Kolin's character introduction series gives us her background and how she plays before release

Posted by Justin 'AdaptiveTrigger' Gordon • February 17, 2017 at 9:13 a.m. PST

Capcom Fighters has released a video detailing Kolin's history within the Street Fighter series and an introduction to the character's playstyle before the character is released.

Interestingly enough, Kolin's V-Skill, while unsafe on block, apparently leads to a full combo on hit. I suppose it's not too surprising that it is unsafe considering its armored/counter properties.

It is stated outright that Kolin is suitable for players who like mind games, but it is noted that Kolin lacks an invincible reversal. Kolin's combo game overall looks pretty impressive despite not having the highest damage in the game, as mentioned in the video.

Click image for animated version

Source: Capcom Fighters YouTube channel.

Comments

Gorehound said on February 17, 2017 at 9:17 a.m.

Since Kolin uses ice, Capcom should create another matching character that uses fire to reflect Gill's powers.

NoConscious said on February 17, 2017 at 9:19 a.m.

I love her boss blue pic in the upper right screen during the match.

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 17, 2017 at 9:20 a.m.

...Ken and dhalsim? :P

LOL I know what you mean, someone from the illuminati. According to CFN Kolin is just one of the few assistants he has. So there could be more.

substetly said on February 17, 2017 at 9:22 a.m.

Ugh please not we already have Ken & Dhalsim.

XxAngelChunLixX said on February 17, 2017 at 9:23 a.m.

"No invincible reversal".

You guys were so right, she needs nerfs bad. She's broken.

NoConscious said on February 17, 2017 at 9:26 a.m.

My Shiva will soon be here. Ice Queen.

And I guess I meant upper left side of the screen in my #2 comment.

iamfiefo said on February 17, 2017 at 9:27 a.m.

Kolin's so cool, she can wear a fur coat at the Kanzuki Beach and not break a sweat.

malcrash01 said on February 17, 2017 at 9:27 a.m.

People who like mind games?

Kollin confirmed Braniac?

masquedmonk said on February 17, 2017 at 9:30 a.m.

There goes about 90% of the Kolin Army, haha.

Heta said on February 17, 2017 at 9:32 a.m.

Victory is best served cold. Kolin time is soon.

maddog666 said on February 17, 2017 at 9:36 a.m.

wish kolin was gill right hand and another new character with fire powers would be his left hand or the other way around

bornonamonday said on February 17, 2017 at 9:45 a.m.

I'll be a happy 10 percenter lol.

Good to see confirmation that the icicle dropped during the double jump can cross up, she's really looking beastly on the mixup front.

bornonamonday said on February 17, 2017 at 9:45 a.m.

Maybe that's the guy everyone thinks is Violent Ken in the dlc.

Sunforged_One said on February 17, 2017 at 9:51 a.m.

Her fighting style is really not what I expected it to be. I only know Kolin from the story mode and I thought she was a sorceress - somehow like Rose. Oh, how wrong I had been. But I do like her fighting style. I am waiting for the re-balance patch and than I am going to earn some Fight Money to add Kolin to my roster.

Dimensional said on February 17, 2017 at 9:56 a.m.

I must admit her V skill does look interesting to me I love counters in fighters its why I like DOA a lot tbh although only 5 got the risk reward right imo although 3 was close.

Her critical art looks cool as well (pun intended).

Her character model doesnt really make me want to play her much feels to bland but at least she is not bad either.

All moot ofc as SFV is unplayable online for me.

XxAngelChunLixX said on February 17, 2017 at 9:57 a.m.

And @12 As expected lol. We know how big that was of an issue in Season 1. This is why people should wait before they cry nonsense. I'm a glad 10 percenter too.

I'll take two Ws, on ice please. <3

AriesWarlock said on February 17, 2017 at 10:02 a.m.

Didn't one of those CFN profile things explained that Dhalsim is not really using fire but that his energy is shaped like fire? Didn't make sense to me.

masquedmonk said on February 17, 2017 at 10:12 a.m.

Just realized, this is why her health values are equal to male characters. You wouldn't risk busting out that V-Skill with anything less. That it can counter a physical CA is very interesting though. No grey damage, leads into combo...well worth the risk of a read.

DonnieRizzle said on February 17, 2017 at 10:13 a.m.

He has been known to say yoga fire and yoga flame though. Lol

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 17, 2017 at 10:17 a.m.

at this point I think we can safely say that Capcom's lore needs work :P

I think it's still a type of energy that dhalsim unleashed, it just so happen to look like flames when he does it.

What's the lore behind ken's flames then? He light up his feet on fire from all the oil he spewed out from his sweat? :P

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 17, 2017 at 10:19 a.m.

Oh man that's one thing i love about predictabos. It feels epic just shutting down supers/cas.

Shory...PREDICTABO!

XxAngelChunLixX said on February 17, 2017 at 10:27 a.m.

That Ken part is so gross..lol ewww

bornonamonday said on February 17, 2017 at 10:27 a.m.

I'm wondering how it'll fare against CA's like Karin and Chun's with multiple physical hits. Same goes for the counters.

GensDisciple said on February 17, 2017 at 10:29 a.m.

When's Baiken?

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 17, 2017 at 10:31 a.m.

When you preorder Rev 2 for 60 dollars.

masquedmonk said on February 17, 2017 at 10:52 a.m.

Chun's starts out with a single physical hit, so it *should* work fine on her. Unsure about Karin. It seems there's enough invulnerability on Kolin's follow up hit to pass through regardless. It won't hit Fang's clean, I assume, since he becomes airborne. Interesting lab times ahead.

KnyghtFall said on February 17, 2017 at 10:53 a.m.

Right!?

Also: :'(

Looking forward to Kolin. She looks fun to play.

hotpinkfighter said on February 17, 2017 at 10:55 a.m.
AngriestAngryArtist said on February 17, 2017 at 11:01 a.m.

I fail to see how you go from Kolin to a more extreme getup like Poison for sex appeal.

Then you brought up Gill of all people to be fighting instead when he wears less than poison or kolin.

I guess Elena shouldn't fight either!

KiX said on February 17, 2017 at 11:01 a.m.

Hi Tumblr. :)

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 17, 2017 at 11:05 a.m.

That brings an interested thought. We can tech grab regular throws. What if there's a counter to command throws?

Dude that'll be sick if there's another grappler in the game that can reverse command throws into his own hold!

his/her vskill can counter command throws and regular throws.

But man just animating the unique reversal would be hell. Imagine laura start doing her command throw, while she's twisting you in midair, you reversed her armbar into a powerbomb. Goddamn! CAPCOM! Best fake employee again! Where my raise at?!

Le_Perique said on February 17, 2017 at 11:05 a.m.

Kolin cooler than Kula?

bornonamonday said on February 17, 2017 at 11:05 a.m.

Indeed. I'll probably be in the lab most of the week after release testing everything I can and a few ideas i have already.

malcrash01 said on February 17, 2017 at 11:11 a.m.

It's not just a theory...

It's a game theory

BlankaBeast said on February 17, 2017 at 11:16 a.m.

I'll be excited to play with her juggles.

Rin_ said on February 17, 2017 at 11:19 a.m.

I'm looking forward to trying this character out, hopefully she can get me back into this game again. I'm just a little worried about Floes tweet about her... "I hate Kolins normals and all the ideas i had are completely artificially limited =("

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 17, 2017 at 11:26 a.m.

I love that channel, I need to watch his stuff more often. But I had to stay away from it due to FNAF fans just being absolute asswipes about his theories LOL.

BlankaBeast said on February 17, 2017 at 11:36 a.m.

Nice juggles.

GensDisciple said on February 17, 2017 at 11:47 a.m.

Just the upgrade for me...19.99 I own Rev 1.

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 17, 2017 at 12:04 p.m.

20 dollars for an update and 2 characters?

you're paying 10 bucks a character, lol whatever floats your boat.

MatureVice said on February 17, 2017 at 12:04 p.m.

Please, speaking as a huge SJW the last thing I'd be doing is criticizing a woman for "dressing like trash" or saying only Chun-Li should fight. I main Laura for God's sake.

XxAngelChunLixX said on February 17, 2017 at 12:14 p.m.

She's only there for the sex appeal, despite her playing a big part in the story, and possibly getting a bigger part in what the story is leading up to (SF3)? How exactly would Hugo contribute? Because he's a brute he's automatically more qualified to be in the game?

And then Gill who's practically naked and has the most luxurious golden locks, he wouldn't present any sex appeal? Kolin has on an mostly appropriate (although stereotypical) outfit. What does Gill fight in again? Who looks like trash?

I pray you're not as close minded as that post suggests. I genuinely mean that.

BlankaBeast said on February 17, 2017 at 12:17 p.m.

Guys and girls alike have got to appreciate the jugs. (short for juggles, of course)

Stiqman said on February 17, 2017 at 12:21 p.m.

i can see that "unsafe onblock" vskill getting nerfed. single button anti airs is so Rising Thunder

Nevran said on February 17, 2017 at 12:24 p.m.

Coming from a guy with a Juri avatar, it is just as bad.

God, both sides are still laughable.

bornonamonday said on February 17, 2017 at 12:25 p.m.

Don't fall for such low quality bait.

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 17, 2017 at 12:36 p.m.

Hugo's Gill's tag partner!

HUGO's important to the lore!!!

gilgabit said on February 17, 2017 at 12:45 p.m.

She's all wet at the end!

XxAngelChunLixX said on February 17, 2017 at 12:46 p.m.

Sorry, I genuinely thought he didn't know. I fell for it I guess. :(

ultimatesol said on February 17, 2017 at 12:51 p.m.

-she is technically most crappy character that we ever seen in any SF game. She's nowhere near average character in terms of being original

-contains "zero skill" to play

-she's a "KOF-like" character and doesn't suit to Street Fighter's characteristic aspect.

-her moveset is lame-ass, lazy, combination of SubZero+Kula Diamond and ultimately cheap in terms of combos (20-hit regular combo ? WTF ?)

-plain and boring character design, absolutely uninspired and too animu

-lack of attribute and being broken.

-ugly face..

good job crapcom ^^ my best regards.

DropDeadEddy said on February 17, 2017 at 12:52 p.m.

boo

bornonamonday said on February 17, 2017 at 12:59 p.m.

Endings like these really confuse me about Gil being a villain. Sometimes he's just so chill after getting beat or enjoys trolling his brother, and then you see him nearly kill Tom and Necro or Ken in that Ryu manga. Be consistent, Dude.

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 17, 2017 at 1 p.m.

...well...he has two sides. One's chill and the other probably has stupid temper flares :P

Bipolar Gill makes sense to me!

bornonamonday said on February 17, 2017 at 1 p.m.

It happens, don't feel bad about it.

I mean look at the post below you for another example.

bornonamonday said on February 17, 2017 at 1:03 p.m.

Put that way, it makes a lot more sense. :P

At least he ranks above Seth.

KingKazma said on February 17, 2017 at 1:16 p.m.

Tell us how you really feel

BlankaBeast said on February 17, 2017 at 1:19 p.m.

A Gill equivalent of Necalli VTRIGGER mode.....

Would be AWESOME.

Vtrigger Gill would be insane.

lajn said on February 17, 2017 at 1:31 p.m.

"Lacks an invincible reversal"

I hate to break it to you my dude, but....

rlt4life said on February 17, 2017 at 1:32 p.m.

Who's we? All that stupidity is you lol.

Nevran said on February 17, 2017 at 1:51 p.m.

I am actually impressed at how hard you tried.

SKILL said on February 17, 2017 at 1:57 p.m.

Come on man don't be stupid.
20€ for 2 characters, new stages, music, movesets added to the cast, new stories for the Arcade mode, new netcode and rebalancing.
That's a whole lot for the price dude.

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 17, 2017 at 1:58 p.m.

Gill's Vtrigger on full meter if you don't use it he ressurects.

If he uses it he'll grow 6 seraph wings and can summon meteor storm.

Then for CA under seraph form he does the Seraph wing.

playable gill...700 health :P

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 17, 2017 at 2:06 p.m.

HAH! as much as I was joking at him on the aspect of Rev 2. And we don't know the exact price for the extension unless I missed something.

And...wait what? LOL! I was joking the other day that you gotta buy a DLC for a better netcode. I read that as you gotta buy Rev2 to play with a better netcode LOL!

however like I said previously, I got no problem getting the upgrade as long as the content is worthwhile.

HyperViperNZ said on February 17, 2017 at 2:14 p.m.

"Carlene" 😑 that pronunciation though.

Shinpaisuru said on February 17, 2017 at 4:04 p.m.

WHAT THE HELL... LOL That counter, top tier confirmed!