Rumor: Fighting games on the horizon for Nintendo? Leaked photos show HORI arcade stick in development for Nintendo Switch

Posted by John 'Velociraptor' Guerrero • January 10, 2017 at 5:05 p.m. PST

While we can't quite say it's absolutely true, a very interesting collection of Nintendo Switch-related images were recently leaked on NeoGaf.

Amongst the various accessories shown was one that grabbed our interest in particular: a HORI arcade stick.

You can see the leaked image below:

Hori Leak image #1
Click images for larger versions

If this is indeed in development, there are a ton of questions about the potential endeavors Nintendo is looking to get into when it comes to the fighting game genre. Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite and Tekken 7 are on the horizon. Perhaps we'll see a new Smash Bros. or an entirely new franchise in Nintendo's near future?

With Nintendo's Direct coming up this Thursday, it'd be a perfect time for the company to reveal plans for upcoming peripherals such as the ones leaked on NeoGaf. We suspect we may receive some exciting news in the coming days.

Comments

roiwa said on January 10, 2017 at 5:13 p.m.

Definitely possible. The wii got TvC, and Wii U got TTT2.

Chaos15 said on January 10, 2017 at 5:14 p.m.

Nintendo vs Capcom

Come on!

AngriestAngryArtist said on January 10, 2017 at 5:15 p.m.

It would be great if Nintendo have their own traditional fighting franchise other than Smash :D

I won't be surprised if MVCI does make it onto switch.

StreetSavage182 said on January 10, 2017 at 5:19 p.m.

Nintendo VS Capcom would be a dream come true and maybe actually pull both Nintendo and Capcom out of the hole a little bit. They'd be crazy not to go for it.

Post_a_comment said on January 10, 2017 at 5:20 p.m.

buying unique peripehal on Nintendo console is a complete waste of money, because it rarely can be used on nintendo future console

CODYYY said on January 10, 2017 at 5:23 p.m.

tekken is going to switch... i think its going to be a launch title for switch and will be revealed later this month. Thats why we have waited so long for the release date of tekken

Sir_Kenjamin said on January 10, 2017 at 5:25 p.m.

You might be right about that. Nintendo is notorious for having consoles that are hard to develop for, so I could see this.

Montsegur said on January 10, 2017 at 5:28 p.m.

Capcom? Sure, they're in a bit of a hole. Nintendo? They have enough money to keep trying these ridiculous things for the next 10 years. Best selling consoles of all time? Nintendo owns 3 of those 5 spots.

GensDisciple said on January 10, 2017 at 5:30 p.m.

I remember buying 2 arcade sticks for TVC... That was aweful.

4kgk2 said on January 10, 2017 at 5:37 p.m.

who the hell play third party games on a Nintendo consoles none of a less fighting games😲. if I buy a switch it be for Nintendo executive games like mario,zelda and smash. if I want to play third party games I play them on my ps4 or Xbox one,PC.

MotherBrain said on January 10, 2017 at 5:51 p.m.

NVC plzzzz!

The_Comedian said on January 10, 2017 at 5:55 p.m.

Smash doesn't use a fightstick. Lol

pickboy97 said on January 10, 2017 at 6:01 p.m.

Not out of question, Hori is developing other officially licensed products for Switch including its own Pro controller

Strider_Hien said on January 10, 2017 at 6:13 p.m.

A Capcom Vs. game would be nice entry for the new Nintendo crowd. Tekken could make an appearance,as well....

Thesupernintendokid said on January 10, 2017 at 6:21 p.m.

Believe it or not, there is one that exists. But to most people (to my knowledge), it is seen as very impractical.

ShurikenThunder said on January 10, 2017 at 6:21 p.m.

please just stick mario games.

kentoirc said on January 10, 2017 at 6:23 p.m.

...I'm down....let's get it done.

Kwisatz_Haderach said on January 10, 2017 at 6:23 p.m.

Fighting games don't do well on Nintendo consoles. I'm sure Hori won't be manufacturing a ton of these.

Mobius said on January 10, 2017 at 6:32 p.m.

Buying peripherals for a Nintendo console? lol

BlitzN said on January 10, 2017 at 6:53 p.m.

If it was a capcom vs Nintendo it would be a instant buy... if it was link or Mario guest stars in mvci... instant buy...

If it's sf5 on the go INSTANT BUY!!!!

sinnido said on January 10, 2017 at 7:12 p.m.

sfv: fixed netcode edition

GrimmWolf said on January 10, 2017 at 7:30 p.m.

I'd love to have Tekken 7 on the go. Nintendo needs it's own fighting game franchise, or a returning one from a 3rd party. If a new darkstalkers for example was made exclusively for switch, I think the fgc would buy it for sure.

Hypermarth said on January 10, 2017 at 7:57 p.m.

I'm going to say Tekken 7 and Guilty Gear Xrd: Revelator

At one point in time one of the XX games was on the Wii so I could see it.

oArnello said on January 10, 2017 at 8:12 p.m.

Well that would be a nice Switch of pace for Nintendo.

AveMcree said on January 10, 2017 at 8:27 p.m.

They would have to make a holiday dedicated to this if it happened....

I really like what Nintendo's been doing this generation

AveMcree said on January 10, 2017 at 8:29 p.m.

one of the best selling fighting games of all times was on the SNES..... Not to mention Smash bros.... At least know what you're talking about before you type

Hold this L

Chaos15 said on January 10, 2017 at 8:53 p.m.

Third party Nintendo exclusives exist.

downvote said on January 10, 2017 at 8:59 p.m.

Yeah... Definitely not buying a stick for the Nintendo Switch when I can get them on PC/PS4.

Fighting games on the go sounds pretty nice. My only concern being how comfy the portable controller layout actually would feel.

theshredder39 said on January 10, 2017 at 9:01 p.m.

Ha, you know what if I could invest in one I would totally try an arcade stick with Smash Bros just to see how it feels.

But for real though, makes me wonder if we're going to hear about Switch versions of MVC Infinite and/or Injustice 2. Maybe not, I dunno. I guess maybe Blazblue Central Fiction Extend, I mean Blazblue I think would eventually hit a Nintendo system if the right tech was there cause like there is a 3DS version of Continuum Shift and the 3DS Eshop has a bunch of Blazblue spin-off titles so I could see Blazblue hitting a full Nintendo console in some shape or form.

Nintendo Vs. Capcom is the wishful thinking answer, a Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom sequel and/or port is another possibility though obviously the port is more likely than the sequel. I'd be down with a port of that game I remember having fun with it.

Positive_Edge said on January 10, 2017 at 10:10 p.m.

Get Hori.

Galletano said on January 10, 2017 at 11:36 p.m.

Sure, why not? more games for a console I'm considering to buy. Don't know about you but I like fighting games, so the more consoles they are in the better.

Heta said on January 11, 2017 at 1:02 a.m.

Tekken 7. Let all platforms feel the love.

judaicyrus said on January 11, 2017 at 1:24 a.m.

Not to sound rude but is the switch even strong enough tu run something like tekken or mvci? At best I think we will get something like guilty gear or blaz blue

Kavey said on January 11, 2017 at 1:27 a.m.

Lord knows Nintendo needs it for me to be interested in the switch.

Neoxon said on January 11, 2017 at 1:33 a.m.

It'll probably be for Tekken 7, though I'm hoping for MvCI, Injustice 2, & Guilty Gear Xrd -REVELATOR- to come to the Switch.

npcomplete said on January 11, 2017 at 2:06 a.m.

No, it's definitely a weaker system confirmed by leaks and developer docs. But I'm sure just like you can adjust the graphics settings on a PC game, and just like how multi-platform console gmaes are, each version is tweaked and set to what the platform capable of. So I'm sure the same game can run on Switch but with lower settings at 720p (which is what most will run at).

But it depends if the game engines those other games use, namely Unreal Engine (mostly UE4), will support the Switch. But I think I read that Epic will support it.

To be honest though, I don't see the point when likely anyone that would by a fighter already has other, better platforms. What Capcom said earlier made more sense: to evaluate what makes sense about making something special for the Switch, rather than just ports.

lfs said on January 11, 2017 at 4:23 a.m.

Maybe for Tekken 7 , guilty gear revelator or marvel vs capcom infinity.

sasukelover12 said on January 11, 2017 at 4:29 a.m.

you are so amazing

RYU81 said on January 11, 2017 at 4:30 a.m.

yeah but after snes non fighting games from 3rd party have great sell.

That_guy_who_plays_DOA said on January 11, 2017 at 5:41 a.m.

Tatsunoko...?

ShikariiXD said on January 11, 2017 at 6:24 a.m.

For all the naysayers, SSF4 for 3ds sold about a million copies, and the 3ds is waaaay weaker than a ps3/360. There's a market for fighting games on the go apparently. I know I'd love to lab in the bus.

chesterr01 said on January 11, 2017 at 9:19 a.m.

"LAN adapter"

GG -____-;

Lordd_G said on January 11, 2017 at 11:37 a.m.

Tekken x SF = Switch Exclusive. Heard it here first, folks!

FightDirty said on January 11, 2017 at 12:01 p.m.

I use my 3DS when I'm traveling abroad and away from my consoles/home PC. Certainly comes in handy when I need to scratch my fighting game itch though playing SF, Tekken, DOA, etc will never be as good when playing on a handheld it's better than nothing.

I have no plans on buying a Switch however.

Mormegil said on January 11, 2017 at 3:17 p.m.

SFV for the Switch, confirmed!

Kwisatz_Haderach said on January 11, 2017 at 7:25 p.m.

That was over 20 years ago, when there was no such thing as Playstation or Xbox. Nintendo has been for casuals/children for a long time now and the landscape is VERY different than it was in 1993 or whatever. Nice try.

Thanos444 said on January 12, 2017 at 4:18 a.m.

Why are the notes in french on the picture though??