Over 150 female characters were considered for addition in UMvC3, but none of them made the cut - Niitsuma details roster choices

Posted by Nicholas 'MajinTenshinhan' Taylor • February 14, 2017 at 1:22 p.m. PST

Ryota Niitsuma has taken to Twitter once more to explain what went down during the development of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and this time he's focusing on the Capcom side of the roster.

Now, we're getting to the interesting, and perhaps saddening part, where we get to hear what could've been - namely, characters that got cut from development and didn't make it in. Niitsuma prefaced the unfortunate cuts with the lines below.

Ryota Niitsuma: Our character count got reduced in the middle of developing Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, so there were some characters that got forcibly cut.

Also, no matter how hard we tried, we just couldn't come to any agreements regarding female characters, so we ended up having no new girls in the roster...

Continue below to find out who, from Capcom's side, didn't quite make it into Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 after all.

Gill: He was in the running to the very end, but we ended up replacing him with Nemesis. Our reasons were that he felt like an unnatural fit with Marvel vs. Capcom 3's game speed, and that we probably had too many Street Fighter characters already.

Fou-Lu: He definitely had domestic popularity, and there was a lot of cool stuff to use for him, like his energy sword, his monster servants, shape-changing and dragon form, but due to the level of work we had to put into him and that we thought nobody abroad would recognize him, we ended up dropping him.

From here, let's move in to female characters.

Katt, Sonson and Mai-Ling: We wanted to have a female staff user, but they ended up losing out in priority.

Arieta: She would end up giving us trouble with the game's age rating.

Rouge: Same reason as above.

Tessa: I really pushed for her. I wanted to have her rival the Impact Palm loops of Dr. Strange...

A grown up Anita: Our staff really went too far with this. There's no character like that even in Darkstalkers... She's just a kid!

Ingrid: You again?!

All in all, we had over 150 female characters in consideration for the game, but none of them ended up being realized...

One character who actually remained until our very last cuts was Nina. By the way, she was based on her Breath of Fire 1 design. I personally like her Breath of Fire 3 design the best, and we were even thinking about having a super where she brought out all the other Ninas, kind of like Mega Man's Final Smash in Super Smash Bros. Wii U.

So, what do you think? Any heartbreakers for you? Let us know in the comments.

All translations in this story made by me, Nicholas "MajinTenshinhan" Taylor.

Source: Ryota Niitsuma's Twitter.

Comments

NyuBomber said on February 14, 2017 at 1:25 p.m.

"Ingrid: You again?!"

Haaaaaaaaaaaa

I would've pushed for Sonson.

DAVT103 said on February 14, 2017 at 1:27 p.m.

I hope Gill appears in MVCI's roster

Turbanator said on February 14, 2017 at 1:27 p.m.

I know that Nina one will piss off a LOT of people.

BlackMasamune said on February 14, 2017 at 1:30 p.m.

I just take this as possible indicators for MVCI's roster.

Heta said on February 14, 2017 at 1:32 p.m.

''You again?!'' LMAO my sides. Gill is the heartbreaker ;_; good reasoning not too many SF is needed and I rather play him in an authentic SF game. Damn I wanted to read the lack of symbiotes tho. Venom or Carnage for MVCI.

Xykes said on February 14, 2017 at 1:35 p.m.

Grown Anita would have been pretty crazy...so perfect for Mahvel.

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 14, 2017 at 1:38 p.m.

A NEW EPISODE OF DWAGONBALLZEE!!

"Ingrid: You again?!"

I laughed harder than I should at this :P

As for the rest...

Arieta? Why would she be inappropriate? *googled* OH GOD! *goes to look for more images*

GiBGUN said on February 14, 2017 at 1:39 p.m.

Tbh I blame SF5 for her absence.

bornonamonday said on February 14, 2017 at 1:41 p.m.

I can understand Aretia even if it pisses me off...But how in the hell would Rouge up the age rating when you were pushing for Gil, had Felica's mostly naked self spinning around and had Trish pulling glasses out of her tits? Because of her transformation or regular outfit? Losing Tessa was bad enough but knowing we could have had Katt and Nina or even Fou Lu?

*(^%*^&$%$^*%$%$^&##$^@ yes I'm mad! You better put one of them in MVCI!

masquedmonk said on February 14, 2017 at 1:42 p.m.

I recall Rouge having to be mildly edited for the US Dreamcast version, as her alternate form had essentially pasties for a top in official Japanese art. The in-game model was covered up.

But really disappointed about Tessa, since WarZard has cool designs and she was cool in SNK vs. Capcom: Chaos.

I LOL'd at Ingrid's response myself.

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 14, 2017 at 1:43 p.m.

I blame Udon for not including her in the story.

Milicona said on February 14, 2017 at 1:46 p.m.

A breath of fire character was considered but denied, CAPCOM you f@#k!

rlt4life said on February 14, 2017 at 1:47 p.m.

Hopefully some of these make the cut in Infinite. Always had this weird thing for Son-Son in MVC2.

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 14, 2017 at 1:49 p.m.

If Phoenix can't be in MVCI. Gill would make a damn good replacement :P

BlackHart said on February 14, 2017 at 1:51 p.m.

How would Rogue up the age rating, what's the thought process behind that??? Anyway, its time for Yellow Iris of Battle Circuit to replace Felecia

lajn said on February 14, 2017 at 1:52 p.m.

Fou-Lu? Breath of Fire 4, Fou-Lu?? They were gonna put him in Marvel???

THAT WOULD'VE BEEN THE COOLEST THING EVER. Why did you even tell me this, Capcom, I'm crying.

lajn said on February 14, 2017 at 1:55 p.m.

Gill is the perfect type of SF character for inclusion in a Marvel game. I know they have to include Ryu and Chun-tier icons, but IMO they should just grab all the bosses. Give me Shin Akuma, Shin Bison, Gill, hell give me Seth. I want crazy stuff.

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 14, 2017 at 1:56 p.m.
HooliganComboFTW said on February 14, 2017 at 1:57 p.m.

Yes we can't have a fifth street fighter character heavens no, but we can have a fourth resident evil character apparently. Meanwhile screw the IPs that have one or even no reps according to Capcom lol

Kijui said on February 14, 2017 at 1:57 p.m.

Um, you guys coulda easily just put Arieta in clothes... I like how a succubus made the cut, but a naked slave girl is too hard to work around

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 14, 2017 at 1:57 p.m.

not Rogue. Rouge.

This is Rogue.

This is Rouge

This is Rouge when she's powered up http://www.fightersgeneration.com/cha...

Any questions?

Burningpluto said on February 14, 2017 at 2:01 p.m.

well this pretty well confirms the "rumored" leak list for infinite is true We Are getting NINA from Breath of Fire ( as to why who knows as there are numerous other BOF characters tht would be awesome in MvC) Probably Releasing Ryu or Fou-Lu as DLC in future.

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 14, 2017 at 2:01 p.m.

Honestly, if they put more SF characters people will bitch the same way Injustice have too many batman villains.

I think honestly they want to put those characters in but they couldn't come to terms due to cost especially Fou Lu.

Burningpluto said on February 14, 2017 at 2:03 p.m.

Welp they said it woulda been TOO MUCH work lol. But lets put boring Nina? She would be a poormans version of STORM. Man there are so many awesome BOf characters that would be enjoyable Nina is the last one..

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 14, 2017 at 2:07 p.m.

There's also the fact that she's not well known as the others. WHy put in Arieta when Jin's the poster boy for cyberbots?

Veedot said on February 14, 2017 at 2:07 p.m.

They ignored Ninas best design (BoFII)

BoscaBat said on February 14, 2017 at 2:08 p.m.

If they bring Nina into it, please use her design from 3 or 4..everything else is ew.

lajn said on February 14, 2017 at 2:13 p.m.

Yeah, Nina is just too iconic, but if they want to do a mage why not Deis? She is much more visually interesting.

Most of the other ones are not well known enough. Frankly, BOF hasn't crossed my mind in a long time because Capcom let the series die.

bornonamonday said on February 14, 2017 at 2:13 p.m.

There nothing there that slight editing wouldn't have fixed. Hell remove the damn pasties even, you have a naked catgirl running around and no one cares!

frogorificmoon said on February 14, 2017 at 2:15 p.m.

Princess Nina almost made it. She is my favorite female from breath of fire. So close to making it in...

HyperGadoken said on February 14, 2017 at 2:15 p.m.

Rogue was a problem? She's not even that sexualized in the Versus series, just cause she would do power drain kiss with Morrigan? and Jill? and Chun-Li?.......and She Hulk?...... and Hsien-Ko?....and Phoenix?.......and Trish too? tall blonde sexy Trish and she has that smile where she d--. Excuse me there, lost my train of thought. But yeah, Rogue isn't a sexy looking character

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 14, 2017 at 2:16 p.m.

If I have to guess, if they remove it then it wouldn't be her anymore. And not only that, YOU KNOW, how the scumbags and idiots around here are going to be like.

Capcom CENSORS THEIR OWN IP! CAPCOM CATERS TO WESTERN AUDIENCES WHO ARE UPTIGHT ON FEMALE ANATOMY!!!!

As for me, I don't mind censoring as long as the gameplay is badass :P

Megamanx9plz said on February 14, 2017 at 2:16 p.m.

Grown up Anita sounds really epic

Tsujimatsu said on February 14, 2017 at 2:17 p.m.

You have to remember that the ESRB and CERO can be incredibly strict. The ESRB forced MvC3's websites to only include headshots of Felicia and Morrigan, while also requiring C. Viper's burn kicks to be blurred during gameplay footage. Rouge would cause lots of trouble.

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 14, 2017 at 2:18 p.m.

...where's that list again.

bornonamonday said on February 14, 2017 at 2:19 p.m.

Momo or Rei would have been my first picks with Nina second, would have liked Nina because we would have at least had a capcom mage if Tessa was out and mutiple ninas could have been fun. AND it would have opened the gates for more BOF characters.

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 14, 2017 at 2:22 p.m.

I also wouldn't mind having Kenji return as well. http://capcom.wikia.com/wiki/Kenji

bornonamonday said on February 14, 2017 at 2:25 p.m.

Same here. I could care less what bitching would rise, I've been wanting her in a versus game forever and can get over the loss of the pasties if she was fun and faithful gameplay wise.

Avengedguy said on February 14, 2017 at 2:29 p.m.

If Juri is in Unlimited i'll be happy.

bornonamonday said on February 14, 2017 at 2:29 p.m.

Strider and Kenji on a team together would be pretty epic.

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 14, 2017 at 2:33 p.m.

Heh I almost want Kenji to have his fatalities on this but I think that'll be too much.

RandomSelectMaster said on February 14, 2017 at 2:35 p.m.

I am sure one of these will make it to MVCI :)

Burningpluto said on February 14, 2017 at 2:40 p.m.

its pretty much confirmed that NINA is in MvCI

downvote said on February 14, 2017 at 2:45 p.m.

Nobody cares about Ingrid.

NOT EVEN CAPCOM!

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

ultimatesol said on February 14, 2017 at 2:49 p.m.

"Rouge: She would end up giving us trouble with the game's age rating"

da heck ??

mcb650 said on February 14, 2017 at 2:49 p.m.

They should've gone with probably any of these over that terrible DLC version of Jill they ended up putting in.

raymk said on February 14, 2017 at 2:50 p.m.

Actually people didn't want that many sf characters. People were already made akuma got in. So yes they made the right decision.

Pachendrix said on February 14, 2017 at 2:55 p.m.

Still stuck in the part where Morrigan, Felicia or Trish aren't a concern for "age rating", but Rogue is....

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 14, 2017 at 2:59 p.m.

...Rogue again eh?

Remember when you told me to read carefully before posting? and I told you to follow your own advice?

You might want to do that.

phifedawg said on February 14, 2017 at 3:17 p.m.

ahahahaha suck it Ingrid fanboys

Endless_X_Chaos said on February 14, 2017 at 3:17 p.m.

Rogue kissed the WHOLE CAST of mcv2. . . . .

XxAngelChunLixX said on February 14, 2017 at 3:20 p.m.

So not ONE female character out of TWELVE could've made it in Ultimate? Yeah okay. Disgusting

NyuBomber said on February 14, 2017 at 3:21 p.m.

Rouge. *Rouge*

As in the Power Stone girl who gets spinny-boob-pasties in her powered-up form. That's a step farther than even Felicia, when it comes to the ESRB.

XxAngelChunLixX said on February 14, 2017 at 3:33 p.m.

Also, I don't know if anyone has saw the infinite "leak list", but I'm surprised there hasn't been an article on it.

NotOneOfUs said on February 14, 2017 at 3:38 p.m.

No Bulleta and no Rouge makes NOOU something something

chilldoman said on February 14, 2017 at 3:44 p.m.

YES for Breath of Fire representation! Rei the Were-Tiger!

Kavey said on February 14, 2017 at 3:46 p.m.

Yes, but everthing else is OK just below III and IV especially III

Noxerx said on February 14, 2017 at 3:51 p.m.

Are you talking about the new year ten_count list? That one was confirmed fake by Ryce.

XxAngelChunLixX said on February 14, 2017 at 3:56 p.m.

I don't know, but I hope it is. I deemed it trash and crap as soon as I saw Leon and Ada instead of Jill and Claire, and.....Gill.

ScrubStep said on February 14, 2017 at 3:57 p.m.

Yooooo grown-up anita with Donovan's sword and pseudo move set would be siiiiiiiiick.

Dongood said on February 14, 2017 at 3:58 p.m.

Heck yeah to some BoF respect.

Fou-lu is infinitely cool and badass. Since he's basically Ryu he easily takes the cake as my most wanted.

Rei is awesome and so is Katt, were-tiger takes the cake over Katt's shaman form.

Garr how epic would that be? big body, long range staff user.

Nina's great people need to stop hating, she is not a poor man's Storm she is Capcom's rich answer to storm if they so choose to design her similarly. BoFIII Nina best Nina.

J said on February 14, 2017 at 4:01 p.m.

I can see Gill fitting into MvCI just fine.

GamerBear said on February 14, 2017 at 4:05 p.m.

Man, people really have a reading disability when it comes to Rogue and Rouge.

Gill, meh, honestly if he never appears in a game again I'm totally okay with that. He was a fine boss and had mechanics that worked in that role, but I honestly don't care to see him as a playable character.

Fou-Lou would've definitely been interesting, but probably a VERY development cost heavy character. It's not the days where you'd need one still sprite and you could work with that, creating a whole polygonal model takes way longer.

Katt, Sonson and Mai-Ling, I'dve liked to see any of 'em in, I like the kung-fu girl aesthetic, including with staff fighting. I can see why recognizably might be a bit of an issue and yeah, if you can't really figure out how to make 'em work mechanically that's a pretty solid reason to not go with 'em.

Arieta could've been a very interesting addition, buuut I can totally see how that's a fair argument against her, again especially with polygonal models where you'd have to be CRAZY meticulous to try and not let any animation reveal too much. Again an issue that could've been worked around with sprites more easily, but...

Rouge, yeah, pasties with whatever you'd call those things on 'em in transformed form would be kinda hard to explain to the ratings board. XD

Tessa is IMO THE character to try and salvage from Warzard/Red Earth, maybe slip her into the Darkstalkers lore if they ever do another one. lol

Grown up Anita... I guess it's an interesting enough concept, but again, the character's never really even existed, why would she deserve a slot over one that actually has fans?

Igrid, good riddance. :P

Azureneedle said on February 14, 2017 at 4:22 p.m.

Seriously. I yelled out when I saw that part.

CAPCOM , PLEASE UNDERSTAND. WE REALLY LIKE BREATH OF FIRE.
PLEASE SHOW IT A LITTLE MORE LOVE!

Dimensional said on February 14, 2017 at 4:23 p.m.

I just want to see Psylocke in the next one.

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 14, 2017 at 4:24 p.m.

"Man, people really have a reading disability when it comes to Rogue and Rouge."

HEY! that's not nice! Kindergarten was hard for them! It's hard to learn when you're slurping glue.

Tessa could be the answer to Marvel's Dr. Strange. I think it's great that Capcom have their own equivalent to that of Marvel's cast. It's literally like who would win situation that attracts the casual crowd.

They did do a crossover with darkstalkers a while back. I think at this point a lot of capcom's older one off franchise should be rebuild into eahc other's lore and origins so this way it depends their roster even further.

The Ingrid hate train doesn't stop won't stop.

flashkill455 said on February 14, 2017 at 4:50 p.m.

I used to read Rouge from Sonic the Hedgehog as Rogue. I guess me and A3 are the only people who passed that stage in our lives.

LordMorningstar said on February 14, 2017 at 4:54 p.m.

Wait until she makes an official appearence in DS first. If they ever make a sequel, that is

Hexelf said on February 14, 2017 at 5:03 p.m.

What a disgrace.

As much as I like UMVC3, it really baffled me when it was revealed that it would have ten new characters, but all of them were guys.

From Capcom and Marvel, both of whom are responsible for some of the most memorable women in fiction.

Such a wasted opportunity.

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 14, 2017 at 5:20 p.m.

I'm surprised Marvel didn't include Black widow of all people in MVC3. She was very prominent in all the Marvel movies they released afterwards.

I'm glad Captain Marvel gets a nice showcase on the first footage though :D

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 14, 2017 at 5:32 p.m.

HOLY FECK! there's only 4 women on Marvel's side D:

Shehulk, Phoenix, X23, Storm

9 on capcom's side.

Amaterasu, Morrigan, chun, hsienko, fellicia, Jill, Trish, Tron, Cviper.

Brainwizer said on February 14, 2017 at 5:37 p.m.

Amaterasu is a human or humanoid female at the age of adulthood?

Here I am thinking she was a female wolf deity or something.

Shumanigans said on February 14, 2017 at 6:27 p.m.

Tessa & Hydron vs Dr. Strange & Shuma

Make it happen Capcom!! And I'm not talking about hentai.

SlashXanity said on February 14, 2017 at 7:12 p.m.

Trash ryota -.-

DandyCheeks said on February 14, 2017 at 7:14 p.m.

Check out comment #21. Rouge, not Rogue.

CapN_Crump said on February 14, 2017 at 7:37 p.m.

It makes me happy to see so many other people that are equally as excited and heartbroken as I am to know that we were close to getting some BOF representation in the game. It gives me SOME home for MVC:I but I'm not gonna get too excited -_-

TheMasterPlayer said on February 14, 2017 at 8:20 p.m.

Maybe they can add a few characters from SFV. Sagat would be a fine addition.. oh wait, lol!

TaokakaBOOM said on February 14, 2017 at 8:32 p.m.

What a pity, Sonson would have been great.

xShonuffx said on February 14, 2017 at 10:43 p.m.

*raises hand*

MisguidedAngel said on February 14, 2017 at 11:51 p.m.

This thread just showed how many dyslexic readers Eventhubs has. (At least four ;))

Rogue and Rouge are two different words, people.

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 15, 2017 at 12:02 a.m.

Eh I know it's cheating, but sure she's a goddess she can be whatever she wants :P

GamerBear said on February 15, 2017 at 12:09 a.m.

Yeah, wait a sec, Sagat would be an incredibly boring addition, so lets not. :P

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 15, 2017 at 12:10 a.m.

If your question has anything to do with if Rouge the bat can come into MVCI instead that would be a no mr Shonuff!

Teohkaka said on February 15, 2017 at 12:10 a.m.

If they meant X-men Rogue they probably meant her command grab kiss. That would send the over sensitives nuts nowadays.

If they meant Power Stone Rouge they meant her power stone form has joystick pasties.

But somehow furrie pasties Felecia is allowed to make the cut , which kind of makes it all hypocritical , especially when Felcia is less clothed than Rouge.

If they also meant Sega/Sonic Rouge they meant , they would only go so far with furries.

MKK_hanzo said on February 15, 2017 at 3:51 a.m.

It is just me that feels bad when they say"that would be too hard to do" or "it was too much work/make it work"?

So lazy the industry has become. Sigh.

I remembe the good ol' snes/neogeo days when Capcom/Konami competed with QUALITY.

They tried so hard to push the envelope with quality. Aometimes I feel it was like "we will make this game so pretty/deep/awesome/fun that everyone will copy it".

Again: Sigh.

Omega_Creator said on February 15, 2017 at 5:10 a.m.

I'd never heard of Arieta before this article. Turns out she is a naked chick driving a robot! That would've been awesome in MvC3. She'd have looked great and triggered many SJW's.

LeonX said on February 15, 2017 at 5:45 a.m.

Capcom feeding the Ingrid hate...

Well at least I have Eliza on Tekken 7 so, I'm ok!

But not including Tessa? :\ Red Earth characters needs more love

Honeyman said on February 15, 2017 at 5:55 a.m.

Capcom did a good job with character diversity in UMvC3. The Marvel side had a decent variety of faces and series that hadn't appeared before from Capcom's side were also present. I hope Capcom keeps the variety going and therefore characters from Breath of Fire, Cyberbots, Plasma Sword and other franchises will be most welcome. One or two from Street Fighter and Resident Evil is fine but please don't make half of the Capcom roster only from these two franchises please Capcom!

ivan_blues said on February 15, 2017 at 8:15 a.m.

MVCI needs to show some love to Breath of Fire.

shinshom said on February 15, 2017 at 8:48 a.m.

Fou-Lu got cut off.... Nina got cut off... I can't handle this T_____________________T

DarkPhoenixRises said on February 15, 2017 at 10:09 a.m.

Man I wish Rouge made it, they could have revamped her outfit a little bit, I hope she is included in MVCI I really want Wang-Tang though.

rabadaglan said on February 15, 2017 at 12:28 p.m.

So what you are saying about Ingrid.

There's still a chance?

xRELLIKx said on February 15, 2017 at 7:53 p.m.

Dissapointed Fou-Lu wasnt selected. IMO one of the great things MVC2 did was open my eyes to all these other cool characters (granted I was a lot younger).
Did any yall OG's immediately recognize all the Capcom characters in MVC2 when it came out on DC?

spades111 said on February 16, 2017 at 7:25 a.m.

Breath of Fire 2 Nina is best Nina
When she was a card in the Heroes vs Heralds mode I felt so teased
I like part of me thought bet Capcom wants her in the game
Guess I wasn't too far off

ShinDarkShadow said on February 18, 2017 at 5:16 a.m.

They cut Fou-Lu from the game?! That's saddening..

bboy_duck said on February 24, 2017 at 8:42 a.m.

add juri and i'll buy the game 5 times