Swamp Thing is a zoner/grappler hybrid with an interesting projectile, multiple command throws, and more in Injustice 2 - IGN shares impressions

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • February 16, 2017 at 5:03 p.m. PST

Swamp Thing is one of the most recent characters revealed as playable in Injustice 2. The announcement brought us a quick gameplay trailer, but we haven't heard much else about the towering, vegetative giant.

Luckily, IGN's own Vince Ingenito managed to get hands-on time with Injustice 2's new combatant.

In the write up, we learn that Swamp Thing has grappler-esque qualities, but mixes some zoning into his play-style. From a distance, he can use his Vine Grab command throw to scoop up unsuspecting opponents from as far as almost full-screen away.

On the zoning end of things, his Log Kick projectile can help pressure opponents into making the wrong move using its deceptive travel speed to bewilder foes. It starts out fast, but continues to slow down as it moves across the stage until it comes to a complete stop.

Swamp Thing even has a trick up his mossy sleeve for characters who want to sit back and throw projectiles. His Bio Fission special move creates a clone that appears behind the opponent and attacks.

Don't worry, this attack isn't another Supergirl teleport. Swamp Thing remains in place when using Bio Fission, but the meter burn version will cause a knock down and swap places with the double.

There's a lot more to Injustice 2's Swamp Thing, so be sure to head over to IGN to read more.

Sent in by Topcard.

Comments

soultruthgemini said on February 16, 2017 at 5:07 p.m.

so... Kan-ra?

MisguidedAngel said on February 16, 2017 at 5:07 p.m.

The NRS Astaroth mmmmm

AveMcree said on February 16, 2017 at 5:14 p.m.

Best Character designs I seen in 2016-2017... Swamp Thing, Rash (KI though I hate playing against that character) and Kum Haehyun (GGRXRD REV)..

IMO..

sku said on February 16, 2017 at 5:23 p.m.

Soup Thing

UncleBibby said on February 16, 2017 at 5:31 p.m.

Swamp thing didnt do many attack-strings in his trailer...

i wonder how many strings he'll have!

pegotaku said on February 16, 2017 at 5:44 p.m.

Sounds a bit like they took some inspiration from Ferra/Torr.

-- The low log projectile is VERY similar to Bowl Girl (Torr sends Ferra sliding nearly full screen)
-- Vine Grab is similar to Boss Toss (though Boss Toss wasn't a true grab)
-- The attacks with the Swamp clones (One Swamp holds the opponent still while another attacks, the clones take turns attacking during certain strings, etc.)
-- Zoner/Grappler, except he throws/controls flora instead of Ferra.

Plus his general attack style -- slow heavy hits, with plants/clones adding extra range or alternating hits the way Ferra did -- is similar. Not derivative, obviously, but inspired.

bornonamonday said on February 16, 2017 at 5:57 p.m.

That's a great analysis, and makes me want to play him more as a replacement for my Grundy. I'm not trusting Bane to be good unless he completely gets reworked.

MisguidedAngel said on February 16, 2017 at 6:07 p.m.

? You know Bane was top 5... right?

And he has to get reworked because he'd be absolutely insane in the new engine.

pegotaku said on February 16, 2017 at 6:08 p.m.

Yeah. I used Ferra/Torr a lot in MKX, so Swamp appeals to me for many of the same reasons. He's a heavy-hitting grappler type, but he has tools that counter projectiles from range, and he still has moves that go nearly full screen. He's not "stuck" if someone wants to zone. He can fight back without having to inch his way back into grappling range (only for the opponent to hop away or teleport... ) In any case, Swamp Thing is looking like the guy I'll practice with first. :D

ParabolaBeam said on February 16, 2017 at 6:14 p.m.

Great stuff.

NRS is putting a lot of time and thought into their characters.

bornonamonday said on February 16, 2017 at 6:26 p.m.

That was probably a bad choice of words. I meant a good choice for my playstyle, because the last time I played Bane I found him boring compared to Grundy and never looked back.

Topcard said on February 16, 2017 at 7:03 p.m.

Swamp Thing and Gorilla Grodd have my attention the most at the moment. I think Swamp Thing will be easier to use, though (Less combo-heavy).

I just wanna know how Scarecrow will play. Should be...interesting.

Mileo said on February 16, 2017 at 7:33 p.m.

Do you have a link to a credible tier list for this game I can't find one. I want to know ive been play IgAU lately

cantban2dgod said on February 16, 2017 at 7:42 p.m.

sounds like a cool character

hakan_mania said on February 16, 2017 at 7:45 p.m.

So he is Birdie!

That_guy_who_plays_DOA said on February 16, 2017 at 7:47 p.m.

Reminds me of Anakaris if he had a better projectile.

Galletano said on February 16, 2017 at 8:09 p.m.

Swamp thing doesn't like to move around. I have to try him.

HyperViperNZ said on February 16, 2017 at 8:58 p.m.

Where my girl Ivy at?

AveMcree said on February 17, 2017 at 5:05 a.m.

Bane was Top tier by the end of Injustice... Pretty sure he will be just as stupid in this version...

The real question is wtf are they going to do to make Cyborg viable in this version?

Blade4693 said on February 17, 2017 at 7:11 a.m.

The idea of NRS making their own Kan-Ra is a bit frightening *shivers*

MisguidedAngel said on February 17, 2017 at 8:41 a.m.

Sadly, there isn't really one. The game died a rather swift death after that second Evo, and by then not too many of us played anyway.

But it's generally agreed the top 3 are Martian, Zod and Aquaman, with Bane and Batgirl around there.

Bane shooting up to top was a perfect example of how not to balance games. NRS didn't realize that by nerfing a character's bad match-ups, you indirectly buff that character. But they also buffed Bane on top of nerfing his bad matches.

bornonamonday said on February 17, 2017 at 10:06 a.m.

They could start with actually weaponizing the Boomtube tech. Forcibly teleporting the opponent around or Summoning things to use or drop on them would be far better than what he had.