Phoenix Wright and Vergil added due to popularity, but Nemesis a last minute replacement? - Niitsuma gives more insight into UMvC3 character choices

Posted by Nicholas 'MajinTenshinhan' Taylor • February 9, 2017 at 4:53 p.m. PST

Ryota Niitsuma has taken to Twitter once more to explain what went down during the development of Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and this time he's focusing on the Capcom side of the roster.

First up, we're going to detail the choices he did end up putting in the game, though look forward to a bunch of unfortunate cuts in a future story. First, let's hear what he had to say about the incredibly popular Phoenix Wright.

Phoenix Wright: He was the most requested character after we released Marvel vs. Capcom 3, and he's a really popular character, so we wanted to take him on as a challenge. His lines were supervised by Mr. Taku from Honke D.

I vividly remember feeling "Wow, this is totally what Phoenix Wright would say!", with warm emotion inside me.

Continue below to hear about the other Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, except for Firebrand, who has been detailed by Niitsuma in the past.

Strider Hiryu: He was also very requested right after Marvel vs. Capcom 3. A lot of people felt "He IS Marvel vs. Capcom"!

Frank West: We actually started making him for the original Marvel vs. Capcom 3. With our know-how from Tatsunoko vs. Capcom's development, we thought we made him really fun in Ultimate.

Vergil: When we gathered data from our fans in Japan, he was way more requested than we ever expected. The decider for us was when we were at Tokyo Game Show, and we have several Vergil cosplayers come up to us and say "Put Vergil in, please!"

Nemesis T-Type: We decided on the concept of having a unorthodox character to add. Actually, he wasn't our first choice, but ended up replacing our earlier candidate somewhere down the line...

If you're curious about who Nemesis T-Type ended up replacing, don't worry. Niitsuma clears this mystery up when he moves on to the characters that ended up being cut from the final product.

All translations made by me, Nicholas "MajinTenshinhan" Taylor.

Source: Ryota Niitsuma's Twitter.

Comments

SpadeHand said on February 9, 2017 at 4:56 p.m.

So where's the rest of the translations?

AngriestAngryArtist said on February 9, 2017 at 4:58 p.m.

IN THE NEXT EPISODE OF DWAGONBALLZEE!!

CKNG said on February 9, 2017 at 5:02 p.m.

YOU WONT BELIEVE WHO IT IS!

SaikyoBro said on February 9, 2017 at 5:06 p.m.

i guess gill

FoShizzle93 said on February 9, 2017 at 5:13 p.m.

I don't know if this helps, but there was a list of characters somewhere(can't remember where) that included Tessa from Red Earth and Katt from Breath of Fire 2

edrigo said on February 9, 2017 at 5:14 p.m.

Virgil is a great character him being open just makes sense

TheGuardian07 said on February 9, 2017 at 5:20 p.m.

I bet it was Hauzer or a Monster Hunter creature.

Eye_of_Orochi said on February 9, 2017 at 5:27 p.m.

Even though I love Nemesis, you can tell he was rushed. There is more they could have done with that moveset, even his balance in the game was unpolished.

Eye_of_Orochi said on February 9, 2017 at 5:34 p.m.

Tessa would have been dope, still holdin' on to hope she'll be in MvC:i

Shumanigans said on February 9, 2017 at 5:52 p.m.

If it was any Red Earth monster, I would flip. Especially for Hydron. Shuma needed a squid buddy.

malcrash01 said on February 9, 2017 at 5:54 p.m.

I chuckled to this

GensDisciple said on February 9, 2017 at 6:01 p.m.

I'm 100% gonna miss this game. We're regressing to a 1v1 game with no assists and the only time you'll see your partner is to tag out our use them in a combo. No happy birthdays, no one character victories, no Phoenix blow ups, no L3 XF comebacks.... Where's the hype gonna be.... Please tell me. Hit confirm, stone , touch of death? ... I'm really fearful were going back to the Stone Age.

Mondegreen said on February 9, 2017 at 6:08 p.m.

THANKS A LOT, YA DAMN VERGIL COSPLAYERS!!!

No, seriously though, if I were one of those cosplayers and I read this interview I would feel pretty proud of myself. Guess it's time to make an Amingo costume and start stalking the MvC Infinite team...

Kavey said on February 9, 2017 at 6:12 p.m.

I kinda want Vergil in MvC:I, just cause he was broken before that doesn't make him less cool to me.

darthvenom said on February 9, 2017 at 6:13 p.m.

Nemesis probaby replaced Tyrant, Tyrant was just too gory.

MKK_hanzo said on February 9, 2017 at 6:18 p.m.

He appears in MvC2 Jill lvl.3 super tho.

XxAngelChunLixX said on February 9, 2017 at 6:28 p.m.

Funny because Vergil is part of what killed the game, and Nemmy is one of my favorite characters to watch/use. I never touch the big slow monster types, but I can't resist some Nemmy. <3

Clamper said on February 9, 2017 at 6:37 p.m.

Screw EH clickbait, i'll spoil it for you guys: it was supposed to be Gill. But then he was exchanged for Nemesis in the last minute.

edrigo said on February 9, 2017 at 6:38 p.m.

Meant to say virgil being op is understandable

bornonamonday said on February 9, 2017 at 6:45 p.m.

Worth the sacrifice.

darthvenom said on February 9, 2017 at 6:51 p.m.

It's a bit different with pixels to the ESRB

CyberShinobi said on February 9, 2017 at 7:04 p.m.

I'm pretty sure Megaman was very popular too, but whatever. *shrugs*

FoShizzle93 said on February 9, 2017 at 7:19 p.m.

Same here. She'd be a perfect rival for Dr. Strange

RLAAMJR said on February 9, 2017 at 7:38 p.m.

Hurray for Phoenix Wright! :)

RisingStar said on February 9, 2017 at 8 p.m.

Nemesis is one of my fav fighting game characters, please let him be in MvCI

RLAAMJR said on February 9, 2017 at 8:03 p.m.

White hair characters are awesome. And we already have Vergil. We need other white-haired characters like Amaterasu, Storm, Magneto and Ingrid!

jme said on February 9, 2017 at 8:08 p.m.

I actually like Frank in Tvc better.

OTG shopping cart ftw.

SlyHaro said on February 9, 2017 at 8:24 p.m.

Vergil made me stop playing marvel lmao

KingKong said on February 9, 2017 at 8:31 p.m.

As a spectator, here's my opinion; I don't really mind OP characters as long as they are badass and awesome. Vergil, Doom, Zero, Morrigan, they're all awesome characters in my book so i'm good. I know people are tired of these characters, so I kinda feel lucky I can still appreciate a Doom infinite when I see one.

Afterburn said on February 9, 2017 at 8:38 p.m.

When Vanilla MvC3 was out, I was struggling to find a good 3rd party member. Ultimate get announced, and I said I hope they put Vergil in so that I can use him. Low and behold. So thanks random cosplayers!

I wouldn't mind Vergil in MvCi either. Maybe just, a little less broken. :P

MightyAfro said on February 9, 2017 at 8:51 p.m.

Gotta admit though, he had an UGLY model

el_Principe_de_Lety said on February 9, 2017 at 8:54 p.m.

I love that a meme literally made it into Marvel based on popularity alone.

OBJECTION!

werewolfgold said on February 9, 2017 at 9:01 p.m.

Phoenix Wright needs to have his revenge in MvCI.

Mecha_G said on February 9, 2017 at 9:49 p.m.

I just want to know how Gene got passed over.

ryuhayabusa13 said on February 9, 2017 at 9:51 p.m.

Phoenix Wright suing akuma is awesome

Negative_Penalty said on February 9, 2017 at 10:35 p.m.

Does anyone care about this? what about some Infinite info instead?

ScrubStep said on February 9, 2017 at 11:05 p.m.

I bet Nemesis was gonna be Saddler! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF ME.

theshredder39 said on February 9, 2017 at 11:20 p.m.

Well we can't get new MVCI info if Capcom hasn't given it to us yet and Nitsuma isn't even part of this game's development so there's not much we can do about that

RaiKageRyu said on February 9, 2017 at 11:48 p.m.

What a terrible way to end the article. I had to do a double take at the end there for a link or something.

Leave a to be continued at a later article or something at the end, and no your second leading paragraph did not count.

xShonuffx said on February 10, 2017 at 12:26 a.m.

I have to be honest, when I first saw the banner I thought Pheonix Wright and Vergil was announced for MvCI.

MajinTenshinhan said on February 10, 2017 at 1:12 a.m.

Why does it not count when it is literally exactly what you asked for?

Burning_Typhoon said on February 10, 2017 at 5:15 a.m.

Those sprites in MvC2 were 16 bit. Totally not the same as seeing it in 3D.

Jookey said on February 10, 2017 at 5:28 a.m.

Nemesis replaced Gill btw

BlackHart said on February 10, 2017 at 7:37 a.m.

Dustforce for MvC:I

DestinyZX1 said on February 10, 2017 at 10:52 a.m.

I was angry that Mega Man wasn't in Vanilla MvC3 nor Ultimate mostly cause he got replaced by other characters. In time, I grew to like Phoenix Wright... he's very unorthodox and unexpected to see.

mr_b_420 said on February 10, 2017 at 12:37 p.m.

Jill didn't have a level 3 in mvc2. I know, she's my bottom btch and they ruined her in umvc3, (from a playability stance). If they do decide to bring Jill back for MVCI I want S.T.A.R.S Jill not new RE Jill.

p.s. re7...... its good, not perfect, but its re again, atleast for this generation.