Romance explains the most fun aspect of KOF, community reception of the latest game and why YOU should be playing it in this exclusive interview

Posted by John 'Velociraptor' Guerrero • February 21, 2017 at 7:45 p.m. PST

With a pair of King of Fighters 13 top 8 appearances at EVO and more tournament wins than he's cared to keep track of, Ramon "Romance" Navarrete Valencia is one of the world's most notable KOF players.

King of Fighters 14 dropped in August of last year, and has seen enough popularity to garner a spot on the EVO 2017 line up, but Romance feels the latest entry in SNK's long running series has more to offer potential players, if they'd just give it the chance.

We were lucky enough to sit down with the Mexican player, (he now lives in Southern California, and plans to make a big move to Las Vegas soon) to talk about the KOF community's transition to the latest title, and why it's so enjoyable as a fighter.

Raptor:What's the most fun thing about playing this game?

Romance: I love that people's skill truly shows through in their play. You can be really creative with mind games and such, and you are rewarded based on the amount of time you put in. It's not as simple as other games, but it can be more rewarding as a result.

Raptor: There's almost always some hesitation and growing pains when it comes to a new title in an established franchise, how has the community received KOF14?

Romance: It's actually a bit rough with the community, since the mechanics are not the same as the previous game in the series. A lot of people love KOF13, and I actually love that game because it gave me so many friends and good times, but I still have to go through the transitions and some of the mechanics take time to adjust to.

For that reason -- the mechanics not being easy to adapt to -- there has been somewhat of a community divide. Players outside of Japan were complaining about the KOF World Championship being a FT1 set up, but I ended up accepting it since Japan's scene comes out to EVO and accepts our rule set.

After these recent events and King of Fighters 14's latest patches, the community is starting to agree on things more and we are recovering players, making the KOF scene stronger step-by-step. The KOF World Championship was really healthy for the game, and the content SNK revealed at the end was the best way to close out the event! Specifically the DLC characters.

The game's graphics look nice, and as you know King of Fighters 14 is a hard game that will bring international competition to any tournament. I can't wait for the EVO 2017 finals, and I hope my KOF friends and I will get the chance to go to more events and show the hype that the US scene needs. Hopefully we can attract some eSports teams soon.

Raptor: Which players should I watch (besides yourself, of course) to get a good idea of how the game should be played?

Romance: Hmm, I'll say Juice Box and KCO|Pedro.

Romance shared the following video of his top 8 performance at SoCal Regionials 2016. He and Reynald kick off the final bracket, and then he plays again at the 57:00 mark:

Source: LevelUpSeries.

Raptor: There's been a lot of discussion about current generation fighting games reaching both casual and competitive audiences. Do you think KOF 14 appeals to both? Or does it lean in one direction too heavily?

Romance: To me, 14 is for both, but slightly more competitive simply because some parts of the game are not super easy and you have to put effort and time. I also think that stronger players really need to step in and help newcomers with this title.

I think about one third of the community are still hung up on the newer mechanics, but complaining instead of adapting is not helping anything.

I'm trying to stream and share my knowledge as much as I can. When I was learning Street Fighter 4, it was the SoCal players' help and guidance that made all the difference. I want to offer that same guidance to any new KOF players.

Raptor: Why should I, (someone who doesn't play much) pick up the game in your opinion?

Romance: The time you put in really shows in your play. King of Fighters 14 is an honest game, and will help you with almost all the individual aspects of fighting game play like defense, execution and reactions.

This game is legit and can help a lot of players. Transition from KOF to other games is especially easy because you have to learn fundamentals really well to be good at it.

Romance is currently a free agent, streams regularly on his Twitch channel, and is more than happy to answer any and all questions newcomers may have.

We'd like to extend a special thank you to Roman for his thoughts and time.

Comments

Chunners said on February 21, 2017 at 7:48 p.m.

It's not the jiggle physics??

Hakansoilbarrel said on February 21, 2017 at 7:49 p.m.
yes4me said on February 21, 2017 at 7:51 p.m.

No that's my reason to play it and Luffy.
Please excuse us. We are both French.

irrenmann said on February 21, 2017 at 7:53 p.m.

Considering trying out this game. So much backstory to familiarize myself with, though (of course much doesn't directly impact itself on this specific game, but I want to understand the series).

Blackoshinomi said on February 21, 2017 at 8:02 p.m.

I was just playing kof 14 And went into to Lab with angel

It took 10 sec to be this creative with her https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wk1Vl...

Yet i'm still looking for my main character in SFV -_-

Skull_007 said on February 21, 2017 at 8:07 p.m.

He sure looks like he's having fun

oArnello said on February 21, 2017 at 8:09 p.m.

YouTube is your friend.

Back story on SNK, the ups and downs.
Character stories and changes throughout History.
Each individual game and the time lines.

All of that and more you can find on YouTube.

Smorgasboard said on February 21, 2017 at 8:09 p.m.
AsgardianWarrior said on February 21, 2017 at 8:10 p.m.

If they release it on Steam, I'll buy it. I hope they do, I'd love to try it out.

downvote said on February 21, 2017 at 8:12 p.m.

I don't read KOF forums so I didn't know but I guess there are complainers in any game.

orochi_kyo said on February 21, 2017 at 8:15 p.m.
orochi_kyo said on February 21, 2017 at 8:16 p.m.

Complainers makes SNK to improve textures and shadows for the game, so people like Romance can say the game looks good, except it doesnt look good, just better than before.

downvote said on February 21, 2017 at 8:22 p.m.

Not about the graphics, about people complaining about the mechanics.

Apoc said on February 21, 2017 at 8:26 p.m.

I actually want more convincing :)

StandStrong said on February 21, 2017 at 8:35 p.m.

I think you should just try it out. Throwback to older FGs with mutiple systems and mechanics. It does feel a bit stiff tho, imo, but then again i got into Guilty Gear pretty hard since and that game is so smooth.

Gellus said on February 21, 2017 at 8:40 p.m.

You don't need to convince me, the only reason i'm not playing this game is bullsh*t console exclusivity, release this game on PC pls

shadowhumane said on February 21, 2017 at 8:41 p.m.

kof 14 is meh good game but 98 99 2002 too much fun for me

grass said on February 21, 2017 at 8:48 p.m.

the good thing about this game is that it has the right level of combos and fundamentals,not those hour long combos from 2002 or 13,but it's not as barebones as 98,where the short combos are harder to confirm into the relevant part(even though i play 98um,i still get sad when i miss my link and end up DMing enemy defense),juggles,bounces and supercancels make it way easier to have visual confirmation for whether you should spend resources or not

its combos are also more freeform than sf5 for example

NotOneOfUs said on February 21, 2017 at 8:49 p.m.

As someone with a longtime casual interest in the series (mainly character designs), but after a long lapse of having played some in the arcades in the 90s to having the first one I ever actually owned being KoFXIII, getting used to the basic mechanics have been a bit awkward.

How to approach, how to put on pressure, how to defend, what the general gameplan is, how to use the hop system (and how to learn it, Jesus Christ) - all part of what makes it a bit hard to penetrate for me.

Still, gonna work on it, as when I do get something going in KoFXIV, it's good fun.

XxAngelChunLixX said on February 21, 2017 at 8:50 p.m.

You know what I loved about this read the most? The fact that he didn't feel the need to discredit or put down any other games to put the spotlight on his. He just praised his game and stated facts about what makes it worth playing. That makes it way more worth it to check it out and listen to what the game has to offer.

Take notes.

XxAngelChunLixX said on February 21, 2017 at 8:55 p.m.

On another note, I've been saying that SNK deserves true success in this game, there clearly putting their hearts into it and actually supporting it well. I wish 13 got this much support, but that's the past and they're doing it now. I pray this game helps them greatly to get back on their feet. They deserve it.

BlackMasamune said on February 21, 2017 at 8:58 p.m.

Free Agent? I though he was sponsored by WongNation.

Sir_Kenjamin said on February 21, 2017 at 9 p.m.

I will play it once it comes to PC. How bout dat.

Blackoshinomi said on February 21, 2017 at 9:02 p.m.

I actually hope the ps4 gets the steam version of 13 as a Downloable .

The ps3 version was unplayable

caruga said on February 21, 2017 at 9:04 p.m.

I want to know whether I'd find online matches in the UK.

Abbadon36 said on February 21, 2017 at 9:07 p.m.

13 was doomed and they knew it from the start.
It had the same netcode 12 had which they knew was bad.
So 13 suffered for their lack of effort.
It was mechanically a great game but functionally it was a cup holder.
I tried but they gave no support for that game.
I still bought 14 which is weird since two games in a row they took my money without giving me a quality product.
But 14 is ok. It isn't a gem but it's ok.
Average is where I would put it.
So saying they deserve it may be over stating.
Two out of three is not a good record.
They NEED GREAT to bring people around again.
The competition is very strong and more strong titles are coming out. So average needs to be amped up.
I haven't sold my copy yet but after I see this next step they are taking it will guide my decision.

genocide_cutter said on February 21, 2017 at 9:08 p.m.

Play more kof 98

Clamper said on February 21, 2017 at 9:25 p.m.

"King of Fighters 14 is an honest game"

No it's not lol.

The game has potential to be very good but it's a mess right now in terms of balance.

Blackoshinomi said on February 21, 2017 at 9:49 p.m.

I haven't seen the 1 broken character yet

NoizyChild said on February 21, 2017 at 9:54 p.m.

This. It's almost like people have forgotten how to advertise something without putting down the next man's work.

Spades said on February 21, 2017 at 9:56 p.m.

Haven't gotten into KOFXIV. Hope to try it out sometime :0

XxAngelChunLixX said on February 21, 2017 at 9:59 p.m.

I don't think I'm overstating at all. They put out 2 subpar games, and came out with a third, despite obviously not being in the best position and not having the biggest budget, yet they still manage to put their all into it, while clearly learning from their past mistakes and ironing out the ones they make along the way with good timing.

I say they deserve it.

Vodacce said on February 21, 2017 at 10:15 p.m.

As others said but I say it again anyway: release it on Steam, I'll buy it right away.

Clamper said on February 21, 2017 at 10:18 p.m.

KOF XIV has 50 characters. We only had 15 different characters outta 45 possible from the 15 players in KOF World.

There's also a bunch of stupid things like some OP ex moves, doing over 450+ damage from 3 light kicks, unbalanced characters overall etc. So no, you can't call the game HONEST.

bornonamonday said on February 21, 2017 at 10:26 p.m.

Product of the times unfortunately.

raymk said on February 21, 2017 at 10:32 p.m.

They toned down a lot of stuff but honest this kof ain't. It's still good tho.

Garu said on February 21, 2017 at 10:51 p.m.

Im not a console player, just launch it for PC already please.

GamerBear said on February 21, 2017 at 11:24 p.m.

The moment it's released on Steam I'll get it.

Heta said on February 21, 2017 at 11:51 p.m.

My own execution has improved immensely. It has been very helpful playing other fighting games after my first KoF. Finally nailed Hayate's Raijin last input but just had to do the x-motion in reverse.
#eternalcasual#padwarrior

The grand finals gave me a good look at the tempo of the matches.

If you haven't played any KoF yet it's about time to get to know this great series. Seeing a character you really want to play is a good start. Goes for any fighter and it motivates you to learn that game(or just me then).

And good job SNK you got me in your new customer base. The support and direction is positive.

CODYYY said on February 22, 2017 at 12:12 a.m.

wait, youre playing SFV now?

oh look, an article nothing to do with SFV and you still cant shut up about it.

Blackoshinomi said on February 22, 2017 at 12:21 a.m.

My point went way over your head

LuvFG said on February 22, 2017 at 12:44 a.m.

I do not support this console only bull***

Decimo said on February 22, 2017 at 1:20 a.m.

I really like this game, it does need some fixing but it is really fun. Funny thing is there is many characters I like but I really can't stop playing Kukri, Angel and Geese lol, especially Kukri he is so fun to play.

Galtomat said on February 22, 2017 at 1:49 a.m.

This

Positive_Edge said on February 22, 2017 at 2:20 a.m.

PC release with crossplay would go a long way to make people very happy.

It would need a netcode buff as well.

Existent said on February 22, 2017 at 2:20 a.m.

He reminds me of a Colombian drug lord.

ZengHi said on February 22, 2017 at 3:19 a.m.

I will instabuy it ıf they release on pc until then have to stick with SF5 :(

malcrash01 said on February 22, 2017 at 5:35 a.m.

I feel KOF 14 could use some improvement for a newbie like me. Bring on an actual story mode that is not disguised as arcade mode. Balance the game out or change some things about it to make it more fun. GIVE SURVIVAL AN ACTUAL PURPOSE BY UPDATING IT WITH ONLINE LEADERBOARDS.

SnakeX said on February 22, 2017 at 6:20 a.m.

Yeah, the character variety is definitely lackluster in the tournament scene currently. I think there's only a few characters that are outright bad, but the gap between top tier and everyone else is definitely noticeable.

Still, I think it is important not to discourage people from trying the game just because the balance is kinda wack right now, since we know SNK is going to continue patching the game. That and the scene really needs more players currently...word around the internets is that KOF is currently dead last in Evo entrants this year, and that's not a good sign if the game is to stick around long-term.

TheHeroPixel said on February 22, 2017 at 6:39 a.m.

KOF XIV is literally the stealth best fighting game out this generation. I have so much fun with this game and how freeform it's movement and combo system are. Feels like a mixture of Mahvel and Third Strike.

I'm usually not even a big fan of SNK fighters. The last one I really liked was FF Real Bout Special.

kenkazama said on February 22, 2017 at 6:43 a.m.

Mechanic is like kof 2002. real gamers know how to play easy with kof 14... But only asians can play that game, because americans and europeans have no skills and can't play technical games

Zephyrus said on February 22, 2017 at 6:57 a.m.

yeah that'll never happen.

Crossplay is rare.
SNK making a game with good netcode is even rarer.

Zephyrus said on February 22, 2017 at 7 a.m.

lol no. No it is not.

From an unbalanced roster, to a bad netcode, to laughable graphics (even after the update. Some characters even look worse after the update), to being able to cross up in the corner...

It's not even close to being a top 3 game.

ShikariiXD said on February 22, 2017 at 7:04 a.m.

Let's ignore that some of the best players are south american and that France has a pretty strong KoF scene. Much easier to bring "race" into the mix, because it apparently explains -everything-

Blackoshinomi said on February 22, 2017 at 7:23 a.m.

Im pretty sure your top 3 games are

SFV
SFV
SFV
Because it spits hot fire

Emilioski said on February 22, 2017 at 7:25 a.m.

SNK, please make a PC port of this game and I'll support the hell out of it, this interview was really fantastic!

Blackoshinomi said on February 22, 2017 at 7:33 a.m.

Kof 14 is a solid game period ! The netcode is fine if you not stealing from McDonald's like the hamburglar

The only negative i can think of about kof 14 is the fact not all my favorite characters are in the game . Other than that i love everything about this game

handsofgod said on February 22, 2017 at 7:42 a.m.

I actually really wanna get this game, it's on sale for £20 on psn store, which ends today. But from what I'm hearing, there isn't many EU players online and there is definitely not many EU newbies.

I literally just want to play this game casually, jump online find a few same skilled matches and mash it out and then play something else.

But from what I've heard, this will be very difficult due to the small net of players online.

Can I ask is kof14 online as dead as gg Rev for eu newbies?

Bohemio said on February 22, 2017 at 7:42 a.m.

I loved KOF 13, I dont like this game very much but if they release it on steam I will buy it. Im a long term kof fan so I want them to succeed.

BluegrassNutmeg said on February 22, 2017 at 8:41 a.m.

I agree man. Super fun game. I don't play online, just offline with a buddy now and again. I like the graphics, great detail on clothing.

Zephyrus said on February 22, 2017 at 9:16 a.m.

you forgot SFV.

But yeah, my favorite IS SFV. Second is guilty gear xrd revelator and MKX at third place.

QoL issues aside, SFV sh*ts on KOF on all fronts.

Astoundingly funny how someone who has talked about characters in SFV playing the same, has the nerve to talk positive about KOF XIV's.

Now there's a game where characters play the same. To no surprise. KOF has ALWAYS been mediocre at best. Shame SNK made it it's staple fighting game series. They have much better ones than KOF.

Garou, The last blade, samurai shodown.

When your fighting game is known to not have cross ups in the corner and in KOF XIV you get random cross ups in the corner, you know your game is ass.

Full disclosure: I absolutely regret having bought this game. I didn't have fun with it. The game's atrocious to play on a pad, story mode is a re-skinned arcade mode, the character roster is nowhere near my favorite in the series. It ranks dead last. Many of my favorites are gone and only the staple ones remain. The online is a ghost town. I tried to play 20 online matches in this game. NONE had a decent connection. The game's graphics are a joke.
The game is so bad that the store where I bought it wouldn't let me sell it back to them (which they do for a ton of games).

But hey 50 character roster.

The only thing that makes me feel a bit happy about this purchase was that I supported SNK. I want them to succeed and rejuvenate an era of gaming that doesn't exist today.

edit: also don't reply to me. I get PTSD from listening to one of cringe inducing rap videos.

Zephyrus said on February 22, 2017 at 9:18 a.m.

let's put it this way. KOFXIV makes Rev look populated.

StandStrong said on February 22, 2017 at 9:36 a.m.

KOF was a thrill for me when I first got it. But the more I play the more I see the best characters have in common and the more they start to look same-y.

Like, they are all trying to empty jump or short hop mix ups into a low. then it's crouch low, crouch, low, other button, activate. I personally find it more interesting to play than SF5 simply because of stuff like roll evade, perfect guards, super cancelling system and all of that kind of thing, but the 50 character roster losing some gameplay variety for sure.

Couple of notes on comments above:

I cannot speak for EU, but in the US I get matches rather frequently.

The netcode is good! Honestly I feel like people that are still putting it down played during week one (where it was definitely awful) or after the "graphics patch" which, again, it was just bad trying to connect. Other than those two specific timeframes my experience has been on par with SF4 and SF5. some good matches some bad.

I think at 20 bucks it's an easy pick up. I paid full price and I have no complaints but like I said I really like the fighting system they have and I care very little about graphics. Your mileage may vary.

handsofgod said on February 22, 2017 at 11:24 a.m.

Thanks for your feedback bro, it seems, from the research I've done through streams, forums, psn community etc most of kof players are from pockets of the world, the us seems to have a fair number of players but in the eu it's strictly hardcore players or small groups of friends playing each other.

It seems there's not enough noobs like me on these games lol

I'm a proper cheap ass and have to watch my pennies so I'm really reluctant to purchase it, even at £20 lol with the worry that I don't get much out of it due to time and the ghost town of newbies online, might just wait for it to go even cheaper, I got Rev for £11 the other day and would love to get kof for that price lol

handsofgod said on February 22, 2017 at 11:26 a.m.

Lol thanks for your feedback bro, always appreciated

downvote said on February 22, 2017 at 11:29 a.m.

For people who are mentioning serious tier balancing issues.

Welcome to KOF I guess?

I love the series but it's not the best spectator sport thanks to only a few characters appearing in tournaments.

StandStrong said on February 22, 2017 at 11:44 a.m.

oh yeah. if you don't see yourself playing it often because of the small player pool I say save your money. Unfortunately, the most popular IP is Street Fighter so that is where most of the noise it. Good luck!!

Horseman_JD said on February 22, 2017 at 11:50 a.m.

Nakamura

Saikyo_no_Justu said on February 22, 2017 at 12:09 p.m.

She WAS until SNK fix that problem. Now she's between A and B tier.

Kurow said on February 22, 2017 at 12:24 p.m.

This game is fun to play but not too fun to watch. All the streams you see the same characters mostly Kim, Nakoruru, Iori, K...

OG said on February 22, 2017 at 1:39 p.m.

Watched the video and it looks really lame. KOF peaked at 98. :(

0x0100 said on February 22, 2017 at 2:07 p.m.

Some characters may be less balanced, but in KOF, it's generally less about crazy shenanigans and oppressive playstyles. Each character is more like a different set of tools than a different way to play the game, compared to something like SF or MVC. It's more honest because characters rely more on fundamentals, but some characters have better fundamentals and frame data than others, obviously.

Drrk said on February 22, 2017 at 2:18 p.m.

It's not so much about playing the games the pros want you to as much as supporting the newest version so SNK will continue to make more games. I digress however as my favorite KoF games are 2002 and XI.

Stiqman said on February 22, 2017 at 2:23 p.m.

I just cant get over the horrible modeling. Every character has the same face. and its missing half the animation frames in a modern 3d title. Characters moves and concepts are great but it just looks like a fan made game. I just cant take it seriously. Have we seen FOR HONOR's graphics? Kof could have looked better.

cantban2dgod said on February 22, 2017 at 2:44 p.m.

read this post and thought I'd give kof another look. started watching the kof world championship and then I woke up and noticed it was the next day. I don't know what it is but 14 just ain't as cool as 13.

handsofgod said on February 22, 2017 at 3:04 p.m.

Lol sfv is my main game so finding players of same skill is really easy for me.

But I like to play other fighting games just for casuals but it seems gg bb and kof are really niche titles. Finding newbies on those tititles is very difficult.

Mkx is the only game I can play causally and find players quickly and easy, I have no knowledge of the game but I can go on ranked and get paired with a noob just like me and have some quick fun, wish it was like this with more titles *sighs*

ryukenchi said on February 22, 2017 at 3:13 p.m.

The graphics look nice? yeah OK.
Thats how you know they are being paid to say this nonsense.

No one with half a brain would say these graphics look nice. Im in love with 13. Its still the best fighting game out there IMO. 14? not even worth it. I tried giving it a chance despite the horrible graphics, but this game is boring to watch; I cant even get hyped for it. The community needs to stop lying and let the devs know how horrible this game is.

Thats why devs keep bringing out these bad games. cause people just suck it up and buy them..

im sooo sad about this.. How did we go from 13 to this piece of dump >.>

omnomnom said on February 22, 2017 at 5:04 p.m.

XIV is an honest game. This game is great for beginners because lots of things you'd think punishable are actually safe, meaning players can take more risks in the neutral and not be penalised for making one tiny mistake. It's like Romance said, these things allow you to learn more about the fundamentals of fighting games simply because you have more room to experiment. You can safely apply pressure and gauge the opponent; you can use your offense to confuse them, generate mixups and force their hand. In SF you would be punished hard for playing so aggressively like this. Also MAX mode is very easy to get your head around, you get access to EX special moves that either extend combos or provide neutral play benefits, you gain access to Lv2 supers for the cost of one, the execution bar is high but it's nowhere near as high as XIII or 2002.

I'm glad to finally see a positive and constructive article about this game, I urge people to pick it up and just play, because it is great fun.

omnomnom said on February 22, 2017 at 5:16 p.m.

Talking about balance, how about we look at the beloved XIII? Team DLC anyone? Guaranteed in any tournament all you'll see on people's team is EX Iori, Mr Karate and [insert character here]. There was more verity in XIV per character than there ever has been in end game XIII. It seems a lot of XIII players just make up a bunch of lies to convince them selves and justify to other people why the new game sucks.

And graphics? Who gives a crap about graphics? Go watch some 2002UM and see how amazing that game is despite being as ugly as ass.

The21stGamer said on February 22, 2017 at 5:50 p.m.

*sigh* Romance be be pointing out dem good stuff to as of why the game should be played by more people. I just wish this is enough to bring more people online in KOF XIV...

omnomnom said on February 23, 2017 at 2:17 a.m.

No one want to comment on the balance in XIII? Everyone says XIV has balance issues yet don't admit that XIII Is probably worse balance wise thanks to the DLC characters.

ryukenchi said on February 23, 2017 at 11:07 a.m.

I dont know what you are talking about. X111 was perfectly balanced. Even with the addition of team dlc.. Sure, Mr karate was hella strong but not unbeatable .
Show me 1 fighting game where the endgame isnt just a top 8 of 3 characters. it doesnt exist. atleast with 13 you had a fair chance of beating these dlc characters.

The same is going to happen to 14 too.

But thats not the point of the discussion. I hope 14 does well so if they bring 15 it wont be so crappy. Me? im not touching this game it looks and feels janky af.

Existent said on February 24, 2017 at 1:16 p.m.

VF5 Final Showdown doesn't have top eight's of three characters, neither did USF4.

ryukenchi said on February 24, 2017 at 6:23 p.m.

I didnt mean literally 3 characters. but certainly a set specific. USF4 was all Elena All the time in the end.

Elena Poison Akuma, Rufus, E.ryu and Oni were about the only characters you ever saw.. Especially Elena. Everybody and their mother suddenly had a pocket Elena. with the exception of the so called character specialists who kinda stuck to their guns... BUt even they had a pocket of one the afore mentioned characters.

VF5 i know too little of to comment

Existent said on February 24, 2017 at 7:18 p.m.

You said a set of three characters. That distinction is important because the size of the "competitive" set of characters is what determines the balance of the game. A game doesn't become notably unbalanced because of a few bad characters, and at the same time a game with five top characters isn't considered the same as one with ten.

Debating the balance of a game is a relative matter without many concrete facts, but you would be arguing from an unreasonable position if you claimed that a game with a set of three top characters that were almost always used was no worse than a game with a set of ten or fifteen. The numbers matter and the DLC characters in XIII were used that often for a reason.

As for Final Showdown, every character really was used in both arcades and tournaments.

JohnKinney said on March 15, 2017 at 9:32 p.m.

Of course it's a balanced game! Can't be serious.