Justin Wong explains why he left Evil Geniuses and what Echo Fox could mean for his fighting game future

Posted by John 'Velociraptor' Guerrero • January 7, 2017 at 8 p.m. PST

After Echo Fox's huge fighting game player acquisition earlier this week, the community has been preparing itself for a 2017 dominated by blue and orange.

Tokido, Momochi, Sonic Fox, Scar and MKLeo now all bear the Echo Fox prefix along with fighting game legend Justin Wong.

In a recent interview with Yahoo eSports, Wong spoke with Michael Martin about the potential for this new powerhouse team, how the new players were picked and what this could mean for his own future in competitive gaming.

Source: Yahoo eSports.

Comments

CODYYY said on January 7, 2017 at 3:53 p.m.

cant you guys just write why. i aint watching a 20min video.

13_rebels said on January 7, 2017 at 4:01 p.m.

translation: echofox were offering more money

Syirine said on January 7, 2017 at 4:02 p.m.
TheTHCGamer said on January 7, 2017 at 4:12 p.m.
Herox said on January 7, 2017 at 4:15 p.m.

All that matters is Kbrad is coming for the booty.

RLAAMJR said on January 7, 2017 at 4:21 p.m.

Can't watch the video right now but I am assuming it's because of getting more money.

BlackGuile said on January 7, 2017 at 4:22 p.m.

'I wanted to try something new'

Translation:'They are paying me more'

Cmon bro we all see through the rhetoric

Yawdan said on January 7, 2017 at 4:25 p.m.

He said he wanted to try something new.

RLAAMJR said on January 7, 2017 at 4:27 p.m.

I think Justin Wong travelling to other countries lately was shouldered by Echo Fox.

RLAAMJR said on January 7, 2017 at 4:28 p.m.

Honestly, I love the move. Somehow, the word Fox is really attractive. Reminds me of Naruto. :)

daisetsu said on January 7, 2017 at 4:29 p.m.

jwong confirmed a mutant

Divinothy said on January 7, 2017 at 4:41 p.m.

What does mean 'try something new'?

What possible could be so different?
He already traveled around the world participating every single tournament before leaving EG...
Doesnt make sense...

Verilan said on January 7, 2017 at 4:50 p.m.

When "try something new" = "explains why he left". I feel the clickbait title is unnecessary and just rude to your loyal readers.

Should have titled the article "Justin Wong does not go into details about why he left EG, despite video title" and itd be more honest and get just as many views I'm sure.

Fjreisat said on January 7, 2017 at 5:02 p.m.

You did? Cuz I just watched like 45 seconds and basically nothing has been said yet. Just vague BS about wanting to try something new. Nobody wants to watch Justin's gross ass talk for 20 minutes about his new job.

trufenix said on January 7, 2017 at 5:08 p.m.

were you guys expecting him to say because they kidnapped his daughter or something?

minato808 said on January 7, 2017 at 5:15 p.m.

I don't know how Echo Fox makes any money off of these fighting game player sponsorships. Does Rick Fox like giving money away?

Dperiod said on January 7, 2017 at 5:43 p.m.

Real good interview. Well done.

StandStrong said on January 7, 2017 at 5:46 p.m.

He is making a long term investment. My guess is all the attention e sports in general is getting makes Fox and co. Believe e sports are the next frontier for competition/ entertainment/ advertising cash.

I doubt he banking only on fighting games, but having a name like justin wong, that transcends the fgc and is known by competitive gamers at large, looks pretty good on your roster.

RLAAMJR said on January 7, 2017 at 6:05 p.m.

I agree with you. I mean, would you try something new if you are being payed less?

BlackMasamune said on January 7, 2017 at 6:13 p.m.

You know there's a whole shady backstory to this that we'll never hear, or not for a long. This happened all too quickly once 2017 started for it to not have been in the works for awhile.

The question now is how forgiving will Echo Fox be of players who don't perform?

Skinny_Puppy said on January 7, 2017 at 6:35 p.m.

Didn't AJ quit the EG fighting game division or something like that? That may have had something to do with it.

mrfr1day said on January 7, 2017 at 7:02 p.m.

New = More money. It's like when WWE nabbed Aj, Nakamura, and gallows/anderson.

TheTHCGamer said on January 7, 2017 at 7:06 p.m.

Well to be honest they've been pretty patient with players like Julio because they see his potential. Besides winning isn't the only thing that a sponsor looks for.

In the FGC Justin Wong is well known name which means he brings with him brand name recognition. By the way Marvel is right around the corner and Justin has proven to be one of the greatest marvel players.

pastywhites said on January 7, 2017 at 7:14 p.m.

Aww people wanna make more money boo. Get your dumb sell out bs outta here and grow up.

Spaghetti_Time said on January 7, 2017 at 7:45 p.m.

He wasn't calling him a sellout, you child. He stated that Justin was just talking BS and not being straight with his viewers. That's it.

EmjayGaming said on January 7, 2017 at 8:10 p.m.

The revenue probably comes from the teams sponsorships http://www.echofox.gg/sponsors

YorKeY said on January 7, 2017 at 8:28 p.m.

More like EG is going through problems right now, and is very unstable, so you left before the ship crashed.

PNS_SHOGUN said on January 7, 2017 at 8:51 p.m.

Commercial sponsorship deals.

RLAAMJR said on January 7, 2017 at 8:55 p.m.

Justin is like the most popular player in FGC.

BlackMasamune said on January 7, 2017 at 8:56 p.m.

We shall see how much longer Julio stays on the team after the recent acquisition of talent.

But you're right, they could be looking ahead and thinking beyond just one game, so that's smart.

TheTHCGamer said on January 7, 2017 at 9:10 p.m.

With the exception of Daigo I absolutely agree.

TheTHCGamer said on January 7, 2017 at 9:13 p.m.

Hell be fine for a while they know how young he is and that he's only going to get better over time. He's alreasy a pretty good player.

Justin is very marketable everyone in the FGC knows who he is and like i said great Marvel player.

sukurin said on January 7, 2017 at 10:21 p.m.

After EG then EF, next maybe EE or ED, and finally end up in EA.

deus said on January 8, 2017 at 1:38 a.m.

TLDWatch:
Justin Wong's explanation for leaving EG:
"I wanted something different".

Justin Wong does not divulge any more information as to 'why' he left. We can only make the assumption that Markman and EchoFox offer more incentive than EG. The incentive is unknown and is only assumed. Don't bother watching this video if you've read this comment. EH click bait is tiresome and pathetic at times. I hope I saved someone time :)

jericho_mpm said on January 8, 2017 at 2:14 a.m.

Thanks straight out the gate...

CaptainPlanet said on January 8, 2017 at 2:16 a.m.

Wait a minute. I don't remember putting you all together. But I'm kinda digging it. 'Cause with your fighting game powers combined I must be a hell of a player! ^_^

judaicyrus said on January 8, 2017 at 2:43 a.m.

I am happy more teams are investing into FGC, especially Street Fighter. I am hoping that this will slowly raise the reputation of fgc esports since I kinda dont understand why fgc isnt as popular as those MOBA games. I mean fgc was first and is more hype and takes more skill to master in my opinion. So yeah I hope for this to raise the fgc in general.

As for one team grabbing all those top class beasts: Its going to be interesting to see how the players that arent in EF are going to compete against EF. I wouldnt like to see an overall dominance from EF.

Jevchenko said on January 8, 2017 at 3:20 a.m.

Something new? So will he try to eat healthy and exercise more? Kappa

freshtanner92 said on January 8, 2017 at 3:52 a.m.

NoConscious said on January 8, 2017 at 4:48 a.m.

Its just Raptor's style; he makes sensational style articles.

NamaJang said on January 8, 2017 at 4:57 a.m.

The conspiracy is real

Master0fDaFist said on January 8, 2017 at 5:34 a.m.

As long as he doesn't run into Daigo he's safe lol.

BornReady said on January 8, 2017 at 7:22 a.m.

Am I the only one that clicked the article just to read the comments?

grass said on January 8, 2017 at 8:01 a.m.

i loved raptor on best of 3,i don't get how he can be so pushy on this

BumbleBee said on January 8, 2017 at 8:08 a.m.

Yup, knew it would be gold. :D

LK said on January 8, 2017 at 8:21 a.m.

Yal must not work at the business world much.

"Try something new" = "I got paid more, better bonuses and perks, so I left my old company and joined the new one that enables me to try something new"

Saul_T_Runbax said on January 8, 2017 at 8:59 a.m.

I dont need an explanation. He went where the money is. EF is owned by a millionaire that wants to ride this e-sports wave. I dont blame him.

JohnnyCage said on January 8, 2017 at 12:30 p.m.

They offered him a monthly subscription to Dunkin' Donuts

Mormegil said on January 8, 2017 at 1:44 p.m.

Justin has a daughter?

diegotricks said on January 9, 2017 at 10:49 p.m.

Haha thanks for the summary deus... I stopped watching after I heard business talk like "try something new" five times, "direction" and I forgot what else