Poison Ivy keeps her opponents away with powerful tools and traps, but has some handy tricks for up-close combat - here's the breakdown recap

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • April 20, 2017 at 4:29 p.m. PDT

Today we saw the NetherRealm Studios crew breakdown three more Injustice 2 characters during the Watchtower stream. If you missed the stream, allow us to give you the recap starting with Poison Ivy.

NRS explained that Ivy is a character that wants to keep her opponent at a distance. She has several tools that knock her foe back and keep them locked down once they're in an ideal spot.

Before we get into her moves, here's a look at Poison Ivy's super.

Click images to view the clips

Keep away:

Baseline Ivy has a handful of powerful tools to zone the opponent out. Her upward drill is incredibly strong, tracking the opponent wherever they are on screen and knocking them further back. When meter-burned, a second drill will connect and pop the opponent up for a follow up combo.

She also has a whip-like weapon that allows her to hit from a distance. This can attack straight horizontally, hit low, and be used as a multi-hitting attack when meter-burned for extra lockdown and chip damage.

Ivy also has a nice trap for those who manage to power through her ranged attacks. Her ground roots bring forth a bed of thorns that deal damage to any opponent who dares stand in them.

Close quarters:

When Ivy is up close, she can press opponents with her kiss, which acts as a true throw. The meter-burn version causes a stun state that allows her to perform a follow up combo or attack.

Bark Skin also helps Ivy stay alive. This reduces her damage intake, allowing her to withstand offensive onslaughts better or perform better in a projectile war.

"Pukey":

Nightshade, also known as "Pukey," is Ivy's plant pet. Acting as her character power, Nightshade spits projectiles that track the opponent's place on screen and can help create mix ups, improve zoning, and more.

Abilities:

Lastly, here's a look at just one of the potential loadouts you can equip Ivy with. Featured here is her thorny coat ability which deals damage over time to the opponent whenever she is close to them.

You can find the full Watchtower archive over on NetherRealm's Twitch channel.

Comments

XykesUnderOath said on April 20, 2017 at 4:39 p.m.

Can't wait to see what this game end up like.

Hope they don't implement too many changes too quickly (unless needed)

The_Comedian said on April 20, 2017 at 4:44 p.m.

I love Injustice but I'm having trouble getting excited for Injustice 2. I don't like the look of the fighters. Maybe if they put my mains (Martian Manhunter and Raven) into Injustice 2, I'll be interested.

RandomSelectMaster said on April 20, 2017 at 5:23 p.m.

Still debating about this game. I may just try it... via RedBox rental before making a decision of getting the game, let's see.

kmurdock said on April 20, 2017 at 5:23 p.m.

I agree... I'm so torn. Some of I2 looks excellent (swamp thing, dr. fate, stages, changes to returning characters). But then there's like a dozen veterans missing and the pre-release DLC bundle for $100. I've pretty much committed to waiting a year or so for an eventual GOTY bundle.

XxAngelChunLixX said on April 20, 2017 at 5:24 p.m.

Is it me or do most of these character playstyle descriptions sound the same.

"X has very good zoning tools/excels at zoning, but also has a few options up close".

Maybe I'm bugging the hell out, but it feels like I read the same thing for the past bunch of releases.

HyperGadoken said on April 20, 2017 at 5:36 p.m.

So she has Shinnoks Rising Pillars and Black's Caltrops AND Reptile's acid spit?

2complicated said on April 20, 2017 at 5:52 p.m.

I'm beyond hype for this game. Between the gear and the shaders, the size of the roster and the graphics.. I'm so rdy. I'm can't wait to literally go ape sh!t on ppl. "Give into Grodd"

MisguidedAngel said on April 20, 2017 at 6:05 p.m.

I think it's just coincidence they they revealed a ton of their zoners around each other lol.

There are about 5 "zoning" characters out of the 28, that all got broken down in pretty close succession. But even then, they all zone incredibly differently.

XxAngelChunLixX said on April 20, 2017 at 6:07 p.m.

That could very well be what it is. It just seemed like a lot of it over the past few batches of reveals.

EXkbow said on April 20, 2017 at 6:42 p.m.

I still dont know about this game dont get me wrong I enjoyed the first injustice but I just cant gethype for this game because Im way more hype for Tekken. Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Robin, and Swamp Thing look dope and I like alot of the newcomers however I am missing Hawk Girl and Nightwing. Anyway I hope the game does well (it will from a sales perspective almost regardless) and maybe down the road when it gets a cheper bundle or something Ill get it.

Pharaoh_Amaranth said on April 20, 2017 at 7:13 p.m.

I concur...about Raven.

bornonamonday said on April 20, 2017 at 7:58 p.m.

Let's see...Deadshot, Poison Ivy, Dr. Fate, Captain Cold, Scarecrow? Do Robin and Supergirl count?

Also seeing that alt gear for Poison Ivy caused "I'm a mean green mother from outer space" to play in my head.

javert said on April 20, 2017 at 9:52 p.m.

Given the usual aspect of NRS females. I'm surprised that Poison Ivy not only is "not bad" but actually HOT.

XxAngelChunLixX said on April 20, 2017 at 9:52 p.m.

Firestorm, Beetle, Cyborg.

Heta said on April 20, 2017 at 10:21 p.m.

I'm counting on you Pukey.

MisguidedAngel said on April 20, 2017 at 10:30 p.m.

Beetle isn't really zoney at all, he's hit and run (all he has is a duckable projectile that isn't anywhere as fast as the other zoners projectiles) and we haven't seen Cyborg. All we know is he has a new trait, and that he sucked at zoning in the first game (and at everything else)

lajn said on April 20, 2017 at 11:10 p.m.

It's because Ivy, Firestorm, Cap. Cold, Scarecrow, Dr. Fate are all new.

XxAngelChunLixX said on April 20, 2017 at 11:13 p.m.

I see. Well, we have less than a month, I just hope you're right. And I can't see Cyborg being anything different. But I have my mains regardless.

@17 that makes sense.

lajn said on April 21, 2017 at 1:27 a.m.

I think it's great to have so many zoners. It's going to be a blast fireball spamming through story mode and earning the best gear to make your zoning completely broken.

It helps that all of the new zoner characters I listed look cool. There's something for everybody: Guns, ice, normals-focused, literal fireballs, magic, and now Ivy. I can't think of another fighting game developer that allows as much focus on zoning.

GenSoHotSpicy said on April 21, 2017 at 3:14 a.m.

I've been a Cyborg main since the first game released in 2013 and I must inform you that he is not a zoner. Yes he has ground and air projectiles and a great deal of people played him solely to spam IAFBs, but those people had no friggin' clue how to play him correctly.

Cyborg is a set-up character, via his laser-guided missiles, with great mobility, some of the fastest pressure strings in the game and deals insane amounts of damage in close range, especially when his opponent is in the corner. His d1 is the fastest normal in the game andcombining it with his Sonic disruptor whifh is plus on block makes him one of the better rushdown characters in the entire roster. He builds meter much quicker on the ground than he does IAFBing, and is easily zoned out by characters like Sinestro, Joker and Deathstroke.

GenHanTen said on April 21, 2017 at 4:42 a.m.

Suddenly Seymour!!!!

kernelticks said on April 21, 2017 at 12:59 p.m.

NO DOOMSDAY NO BUY!!!!