Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 balance mods: Storm gets dash cancels from lightning attacks, three characters get OTGs

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • April 11, 2017 at 2:40 p.m. PDT

Before the announcement of Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite, fans spent years asking for an update to Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 that adds balance changes into the mix. Though we never saw such a patch, and likely won't ever see one, that hasn't stopped the community from taking matters into their own hands.

E mc recently implemented some PC mods to UMvC3 that add balance changes to a handful of the characters. To start, we see improvements made to Storm, Jill, and Ryu.

For each of these three fighters, their cr. M now works as an OTG allowing them to combo a grounded opponent without the need for assists. Other changes were added, including 25% more damage for Jill and Storm's normals, Storm's ability to dash cancel lightning attacks, and more.

Below is an example combo using Storm's dash cancel buff.

Click image for animated version

To see the mods in action, be sure to hit the jump.

More balance mods are on the way, so be sure to check out e mc to stay updated.

Comments

RandomSelectMaster said on April 11, 2017 at 2:43 p.m.

PC balance mod? Dang, so much you can do on PC... these modders, good stuff

sku said on April 11, 2017 at 2:44 p.m.

Project M(vC)

UncleBibby said on April 11, 2017 at 2:44 p.m.

There should be a full-game mod that subtly rebalances the game based on fan ideas and desires.

meltsy said on April 11, 2017 at 2:47 p.m.

Imagine how much better the game would be today if the PC had a simultaneous release back then.

ThaiSenpai said on April 11, 2017 at 2:49 p.m.

Lightning cancels see like a realistic balance choice. Those OTGS however no. Making her neutral air medium punch thunderbolt OTGS seems more oppropraite

X4N said on April 11, 2017 at 2:51 p.m.

It would be awesome if there was an community agreed upon balance mod and that it was used in tournaments, like Project M was.

Never know, maybe this could see new characters added in even down the road.

TagAnarchy said on April 11, 2017 at 2:53 p.m.

Project Marvel incoming!

Guile4Life said on April 11, 2017 at 2:55 p.m.

cant wait to sell my ps4 and build a pc, pc is the way to go now consoles are so limited now its not even funny

bornonamonday said on April 11, 2017 at 3 p.m.

As a PC gamer I have to warn you that it comes with it's own limitations and headaches, plus not everything comes to PC. Having both is usually the better option, that way you won't miss out on exclusives or have an alternate platform if the pc port is garbage.

XxAngelChunLixX said on April 11, 2017 at 3:02 p.m.

Do Vergil and Doom get taken out of the game?

Do Chun-Li and Jill finally do damage warranted by their execution?

Does Trish finally have a self-otg?

Does Iron Fist's launcher hit airborne opponents?

Does Morrigan no longer gain meter during Astral?

Was Hsien-Ko finally given her actual movement? Like from the game she came from?

Was Nemmy's lvl 3 fixed to not be mediocre af?

Were She-Hulk and Tron fixed and buffed from their over-nerfs in Ultimate?

I'm sorry....I just really wish we got one more balance patch...

Storm cr.M being able to OTG is beautiful though.

OhYouDontSayThat said on April 11, 2017 at 3:09 p.m.

Give Chris a boulder move! lol jk

DaveNotti said on April 11, 2017 at 3:15 p.m.
ParabolaBeam said on April 11, 2017 at 3:19 p.m.

Exactly what I was thinking.

There would be years and years of mods.

KingKong said on April 11, 2017 at 4:20 p.m.

That's nice, I wish the whole community would get together and come up witha definitive balance patch.

Anyway, what about MvCi? Is it still a real game or has it become vaporware at this point, just like TxSF???

BlackHart said on April 11, 2017 at 4:28 p.m.

Project Marvel???

Dbarcelona said on April 11, 2017 at 4:29 p.m.

they brought back red storm alt form vanilla nice :)

emc said on April 11, 2017 at 5 p.m.

hey guys, I'm the author of this mod but the real shout outs go to your favorite streamer 645 and the guys on the /r/mvc3 discord for working with me on how to do this.

My goal here is to buff the low tier and keep the top tier alone. Reason being, I don't want top players who run the established teams to feel like suddenly their squad is weaker. If anything, a simple damage nerf or XF nerf is something I would consider but I don't plan on removing lightning loops or sword loops. If I can make weaker characters like Storm a threat, then we could see more unique teams and encourage top players to continue running their own teams to see how the match ups play out.

please visit https://www.reddit.com/r/mahvelmods

as this is our reddit community where you can download our projects. If you're looking for this download, don't worry, I'll have a DL available soon once I feel that these characters are in a comfortable spot and it will be posted on that reddit community first.

Want to help? Are you a top level marvel player? follow me @Game650 and we can chat about your ideas. Thanks for the article EH staff.

Cammystrike said on April 11, 2017 at 5 p.m.

Hsien-ko buffs?

Sir_Kenjamin said on April 11, 2017 at 5:34 p.m.

It's up to you and you alone~

halodork said on April 11, 2017 at 6:02 p.m.

You guys are doing God's work. I hope EH feels it worth while to continue posting the progress that modders make towards a community agreed on balance patch.

dancingmonkay said on April 11, 2017 at 6:15 p.m.

This is awesome...loves the modders. What I'd like to see.

She Hulk
- Give her back vanilla marvel slide
- Make twirl super a ground bounce instead of wall bounce
- somehow make her chariot cancelling a little easier.

Sentinel
- j.H faster,
- Fly less floaty, which leads to...
- Fly cancels!

fawaz said on April 11, 2017 at 7:17 p.m.

Good to see that they are working on the balance, but I'm disappointed that 90% of the time the modders are wasting time and resources on cosmetic mods. I'm not against them but they should set their priorities right.

I requested right after release for adding a leniency in QCF/QCB motion by ignoring the "down" key input. How hard is it to do that? It's a real pain for keyboard players, but they still haven't done anything about it, nor do I have any hope now.

I also asked his guy to add the long version of the intro. He said it will take two days. After that I asked him what happened? He said it's in his "queue" now.

Sometimes I really wish I could do this stuff myself.

revoltriot said on April 11, 2017 at 7:23 p.m.

Yeah. That was my thought when I read the news. Maybe some team out there will have the same idea and we'll see a project like this in the near future.

DragonsClaw said on April 11, 2017 at 7:39 p.m.

Thank you for the jill OTG!

Doctrine_Dark said on April 11, 2017 at 7:55 p.m.

I wish I could really use this Jill.

Great work.

StarOcean_3 said on April 11, 2017 at 8:26 p.m.

Make Trish's cH otg pls, ty.

Rahavic said on April 11, 2017 at 8:40 p.m.

Remove the TAC mechanic as a whole and I think that improves the game dramatically. I'm not even saying this because of infinities I'm saying this because of the no risk high reward factor of the mechanic.

Shinpaisuru said on April 11, 2017 at 8:45 p.m.

Once you able to mod/alter the fundamentals, I have no respect for it and I consider it cheating. I can get behind cosmetics mods, but this is too far.

Quezacoatl said on April 12, 2017 at 12:01 a.m.

It's not like you can just jump online and ruin someone's day with these new tools.

Would love to see a Project Mahvel.

Balrog1984 said on April 12, 2017 at 1:15 a.m.

Yeah good idea, and miss all the great exclusives lol.

Erawan said on April 12, 2017 at 4:07 a.m.

Yo what?! This is awesome! I've never asked for buffs or nerfs before, but I will now - buff She-hulk plz!

dukemagus said on April 12, 2017 at 5:42 a.m.

It's happening

IT'S HAPPENING!

God bless the Modders!

Burning_Typhoon said on April 12, 2017 at 5:48 a.m.

You're not against them, but you insult them by saying it's a waste of time?

A huge pet peeve is when people constantly beg for stuff. If it's not being modded fast enough for you, learn how to do it yourself, or wait.

I have this game on PC and have no issues doing any attacks on keyboard. If you have issues, you're obviously not playing on a mechanical board like you should be.

Smorgasboard said on April 12, 2017 at 10:07 a.m.

Even if Capcom doesn't go after the modders, Marvel will definitely come down on any Project Marvel.

Also, there is no such thing as a community agreed upon list of changes. At best, you have a committee made of respectable MvC players. Even then there will be disagreements. There will never be any consensus on balance ever.

Have fun with mod but don't expect it to show up in any tournaments anytime soon.

Smorgasboard said on April 12, 2017 at 10:18 a.m.

Just some thoughts

1. You already can nerf damage by increasing health and people have certainly tried banning X-factors. Both didn't catch on because it was boring.

2. If you only nerf X-factor level 2 & 3, I can see people almost always popping it at level 1 to guarantee a KO and an incoming mixup mixup.

Anyway, good luck.

fawaz said on April 12, 2017 at 6:36 p.m.

Did you even bother reading my comment? I first praised them that they're working on balance.

I hate repeating myself, so just read again. I was among the very early ones who requested stuff. He promised something but didn't deliver.

As for the key inputs, just because you don't have any issues doesn't mean others won't too. Modern games and even SF4 that came before this had this leniency that I asked for built into the game. This game just somehow doesn't and it's already a fast and complicated game, specially for newcomers. Others agreed with my suggestion too, but somehow these modders don't see the importance of it, because of the million color/costume/stage edits they have to do as a priority.

NyuBomber said on April 13, 2017 at 4:23 a.m.

Man.

- The long intro is on YouTube. Your request for it to be added to UMvC3 is a nicety, at best, not anyone's priority or obligation unless you pay. It's their time and energy. And you say this after **complaining about the modders not having their "priorities" right?***

- Your (as in you and other keyboard players') priorities are not everyone's priorities. Your controller of choice is rightfully your choice, but most players are not attempting to play Marvel, of all fighting games, on keyboard, no matter what you want to believe. While it is a good, legit idea, it's just not a reality most players will have to deal with. This leaves it to you and/or other keyboard players to either live with it, or learn how to adjust it yourself (more on this in a bit).

- You are not on the modders' teams or working with them, clearly. You can request stuff, but you do not dictate priorities. If someone wants to rebalance the game, that's their choice. If someone wants to focus on figuring out how to import new skins/textures/models, that's their choice. Sucks that no one has gotten to the keyboard issue (yet), but that's life when you're not paying for anything or putting in the work yourself.

- You wish you could do this yourself? Welcome to the basic instinct of all modders! You probably could learn if you put in the time. Instead, you're here, complaining about an intro (which he **kindly said he's look into, meaning taking more than a moment of his own time and energy away from what he was originally planning to do**), your actually-legitimate-but-niche keyboard issue, and trying to hold it against him. Not a good look.