The five worst Mortal Kombat games according to History Behind the Warrior

Posted by John 'Velociraptor' Guerrero • February 8, 2017 at 5:40 p.m. PST

Mortal Kombat has a legacy not only in the FGC, but in the gaming world as a whole. This franchise has been exciting players and terrifying parents for nearly a quarter century now, but with as many unique titles as are in the MK universe you know there's likely at least a dud or two.

History Behind the Warrior has rounded up their top five worst Mortal Kombat games, and although not all of these are deemed unplayable, they do fall on the lower end of the fun to play spectrum.

All titles in HBTW's video get a decently in-depth explanation as to why they failed to the hit the mark in one way or another. Give it a watch and then let us know if you agree or disagree, and how you'd go about ordering your most and least favorite MK titles.

Source: History Behind the Warrior.

Comments

Jaded_Buddha said on February 8, 2017 at 5:54 p.m.

Doesn't really need the Top 5 does it? Couldn't just be worst 5 MK games could it?

JTCircus said on February 8, 2017 at 6:05 p.m.

Spoiler:
MK4
MK5
MK6
MK7
MK8

As if there was any mystery.

lajn said on February 8, 2017 at 6:09 p.m.

I liked Deadly Alliance. Thought MK had gone under at the time because MK4 was so bad. It was a nice surprise. Decent story. Giving each character a weapon and different stances was really cool. I unlocked everything in that game.

Demon_00 said on February 8, 2017 at 6:11 p.m.

They were mostly focusing on story since most MK fans are horny for that. The only decent MK game, gameplay-wise, is MKX. Even MK9 sucked and was a mess when it came to balance

Xar5000 said on February 8, 2017 at 6:27 p.m.

Thanks. I prefer text list than watching videos at times.

Havik92 said on February 8, 2017 at 6:30 p.m.

MK9 was NRS first Mk game in a while. So for them to return to their roots of 2D fighting and on top of putting in the story and al the stuff they put into the game at once I agree that it was a little messy. But MKX was a huge improvement. I love NRS even tho most on Ehubs comments hates on them lol. But I agree 100% that MK9 was a mess

CaptainHowdy said on February 8, 2017 at 6:32 p.m.

Agreed. The only good one was MKX. This is the only MK game I liked ever. The rest were trash to me

KingKong said on February 8, 2017 at 6:35 p.m.

MK9 and MKX made me forget how bad some of these games were...

Off-topic, but I've been trying to change my avatar, and for some reason it doesn't work? I can upload the picture, and resize it, but when I press Submit it goes back to my profile page however the pic remains unchanged :( Do you guys have any tips? thanks.

RunningWildVidya said on February 8, 2017 at 7:01 p.m.

All of them.

SFViper said on February 8, 2017 at 7:02 p.m.

MK4 wasn't a step up from MK Trilogy but it wasn't a bad game.

MisguidedAngel said on February 8, 2017 at 7:04 p.m.

Deception and Deadly Alliance were critically acclaimed. They may not have aged well but those games were great when they came around.

So many countless hours out of the RPG modes and Krypt etc

theshredder39 said on February 8, 2017 at 7:06 p.m.

Only 3 of those are correct, but even then 2 of those three correct guesses are in the wrong order.

Pachendrix said on February 8, 2017 at 7:27 p.m.

No surprise here, I personally would've also added Deadly Alliance, the only good 3d MK was Deception. Also I do have to point out that MK4 brought one of the best and most underappreciated villains in the franchise, Reiko. It wasn't a good game, but at least we got Reiko, Kenshin, Quan Chi, Fujin and Shinnok.

I do find curious that of all the great videos HBTW has (mainly MK, but he posts videos of pretty much every fighting franchise), only the "worst of MK" is made into an article.

Dperiod said on February 8, 2017 at 7:36 p.m.

Mk vr D.C. Was by faaaar the best.🔥

Pachendrix said on February 8, 2017 at 7:43 p.m.

Pretty sure there must be an alternate universe, where MKvsDC and SFxT are the greatest games of all time. They probably also have ShaqFu as their favorite classic.

Dperiod said on February 8, 2017 at 7:46 p.m.

😭😂😭😂 yah and they're all EVO top played games too!!!

GunMetal said on February 8, 2017 at 7:49 p.m.

All were bad except MK9 and MKX

BlankaBeast said on February 8, 2017 at 8:32 p.m.

MK II was best.

Otter_of_Death said on February 8, 2017 at 8:37 p.m.

It really makes me sad that mkda and mkd get ripped on all the time. Those games were sick when they came out. Also, mk9 had problems, but those problems are grossly overstated. It was still a solid competitive fighting game.

Hell, if you nerfed Lao, Kabal, and H. Smoke, UMK3 would be one of the best fighters ever made.

brerrabbit said on February 8, 2017 at 8:51 p.m.

there is a UMK3 hack that has the whole cast balanced out, fixed the infinites and glitch jabs.

i'm kinda sad it didn't sit well with the few who still play the game because they didn't like that h.smoke wasn't overpowered anymore.

Pachendrix said on February 8, 2017 at 8:57 p.m.

UMK3 is still one of the best fighters ever made, it's problems don't change a thing. 3rd Strike, MvC2 and UMK3 are the holy trinity, and trust me, they all have huge problems.

Chunners said on February 8, 2017 at 9:18 p.m.

I enjoyed the 3d ones actually.

HyperGadoken said on February 8, 2017 at 9:47 p.m.

I like Deadly Alliance story more than Deception. Liu Kang was dead, Shang Tsung and Quan Chi formed a tag team of Mega Powers proportions. Only thing that was lacking was a true boss. Deception was a great story for being without the main characters but Onaga was a terrible character, too big.

daisetsu said on February 8, 2017 at 10:03 p.m.

MK3
Mythologies: Sub-zero
Special Forces
MK TE
MK1

MisguidedAngel said on February 8, 2017 at 10:34 p.m.

You know he was trolling right.

That's not the real list.

HoneyMP3 said on February 8, 2017 at 11:42 p.m.

All MK games were good.

Heta said on February 9, 2017 at 12:17 a.m.

Don't bully Mythologies too much. It's focused on my boy Bi-Han and during those days I liked story modes with real actors. Like SW Dark Forces 2 except that game is real good.

My favorites
MK2, MK3, Gold, MK9, X

Dislike nothing in particular. Except I hate vs DC.

Armageddon opening reminded me that Kuai Liang's outfit is the best.

AugustAPC said on February 9, 2017 at 12:31 a.m.

My top 5 worst would be:

5. MK vs DCU
4. MK Deadly Alliance
3. MK 4
2. MK Armageddon
1. MK Special Forces

Top best:

5. MK 1
4. UMK3
3. MK 2
2. MK 9
1. MK X

BunnyBoy said on February 9, 2017 at 12:33 a.m.

Best game to me is still MKII, mostly due to it having that cheesy 90's Midway charm.

The newer games lack that charm completely though. :(

Sasuga said on February 9, 2017 at 1:32 a.m.

MK9 was a lot more fun than MKX. I really wish they did an UMK9. MK9 was the best MK for me, even though it was unbalanced and had a lot of weird quircks.

BringDaRufus said on February 9, 2017 at 2:03 a.m.

He forgot Tao Feng !

maxi2099 said on February 9, 2017 at 2:42 a.m.

If you take out nostalgia googles, you can see how there's no good MK before 2011 excluding by Shaolin Monks.

DARKKARASBLADE said on February 9, 2017 at 3:14 a.m.

Nrs made all the mk games.

downvote said on February 9, 2017 at 3:54 a.m.

They are all bad!
I kid, I kid!

MK2 in the arcades was bomb. The PS2 beat em up was fun for what it was. MK9 story mode was amazing! Though I quickly lost interest in the actual game itself (hence massive sales quick player drop off I guess). Haven't touched an NRS game after 9, realized they were not my style.

That_guy_who_plays_DOA said on February 9, 2017 at 3:58 a.m.

MKII was my jam, and I love 3. Those games actually offer quite a bit, more than most think.

JoeStarX said on February 9, 2017 at 4:20 a.m.

Deception was so much fun Armageddon would be better if it didnt have that stupid create a fatality idea

kabal31082 said on February 9, 2017 at 5:12 a.m.

Huge MK fan. My personal best and worst when it comes to the series:

Best:
1-UMK3
2-MK 9
3-MK 2
4-MK XL

Worst:
1-Mk special forces
2-Mk vs DCU
3-Deadly alliance
4-Mk 4

mrHowlll said on February 9, 2017 at 6:18 a.m.

My favorites are 3, Armageddon, 9, and X
I have never played X but it looks great

Captainbuttocks said on February 9, 2017 at 7:30 a.m.

They are working on it. Theres a glitch on the edit screen. All u can do is wait and keep trying later on.

MCMathematik said on February 9, 2017 at 8:02 a.m.

Mortal Kombat vs DC Comics was a very important title for the franchise, because it was the reason we have the Injustice series today. It wasn't the best, but it was key to revitalizing NetherRealm studios.

AveMcree said on February 9, 2017 at 8:10 a.m.

tbh, the only good MK game overall was MKX.... I know people going to say I'm hating but IDC about a story mode in a fighting game (though MK9's was all out entertaining AF).

The first MK was sooooooooooooooooooo bad. Even as a child the only cool thing about it was the fatalities (novelty BS). MK2 was better but it was still terrible. UMK3 was actually the one I played the most out of all of them because Midway focused on the depth and the novelty BS. At the same time, I remember getting hit with Kung Lao's infinite A LOT!!!!! It was my first competitive MK game. I'd still play it though

MK vs DC was absolute TRASH!!! Worst $60 I spent in my life.. Ironically the game sold out at my Funcoland (RIP Funcoland) job based off the name alone. Far too many people defend this clunky terd of a game. It very well made me not want to buy another Midway game again (Mind you I love the hell out of NBA Jam).. But this was early signs of a decent story telling mode which NRS will get extra love from the casuals later

MK9 was a complete mess of block infinite 9-1 MU's probably one of the worst balanced games of this generation...

MKX was a great leap and you could tell they focused on getting stuff right (outside of the whole DLC character balance which I gladly missed out on).

RedRapperSux said on February 9, 2017 at 9:25 a.m.

I always had a soft spot for MK4. It was one of my first PS1 games and the level of violence it had at the time was a huge step up from anything I had ever seen. Mortal Kombat has always been about edgy violence first, gameplay second. With that said, I don't think MK4 was really all that bad for what it was trying to accomplish.

Dimensional said on February 9, 2017 at 10:01 a.m.

I would go so far as to say the only ones that dont completely suck are MK9 and MKX.

edrigo said on February 9, 2017 at 11:56 a.m.

Mk2 had the best character design. But my word did they make some stinkers.

Demon_00 said on February 9, 2017 at 1:25 p.m.

Balance issues aside, MK9 had the worst netcode of any fighting game which added greatly to its unplayability

Otter_of_Death said on February 9, 2017 at 10:32 p.m.

There are no block infinites in MKX after the first major patch. It's also not even that unbalanced. In balanced in the Third Strike sense where there's about 12 viable characters with two OP (but still beatable) characters.

Otter_of_Death said on February 9, 2017 at 11:19 p.m.

I meant MK9, not MKX. My bad, but you see my point.

genocide_cutter said on February 10, 2017 at 10:15 a.m.

All of them except 2, UMK3 and MKX.

genocide_cutter said on February 10, 2017 at 10:32 a.m.

Oh and Shaolin Monks

Bird_LaoX said on February 10, 2017 at 11:39 a.m.

Why not top best MK games? Such a non conservative thread.

Talk about good fun mk games instead like

MK2
UMK3
MKT
MK9
MKXL.

Bird_LaoX said on February 10, 2017 at 11:48 a.m.

MKDC main issue was gameplay mechanics, the lack of fatals is such a noob complaint.

RedRapperSux said on February 22, 2017 at 7:52 a.m.

Tekken 6 is still the worst.