And Street Fighter 4 loses the #1 spot by four votes! Here's which Street Fighter game series our readers voted as their favorite

Posted by Nicholas 'MajinTenshinhan' Taylor • March 2, 2017 at 3:33 p.m. PST

Updated: And the results are in! To see how our readers voted, be sure to hit the jump.

Earlier: It's no secret that Street Fighter as a series is really a big series with a bunch of subseries - since all of their entries have received multiple sequels or revisions, except Street Fighter 5, so far, though that has been divided up into seasons per year.

The head Street Fighter series is vast, so much so that each subseries is also very expansive, and each tends to have a very distinct feel to them. With that in mind, I decided to throw together a poll to settle it once and for all - which series is the very best one?

That's not a question we can reliably answer, but we can make a fair approximation at least as to which is most popular among you, our loyal readerbase.

So delay no longer! Jump below and cast your vote.

Which Street Fighter series is your favorite?

1. Street Fighter 3 series: 294 votes / 29.3%
2. Street Fighter 4 series: 290 votes / 28.9%
3. Street Fighter Alpha series: 205 votes / 20.4%
4. Street Fighter 5 series: 98 votes / 9.8%
5. Street Fighter 2 series: 94 votes / 9.4%
6. Street Fighter EX series: 24 votes / 2.4%

Total votes: 1,005

Voting has closed

For me, it has to go to the Street Fighter 3 series, even though the only entry I've given a lot of playtime is 3rd Strike. It's just too god for me to pass up. Let us know how you voted in the comments.

Comments

KingGold said on February 17, 2017 at 2:24 p.m.

Gotta say 4. Got my Poison there.

NewWorldOrderZx said on February 17, 2017 at 2:25 p.m.

#FightForTheFuture And RISE UP

CODYYY said on February 17, 2017 at 2:26 p.m.
Risk said on February 17, 2017 at 2:26 p.m.

As an adult gamer, SF4 was great. Actually learning different things such as plinking, 1-frame links, etc. SF4 is what lead me to become part of the FGC.

But SF2 was when I was a kid, and when I had pure, unadulterated FUN.

malcrash01 said on February 17, 2017 at 2:26 p.m.

Street Fighter 3. It's pretty much my childhood game. I remember getting Street Fighter Anniversary Edition on PS2 and played Third Strike on it so much.

Abbadon36 said on February 17, 2017 at 2:27 p.m.

That is rough.
Hmmmm, i played 4 the most.
But loved 3.
Alpha was nuts!
SFV is getting there.
Only thing I can say is 2 is easily the lowest of these options for my tastes even though it was first.
4,3,5,Alpha then 2...

KingAl said on February 17, 2017 at 2:28 p.m.

1. Street Fighter 3 and 2nd Impact (those had the best gameplay and ost)
2. Street Fighter 2 or Street Figter Alpha
3 Street Fighter 5
I hate games that dont reward you for playing smart hence why I never liked sf4 and barely like sf5.

Clamper said on February 17, 2017 at 2:31 p.m.

SF4 for sure.

SF2 was good for its time and of course being the precursor to everything but let's face it, the game as a competitive game is a mess. Never liked SF3 because of parry. It killed a lot of things i consider fundamental on a SF game. I don't thing i need to say anything about SFV.

BlackHart said on February 17, 2017 at 2:32 p.m.

imma go with the trey

ParabolaBeam said on February 17, 2017 at 2:34 p.m.

Toss-up between 3 and 4.

If Capcom wanted easy money they would remaster 3 and re-release via PSN/Steam etc...

But alas, that would be too simple and straight-forward :S

kitchen said on February 17, 2017 at 2:36 p.m.

SF2 was better than good for its time. It was a landmark game that set the stall for everything that followed. Without SF2 the whole genre may not be what it is today.

caramell_dragon said on February 17, 2017 at 2:36 p.m.

I love the 4 series the most but I think that 3 feels the best.

KingAl said on February 17, 2017 at 2:36 p.m.

But not sf3?

(^>^)

noob_blasta said on February 17, 2017 at 2:37 p.m.

Ah man. Don't make me choose!!! Love them all!!!

paw_2001 said on February 17, 2017 at 2:39 p.m.

Heta said on February 17, 2017 at 2:39 p.m.

Street Fighter 5 series for me. Coming from a player who only played Alpha, 4 and 5 series. Honorary mention to EX because I really admire Arika characters. I held the effing copy of EX 3 in my hands why didn't I buy it then fuu...

EdGaR_R34 said on February 17, 2017 at 2:40 p.m.

Alpha 2 & 3 and 3S.
May be a good idea for Capcom to release a new title for any of these series (Alpha 4 or 3:4). A 2D based fighting game, re-mastered sprites or 2.5D, and for sale through digital download (XBL Arcade or PS Plus)

Professor_Icepick said on February 17, 2017 at 2:40 p.m.

Alpha. There was never any question.

A shame they never got any re-releases after online play became a thing. :(

BlankaBeast said on February 17, 2017 at 2:41 p.m.

Nostalgia VS. the Present....

Nostalgia wins almost every time.

What was the 1st SF you loved?
-That is probably what you pick.

chemicalBirdkick said on February 17, 2017 at 2:44 p.m.

Sf4

CityHunter said on February 17, 2017 at 2:46 p.m.

SFV. The game got me into the fgc and Ive pretty much watch every tournament I could. I honestly like all of them and I think that it really depend on which one was the first you played.

Sir_Kenjamin said on February 17, 2017 at 2:46 p.m.

Third Strike was it for me. How a few parries can change you going "God! I'm such a f*^&king idiot!" to "Holy s%&t! I'm a f%$king genius!!"

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 17, 2017 at 2:47 p.m.

Street Fighter III 3rd strike. was playing 3d fighters first since I found 2d fighters at the time to be too daunting and less satisfying to play. Cut my teeth at the arcades, learned to appreciate the parry. SFIV came out and I detest it LOL!

Seriously though, Street Fighter The Movie is hype.

Balrog has a built-in aegis reflector.

SFTM for PS4!

Blackoshinomi said on February 17, 2017 at 2:48 p.m.

One box will leave you messed up and fractured
Block these uppercuts, they made me the captured
May the best fighter win and win again
Battle to the top until his life ends
But if his life ends and he starts to decay
May one of us street soldiers can finish things
See ya talkin to the game couldn't be talkin to me
I got enough to beat and more soldiers to bury
You know, we just clicked in and made you realize
This game is twice as hard
You see that with your own eyes
You're on the way to choose the kind of life cause ya gotta
I tell you from now, which fighter will be the hotter
I don't think you've won this one, just practice
Just challenge me when your ready, weight your tactics
High punches, spin-kicks, watch the back-split
I see you in the air when I make you back-flip

(Let's get it on now)
Select and make your first pick
(Let's get it on Yo) 10 9 8 7 6
(Let's get it on Yo)
Choose and pick the best one
(Let's get it on now) 5 4 3 2 1

Do you even have to ask what my Favorite Street Fighter is ?

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 17, 2017 at 2:48 p.m.

and all that goes down the drain as soon as you hear "EI EI EI EI EI!"

BunnyBoy said on February 17, 2017 at 2:48 p.m.

II, Alpha, EX

Not sure which one of those three to vote for tbh.

ParabolaBeam said on February 17, 2017 at 2:48 p.m.

Uncharted 4 came out and no one was looking back wishing they were playing Uncharted 3.

Positive_Edge said on February 17, 2017 at 2:50 p.m.

SFIV

BlankaBeast said on February 17, 2017 at 2:50 p.m.

1)II
2)V and IV
3)III, alpha, ex

for me.

Stitchking said on February 17, 2017 at 2:52 p.m.

To what system did you want Alpha to port to? Alpha Anthology was on PS2 and all of the PSone Alphas were available on Playstation Network.

Android21 said on February 17, 2017 at 2:52 p.m.

I think either 5 or Alpha 2 Gold is the best SF. But the SF I love the most will always be 2 as the first game I ever played

maxi2099 said on February 17, 2017 at 2:54 p.m.

Prepare for the real Street Fighter blood war, the third of the third.

VTrigger said on February 17, 2017 at 2:59 p.m.

Here comes the "OG" that hasn't accomplished anything since the early 2000s. If at all........

downvote said on February 17, 2017 at 2:59 p.m.

Played a lot of SF2 as a kid but Alpha series was my favorite.

Lost interest in SF with the first SF3.

Ended up watching 3S late in it's life cycle and jumped back on board with SF4. Like a lot of folks I suppose.

Beekay said on February 17, 2017 at 2:59 p.m.

I say Alpha. I'd like SF3 more if it had more characters.

jwim said on February 17, 2017 at 3:01 p.m.

I had to give it to ex.... especially plus alpha... I don't think I played any game more than that game... maybe 4 but that would be my second with along with alpha and 2.... then 3.... v doesn't really do much for me compared to how those other games felt when I first got hands on with them

VietnamsMonkey said on February 17, 2017 at 3:01 p.m.

Alpha series hands down.

rob_cornel said on February 17, 2017 at 3:02 p.m.

Had to say 4. Though I think if I was a SF buff at the time, I might've gone with 3rd strike. The hand-drawn art style of that game is timeless.

Superspecs said on February 17, 2017 at 3:02 p.m.

1.SFV
2.SF3
3.SFIV

qOcOp said on February 17, 2017 at 3:04 p.m.

1. sf 5
2. cvs 2 (if it counts)
3. sf 2
4. sf 4
5. 3s

Xar5000 said on February 17, 2017 at 3:04 p.m.

Street Fighter 2 World Warriors is where I started and beyond. I didn't got into SF EX series. I skip SF3 series because I was too focus on college and took long break from fighting games all together. I didn't got back on the grind until SSF4. SF4 had so much hype. Definetly my favorite one.

Montsegur said on February 17, 2017 at 3:04 p.m.

Played so much SF2 and Alpha growing up, but since SF2 started it all for me, it gets my vote.

Model_M said on February 17, 2017 at 3:08 p.m.

I cant in good faith put anything above Alpha. I just can't. Nothing else compares.

Captainbuttocks said on February 17, 2017 at 3:09 p.m.

SFV kappa

ultimatesol said on February 17, 2017 at 3:09 p.m.

#baitthread

AveMcree said on February 17, 2017 at 3:12 p.m.

can't even used the term "09er" when you pick SF4 as your favorite then turn around and say its the "BEST SF GAME"...

should of kept that to yourself pleighboy.

Pachendrix said on February 17, 2017 at 3:12 p.m.

#FightForTheFuture The GOAT, nuff said!

AveMcree said on February 17, 2017 at 3:13 p.m.
dorayaki said on February 17, 2017 at 3:16 p.m.

You're asking these kids about games they never had a chance to competitively play. Like asking between Elvis Presley and Michael Jackson and Jay-Z.

Aside from various glitches, etc, any player who played thru the heydays of ALL of the series will tell you SSF2Turbo was "THE" SF game. Then there's a debate between Alpha2 and Alpha3 for the most fun.

SF4 is better than SF5 imo but it's fair to say 5 hasn't had as much time to mature yet. Problem with 5 is the whole community input BS where, although good players provide good feedback, the masses are whiner and crybabies. Their voices are heard the loudest and some mechanics are catered to unjustifiably elevating their chances of winning.

SF3 was lost to the original SF players because it was too different - different engine, programming, rules, characters, etc. It had/has a niche (I did play 3rd) but it was an acquired taste. It moved slower/heavier than all previous titles, and risk/reward became suspect (full punish sweeps, fireballs, etc).

Guilessonicboom said on February 17, 2017 at 3:17 p.m.

3rd Strike for life. Best fighting game ever made!

oscuro said on February 17, 2017 at 3:17 p.m.

sf 2. without sf 2 the other games never exist. It did so many things right nothing else could have matched it at the time. most fun I ever had playing a fighting game.

LeonX said on February 17, 2017 at 3:17 p.m.

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max because Ingrid, Fei Long, Eagle and Maki

sleepychino69 said on February 17, 2017 at 3:21 p.m.

Sf3(3rd strike)

it's a good game

StandStrong said on February 17, 2017 at 3:21 p.m.

For me:

1) Street Fighter 2 Hyper fighting

2) street fighter alpha (the whole series but 2 gold and 3 were my favorite.

3) third strike

crmjr21 said on February 17, 2017 at 3:23 p.m.

Oh you guys are really opening up Pandora's box with this poll. For me SF4 all the way followed by SF2.

SF2 has a nostalgia factor so I love it forever, but it's not at the top for me because it also comes with a memory I just hate to recall.

...I once got in an actual fight over SF2 at a super A foods store,
it was instigated by my older cousin over some quarters placed on the SF2 cabinet. I was pressured to fight these two brothers. At the time I was taking martial arts lessons, but what I hate recalling is that I believe I hurt them really badly, especially the younger brother. I wish I could apologize to these guys and I hope they are CEO of big fortune 500 companies dating super models today, I just felt soo bad afterwards. It was never really me and that went against my discipline.

If you guys are out there, I am truly sorry. :-(

There you go, SF2 with a story behind why I can't rank it at the top.

BlitzN said on February 17, 2017 at 3:24 p.m.
WaifuFightersII said on February 17, 2017 at 3:25 p.m.

Alpha has the best fighting game mechanics, best artstyle and best roster, and Alpha 3 max has the most content that made it a masterpiece, kinda wish it was on console instead of just PSP for this awesome enhancement.

God I wished they went with Ultra Street Fighter Alpha instead of changing it to SF2, oh well. Maybe next decade.

Jon_NYC said on February 17, 2017 at 3:26 p.m.

I've been playing fighting games since I was a child but SF4 was where I really learned how to play fighting games. Frame data, good/bad match ups, plinking etc. SF4 introduced me to the FGC.

SAOTOME2U said on February 17, 2017 at 3:26 p.m.

Street Fighter Alpha 2 for me, all day. I say it's the best SF of all time. Yeah Rose had her stuff, and Custom Combos were a bit "broken", but it was and still is a fantastic SF. Hell, my friends and I wouldn't even use Custom Combos anyway.

RunningWildVidya said on February 17, 2017 at 3:27 p.m.
Durant31 said on February 17, 2017 at 3:28 p.m.

Alpha fan...

Dragonman96 said on February 17, 2017 at 3:30 p.m.

1. Street Fighter 4: I've enjoyed the game a lot. I love the focus system,I love the new characters(just a little bit more than five), and I actually love the Omega mode.
2. Street Fighter 3: Best new characters,in the game. I love the music in the game, and it's parry system.

Dimensional said on February 17, 2017 at 3:30 p.m.

SF2 or more specifically SF2 Turbo (hyper) best 2D fighter ever made thats still as enjoyable now as it ever was.

Crazy to think how huge SF2 was though im not sure any fighter will ever come close to the impact that game had. World warrior and championship edition in particular were absolutely everywhere.

I did not like it when it went Super however.

Amazing cast as well cant think of any characters more iconic in any fighting series or any other entry in this series either.

MarvinVelasco12 said on February 17, 2017 at 3:32 p.m.

Alpha series because that's where i learned how to play properly and not mash buttons hoping for special moves to come out lol. Seeing alpha 2 in the arcades for the first time was so awesome, been a huge fan since.

lh said on February 17, 2017 at 3:36 p.m.

SF4 is the best (if you know your character's juggle points/moves), otherwise SFAlpha3

Xykes said on February 17, 2017 at 3:37 p.m.

SF5 is barely a year old. Not a 'series' yet.

So, voted SF3 all the way.

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 17, 2017 at 3:38 p.m.

SNK plagiarize Capcom! SNK should turn over their assets to Capcom now!

kumokgb said on February 17, 2017 at 3:44 p.m.

What exactly do you mean "pretended"?

Third Strike Online Edition came out in time for 09ers. If they played that game, then they played Third Strike. That's not pretending, my friend.

slashsven said on February 17, 2017 at 3:48 p.m.

I've been dreaming about an SF3 remake with the sf2 cast for decades now.. No weird alien characters, just the regular cast and the deep, beautiful system that 3rd strike has to offer

delamarche said on February 17, 2017 at 3:49 p.m.

Definitely Alpha series. It was the first SF series that seemed to have a near-futuristic level of polish to me when it was released, especially Alpha 2. (I didn't know much about game mechanics back then lol)

I loved the character designs in that game, they all felt larger-than-life.

TheMasterPlayer said on February 17, 2017 at 3:56 p.m.

My favorite has got to be the SFIV series. I just loved the gameplay. It was FUN!

For nostalgia though, it's SF2. It was my childhood street fighter game. It was the fighting game that started and ignited my unending love of fighting games (although I play mainly and mostly Capcom games).

As for the SFIII series, I barely got into it as I was more into other fighters at that time during the series' heyday. Such as CVS2 and Soul Calibur series.

The Ex series, I literally only played it notore than 10 times. lol!

Existent said on February 17, 2017 at 3:57 p.m.

I had to vote for 4, but it's only by a small margin. I like every iteration besides the first.

metaf4 said on February 17, 2017 at 3:57 p.m.

sigh....people just don't get that the SF3 series had literally a 10+ year run.

That's an epic run for a series! To say that people are just voting for SF3 just because it's niche or they think they're "special" or "hipsters" is kinda ignorant.

If you were born in the 90s then you literally missed the boat on this game and unless you had big brothers that played this you wouldn't really get the hype behind it except for that exhausted Daigo parry moment that seems to be the only thing the younger generation knows about. (Mind you that was in 2004! Third Strike was already out for 5 YEARS at that point.)

Anybody who was all hyped for Third strike AFTER that moment were literally 6 years too late to just jump in on the hype train. By then everybody else who where vets in SF3 would be sweeping the floor with them parrying everything that they would throw at them and unless you decided to jump on the Tier Train and use Chun Li and Yun, you had no chance to compete. Safe to say THAT was one of the reasons that the younger generation hated Third Strike and thought the game was garbage.

Imagine if right now somebody who never played Street Fighter was to jump on SF4 TODAY to play against all of us that have at least 10,000+ BP in that game...We could easily still just pick up that game and use any character at this point and clean the floor with them. To then expect them to fall in love with that game after getting bodied over and over would be crazy! Well that's exactly what happened to all the 2nd generation of fans that gravitated to Third Strike after that epic 2004 EVO moment.

Street Fighter 4 was a great balance though to bring back a bunch of the Third Strike roster while dialing down the mechanics of the game to cater to the newer generation of SF fans and it reset the bar on the learning curve for the SF3 vets.

I'd say SF3 is my favorite because I grew up with it....BUT SF4 was the ultimate series to bring everyone together and reset that SF hype that was dying and getting stale.

SapphireGospel_17 said on February 17, 2017 at 3:57 p.m.

3rd strike all the way! Great music great look and style, gets you hyped, fun good looking characters just all around great

Terrorrisk said on February 17, 2017 at 3:59 p.m.

Going with the Alpha Series. I always loved their presentation, music direction, sound design, artistic direction, animation, mechanics and overall style of those games over the others.

malcrash01 said on February 17, 2017 at 4 p.m.

Yeah, the worst game of the franchise is the one that also launched the fighting game genre, spawned one of the most popular fighting game franchises of all time, and is a fighting game that, to this day, is still fun to play after all these years

GTVladozuka said on February 17, 2017 at 4:01 p.m.

Stret Fighter 2 shaped many people's lives when it came out. Alpha and 4 had huge casts at the end, but 3's cast was too small and the game too technical for the casual crowd. 2 is my fave, then 4 and alpha equally, then 5 and then 3. 5 may get better with time though.

Bokator said on February 17, 2017 at 4:06 p.m.

Love SF 2 and 3 Series, but I think The Alpha series is when SF too a big step forward to reinvent itself. I also felt like the Alpha series is I felt more in control of my character.

rogueish1 said on February 17, 2017 at 4:07 p.m.

Streetfighter2 made the Streetfighter what it is' no contest

Bohemio said on February 17, 2017 at 4:08 p.m.

SF II will always have my heart, but I'm having so much fun with SF5.

BK said on February 17, 2017 at 4:10 p.m.

I grew up to all of em, but I chose 4 because during the era where people didn't want to let pixel games become 3d(ish), this game showed that not only did it evolve from its predecessors in appearance, but with the tech of today, it was able to "ACTUALLY" unite the community to the point where we are today.

Love em all, but Street fighter 4 opened a door to evolvement that people grew to accept and ACTUALLY like to a degree.

Thesupernintendokid said on February 17, 2017 at 4:13 p.m.

My favourite is SFA3 MAX. Had fun playing it on the PSP. My PSP is broken though so I would love if they re-released it on newer systems (my girl Ingrid tho).

Third strike while I like, I feel is too niche to be my favourite. It's not really that fun for me, the roster feels too small, and is a bit too loved, some people say "It's the best fighting game ever" but I honestly find that debatable.

Overall though, I like pretty much all the games in the series.

XxAngelChunLixX said on February 17, 2017 at 4:17 p.m.

First: Alpha (Mostly 3/3Max)

Second: 2 (The beginning of my FG career and my favorite fictional character of all time. (With Amy Rose and Princess Peach))

Third: 4 (Arguably the most time spent and the most serious I've ever gotten in the series so far)

Fourth: 5 (I'm enjoying the game a lot so far)

Fifth: 3/EX (3, I enjoyed looking at more than playing, EX I liked playing and the characters, but it didn't get anywhere enough for me to love it)

For me anyway. Everyday I dream of a new SF with the pretty sprites and presentation of Alpha. (I just hate that it's so early in the series canonically, and I always hated Chun-Li's Alpha costume).

Gerelt971 said on February 17, 2017 at 4:27 p.m.

1) Alpha 3
2) Ex+alpha and EX2+
3) II'
4) V / IV

ikki_asura said on February 17, 2017 at 4:27 p.m.

I really like third strike, really got me into playing fighting games.
USFV made me watch excellent adventures while SFV is a step back to simpler times which i prefer :]

DaveNotti said on February 17, 2017 at 4:30 p.m.

#THE3RDCHAPTER

yeyu said on February 17, 2017 at 4:31 p.m.

I love Alpha 2

Xenokaze said on February 17, 2017 at 4:32 p.m.

Street Fighter Alpha 3

Terrorrisk said on February 17, 2017 at 4:35 p.m.

Who knows, they may go with Cop Chun from SF5 now that's finally featured in SF game or one of her many SF2 Casual Wear looks. Though I love that Alpha Costume, I know it's not everyone's favorite. I don't think you necessarily need an "Alpha" game to get Alpha's Presentation in another Street Fighter.

Jayson619 said on February 17, 2017 at 4:35 p.m.

Why no multiple votes allowed?

Oh well....

SFII series: we all began from this game.

SFIII: the one I play the most on my PS2.

SFA: to be exact; SFA3, where I can use the whole roster!

I hated SFIV. It made everyone overweight, the new characters are ugly (except Juri, Hakan) and the FADC is bs and too difficult to get used to.

Yawdan said on February 17, 2017 at 4:37 p.m.

Alpha would have been mine. But Alpha 3 was trash. Alpha 2 was my favout game at the time.

Ex takes it for an overall series for me.

GamerBear said on February 17, 2017 at 4:37 p.m.

SFII made me like fighting games, Alpha 2 made me LOVE them. lol

JoHow_33 said on February 17, 2017 at 4:39 p.m.

SFV

Blackoshinomi said on February 17, 2017 at 4:40 p.m.

It's crazy how the most broken chun is your least favorite SF

OhYouDontSayThat said on February 17, 2017 at 4:46 p.m.

I almost wanna vote for EX so it can get some luv, but Third Strike was ART.

SF2FOREVER said on February 17, 2017 at 4:48 p.m.

For me..
Sf2-hyper fighting
Sfz1
Sf4 arcade
SF1
Sf3

Chuck_Remixed said on February 17, 2017 at 4:49 p.m.

Alpha series

XxAngelChunLixX said on February 17, 2017 at 4:54 p.m.

People automatically assume I love SF3 because my fav was top tier. Jokes on them, I have fun with her regardless. I even had more fun with her in MvC than 3rd Strike lol. No one ever takes the time to get to know that though. :(

Twinblades said on February 17, 2017 at 4:55 p.m.

SFV
SF3
SF2
SFIV
EX

EX is last just because of the little amount of time I had with it.

Now if this was best SF music? EX would take the top spot lol

Turbojacke said on February 17, 2017 at 4:55 p.m.

No doubt, 4 it is.