technical in close fighting. For example: knowing weight classes, open stance/closed stance, multiple throw escapes and the amount of options you have in between strings or mix ups)

Tekken has more emphasis on the range game since the evade is kind of unreliable and the stages are much bigger. That doesn't make the game easy to play, but its a lot easier to grasp those concepts then the aforementioned things VF has. Tekken the in close fighting is a lot simpler and lows are WAY stronger in Tekken giving tactics like fuzzy guards less practical use(crouching a throw but standing in time to block a mid in certain disadvantages).

Throw teching in Tekken is just left arm/right arm where VF is the direction(forward, back, neutral, down forward, etc.). Another notable thing is the lack of a sideturn game in tekken. in vf when you evade or sideturn an opponant your moves gain additional advantage or special properties while they are sideturned.

Tekken oki is a lot scarier I find as well since rising attacks lack invulnerability.

Another notable difference is the stages. Tekken the stages are bigger/infinite so theres a lot of room to move around and fish for whiff punishment. Moves that have great pushback also set that up. In Virtua Fighter the stages are MUCH smaller and there are ringouts. You dont want to create that space too much and corner yourself. I find moves with good pushback I tend to use them more to push my opponant towards the edge more than I am trying to setup a whiff punish, but it does have that use in it as well.

Virtua Fighter also has sabakis(For example: SINGLE LIMBED mid punches, elbows and high punches, but will lose to moves that use two fists or a kick) where Tekken 7 has armor attacks which beat high and mid simply. Tekken also has universal low parries where that's character specific in VF. There are also guardbreaks(simply put, fast moves in VF that break your opponants guard and you get guarenteed followups or combos like with Akira and Lau).

Another notable difference is throws will always lose to attack in VF unless a move is throw punishable. Tekken they work as high half circular attacks. As a tradeoff however, throws are MUCH scarier in VF then they are Tekken since you're taking a bigger risk even though throws are tougher to tech.

Now everything mentioned there are going to be exceptions. Lion in VF has strong lows, characters with back turn like Feng or King you tech their throws differently, etc. etc. etc. But in general those are the main differences in the general game systems.

But yes, I know quite a bit about Tekken. Both games for that matter. Tekken is great and easier to transition to from a 2d fighting game then Virtua Fighter is.

Dimensional said on January 28, 2017 at 4:23 p.m.

Dissidia after that SCVI but since none of these have been announced and one may not even exist I will go with Tekken 7. Arms is also interesting tbh.

LeonX said on January 28, 2017 at 4:24 p.m.

Tekken 7 for sure, even more cause Harada brought Eliza back (Harada > Ono), I'm very disappointed for another Marvel vs. Capcom game :\ shoud have been a Capcom vs. SNK game ¬¬_

mUpKnrush said on January 28, 2017 at 4:38 p.m.

Tekken is still a very difficult game and really fun/great and requires a lot of skill. Just Tekken is a simpler game(simpler doesn't mean EASIER) and has much more in common in its usual fundamentals akin to 2d fighters than Virtua Fighter would be. VF is very intimidating to get into for a lot of 2d fighters.

TekkenLord said on January 28, 2017 at 6:03 p.m.

Man you're making me want to go back to Virtua Fighter for a little while but I digress. You're informed in some Tekken but you're mistaking in a few things. There are only two types of grab escapes now, single button and double. Oki is also not as dangerous as before. side stepping while not as good as before is still viable.

mUpKnrush said on January 28, 2017 at 6:15 p.m.

Single and double? Thats new to me can you give an example?? Yeah sidestepping has always been a thing, I just find it a bit unreliable. Where in VF unless its tracking, meaty or delayed you will evade it since they make it an actual mechanic. I find with Tekken its more about the actual hitboxes lining up making it kindof chancy to try and evade.

TekkenLord said on January 28, 2017 at 6:22 p.m.

Left and right grab can now be escaped with one punch button while command grabs require 2 punch buttons. In the past it was left, right and command escape. Also certain moves can only be side stepped to your left or right. So if you ever feel like you can sometimes side step certain moves it might because you're sidestepping the wrong way.

Ramusu20 said on January 28, 2017 at 6:22 p.m.

Which ones are your mains in Tekken?

mUpKnrush said on January 28, 2017 at 6:34 p.m.

Yep there's different types of tracking(towards your characters front, back or some moves track fully). Cool throws are a bit different now though. A lot of linear moves I find very difficult to evade in Tekken though personally. I usually just block it out or if its a high ill crouch and punish.

Decimo said on January 28, 2017 at 9:21 p.m.

Samurai Shodown :) Now that would be hype.

appomo said on January 29, 2017 at 12:32 a.m.

tekken7

btw, they just sell it as that name wise.
not! fated retribution.

ZenRazor said on January 29, 2017 at 1:52 a.m.

Between MVCI and I2. I mean Injustice is great and you know it will be good but I'm interested to see where they take MVC next. I think a lot of the hype died out for Tekken already.

Byzantine_Mage said on January 29, 2017 at 5:38 a.m.

Even if there wasn't any promotion from Bandai Namco ,I would still buy Tekken. To me it looks that they actually care about the quality of their product. Hope they won't disappoint.
I bought Injustice about 2 years ago on steam and the controls were super cluncky so I regret I gave 20 euros for it. So no I2 till maybe a huge price drop.
MVCI looks cool and I really want to give it a try even though I dislike that it has changed to 2vs2 (yes I am one of the few who liked the "3vs3" system better)

LarsMasters said on January 29, 2017 at 6:19 a.m.

I prefer UFSII, T7, MvCI, I2, DOAXVV & new SNK game (as long the design & playstyles are cooler)

Saul_T_Runbax said on January 29, 2017 at 7:43 a.m.

Soul Calibur VI plz

kuroisora said on January 29, 2017 at 8:04 a.m.

I totally forgot about that... any word on that new final fantasy console version of dissidia... that was a pretty good game.

and this is off topic but

I am finally making the move to PC and want to finally have a nice clean start with my new rig. So i am selling my PSN account that hold the VERY RARE delisted video game known as Marvel vs Capcom 2. This game is no longer available for sale for PS3 ANYWHERE. Literally no other place to purchase this game once it got taken off the playstation store and xbox live store nearly 3 years ago.

*THIS LISTING IS FOR THE PLAYSTATION ACCOUNT*
Once you recieve the login information I recommend changing the requirements into your own personal email and password.

Games included:
Marvel vs Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes
Street Fighter X Tekkn (Includes ALL DLC)
Injustice Gods Among Us Complete Edition
Street Fighter 3rd Strike Online Edition
Batman Arkham City Game of the Year Edition
Batman Arkham Origins Game of the Year Edition
Call of Duty Black Ops (First Strike Map Pack Included)
PAYDAY 2
Dark Souls 2
Spec Ops the Line
Sleeping Dogs (Includes DLC)
Megaman X4 (Ps1 Classic)
Megaman X5 (Ps1 Classic)
MindZero (PS Vita)
Gravity Rush (PS Vita)

WaifuFightersII said on January 29, 2017 at 8:39 a.m.

Infinite has me the most hyped as I've ever been for fighting games, except they need to reveal something in the next month. I'm beginning to lose my patience since its releasing this year.

Afterburn said on January 29, 2017 at 9:53 a.m.

Voted: Other aka Rev 2. Baiken <3

Though I'm looking forward to Tekken 7 too.

Griever_Lionheart80 said on January 29, 2017 at 10:05 a.m.

MVCI but i am also nervous capcom are rushing the game

RockBogard said on January 29, 2017 at 3:47 p.m.

im most excited to hear what SNK has to announce. im hoping beyond hope that we get a Mark of the Wolves sequel in 2D. i know its unlikely but im still hoping =)

RockBogard said on January 29, 2017 at 3:48 p.m.

i probably would have voted for GGXrdRev2 if it was an option. Baiken and Answer look sick

SilentShadow said on January 30, 2017 at 2:03 p.m.

GGXrd-Rev2 (and hopefully a new SoulCalibur)

wille9 said on January 30, 2017 at 3:35 p.m.

Why can't Disney just buy out Capcom?

Pablus888 said on February 1, 2017 at 12:46 p.m.

Yeah =(. I would even get VF5 on Steam if it was available.

Milicona said on February 1, 2017 at 12:56 p.m.

I love me some Injustice, but all I really want is a Dead or Alive game with good netcode. Will I ever get my wish!?

StarOcean_3 said on February 1, 2017 at 1:02 p.m.

MvCI ez.

Milicona said on February 1, 2017 at 1:04 p.m.

Disney no longer trusts making there own games anymore, after disney infinite wasn't as profitable as they wanted. That's why they shut down their gaming studios and cancelled any future game projects. This is a good thing for the FGC though as they are now more willing to license their brands out to other developers such as capcom. This is pretty much the reason we are even getting Marvel Infinite now.

Load more comments