Blade and Spider-Woman too similar to existing characters, Psylocke fell just short - Niitsuma on UMvC3 choices, including Cloak & Dagger and more

Posted by Nicholas 'MajinTenshinhan' Taylor • January 2, 2017 at 1:11 p.m. PST

Following up on his previous tweets, Niitsuma once again took to Twitter to explain their rationale for some of the choices that made the cut, and some that didn't, for Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3.

I, EventHubs' very own Nicholas "MajinTenshinhan" Taylor, took the time to translate them for your perusing pleasure, and you can check out the ones who did make the cut here.

Nova: Even in the vanilla version of MvC3, Marvel were pushing very hard for us to include him, and told us "he HAS to be in the next one".

Ghost Rider: Well, he really is very popular and famous. We also figured we'd just use his bike in one of his supers, which made him much easier to implement.

Dr. Strange: He was pushed very strongly from Marvel's side. We also thought he'd be fun to make, since there's a lot of moveset potential with "magic" as a base.

Rocket Raccoon: We were actually consideirng Squirrel Girl at the time, but when he was brought up it turned out we had way more raccoon fans than squirrel fans at the office, so we went with him.

Continue below to hear about some who did not end up making it into the game, and why.

Blade: There was just too much similarity with Dante...

Spider-Woman: Her flight and electrical powers felt a bit too similar to Trish...

Psylocke: She's very recognizable and has a good design, and it did occur to us that it'd be fun having her and Strider Hiryu go at it, but I guess she just ended up falling short compared to the others.

Spiral: She was in a previous title, but the 6 arms with swords and various magic attacks led to this actual quote from the development room: "This is way too much of a hassle, please, let's not".

Cloak & Dagger: They're visually interesting and sure leave an impact, and it's even more cool because they kind of feel like a Stand User and Stand from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure! But, the backside of that is that with such an action-packed game, including assists, it'd get too hectic with them. And an actual quote was "The game won't be able to support 2 characters in 1 like this!"

Multiple Man: I told you, the game can't do it!!

Source: Ryota Niitsuma's Twitter.

Comments

Velociraptor said on January 2, 2017 at 1:18 p.m.

Some motha-uckas always tryin' to ice skate uphill...

daerksiea said on January 2, 2017 at 1:18 p.m.

Shame about Blade, Cloak & Dagger, Spiral and Psylocke. Some of my favorites.

DarknessFallz said on January 2, 2017 at 1:19 p.m.

Psylocke fell short? How? With who?

Rahavic said on January 2, 2017 at 1:21 p.m.
Rahavic said on January 2, 2017 at 1:23 p.m.
MajinTenshinhan said on January 2, 2017 at 1:24 p.m.

The additions they did make to Ultimate, of course. So that would be Nova, Dr. Strange, Rocket Raccoon, Iron Fist, Ghost Rider and Hawkeye.

With Marvel's cinematic plans at the time, I really think the only ones that were at all negotiable were Ghost Rider and Nova, and based on what they're saying here, even Nova wasn't actually negotiable. So, I guess Psylocke fell short against Ghost Rider ... Which is understandable, Ghost Rider had a LOT of requests during the MvC3 time.

SnakeX said on January 2, 2017 at 1:25 p.m.

Cloak & Dagger would be a great addition to MvC:I now that there aren't assists that would muddle the character concept. The JJBA approach sounds perfect for those two as well. I can see it working in a similar fashion to Captain Commando's teammate attacks as well.

Also in a way I was glad that Psylocke DIDN'T make it into MvC3; not because I dislike her but because we already had enough of MvC2's top tier characters in that game. Returning characters are always nice to see but when you're pulling from such a massive library, it's more than fair to get other characters into the spotlight too.

StarOcean_3 said on January 2, 2017 at 1:27 p.m.

Betsy could have worked as DLC, I wouldn't have cared, lol. Would have loved to take her to Regionals and Evolution, but rip.

MajinTenshinhan said on January 2, 2017 at 1:28 p.m.

Cloak & Dagger actually have a TV show coming up, so you know, maybe... Would be cool to see them.

Pachendrix said on January 2, 2017 at 1:29 p.m.

Blade is to similar to Dante, but X-23 wasn't too similar to Wolverine? I find it so pathetic when devs use the stupidest excuses to justify their decisions. Blade and Psylocke would've been great, but you decided to give them the boot, period. Nobody is asking for mediocre excuses. Good characters get the boot in favor of lesser characters all the time. End of story.

BlackHart said on January 2, 2017 at 1:29 p.m.

too punchy

crashb2007 said on January 2, 2017 at 1:37 p.m.

Blade too similar to Dante? They must be crazy, considering one could come up with a differing moveset for Blade, they just did not want to try... Really hoping he gets in MVCI... They already have one character I know that I am going to be maining...

SnakeX said on January 2, 2017 at 1:38 p.m.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that show. That should definitely up their chances in that case. They were already on Capcom's radar, but an upcoming show and the fact that they're gradually becoming sleeper favorites for a lot of fans out there should hopefully put them on Marvel's radar for this game too!

LightSpdAeon said on January 2, 2017 at 1:51 p.m.

Pushed Nova but arent putting him in GotG or his own movie. Some idiots at marvel man.

LukzVersus said on January 2, 2017 at 1:52 p.m.

Spider Woman similar to Trish? I don't think so...

Stupid excuses!

theshredder39 said on January 2, 2017 at 1:56 p.m.

I fail to see how Blade would be too similar to Dante. Yeah they both use swords and guns but ya know, Hulk and She-Hulk are both big, green and powerful and they still managed to make them very different characters in terms of playstyle.

Mecha_G said on January 2, 2017 at 1:57 p.m.

X-23 was nothing like Wolverine, if memory serves.

Exos8806 said on January 2, 2017 at 2:03 p.m.

Idk I could see what they mean
Guns and a sword. They could make them different but they may just want more variety
As for x23 she may have claws but it's a completely different style then wolverine

Teohkaka said on January 2, 2017 at 2:04 p.m.

Spiral with six arms is too much hassle .... but they fight tooth and nail against MArvel for the inclusion of Shuma Gorath ?!?! .... lol....

I'm also starting to think any character with too much morphing is too much hassle for their approach to polygons nowdays ... that's might be why Hsien-Ko got in instead of any other DarkStalker , since the rest of the DarkStalkers cast morph quite alot.

Phynx said on January 2, 2017 at 2:07 p.m.

"Blade: There was just too much similarity with Dante..."

That didn't stop them from putting in Vergil.

BloodStar69 said on January 2, 2017 at 2:22 p.m.

That's what he said? To me it sounded like "ice skate a bill." Good ears, man.

Script_Zac said on January 2, 2017 at 2:44 p.m.

Shame, Spider Women is dope, and not really all that similar to Trish or, like many would assume, to Spider Man. Plus Jessica Drew kinda blew up since the costume change, and new run. Hopefully she makes it into this one. A Jessica Drew/ Captain Marvel team would be the best.

cowboydandank said on January 2, 2017 at 2:45 p.m.

Yoooo they were already looking at Squirrel Girl! I hope they look at her even harder this time, now that she's had her own comic for a while.

mario3d said on January 2, 2017 at 2:47 p.m.

What characters Marvel pressure will make the cut this time??

MisguidedAngel said on January 2, 2017 at 2:51 p.m.

That was his point.

Tsujimatsu said on January 2, 2017 at 2:52 p.m.

Making Capcom characters and Marvel characters isn't quite the same process. Vergil was a playable character and boss in DMC3 with his own distinct moves.

Pachendrix said on January 2, 2017 at 2:52 p.m.

Gameplay wise, they can be opposite, design wise, X-23 is a cheap Wolverine copy. Just like She-Hulk is a copy of The Hulk, and Akuma is a copy of Ryu. Point is, there's no excuse when it comes to "similarities". Specially with Capcom who's made a living out of clones. The fact that Blade uses a sword and guns, doesn't mean in any way, shape or form, he has to play anything even remotely close to Dante (perfect example once again X-23 and Wolverine). Hence why I see it as a pathetic excuse to give the character the boot, instead of just saying Dante at the time, was more popular than Blade (which is the true reason one got in the game over the other, and it's something everybody can easily understand. Hopefully Blade makes it this time around.

AveMcree said on January 2, 2017 at 2:55 p.m.

Blade quote..... Hold this W!!!!!

Tsujimatsu said on January 2, 2017 at 2:59 p.m.

I guess it's because they're girls. Having a different physique makes them more suitable for an agile moveset distinct from the male.

riku157 said on January 2, 2017 at 3 p.m.

Dante and Vergil aren't that similar though. Vergil uses a katana and beowulf while Dante has a different type of sword, guns, and however many weapons he has obtained from the four games he's been in.

Cardinair said on January 2, 2017 at 3:02 p.m.

The whole '2 characters in 1' thing should be much easier with a 2v2 fighter like MvC:I. I'm willing to bet they'll put Rocket Raccoon and Groot together into one fighter.

edrigo said on January 2, 2017 at 3:15 p.m.

It's not only cinematic properties but comic books marvel are trying to push. This looks bad for the x-men characters as marvel aren't pushing any mutants for the for see able future.

OkieScrub said on January 2, 2017 at 3:17 p.m.

They are very similar. Capcom wanted both of them, so Blade got screwed. Remember this is Capcom. They had like 5 shotos in SF4.

Omega_Creator said on January 2, 2017 at 3:24 p.m.

Psylocke would've been sweet - especially considering she is hot and none of the new characters were female in UMvC3 (IIRC).

riku157 said on January 2, 2017 at 3:27 p.m.

Aside from being twins and having a transformation their fighting styles and arsenal are completely different. I'm not sure how they're very similar.

TheGuardian07 said on January 2, 2017 at 3:35 p.m.

I just read up on Cloak & Dagger.

OH PLEASE PUT THEM IN! THEY SOUND AMAZING!

DeeJayEnvy said on January 2, 2017 at 3:37 p.m.

Blade and Dante are nowhere near similar to where a novice, let alone anyone else, would mix them up or think they play the same. this is a bogus excuse coming from a company that goes into Shotokan overload every time a new street fighter is made

Dimensional said on January 2, 2017 at 4 p.m.

Psylocke better not fall short next time. I liked the game but hearing about a marvel fighting game is awesome but then hearing your favourite marvel and indeed comic book character is not going to be in it really knocked my enjoyment of the title down several pegs.

My own fault for getting my hopes up but I cant stop hoping just like that I just want to play Psylocke in a modern fighter.

Faethon said on January 2, 2017 at 4:13 p.m.

Oh my... I saw Psylocke and I was like: "OMG OMG OMG Psylocke is in MVC:I I CANNOT BELIEVE IT!!!!"

Then, back to reality...

Balrog1984 said on January 2, 2017 at 4:13 p.m.

I cant wait for the character reveals. I hope theres a lot of fresh blood, Blade would be a great start.

WaifuFightersII said on January 2, 2017 at 4:18 p.m.

Can I just say how out of place Blade is next to any Marvel superhero and villain. Like I keep forgetting that he's from Marvel.

cadnexus said on January 2, 2017 at 4:23 p.m.

A lot of poor excuses and a big laugh at Blade being similar to Dante. Blade doesn't have to use guns he could just use or throw his self made mini blades.
Cloak and Dagger could be broken because you have an extra assist. Dagger would probably do most of the fighting and Cloak would be the defense, and not only that Cloak could also go on the offensive for more tricky moves.They could also go intangible. Cloak could also teleport the other character to a different side to create combos for Dagger and Cloak could absorb beams or any projectile into nothingness while Dagger attacks and create combos and uses assist characters. Meaning all of your attacks could be useless if Cloak is used as counter move with Dagger attacking and using assists. Yes that would be too crazy, and they have to find a way to balance those two (they can't be separate characters they have to be one character).

Qwellow47 said on January 2, 2017 at 4:57 p.m.

BLADE FOR MVCI PLEASE

Post_a_comment said on January 2, 2017 at 5:32 p.m.

was hoping for Mama Mables, but Cottonmouth sounds good too

sweetooth706 said on January 2, 2017 at 5:36 p.m.

Idk on paper Blade and Dante are similar, guns and a big sword with some tech gadgets, its just that Blade would be a little harder since most of his weapons are mostly effective on vampires and the like. But I don't think it's as much as them being similar whereas it would be hard to make Blade unique and not just similar to Dante. If you have a guy with a sword and guns but they have different gadgets, at their core they're still a guy with a sword and guns. I mean I could see Blade having something similar to Devil Trigger based on a blood resource he gets from using a command grab that drains red health from the opponent instead. Kinda like Phoenix Wrights turnabout but that's all I can manage atm.
It's kind of like the way I feel about including a lot of the cinematic universe and the netflix shows into MvC:I. It would be hard to make Daredevil unique and not just a dude who's good at hand to hand and has a bo staff. Marvel vs Capcom is about over the top nonsense but a lot of the MCU is pretty grounded (for the most part).

Agentownshiprebelion said on January 2, 2017 at 5:42 p.m.

Really? He's been part of Marvel for a long time and they have had vampires for even longer.

I'm also starting to think a lot of you were happier not knowing why your favs didn't make the cut.

I think with so many choices it often was small things that allowed the devs to give certain character the boot even if they weren't entirely true.

Mac_Gargan said on January 2, 2017 at 5:50 p.m.

If they would just START with EVERYONE from Ulty3, like most of us would be happy with as a base, and add say, 16 Newcomers...then they could concentrate on quality / challenging / surprising choices and have the 1st wave of DLC ready sooner.

el_Principe_de_Lety said on January 2, 2017 at 5:52 p.m.

Most of the Marvel characters were just added because they had movies or TV shows coming up.

The same will happen for MVCi

RLAAMJR said on January 2, 2017 at 6:33 p.m.

I love that they tought about Multiple Man.

Squirrel Girl would have been a better choice than Rocket raccoon

BloodStar69 said on January 2, 2017 at 6:36 p.m.

RIP Any remaining hype for this fighter turned product placement for the MCU.

HatlessFool said on January 2, 2017 at 6:39 p.m.

Except X-23 and She-Hulk play absolutely 100% nothing like Wolverine or Hulk. You're right on Akuma and Ryu though. Outside of that, you're just an idiot.

KristineR said on January 2, 2017 at 6:40 p.m.

I like how they said Dr Strange would be fun but they made him so stiff. If he was a little bit faster he would have been on point.

Kenshiro said on January 2, 2017 at 7:12 p.m.

Any credibility you had is shot bud.

Luke Cage was one of the better Marvel series on Netflix. Take several seats hater.

RLAAMJR said on January 2, 2017 at 8:08 p.m.

If they add DLC characters to UMVC3, more people would play UMVC3 than MVCI

HeiNeKen said on January 2, 2017 at 9:02 p.m.

Can we have Star Wars characters as guest or secret Fighter in the Mahvel?
Maybe Princess Lea and Dude Skywalker team , you know just to honor her passing .
Since Marvel and Star Wars are Disney .Please make it Happen !

rogueish1 said on January 2, 2017 at 9:07 p.m.

Blade is nothing like Dante excluding the guns and sword. Deadpool is closer to Dante than Blade is.

Can't add human torch because of graphics. Please don't add Spiral because she has six arms. Can't add Cloak and Dagger...too much for the system. what's the sense in having updated Graphics if they can't handle anything. had Cinder, mvc2 and COA had spiral smh.

Pachendrix said on January 2, 2017 at 10:42 p.m.

Am I? Or are you the dumbass who completely missed the point by intentionally ignoring the first sentence of my comment, specifying that I'm talking about their character design being an absolute copy, while still having completely different gameplay? Next time please read the whole comment before calling someone an idiot.

RaiKageRyu said on January 3, 2017 at 12:55 a.m.

More like he didn't read the rest of your comment after the first line. Your first line was just a poor lead-in to the rest of your comment.

Pachendrix said on January 3, 2017 at 2:11 a.m.

How is it a poor lead-in, when it's the one sentence specifying what the whole comment is about? Characters who's design are similar (or in that case identical since X-23 is a copy of Wolverine), yet are complete opposites gameplay wise. Therefore leaving X character out (in this case Blade), merely because his tools are similar to Y character (Dante), is very poor excuse. Which was the main point of all my previous comments.

rogueish1 said on January 3, 2017 at 3:26 a.m.

Cosigned

rogueish1 said on January 3, 2017 at 3:30 a.m.

It would've been nice to have at least one black guy in the game

jme said on January 3, 2017 at 5:30 a.m.

Blade coulda had a command grab where he bites you and gets health back.

Teohkaka said on January 3, 2017 at 6:42 a.m.

Capcom's real answer for Blade : " A relatively normal looking black guy who actually looks cool ? ... No sorry , we don't do those ..... NEXT !!! ...

But the real answer to the Blade Question should have been the Smash Brother's Answer : " Never can have too many sword guys !!! "

NoConscious said on January 3, 2017 at 7:11 a.m.

Money says Squirrel Girl will make it this time.

edrigo said on January 3, 2017 at 8:33 a.m.

The blade argument is silly they can differentiate him easily and actually his sword is more similar to virgils than dantes. Actually deadpool has two of them and his plays stlye is very defense. On top of that he is more of a ninja you can give him some of those weaponry too as he has used it before.

revoltriot said on January 3, 2017 at 10:41 a.m.

Seriously, I wish they add Psylocke in this game. She was one of my favorites even on Marvel Super Heroes arcade.

Maybe we won't see Wolverine in this game, at least not the original one. Probably we'll get X-23 instead, now that she's the regular Wolverine...

blazebwoy said on January 3, 2017 at 11:45 a.m.

Damn right but Ghost Rider is coming back and I hope Capcom make him top tier lol.
But I'm hoping for the comic book version of Robbie Reyes Ghost Rider so they can utilise his unique powers but I will be happy with Blaze too.
Psylocke should of been in MvC3 instead of She Hulk.

DeathCom said on January 3, 2017 at 1:32 p.m.

Wow these excuses got better and better! Spider Woman too similar to Trish?! That's a good one.

Psylocke is a major fan favorite. In fact, Capcom's Psylocke owes a lot of her popularity to Capcom! (not joking here, she was only in 3 episodes of TAS, Marvel killed her off in Xtreme, didn't get her own mini series until right before MvC3)She was expected to be in MvC3 and once more Capcom showed they really lost touch with the fanbase.

Spiral's excuse is understandable. Modeling all her arms is just a world of hurt for the animators. This would make her an expensive add and her fanbase is no where near say... Psylocke's.

Multiple Man, I can buy that one too. Hardware limits.