CFN update, balance changes, and next Season 2 DLC character release delayed - success of recent beta test has Capcom looking into another

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • April 19, 2017 at 8:24 a.m. PDT

Capcom has just released another Capcom Unity blog post, this time sharing details on the current state of Street Fighter 5's upcoming content.

As many know, Capcom is currently working on improving the Capcom Fighters Network, making it more robust for an overall better user experience. The blog notes that the first PC beta test was successful and has helped the company make more optimizations.

"We are happy to announce the test has allowed us to make further adjustments to optimize the new CFN," the blog reads. "We know you’re all very eager for the new CFN but we also want to ensure it meets all of our expectations before it officially launches.

"In order to help us get the new CFN to where it needs to be, we are looking into conducting an additional Beta Test soon. In case you missed what the new CFN entails, check out our previous blogpost here."

Originally, the next set of balance changes and the latest season 2 DLC character were scheduled for release at the end of April alongside the CFN update. Since they were designed under the new CFN infrastructure and the CFN isn't quite ready yet, this means we will be seeing a delay in the release of the aforementioned content.

Much like the first beta test, the next one will allow current and new players to participate for free. It will feature all of the current playable characters, as well as the next DLC fighter, whose identity will be revealed soon. More information on the next beta test is expected in the coming weeks.

Capcom also makes mention of more, currently unannounced content that is set for the end of April.

Source: Capcom Unity. Sent in by BLACK_PHOENIX3, Hansel_G, Gamogo, IcyKnee, and an anonymous reader.

Comments

Afterburn said on April 19, 2017 at 8:25 a.m.

This game...

ChaosxPaladin said on April 19, 2017 at 8:27 a.m.

I feel really conflicted about this. I want those Nash buffs now! But knowing who the next character is is nice.

WhiteBeard said on April 19, 2017 at 8:27 a.m.

Good. I would rather the new CFN update works properly before it is rushed to release. Otherwise we will have eventscrubs complaining that "OMGGG NEW CFNZZZZ GARBAAGE".

Kumageri said on April 19, 2017 at 8:27 a.m.

Well, that means me coming back to playing this game has been delayed too. Though I was not looking forward to this patch after seeing what they have done to Chun to make her less sh1t tier (nothing at all). I'll begin to patiently wait for season 3 I guess.

Chewbahkah said on April 19, 2017 at 8:27 a.m.

Not mad about the delay itself. I'm mad thst they waited this long to say something, how is this professional?

Lucks said on April 19, 2017 at 8:27 a.m.

If they release things too rushed, people complain. And if they take their time, they also complain......

Evorgleb said on April 19, 2017 at 8:28 a.m.

well, at least they are communicating.

Heta said on April 19, 2017 at 8:28 a.m.

Aww. Meh not surprised and if I can survive T7 5 month delay then I can survive this.

Redskarr said on April 19, 2017 at 8:30 a.m.

Transparency?

SFViper said on April 19, 2017 at 8:30 a.m.

I am not surprised at all by this news...

Doopliss said on April 19, 2017 at 8:30 a.m.

Y'know Capcom, it's hard to make a hype day 1 combo video if you keep giving people access to OP beta versions of characters :S

CODYYY said on April 19, 2017 at 8:30 a.m.

good... balrog, laura and gief need re-evaluated.

give ryu his joudan from 2S too dammit!

Lets not get pissed off people, imagine if they released this patch and nothing worked. I say release it when its working. They are working on it and that is good to know

CODYYY said on April 19, 2017 at 8:31 a.m.

you think they can click their fingers and have it complete? come on...

delamarche said on April 19, 2017 at 8:31 a.m.

It's cool that the beta will have the new DLC character for free.

pip25 said on April 19, 2017 at 8:31 a.m.

What they mean by "we are happy to announce the test has allowed us to make further adjustments to optimize the new CFN" is actually "unfortunately the new CFN did not prove to be as rock solid as we had hoped, so we still have quite a bit of work ahead of us".

At least they want to get it right this time instead of releasing something half-finished...

KingKazma said on April 19, 2017 at 8:32 a.m.

When's Sagat coming out?

MrThirdWheel said on April 19, 2017 at 8:32 a.m.

Of course, should have known the character was going to be delayed. Hopefully the new CFN will be worth the delay, as I only saw one feature that they mentioned that I need asap; a block list.
(I seem to keep matching up with a player that AFKs spamming LK)

pickboy97 said on April 19, 2017 at 8:32 a.m.

my PC can't handle this beta :(
#feelsbadman

GamerBear said on April 19, 2017 at 8:33 a.m.

I'd rather they iron things out properly before releasing them, the wait is just less of a hassle for me.

Rahab430 said on April 19, 2017 at 8:33 a.m.

The only thing I expect out of this is that they do a good job.

MrNobody said on April 19, 2017 at 8:34 a.m.

Capcom pls...how much delayed Capcom? HOW MUCH?!?

Takamura13 said on April 19, 2017 at 8:34 a.m.

Capcom delaying so the disappointment in this game will hit whats left of its players extra hard.

BMTrajan said on April 19, 2017 at 8:34 a.m.

But what about Hillary's emails?

SFViper said on April 19, 2017 at 8:34 a.m.

Nothing new. They did the same thing with Ibuki's reveal/release

Xar5000 said on April 19, 2017 at 8:35 a.m.

I can deal with the delay for a more better experience.

DK_ALEX_DK said on April 19, 2017 at 8:37 a.m.

Excellent choice. I'd take a delay over people b***hing (Which sadly will still happen, but oh well)

Galletano said on April 19, 2017 at 8:37 a.m.

Ok whatever take your time or don't its up to you Guys.

Aluppoj said on April 19, 2017 at 8:38 a.m.

That's fine. Take your time and get it right.

That's what everyone wanted. Transparency and Quality.

enkil said on April 19, 2017 at 8:39 a.m.

Take your time guys. Get it right. Haste makes waste. A big chunk of your staff is probably working on Infinite. I'll pray for the stressed out souls that have to repair this rushed product.

SSfox said on April 19, 2017 at 8:41 a.m.

Infiltration will whine again lol

ZaFuuru said on April 19, 2017 at 8:42 a.m.

They should buff low tiers more, and nerf Balrog and other tops. Who cares about CFN when the game is unbalanced.

Xykes said on April 19, 2017 at 8:42 a.m.

How is it "professional" to say a game will be released "Early 2017", and then during "Early 2017" announce that it will be released June 2nd?

Video game suff gets delayed. Welcome to video games. Happens ALL THE TIME.

If it leads to a better game in the end, then so be it.

Y'all can't whine about SF5 being "rushed", then get mad when they decide to take their time improving the game. If you do, then you'll understand why the game was supposedly "rushed" in the first place.

streetfighterjoe said on April 19, 2017 at 8:44 a.m.

My hype level 0

RegalBlack said on April 19, 2017 at 8:44 a.m.

If they're adding more adjustments to the balance update then I can't complain.
Hopefully it's for the better.

Realdarkphoenix said on April 19, 2017 at 8:45 a.m.

This is not how you handle PR capcom.

You don't wait until 6 days before a release that promises a fix to announce a delay.

Especially when the day before you dropped info on paid products, which from the sounds of it will still be ready for purchase on the 25th....smh

malcrash01 said on April 19, 2017 at 8:46 a.m.

Better prepare for the Laura nerfs!

ScoobieisDope said on April 19, 2017 at 8:47 a.m.

I played against that same guy too! lol He played Akuma, right?
Well, he got me free exp (it was casual battle.)

Xagni said on April 19, 2017 at 8:47 a.m.

I like it - take your time. This is groundwork being laid for years to come.

SF91er said on April 19, 2017 at 8:48 a.m.

Yeah...go ahead and revisit that whole "balance change" thing.

Sir_Kenjamin said on April 19, 2017 at 8:49 a.m.

I would really appreciate the CFN buffs. Playing my friend who lives in PA has been hell, the frames skip and him using cammy is making me like him and this game less and less each passing day.

Shrooms00087 said on April 19, 2017 at 8:51 a.m.

Bah just give me Ryu's new crouch strong punch. The other one looks wonky now.

cjguigni said on April 19, 2017 at 8:51 a.m.

This comment section is being way more rational than I expected.

CityHunter said on April 19, 2017 at 8:51 a.m.

Its good. Next weekends there is a premier event and it would have been pretty dumb to have the patch drop 4 days before it. Honestly I dont see the problem its not like its the end of the month or something like that.

KingKong said on April 19, 2017 at 8:51 a.m.

"We are happy to announce the test has allowed us to make further adjustments to optimize the new CFN"
Cool story bro, you're still one year late...

PiiKhay said on April 19, 2017 at 8:54 a.m.

Makes sense no? Working on a new character making sure he/she is fleshed out ready to be playable, new balance patches(for most of the roster) and CFN update making sure its all good too. Im okay with this delay, we want nothing bad or bugs to happen right? well for the people who plays the game of course.

sviper14 said on April 19, 2017 at 8:55 a.m.

So guys, let's complain about the delay of the thing I wanted to complain that they should have delayed to be 100% working.....wait a sec...

ClutchHuggins said on April 19, 2017 at 8:56 a.m.

If this allows them to overhaul the netcode system then amen.

KingKong said on April 19, 2017 at 8:56 a.m.

So what? People have the right to complain. We're talking about paying customers. Meanwhile you bunch of apologists are defending Capcom and doing PR for them as if you were on the payroll. This is the reason why the vg industry is in such a sorry state.

Galletano said on April 19, 2017 at 8:57 a.m.

The only ones left are the ones that had the patience for this game and capcom, that or capcom conditioned us to have patince. Whatever works.

djm0001 said on April 19, 2017 at 8:58 a.m.

When are they going to fix DeeJay?

For real though, Arcade Mode w/ car stage PLEASE

Books said on April 19, 2017 at 8:59 a.m.

They should still be releasing art and music and background story info for the next character. Capcom needs to engage its community way more. Follow Blizzard's lead with Overwatch.

pip said on April 19, 2017 at 8:59 a.m.

Hopefully they will add other balance changes to fine tune their 2.1 update and make it more solid (more buffs to Nash, Ryu, Chun Li and Juri, real nerfs to Boxer and maybe Guile at least the removal of his backthrow loop). And better animation for Cammy air throw. She will become the strongest character in the game, she has to look good.

isamu said on April 19, 2017 at 9 a.m.

Capcom don't need a lawyer.

Nothing against delaying things if that helps for a better game experience, but MAYBE make an announcement earlier wouldn't be that bad from them. This happening with other games doesn't mean anything, Capcom didn't delayed announced things before,definitely something has changed.

User5 said on April 19, 2017 at 9 a.m.

Ppl will complain as always but it's a good thing, better to ensure everything is working properly and made further adjustments.

At least they'll reveal the next character and more content will come this month.

I hope they'll make just a few more balance changes and add even more new moves.

ChronoSayo said on April 19, 2017 at 9 a.m.

I'd much rather have it delayed with a proper release than another sloppy release. It's unfortunate, but worth it.

However, if it's still sloppy after being delayed, then I'll gladly distribute the pitchforks.

Shrooms00087 said on April 19, 2017 at 9:02 a.m.

No what happens is you aren't on the payroll. You have nothing personally invested in it aside from a few hours of gaming. As such you will always complain and complain. You've become spoiled babies.

BornFreeEH said on April 19, 2017 at 9:02 a.m.

Damn I wish I could get a Bonchan response for the lulz.

Oh well. This year is a big year.
My hope/dream is that by the end of the year we have a new completely overhauled and amazing UX.

Better to get it right, rather than rush it.
None of it is ideal, at all, but at least they are working on it.

EraserRain said on April 19, 2017 at 9:02 a.m.

Seeing how things are turning out in competitive play the past few months they could be considering more balance changes before they put it out. When top players are playing the same fighters over and over just to win it takes a lot from the game. I've seen more boxers in ranked matches running around the past few months than any other fighter.

They can take there time to get this thing out. It's better that way.

sneakytoes said on April 19, 2017 at 9:03 a.m.

You really should take your time Capcom people are complaining and losing hope. I really want to see a huge update better on-line play, arcade mode, more moves for the whole cast like different CA. I don't care if it takes a whole year if the game is still bad no amount of exposure will help it.

Dry_Irish_Dan said on April 19, 2017 at 9:03 a.m.

Communication is a step in the right direction but still not great. Ok with the delay as long as the CFN is fixed! The net code needs to be better. I have no idea why they would let it go on for this long and have it still be terrible. But man I am never buying a season pass again. At least reveal all the characters so people have something to look forward to! It is ridiculous that we have to wait every other month just for a character reveal. Do something similar to what KoF did! Reveal them all at once! Then release one every other month. I think that would be so much better then the current system.

CityHunter said on April 19, 2017 at 9:05 a.m.

But what do you mean by earlier? As far as I know April 19 is pretty early. Its not like with Ibuki where it was announce at the end of the month that was getting delayed

isamu said on April 19, 2017 at 9:07 a.m.

Reading comments seems some here don't get it, there aren't additional balance changes outside those previously announced. So no stealth nerfs/buffs with the next update.

GenHanTen said on April 19, 2017 at 9:07 a.m.

I would seriously just be happy with no loading and faster transitions...

That_guy_who_plays_DOA said on April 19, 2017 at 9:07 a.m.

I'm interested in your actual opinion. It seems like everytime you reply you have the pick of the litter of complaints that you can counter argue, but you never actually say how you feel.
Do you think the game was rushed out for an early release? If so, do you really think they should have charged 60 dollars instead of say, 40 and then releasing their dlc for future profit?
Thoughts on the delays? Yes delays happen, but this is a recurring theme with Capcom that you're telling people to just quietly accept rather than speak up. They've had transparency issues before (they admitted this) and now on April 19th we're just hearing about more delays? They just had an announcement with the header "More news to come!" Couldn't they have just told us then???
Mind you, I don't personally care that much. I really enjoy following the Pro Tour like a sport, but I play other games.

SchiacciSempre said on April 19, 2017 at 9:07 a.m.

How was the beta a success? The beta had 82% negative reviews on Steam and i personally wasnt able to play a single game cause no one was online at the time.

metaf4 said on April 19, 2017 at 9:08 a.m.

If delays are because they are actually LISTENING to our gripes and trying to actually make changes to address them?!

TAKE ALL THE TIME YOU NEED TO MAKE IT HAPPEN!

HOWEVER....if they take TOO long and then still bring us a flawed and sub par product...It's not gonna look good. It will be very hard to recover the masses and even the Pros that are already on the edge with this game.

DarthJazza said on April 19, 2017 at 9:08 a.m.

Man, I was looking forward to the new CFN but if it needs extra time to smooth out any problems I'm glad they let us know beforehand as opposed to just saying nothing and have it break the game.

Hopefully, they allow training mode while we wait for matches in this new beta so waiting for games isn't as boring. But being able to try the new DLC character in the patch should be fun.

"More, currently unannounced content that is set for the end of April." Please let this be something other than the new trials that were data-mined.

Phtm_Miria said on April 19, 2017 at 9:08 a.m.

Delay sucks, but at least they're actually listening and trying to improve the online for once.

I mean, they could have just went with a "F this" and released the new CFN even if the beta results weren't good. It would have been nice if they used this current philosophy instead of releasing SFV the way it was an year ago, but I guess that nothing can be perfect.

BulletShark said on April 19, 2017 at 9:09 a.m.

Update: Won Won leaked as next character.

pip said on April 19, 2017 at 9:09 a.m.

I played the first beta and I was honestly far from impressed. All I noticed was working statistics and less errors to report wins and losses to the server. And Guile's stage breakable crates. The rest was not much different. As long they don't touch their netcode, online will still feel very awkward, and people will feel disappointed.

I would maybe tolerate the still high input lag if online was perfect thanks to that trick, but we have half baked result on both sides, still too high input lag and one sided rollback. Shake my head.

Let's hope their plan is to first fix CFN in order to prepare the real fix to the netcode. They have to succeed in this, because they have another game in the making, with potential 4 players play. I can only imagine how frustrating would 3 sided lag be in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. Infinite frustration probably...

Doh_Simpson said on April 19, 2017 at 9:10 a.m.

I often wonder if Capcom is still a company or just 8 guys in yoshinori ono's basement. How can an old Company well known around the world be so unprofessional!? This is just another one of those instances where Capcom is just luck to be Capcom because any other company would get heat for this.

There is no transparency, they could've said this in march, they had so much time and yet all they got done was making new costumes and a stage? How!? There are moders that get that done in no time. Is Capcom understaffed? Do they only have 6 people working on SF?

Capcom can easily get people hype for this game if they let us see what they are working on. If Capcom comes out and says "ok here are the new characters coming out for this season, here's what we will improve for this season and how the game will develop. For next season we have this many characters coming in from these iterations etc" people wouldn't have a problem with that.

MisguidedAngel said on April 19, 2017 at 9:11 a.m.

I dunno how anyone could be upset with a delay. The beta was poop.

Make it as good as possible.

The only issue is the closer it releases to Tekken 7 and I2, the more thunder it could lose.

VerminatorX said on April 19, 2017 at 9:11 a.m.

If devs release good game, people praise them. If devs crap into consumers' mouths, they still praise them.

CityHunter said on April 19, 2017 at 9:12 a.m.

Source?

isamu said on April 19, 2017 at 9:13 a.m.

They didn't discovered yesterday about being late with the update, we're more close to the end of the month than the start of April. I don't expect a perfect patch/cfn anyway,after this delay announcement the expectations will become even bigger.

Clamper said on April 19, 2017 at 9:13 a.m.

Can't these f'ckers do anything right?

dantemundus said on April 19, 2017 at 9:18 a.m.

I don't mind the delay. To echo what others have said, I'd prefer Capcom to get it right rather than rush something out the gate which would require extra resources and time to fix later.

What I do mind is the lack of communication. This, after they acknowledged their communication was piss poor and that they would work to improve it. If you are so intent on an online platform then drown us in information so we know exactly what is coming out and when, and if there are delays then tell us as soon as possible. This kind and length of silence halfway through season 2 is unprofessional and amateurish. FFS Capcom, pull your fingers out of your butts and fix yourselves up.

StarBuster said on April 19, 2017 at 9:19 a.m.

Capcom f*cks up again, what a surprise.

GiBGUN said on April 19, 2017 at 9:22 a.m.

They changed the SFV logo to make it all icy ahead of the Kolin reveal as a little tease...

Are they going to change the SF5 logo to a pair of ugly camo shorts ahead of the Taylor reveal?

Blackoshinomi said on April 19, 2017 at 9:22 a.m.

Bh hahaha !!!!! ^.^

Dacapn said on April 19, 2017 at 9:23 a.m.

I just find it funny that they said the PC beta was a success. I think I got to play 3 or 4 matches total throughout the whole thing.

dugthefreshest said on April 19, 2017 at 9:24 a.m.

People get new moves, but Ryus Joudan is absent.

Turn punch and standing hk are plus on block.... C. Mk xx hadouken is negative.

Great work.

BulletShark said on April 19, 2017 at 9:24 a.m.
tak86 said on April 19, 2017 at 9:25 a.m.

Honestly I'm not surprised and also won't be surprised if the new CFN drops and still doesn't work properly.

sukurin said on April 19, 2017 at 9:25 a.m.

Beta after official release?? clap clap clap.... good job Capcom.

Phtm_Miria said on April 19, 2017 at 9:26 a.m.

I think that the "success" thing is just Eventhubs' title.
I don't see that term being used in Capcom's blog and the general spin of the update is that they declare that the beta proved that more work was needed and -maybe- there will a second beta too.

Aside from that, anyone giving reviews to betas is a bloody moron that doesn't know what betas are and doesn't know that there was a feedback thread on Steam to signal any problem during that beta.

CityHunter said on April 19, 2017 at 9:26 a.m.

What is your source?

StellarSTLR said on April 19, 2017 at 9:27 a.m.

I hope they allow us to avoid wifi scrubs and lag switchers. A person can dream.

CityHunter said on April 19, 2017 at 9:28 a.m.

They are also stating that more balance changes are in the way... Rip Balrog

malcrash01 said on April 19, 2017 at 9:28 a.m.

I have no issue with the CFN delay now that I think about it. Besides, if they rebalance Laura, work on Zangeif's new moves, and even do something to Cammy (and make sure she is balanced and not to make her even more OP), then I will be happy. Plus, the fact that PC players get a taste of the new DLC character should actually be excited and not complain

LeonX said on April 19, 2017 at 9:28 a.m.
skid5jack said on April 19, 2017 at 9:29 a.m.

I really miss the online experience of SF on the X360. It was so damn good. Remembered the days when they would release SUPER SF4 and remember purchasing it with 10 brand new characters straight off.

The process and communication pre and post SFV has just been diabolical. I really hope they made some cash from Resi 7 cause it feels like they are on a sinking ship at the moment.

BluegrassNutmeg said on April 19, 2017 at 9:30 a.m.

Good and sad.

StarBuster said on April 19, 2017 at 9:31 a.m.

Not as long as they have SFV cuckolds who will tolerate every mistake/delay/lie they make.

Neojaw21 said on April 19, 2017 at 9:31 a.m.

Good things come to those who wait.

I hope Capcom found some imbalances with the new balances and are trying to correct them

Salud!

malcrash01 said on April 19, 2017 at 9:31 a.m.

Resident Evil 7 was actually one of the best selling games on January of this year. Capcom isn't faltering a bit

Spades said on April 19, 2017 at 9:31 a.m.

Haha at all these people:

"Can't they get one thing right?"

Well yes.. They can get one thing right.

Everyone complained about the CFN being lackluster.. That's why they're looking into having another beta test.. So that they can get that one thing right.

Y'know, if you're gonna complain and start asking for things: Can you at least be patient for some answers/updates or um.. i don't know.. Stop assuming every bad thing for SFV without any concrete evidence?

AveMcree said on April 19, 2017 at 9:32 a.m.

Can't wait to see infiltration jump back on the Nash train...

They are about murder balrog 😂 but whatever. At least I finally reached a decent rank in season 1 with him. Haven't played the game since October.

Guess I'll forever be a crappy gold player

thisRalf said on April 19, 2017 at 9:35 a.m.

CFN is not ready for prime time.

Instead of releasing it in a busted form... they opt to delay the release to test the next build.

As incentive, players will be able to participate in the beta, and try the new character.

What is not done right about that? The alternative of releasing it now in a broken state is 'not doing anything right'.

Eye_of_Orochi said on April 19, 2017 at 9:36 a.m.

Can we at least get a trailer for the new character? Should be finished enough to have at least been able to do that for us.

Load more comments