SonicFox shares the specifics of his new responsibilities at Echo Fox, says the powerful eSports team is 'super broken'

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • January 9, 2017 at 9:18 a.m. PST

Echo Fox, the large-scale eSports team, recently acquired several top-level fighting game players representing Street Fighter 5, Mortal Kombat XL, and Super Smash Bros. 4. The announcement was made through Yahoo eSports, and with it came a handful of player interviews; last time, we saw Justin Wong discuss why he left Evil Geniuses.

Today, we hear from Dominique "SonicFox" McLean of Mortal Kombat XL fame. In this interview, the young champion talks about how joining team Echo Fox will help him maintain a college life while also earning a professional salary playing fighting games.

According to McLean, his main responsibilities with Echo Fox lie in streaming. "I'm going to be paid an actual professional salary for just gaming, and all I'd have to do is stream 40 hours a month," SonicFox explained. "That would be something that wouldn't interfere with my college work, and I can pick my own events -- I'm not forced to go to any events for their needs."

McLean seems quite pleased with his new sponsorship. With the recently added level of talent, Echo Fox is undoubtedly a powerhouse in the FGC now. "I would consider this team super broken right now," SonicFox told Yahoo eSports.

You can check out the full interview after the jump.

Source: Yahoo eSports. Sent in by riku157.

Comments

TenzoXX said on January 9, 2017 at 9:24 a.m.

Team definitely needs a patch ASAP

AngriestAngryArtist said on January 9, 2017 at 9:26 a.m.

...I've gotten used to his blue fox ears, I didn't recognize who was on the banner at first :P

Doh_Simpson said on January 9, 2017 at 9:45 a.m.

Sonic fox might become an average player since has to focus on college now.

deepwang said on January 9, 2017 at 9:56 a.m.

Wait, his last name is "McLean"? lol can't make this stuff up.

riku157 said on January 9, 2017 at 9:57 a.m.

Depends on the program he's in, what grades he's aiming for, and if he's a full-time or part-time student. Based on his enthusiasm about all of this I don't really expect much of a drop in his skill.

EraserRain said on January 9, 2017 at 10:05 a.m.

He actually sets time aside for school. Most of the events he hits is during summer months. At least he did during high school anyway.

sasukelover12 said on January 9, 2017 at 10:19 a.m.

he is hot

layer said on January 9, 2017 at 10:32 a.m.

Isn't NuckleDu in college too? And we all know what happened there.

Saul_T_Runbax said on January 9, 2017 at 11:04 a.m.

Wow what a sweet arrangement. Only have to stream 40hrs a month and get to choose your events based off your scholastic schedule. AND is getting salary. I dont blame any of these guys for signing with EF if this is how they are all being treated.

Doh_Simpson said on January 9, 2017 at 11:26 a.m.

I didn't know nuckle du was in college, I thought he did gaming full time.

Puchew said on January 9, 2017 at 11:54 a.m.

THAT IS GOOD ENOUGH TO PULL IN TOP PLAYERS. THEY ONLY HAVE TO CHOOSE THEIR EBENTS. BUT EACH EVENT THEY CHOOSE TO ATTEND, IS CLOSE TO A WINNING GUARANTEE. THIS IS AN AWESOME STRATEGY.

Koko64 said on January 9, 2017 at 11:58 a.m.

This is like MVC2 no patch is coming have to play against it lol

DaReal said on January 9, 2017 at 2:49 p.m.

Salary for gaming? Now, the idea of being a sponsored player is actually eye opening.

Master0fDaFist said on January 9, 2017 at 4:05 p.m.

I've heard a rumor that Daigo made a "team" to take down that Super Broken team....I'll find the link to it n post it but from what I was able to decipher from Japanese language is as follows....

"Daigo in response to Echo Fox Super team decided to build his own team to counter Echo Fox and its players is as follow...

1. Daigo
2. Daigo
3. Daigo
4. Daigo
5. Won't need one but its for a mystery player (hint Daigo)"

fawaz said on January 9, 2017 at 4:26 p.m.

Paid to do what you love doing -- some people are just so lucky...

Kibotsu said on January 9, 2017 at 4:43 p.m.

SonicFox seems just excited to be apart of it all.

Jumpy666 said on January 9, 2017 at 9:01 p.m.