Cross Counter ventures into Super Smash Bros. Melee - The Reads is a new show ft. Scar and Toph, first installment available now

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • April 18, 2017 at 3:06 p.m. PDT

The Cross Counter team has added a new show to their catalog.

Introducing The Reads, a Super Smash Bros. Melee focused program in which Bobby Scar and Toph take to netplay to battle online opponents.

Below is a bit from Cross Counter about the show.

As the Smash Bros Melee online scene begins to take shape, Toph & Scar steal a show format from Gootecks & Mike Ross to help save their best friend Spenser from the evil clutches of his career decisions. In this first chapter of their journey, Team Secret's SilentWolf joins our heroes as they try to fight the ONLINE DUMMIES with INTELLIGENCE, INTEGRITY, and... by predicting their opponent's behavior and punishing appropriately.

You can check out the first episode, for free, over on CrossCounter.tv. Additionally, be sure to check out this giveaway in which you can earn awesome Cross Counter merch, including an Excellent Adventures poster signed by Gootecks and Mike Ross.

Hit the jump to check out the trailer for The Reads.

Source: Cross Counter TV.

Comments

sku said on April 18, 2017 at 3:18 p.m.

I wish them the best of luck with this new endeavor! Might get some people checking out Melee netplay or something, I don't know.

Hakansoilbarrel said on April 18, 2017 at 3:23 p.m.

(FGC overreacts about Smash in 3....)

GiMiX said on April 18, 2017 at 3:27 p.m.

Aganos said on April 18, 2017 at 3:44 p.m.

Actually, the reason for this is because SFV is not bringing in enough subscribers per month, and there was one month where they actually had LOST more subscribers than they gained. SFV simply isn't enough viewership.

grass said on April 18, 2017 at 3:54 p.m.
bagel_bytez said on April 18, 2017 at 4:10 p.m.

New couch, new game, lets go gooootec... I mean, Scar! Btw tophs hair looks like a silhouette of toucan sam at 28:08.

sku said on April 18, 2017 at 4:10 p.m.

Honestly as somebody who's liked XA for a long time they lost me with SFV a little ways in. It just doesn't... work. Somehow. I could definitely see this being the case.

That being said, why they wouldn't go the Smash 4 route is odd to me. Melee's nice and they have a history of great commentators but it doesn't seem like it's the most popular game around at the moment, and if they need the viewers I'd imagine you want to go for what's in season, y'know? That's just me speculating.

gonzalo said on April 18, 2017 at 4:13 p.m.

Yeah I think that sfv online infrastructure took away the magic that this show used to have. Last time I enjoyed was the one with James and lijoe. I hope the new update to Cfn infrastructure would bring back those funny moments that this show gave us.

bagel_bytez said on April 18, 2017 at 8:11 p.m.

Someone made a good point. Due to the cfn thing there's no salty mail after...

CowboyBebopCrew said on April 18, 2017 at 9:13 p.m.

Can someone explain this Melee netplay business? How is this possible? Am I just behind on the times?

Azure_Dauragon said on April 19, 2017 at 5:11 a.m.

After not watching Cross Counter after maybe the 4th SFV episode i mostly welcome this new show,

I loved CC, thought that the last SFIV episodes they did with Smug were damn near perfect.

SFV was missing something, though i never could determine what.

Their salty attitude and all that felt genuine rather than overplayed.

NateMoney said on April 19, 2017 at 7:45 a.m.

Very behind on the times my dude, through the use of a certain version of a program called Dolphin you can play melee netplay almost laglessly. Check out Faster Melee for more answers though :)

_33 said on April 19, 2017 at 9:42 a.m.

If Bobby went to the Excellent Adventures i think it's only right to bring Mike Ross to The Reads.