'At some point, especially at EVO, where they boo me—it takes a toll, but that turns into my passion' - ChrisG on rough times and rolling with changes

Posted by John 'Velociraptor' Guerrero • January 10, 2017 at 7:43 p.m. PST

Love or hate him, there's no denying that EG|ChrisG is one of the most talented fighting game players to compete in tournament play.

Though he's most known for his god-status in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Christopher Gonzales seems to be able to crack top eight brackets in virtually any of the many games he chooses to enter at major tournaments.

During Gonzales' rise to the top of the fighting game ranks, he garnered something of a villainous persona in a good portion of the community eye. Recent times have seen more boos replaced with cheers, but in a recent interview with The Hundreds the Marvel master offered a seldom shared insight into his perspective on things.

"At some point, especially at EVO, where they boo me—it takes a toll on you," said Chris, "But that turns into my passion. You start to realize, no matter how good you do, there’s going to be someone that doesn’t like it."

Gonzales has reported that he's generally happier nowadays, and it seems crowds have been more willing to get behind him as of late.

"I put [audience negativity] in the back of my head. Recently, everyone was rooting for me. Even half of the people who hated me. Having that support was a good thing," he told The Hundreds.

Perhaps the now Los Angeles-based player's positive shift in FGC presence has come as a result of positive shifts in his personal life.

"There was a time where I was winning everything, and I became money hungry. And then something happened to me personally, and I started to lose every tournament," he explained.

"I went from making so much money to struggling to pay rent. I learned to focus and got back on the grind, but at that moment I noticed that if you don’t have a sponsor, then you can’t do it on your own."

Indeed Gonzales has cycled through a handful of different sponsors over the past few years, but very well may have found the perfect home in his recent move to join Evil Geniuses.

With a new Marvel game on the horizon and a new tournament season of Street Fighter 5 kicking off soon, we expect we'll continue to see great things from ChrisG.

Source: The Hundreds. Image of Chris courtesy of Karaface.

Comments

OkieScrub said on January 10, 2017 at 7:47 p.m.

Booo this man! Boo! - Ghost of Robin Williams.

CODYYY said on January 10, 2017 at 7:54 p.m.

He runs with Morridoom. He honestly killed a lot of enjoyment in marvel for me as a viewer. His reign as the best player was obviously deserved, he will go down as the best MVC3 player but i dont care. I hate watching him in marvel and deserved the boos

Oh, and if you manage to get rid of Morridoom you get vergil XD

Doh_Simpson said on January 10, 2017 at 7:55 p.m.

They can "boo" ChrisG but he's still a marvel god. His game plan is original and very efficient, it was funny when people use to hate on it and call it cheap but he gave tutorials on how to do it. Some tried and failed and some were to lazy to attempt.

The man is Talented,I'm expecting an evo win from him in MVCI (if the game isn't proven to be a$$ cuz I'm not entirely sold yet)

Hypermarth said on January 10, 2017 at 7:56 p.m.

I loved watching Chris G play Marvel... controlling all the dumb rush-down characters and making them respect a zoner was great to watch.

Eye_of_Orochi said on January 10, 2017 at 7:58 p.m.

If ChrisG's style is considered anti-hype, then I must like boring s*** because I love his team and gameplay.

He found the best team shell to shut down the extreme rushdown and randomness many teams/characters create. It's a case of "sorry, not sorry"; he wins games and should bow down to no one, especially stream monsters and booing crowds.

BlackMasamune said on January 10, 2017 at 7:59 p.m.

Let's not act like all the boos were based simply on his gameplay, he had some out of the game antics as well people weren't fans of.

iljindaebak said on January 10, 2017 at 8 p.m.

Sounds like your booing someone because they dont play the way you like, if you dont like his play style then simply dont watch, but at least show some respect, esp if he hasnt done anything personal to you.

iljindaebak said on January 10, 2017 at 8:01 p.m.

Im asking because I honestly don't know, what did he do?

MrBrown said on January 10, 2017 at 8:05 p.m.

It's Morrigan's fault.

oArnello said on January 10, 2017 at 8:10 p.m.

I prefer you dislike me for who I am, than to like me for who I'm not.

RandomSelectMaster said on January 10, 2017 at 8:16 p.m.

Don't mind the boos, they are applauds from ghosts

CODYYY said on January 10, 2017 at 8:18 p.m.

haha, come on man.

try reading my whole comment next time. i have him PLENTY of respect. I said he is the best MVC3 player didnt i -_-

oArnello said on January 10, 2017 at 8:22 p.m.

People tend to interpret what they want which can sometimes cause an argument and or debate of said misinterpretation.

Blackoshinomi said on January 10, 2017 at 8:24 p.m.

I'm going to go ahead and say it Chris G is my favorite MVC3 player

The reason why i like Chris G because he made Morridoom what it is .

Many people try to play his team but only he can play that team to it's full potential .

Chris G is apart of elite list of marvel players who take a character and made people fear them when they used that character

Yipes with magneto mvc2 . Justin with Cyclops . F champ with dormammu Clockwork with strider KBR Hulk . There many more .

All Chris G did was play the object of the game find cheapest strategy possible and use it to your advantage .

That marvel is it not ? Don't hate on him because he discover the BS get mad at the developer for allowing it

ProtoManny said on January 10, 2017 at 8:28 p.m.

Loved this guy in Rogue One

Mecha_G said on January 10, 2017 at 8:29 p.m.

When I think of ChrisG, I can hear the Soul Fist spam in my head.

Yawdan said on January 10, 2017 at 8:29 p.m.

The "PS3" and Super Dragon chants were the best lol. And the crowd monster screaming "Kill the b****" when Yipes played him was awesome.

Chris G has always earned respect as a player. Even when his team got hated, he managed to generate hype just by seeing if his opponent could finally knock him off his tournament win streak.

He was one of the best before his Evo win. And won so much that he was the best before even without his long overdue Evo triumph. Glad he got the past the negative stuff. As he was a great player (and person) without it.

ImaPlayThis said on January 10, 2017 at 8:30 p.m.

Okay Cena, calm down

Wisppeons said on January 10, 2017 at 8:39 p.m.

what website interviewed him?

Yawdan said on January 10, 2017 at 8:40 p.m.

The least harmful stuff was being accused of collusion e.g. (no pun intended) with Flocker at the tournament Triforce confounded which name I've forgotten. And said something regarding not earning enough money that Viscant even had to speak against him again (again, I've forgotten the exact context).

At his more unfortunate, he tweeted stuff against Robin Williams when he died.

Jumpy666 said on January 10, 2017 at 8:41 p.m.

Blackoshinomi said on January 10, 2017 at 8:48 p.m.

What the hell he say about robin williams ?

I said alot negative thing about robin williams when he pass away ...

Shamwow said on January 10, 2017 at 8:53 p.m.

People hate him because when he loses he gets salty and blames a lot of things other than himself. He blamed the monitor, headsets, and a bunch of other random things.

I don't think anyone will deny his skill at any game he plays.

Recently he complains less though; that's why people start to like him more.

downvote said on January 10, 2017 at 8:55 p.m.

All I know is that his performance in Star Wars: Rogue One was fantastic! ;)

As a Morrigan player, I love his mirror mirror too.

Abbadon36 said on January 10, 2017 at 9:04 p.m.

It was cool to see that she could be played that way but no more then once.
But MVC3 and UMVC3 got boring right once people mindlessly went wit the meta.
play UMVC3 thinking it would change things up but 90% of the fights where just like watching top eight in any tournament where money was involved.

But im bias as hell with this series. I stopped playing after 3-4 ish months.

Yawdan said on January 10, 2017 at 9:11 p.m.

His initial tweet was "It sucks that such a great actor died, but if it was really suicide, then awe well. I do not have respect for ppl who take their own lives."

I don't know if he apologized after or has changed his view since. But there was a great deal of discussion after. And people have moved on from the initial incident.

Bop268170 said on January 10, 2017 at 9:11 p.m.

i like chrisG, because my friends' kids like chrisG, and i like what kids like.

MEGAMFIBLM said on January 10, 2017 at 9:12 p.m.

THIS

Yawdan said on January 10, 2017 at 9:15 p.m.

There were a lot of unique teams that had success after, such as RyanLV's Chun, Morrigan, Phoenix or KBR's Hulk, Sentinel, Haggar. Most players attended Evo- outside of that you wouldn't often see variation in the teams- nor players, that usually appeared.

DarkPhoenixRises said on January 10, 2017 at 10:05 p.m.

Don't blame chris for Morrigan spam Dieminion is the original inventor of fly unfly canceling fireball spam. I miss Dieminion lol

Chris just found a better team than joe, morrigan, strange. Chris has always been my favorite marvel player because when not really in his feelings he's a strategy genius.

Even back when he ran with his Ryu team he turned ordinary into extraordinary. I hate Virgil and Doom but i love Morrigan and nobody does morrigan as well as chris does morrigan.

Smorgasboard said on January 10, 2017 at 10:20 p.m.

It's a new game, new sponsor and new year. Time to move one and start afresh.

daisetsu said on January 10, 2017 at 10:34 p.m.

any player who can play multiple games on high level would always have my respect.

TestosteronInc said on January 10, 2017 at 10:58 p.m.

I have to say I used to be one of his biggest haters and the reason was his salt and whiny reactions when he lost. He never gave his opponents credit for wiping the floor with him. That really really got on my nerves.

However for some reason i started to like Chris G more and more lately and I cant exactly pinpoint why but he seems much more sympathetic now.

TestosteronInc said on January 10, 2017 at 10:59 p.m.

Ah I guess you pretty much litteraly worded my feelings towards him.

NarutoUzumaki said on January 11, 2017 at 1:31 a.m.

morrigan and doom confirmed for mvci no vergil though why does eventhubs not published the leak from ten count falls

skid5jack said on January 11, 2017 at 1:32 a.m.

I'm a massive fan of his. Never really understood the hate. Apparently his attitude ?!?!?
From what I've seen of him of the Excellent Adventures, he seems like a nice bloke.

CatalystCB said on January 11, 2017 at 2:13 a.m.

It's could be fake that's why it's all up in the air so no one is sure. Hope he is true tho.

deus said on January 11, 2017 at 2:17 a.m.

I used to love Chris G before this incident though. Chris G plays my 2 of my favourite fighting games: 3S and Injustice.
Not just that, he played other random fighters too.

That said, he ruined it when he went in on Robin Williams within 24 hours of his death. It's one thing to have an opinion and stand behind it, but F_CK ME DEAD - TIMING dude. Timing and execution in FIGHTERS is one thing, but so is timing and eloquence in regards to communication.

I didn't like any of Robin Williams stand-up comedy and he did have some terrible moments in his life too, but none as bad as Chris G being a cold hearted, mean spirited and absolute f_ckwit of a human being.

I love Robin Williams when he was alive and even now after his suicide. The dude made a choice, selfish to Chris and his minions but a choice none the less. Chris G has talent but isn't it sad that talent is ALL he's got? Meh.

GensDisciple said on January 11, 2017 at 3:28 a.m.

All this could have been avoided if they patched Morr/Doom.

ScytheWP said on January 11, 2017 at 3:56 a.m.

Life is too short for things to be too soon.

GensDisciple said on January 11, 2017 at 4:54 a.m.

Wow dude... Isn't it ironic your avatar is Jesus who doesn't judge, and you passing the most harsh judgement on Chris G I've ever seen!

rogueish1 said on January 11, 2017 at 5:14 a.m.

Man...That comment got my philosophical juices flowing... Take me. I'm all yours

mcfizzle said on January 11, 2017 at 6:11 a.m.

Chris G is a surly dude but after reading that interview the guy has been through some stuff. Whether you like him or not you gotta respect his talent. The guy can play.

Spaghetti_Time said on January 11, 2017 at 6:21 a.m.

Ayyyy Chris G is an alright dude, I hope the future is bright for him.

RandomJohn said on January 11, 2017 at 6:27 a.m.

I always rooted for Chris G. because he was the 1st player to discover the Morrigan fireball game. Is this tactic cheap? Most people would say so. However, think about this. Is it a glitch? No. If it was meant in the game, I think it's fair game. This is not your roll cancel in CvS2. Not your numerous infinites from MvC2 and MvC3. Chris discovered a tactic to maximize his gameplay with Morrigan. If Ryu or Akuma were able to do the same, I bet people would be all over that.

Saul_T_Runbax said on January 11, 2017 at 6:34 a.m.

I met and spoke with chrisg years ago. Up there as one of the nicest pros I have had the pleasure of speaking with, and at the time I had no clue who he was. Our conversation started over us both wearing some rare jordans and complimenting each other on them. He seems very down to earth, humble, and focussed on what he wants to do. I hope this year brings him success and that he starts playing ibuki again in sfv.

MarthFE said on January 11, 2017 at 6:45 a.m.

People still think he started the morridoom team? You wouldn't if you watched competitive for a long time.
Personally, I miss his ryu wesker Hawkeye team, he could have made some changes and I loved watching him show his skill. Although he couldn't be the best at that time. I'm glad he did what he needed to for himself, but the change made him one go from one of my favs to one of my more disliked players. Especially since he became so much salter with losses on morridoom and had more exposure to media which showed how much of a douche he is.

But I've kind of left marvel behind. And I enjoyed watching him in injustice and sf4, so I'll give him a chance going forward.

MarthFE said on January 11, 2017 at 6:46 a.m.

Actually it was dieminion who discovered it. Chris g just perfected it.

grass said on January 11, 2017 at 6:54 a.m.

chris g was definitely a difficult person to handle back in the day,i've seen many of his interviews when he used to play ryu and was getting into anime fighters,i'm glad he got better.He's by far my most favorite FG player simply for his dominance and brilliance with a tactic no one else could pull off as well as him and for persevering after all that hate against him,

I hope chris G reads the comments and knows he has a big fan here in Brazil,i wish he would switch to sf5 for good since mvc3 will be dead sooner or later

Taizuku said on January 11, 2017 at 7:17 a.m.

I liked Chris's style, but it did get boring. I'd have preferred it if the Doom assist wasn't broken.

shinhawk said on January 11, 2017 at 7:18 a.m.

One of the main reasons people booed him was because he made constant excuses when he lost rather than owning up to the fact that he just wasn't the better man that set. All the excuses about lag whether it was the PS3 or an allegedly overheating monitor. Anyone remember NCR 2013 when the crowd was chanting PS3 and Super Dragon at him?

No one likes hearing excuses and the more a player does it, the more likely their reputation will go down.

Enochrewt said on January 11, 2017 at 7:41 a.m.

"Top Fighting Game Player has no respect for people that Rage Quit Life."

Seems legit, he shouldn't apologize for his opinion. I have more respect for ChrisG now.

Owlflame said on January 11, 2017 at 7:49 a.m.

I don't boo you, Chris! I boo Fillipino champ. You're fine. please don't quit.

X_Axel said on January 11, 2017 at 7:54 a.m.

Why boo him, the game is f*cking stupid and broken. Boo capcom not the players

Yawdan said on January 11, 2017 at 8:31 a.m.

... People are entitled to their views, and the consequences of their view.

johnnysensei said on January 11, 2017 at 8:55 a.m.

Chris G is my favorite player! Loved Morridoom zoning, kinda like forcing the other player to play Megaman and dodge the bullets

TheLastAOG said on January 11, 2017 at 8:57 a.m.

I met him once at APEX 2014, and his attitude/vibe just talking to him was terrible. His level of arrogance, and self importance was incredibly unappealing.

He seems more likeable now because he seems more humble, and grown up. When you play at such a high level it helps to not be a jerk to the people around you. I think somewhere along the way he learned that lesson.

Nevran said on January 11, 2017 at 9:06 a.m.

He had quite a sh*tty life in my opinion. If you listened to his story (Myneenja uploaded it on youtube I think), it explain kinda why he was so 'selfabsorbed' in the marvel 3 era and why he had such hard time dealong with pressures and losses.

He is far from being perfect but he is also someone who don't catter to what people want him to be/say.
He became way better as time pass, more chill, I think he got more happy with his life and about himself.

I still remind him as one of my favorite, if not the best, host on excellent adventure. And I though he would be one of the worse.

DarkKirby said on January 11, 2017 at 11:24 a.m.

ChrisG is a good player, but his somewhat dry personality, and at some point after his success, arrogance, made it difficult for many people to root for him, which is why he got the boos.

Wintry said on January 11, 2017 at 1:03 p.m.

I knew him as only a great Sakura in SF4 and the father of Morridoom. I will also say that I disliked his style of play at first. I cheered like a madman when Justin beat him at Evo.

As time's gone by, I respect the man a lot more now. Whether you like him or not, he is one of the three gods of Marvel for a reason. He found and PERFECTED a style of play that forced everyone to change. That's hugely significant. Even if I may root against him, I can't be mad if he wins. Dude deserves every win he has.

I can only await what he's going to do in Infinite. EG made a smart move picking him up.

mrambitious said on January 11, 2017 at 1:32 p.m.

Triforce, the guy who shames underage girls via twitter that he tried to bang and the guy who wanted the players he sponsored to pay him, yea thats the guy we should trust.

I have a pretty solid idea of both situations your referencing.

-The collusion came about when a few simple combos were dropped which resulted in one of the two players winning over the other even though the other was about to win. Nothing could be proven and screw triforce anyway dudes a POS.

-Viscant I believe was as you said, an argument about being paid and once again it was a he said she said BS via twitter, without seeing bank accounts no one would really know who was truly at fault.

-Robin Williams killed himself and some religious people / certain cultures heavily shame killing yourself. Ignorant people refuse to accept any opinion they disagree with and cried VIA TWITTER about his statement.

The dude really hasn't done anything wrong to anyone, to my knowledge at least.

edrigo said on January 11, 2017 at 2:28 p.m.

Great players who have great runs that are actively competing always have haters while they are active. When the dust settles people views change. Chris played marvel at such a high level like infill akuma people just wanted to see him lose. But that's what made you a great player if you could beat him he was the bench Mark in that game.

deus said on January 11, 2017 at 7:39 p.m.

Deus= God
The profile pic does not reflect my beliefs. Jesus is all poweful, apart of the holy trinity (which imo sounds gdlk to me hahaha).

Funny comment though. Some dude has Magneto as his profile pic. Does he have to personify / emulate a marvel character now? 😅😂

Yawdan said on January 12, 2017 at 5:54 a.m.

- first situation was VxG. Flocker did an interview with Cross Counter after the event explaining why they picked side teams (dropping combos was not the issue). A lot of players have been accused of collusion plenty of times. Justin Wing even admitted to agreeing to split the pot with Wolfkrone but Krone kept the money. So it wasn't anything I was holding against Chris G at all (he had been involved in other incidents, but again, so have other players)

- I disagreed with him and thought he had a small view on a bigger issue. But respected he had a right to his opinion. But I never disliked him- nor have I been one of those that ever hated him or wanted him to lose. And everyone has a right to their opinion.