Has Injustice 2 gone gold on Mortal Kombat 9's six year anniversary? Ed Boon's new Twitter icon and banner leads us to believe as much

Posted by Justin 'AdaptiveTrigger' Gordon • April 19, 2017 at 5:37 p.m. PDT

Let's recall back to a time before Mortal Kombat X was released. Specifically, a month before its official release date.

Remember when Ed Boon changed his Twitter icon to be the icon of Mortal Kombat X, but gold? This was likely to signify that the game went gold during this time.

Well, looks like Ed Boon has done this again. His Twitter icon and banner seems to indicate that Injustice 2 has now gone gold, coincidentally on the six year anniversary of Mortal Kombat 9's release.

Click image for Tweet

Injustice 2 will be released on May 16, 2017. That's less than a month away at this point so the timing makes perfect sense.

With nine DLC characters on the way, NeatherRealm Studios is likely now working on DLC.

Ed Boon's Twitter. Sent in by: SqueakyBloom and Salarian.

Comments

masquedmonk said on April 19, 2017 at 5:55 p.m.

Looking forward to Injustice 2. Wishing Boon and company all the best.

XxAngelChunLixX said on April 19, 2017 at 6:10 p.m.

Not to be rude, but.....what's the news? Maybe that Thursday is gonna be Catwoman, Ivy, gun guy..?

JTCircus said on April 19, 2017 at 6:14 p.m.

The game is officially done and they are moving into the distribution phase.

Idk about you guys but...
I'M HYPEEEEEEEEEEE

AkumaMishima said on April 19, 2017 at 6:18 p.m.

It's good to see this lest there be rumors of a delay. When you hear it's gone gold, you have the guarantee that everything is smoothly set for launch. It's nothing hype, but its still news I want to know about.

Tassadar said on April 19, 2017 at 6:22 p.m.

And we still have a character reveal next week. Really hope for just the one character, the leak list is wrong, and it isn't Joker.

RWA_Announcer said on April 19, 2017 at 6:24 p.m.

His name is Deadshot, but yeah, those are the three characters getting a breakdown on the Watchtower tomorrow, along with the final Shattered Alliances trailer, featuring Brainiac, also dropping.

sku said on April 19, 2017 at 6:32 p.m.

I'm happy for Mr. Boon and all the NRS team and I wish them all a smooth launch but The Riddler he is NOT.

Peculiarly_Natural said on April 19, 2017 at 6:34 p.m.

I always think of music sales when someone throws out the phrase, "gone gold",meaning sold over 500,000 units whether it's an album or single.I see now in relation to videogames,it basically means development done & ready to ship to distributors.Best of luck to NetherRealm Studios & Injustice 2.

XxAngelChunLixX said on April 19, 2017 at 6:35 p.m.

&@#4, Fair enough. 😕

RWA_Announcer said on April 19, 2017 at 6:51 p.m.

Who are you hoping might be in his place?

GenSoHotSpicy said on April 19, 2017 at 7:22 p.m.

Up to this point the leak list has been 100% accurate so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Joker is most definitely in the game. Why wouldn't NRS include the most famous DC villain of all time?

Galletano said on April 19, 2017 at 7:34 p.m.

One of the most famous fictional villains in the history of the world. He is up there with Dracula(vampire) and Darth Vader. His is defenetly in.

MisguidedAngel said on April 19, 2017 at 7:39 p.m.

Joker is in. The only question now is if the base roster gets 1 or 2 extra characters we don't know about.

The next character reveal is on 4/28. Which is like a month after the last reveal. They haven't done a character reveal on a Friday yet either. 428 is also the issue of Batman where Jason Todd died. We'll get Joker reveal on the 28th as well as at least see three of the DLC characters. (The MKX dlc were revealed around two weeks before MKX came out as well so the timing makes sense)

bornonamonday said on April 19, 2017 at 7:56 p.m.

Honestly anyone. I'd take Ra's, Necron, Kalibak, Doomsday, Mirror Master, King Shark even Doctor Psycho before Joker again.

Tassadar said on April 19, 2017 at 8:08 p.m.

Honestly? Just about anyone. I'd love for it to be a complete surprise that's out of left field. I've gotten really tired of the character due to his appearance in so many games and films recently. I get that he's one of the biggest comic characters of all time, and that he's the most popular Batman villain, but he tends to steal the spotlight from characters that deserve it more.

xShonuffx said on April 19, 2017 at 8:14 p.m.

I was quickly reading the title and read Ed Boons twitter account banned.

Don't ask.

Tassadar said on April 19, 2017 at 8:17 p.m.

He was essentially the main villain in all four of those Arkham games, even in Knight, where his character shouldn't even be relevant to the story at all.

Also, I was excited for that game because Scarecrow, my favorite Batman villain, was finally going to become the main focus of an Arkham game. Then, he takes a backseat to a hallucination of another character.

To me, there are far more interesting villains in the Batman lineup that, if given the same amount of recognition as The Joker, people would probably be more receptive to. He's the one be all, end all that gets pushed though, in every single franchise that he gets put into. I really wish NetherRealm would follow through with his death in the first game and just move past it. We already have Harley Quinn, along with Poison Ivy, Catwoman, Robin, Deadshot, Scarecrow, Bane, and Mr. Freeze as a skin for Captain Cold. Aside from his death, we really don't need yet another Batman villain in the game when other villains could be represented in the game.

xShonuffx said on April 19, 2017 at 8:19 p.m.
Tekkenator said on April 19, 2017 at 8:21 p.m.

Half-expected another Goldmember or a KFC gold banner lol.

Owlflame said on April 19, 2017 at 8:21 p.m.

It's a conspiracy! QUESTION INBOuND!

bornonamonday said on April 19, 2017 at 8:23 p.m.

At least Scarecrow got more badass moments than Strange did in Arkham City, and unleashed far more destruction than Joker ever did in 4 games. I'm still mad about how Strange got completely wasted.

Tassadar said on April 19, 2017 at 8:26 p.m.

Aquaman could have Black Manta (another of my favorite DC villains) to rival, or Ocean Master. There could be another Superman villain with Metallo, or Parasite. I agree with bornonamonday about Necron, Kalibak, Mirror Master, and King Shark. Etrigan could work.

Point is, I believe, above all else, that they explored what The Joker could do in a fighting game in the first Injustice. I don't believe there's much else to work with regarding that character in terms of fighting game capability. I could be wrong, and I'll probably be proven wrong, it's just how I feel. I'm sure that little disappointment in the roster will be rectified by the DLC.

Tassadar said on April 19, 2017 at 8:29 p.m.

I should have stated that bothered me as well. They build up Hugo Strange to be the main villain, the primary antagonist that Bruce Wayne has to overcome, and then nope, he's just completely thrown under the bus in favor of Joker again. I was glad that the ending went down the way it did, because I thought that the next game would move on without the character. Nope, that was a prequel, and the big push for Black Mask went nowhere. The formula was repeated with Arkham Knight. I'm sure if a fifth game comes out, the same thing will happen.

bornonamonday said on April 19, 2017 at 8:36 p.m.

If the rumors about this arkham insurrection game are true then yeah, we're going to see another prequel with the Court of Owls and way too much Joker. I'm already dreading I2's story is going to have him somehow punk Brainiac and Darkseid too.

HyperGadoken said on April 19, 2017 at 8:40 p.m.

Come on, everyone knows this is just the teaser for

Injustice 2: Gold Edition which is coming out a year from now.

AdaptiveTrigger said on April 19, 2017 at 9:56 p.m.

I considered doing a KFC banner, but I wanted to show my readers the banner and icon that Ed Boon was using.

DOOMZDAYTiME said on April 20, 2017 at 2:57 a.m.

NRS is like, we announced a date and we do it. Capcom is like, we got a patch in 2 months, late april, no more in april

GenHanTen said on April 20, 2017 at 5:30 a.m.

Not too late!

AngriestAngryArtist said on April 20, 2017 at 9:44 a.m.

NRS is like "OH HEY JUST BECAUSE WE MAKING I2 MKX IS STILL BEING SUPPORTED THOUGH"

Owlflame said on April 20, 2017 at 10:52 a.m.

That's not a bad thing.

AngriestAngryArtist said on April 21, 2017 at 10:12 a.m.

The act of making KP3 isn't a bad thing. But the lack of communication about KP3 is a bad thing.

Because everyone else barks at Capcom about communication, but when another big name dev does it. OHHHH it's ok, they have 40 plus characters douH!