Disney now 'looking at the video games business exclusively as licensing opportunity' after discontinuing Infinity

Posted by John 'Velociraptor' Guerrero • May 10, 2016 at 4 p.m. PDT

A recent article by James Brightman of Gameindustry informs us that Disney Infinity, Disney's action-adventure sandbox video game, is being discontinued.

The company is no longer a game publisher, but will still be licensing out its properties for others to create games with.

"Disney said that it's now looking at the video games business exclusively as a licensing opportunity, so games based on properties it owns, like Star Wars, are of course still receiving games (such as those from EA), but Disney itself no longer has any interest in publishing them," reports Brightman.

With Disney's acquisition of Marvel rights back in 2009, followed by their announcing they'd be tightening up on licensing policies, many felt this would be the end for the MvC franchise. Indeed many Marvel games were removed from marketplaces in early 2014.

While we're not quite holding our breath just yet, this could extend over to Marvel, and that could mean an eventual revitalization of the Marvel vs. Capcom series.

What do you think this move could mean for the Marvel vs. Capcom franchise? Sound off in the comments below.

Comments

RYU81 said on May 10, 2016 at 4:04 p.m.

deadpool lol ,anyway disney only like to do kids games

CJKenji said on May 10, 2016 at 4:05 p.m.

Not until I get a CvS3 first!

6748 said on May 10, 2016 at 4:06 p.m.

do you think mvc4 will happen?

AriesWarlock said on May 10, 2016 at 4:07 p.m.

Marvel and Capcom, a one on one fighting game, please, you can do it!

real_MAHVEL_god said on May 10, 2016 at 4:09 p.m.

Syirine said on May 10, 2016 at 4:09 p.m.

Neoxon said on May 10, 2016 at 4:10 p.m.

Two issues still remain...

- Is Capcom willing to pay whatever the licensing fee is to renew the Marvel license?
- Would Capcom, or the fans, be okay with the removal of every single X-Men & Fantastic Four character (there's a ban on those characters in new video games made after Contest of Champions)?

And before you guys ask, yes, Deadpool is also banned from appearing in new post-CoC games. Same goes for Wolverine. As for Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch, they're only allowed on a case-by-case basis. Disney does have a positive relationship with Capcom, as shown by DuckTales Remastered still being sold & helping revive the DuckTales franchise (there's a new cartoon coming, next year). On top of that, Marvel still has respect for the Marvel vs. Capcom series (with some references in their cartoons & comics). It's just the two issues above that could hold back another Marvel vs. Capcom game in the near future.

NotOneOfUs said on May 10, 2016 at 4:10 p.m.

As a Deadpool fanboy, I must comment positively on the banner.

real_MAHVEL_god said on May 10, 2016 at 4:11 p.m.

Dbarcelona said on May 10, 2016 at 4:11 p.m.

I know everyone and their mom literally is looking for the vs series but I would actually like some more Disney brand games made by capcom

Heck Goof troop 2 would be GDLK

GiMiX said on May 10, 2016 at 4:12 p.m.

I'm glad that TOY DLC BS model is showing signs of weakness. I can understand the boons of it, tradable low cost figures with in game functionality. But damn that was a cash grab if I've ever seen one.

Just look what that other company has done to Spyro T_T

DemetriusXAztec said on May 10, 2016 at 4:12 p.m.

some one tell max

Schemer16 said on May 10, 2016 at 4:14 p.m.

I wish they did it like xmen vs street fighter but with no super jumping lol 1-1 no teams

Meo177 said on May 10, 2016 at 4:15 p.m.

At this point Disney is hopeless at fighting games, instead of Capcom trying to get license rights for Marvel it should b Disney trying to partner up, after taking marvel like that i wouldn't want capcom to do business with them

enkil said on May 10, 2016 at 4:16 p.m.

The first thing that came to my mind was Jim Carrey saying, "so you're telling me there's a chance." God only knows how many emails I've sent to these folks appealing to their logic, to their greed, to their humanity.
The funny thing is that I don't even play Mahvel, but I know how important it is to my brothers and sisters in the FGC.

Yawdan said on May 10, 2016 at 4:17 p.m.

YO WE NEED TO GET CAPCOM ON THE PHONE REAL QUICK.

We don't even need MVC4, they could just do what they originally planned with Megaman in Ultimate.

Although with the success with Street Fighter V, Pokken getting released, Tekken 7 coming out, the new KOF, Killer Instinct season 3, MKXL and so on, the market may be too saturated to make such an investment in a Marvel/Capcom licensing deal again for the time being, especially considering SFV missed out on it's predicted sales target (but still did incredibly well, especially considering it limited it's release to just two consoles).

zakk219 said on May 10, 2016 at 4:19 p.m.

I saw this news and a new MvC game was the first thing I thought about. Hopefully it happens because then I can finally get rid of my old consoles because the only reason I have them is mostly for UMvC3.

MikaIsCheap said on May 10, 2016 at 4:21 p.m.

"Could".

As a victim of the friendzone, I must comment negatively on the word usage. BibleThump

Ginta36 said on May 10, 2016 at 4:21 p.m.

MARVEL VS SNK!

Yawdan said on May 10, 2016 at 4:22 p.m.

I wouldn't like a 1v1 Marvel vs Capcom fighter. Like, if I did, I would be playing SFV.

I like the 3 character teams, because assists and character selection can balance bad match ups. Good luck as Zangief vs Dhalsim.

Besides, the team element is one of the things that has been unique about the MVC/Capcom series.

Yawdan said on May 10, 2016 at 4:24 p.m.

Best comment ever. lol

masquedmonk said on May 10, 2016 at 4:24 p.m.

Am I the only one who's going to miss those awesome Infinity figures?

But yeah, yay Mahvel...

Sir_Kenjamin said on May 10, 2016 at 4:25 p.m.

With how hard up marvel is with expanding its universe, why not just capcom to do what they did with children of the atom? Strictly a marvel fighting game with the, what seems to be common practice now, a season structure. It would constantly add in new marvel characters due to appear in their movies. If I'm not mistaken, that is what marvel wanted when they were making MvC3, so why not just cut to the chase?

Neoxon said on May 10, 2016 at 4:26 p.m.

Same. The Black Panther & Vision figures in particular were pretty damn sick.

masquedmonk said on May 10, 2016 at 4:26 p.m.

You're a true FGC bro and I respect that ColecoVision avatar.

masquedmonk said on May 10, 2016 at 4:28 p.m.

I need to hit some Best Buys asap.

BlankaBeast said on May 10, 2016 at 4:34 p.m.

Just speculation at this point

Majin_LenOH said on May 10, 2016 at 4:39 p.m.

Capcom already had to hold Sony's pocket just to put out their flagship fighting game ip.

The aint got no money to develop a game far less pay for a licence and make the game.

This applies to CVS3 as well.

DaveNotti said on May 10, 2016 at 4:41 p.m.

#MAHVELLIVES

BustahWulff said on May 10, 2016 at 4:42 p.m.

Because...

YorKeY said on May 10, 2016 at 4:43 p.m.

I'd rather see UMvC3 get a hugeeeee balance patch, Jill + Shuma free, next gen HD versions (AA, texture filtering, 1080P (including Steam version), and and improved netcode than see MvC4 so soon. Yes SOON, marvel is a game that's suppose to last years, not die in 2014 like it did.

Neoxon said on May 10, 2016 at 4:46 p.m.

Capcom likely can't afford the license right now. And they'd also have to sacrifice the likes of Wolverine, Deadpool, & Doctor Doom, which would piss off the FGC.

AriesWarlock said on May 10, 2016 at 4:46 p.m.

That's what I mean. But I would also like a pure Marvel title, no Capcom characters involved. Flesh out more each character.

masquedmonk said on May 10, 2016 at 4:46 p.m.

Maybe they could start by reinstating UMvC3 and letting Capcom patch that mess, lol. Yes, #31!

ScrubStep said on May 10, 2016 at 4:48 p.m.

Reality is they're gonna demand a RIDICULOUS cut and sales requirements with their marvel ip's especially, and we know how capcom isnt gonna be ok with that kind of bottom line takeout.

masquedmonk said on May 10, 2016 at 4:50 p.m.

Would Marvel really do that for games, though? All those characters appear in every other Marvel licensed game right now. It's more of a 50/50 there, I'd think.

Neoxon said on May 10, 2016 at 4:52 p.m.

After the release of Contest of Champions (the mobile Injustice copy-cat made by Kablam), Marvel Entertainment issued a video game ban on all X-Men & Fantastic Four characters for any new games made after Contest of Champions in an attempt to screw over Fox & minimize exposure for both franchises. Remasters & ports of older games are safe (see the Deadpool remaster), as are games with active contracts signed before the ban (see Marvel Heroes, which is safe until 2019). Quicksilver & Scarlet Witch in particular are only allowed by Marvel on a case-by-case basis (see Lego Avengers), but the game cannot mention either of their ties to the X-Men franchise.

AriesWarlock said on May 10, 2016 at 4:52 p.m.

That's fine. To me, MVC, fun as it was, does not represent what I want to see from a fighting game with Marvel characters.

Professor_Icepick said on May 10, 2016 at 4:53 p.m.

I'd almost like to see Marvel weigh some other options. I mean, MvC4 could be cool, but with SNK attempting a return to form and Arc System Works making a full-blown transition to 3D, I'd almost like to see a new take on the Marvel fighting game.

Having said that, I'm totally onboard with a UMvC3 HD on modern consoles and Steam. Especially if they beef up the netcode.

masquedmonk said on May 10, 2016 at 4:55 p.m.

Well...Black Panther makes a great stand in for Wolverine, I'd say!

Neoxon said on May 10, 2016 at 4:56 p.m.

But Capcom has proven to have a genuine love for the Marvel cast of characters, & on occasion even does more justice to certain Marvel characters than even Marvel themselves sometimes (*looks at Marvel Animation & certain comics*).

JiFoJoka said on May 10, 2016 at 4:57 p.m.

Imagine if they decided Disney vs Capcom - let's go team Wolverine-Mickey-Vader

Neoxon said on May 10, 2016 at 4:57 p.m.

As stated before, Wolverine is banned from appearing in any game made after Contest of Champions.

Neoxon said on May 10, 2016 at 4:58 p.m.

You wouldn't be wrong, my friend.

Cakie said on May 10, 2016 at 5 p.m.

I can't wait for Servbot (Legends) and Servbot (Rockman Dash) to be confirmed! Kappa

BustahWulff said on May 10, 2016 at 5:02 p.m.

Oh...Well, is there any hope for a Capcom Vs. Sega game then?

Professor_Icepick said on May 10, 2016 at 5:02 p.m.

I mean, I don't have an issue with Capcom's take on the Marvel universe. I just think it'd be interesting to see another company's take on it.

Of course, I guess there's the chance it could end up like Data East's Avengers in Galactic Storm:

But you never know.

theshredder39 said on May 10, 2016 at 5:10 p.m.

As much as I'd be down with another MVC, this news makes me more excited at the possibility of Marvel lending their lecenses to Activision again to get Platinum Games to make some awesome Marvel action games.

iiii said on May 10, 2016 at 5:14 p.m.

When's MAHVEL?

Kijui said on May 10, 2016 at 5:18 p.m.

Have you ever noticed that all Mickey Mouse Games are freaking amazing? Why wold they stop that train? Literally every single Mickey Mouse game is amazing (sometimes it depends on the port, but I've not come across one that was terrible)

Jaded_Buddha said on May 10, 2016 at 5:28 p.m.

If it does get made, can the shadows not be so dark...

And yeah CvS3 1st please

Yuru_Juri said on May 10, 2016 at 5:31 p.m.

BlitzN said on May 10, 2016 at 5:33 p.m.

MvC4... Why not just a marvel fighter... It would sell way better then SF or anything capcom characters would be involved with.

Maybe even the sf5 engine which is not that high of a skill basement. Even easier maybe 4 attacks and 2 supers on the buttons maybe.

DJ_wHonda_ft_DJ_Slaps_MTL said on May 10, 2016 at 5:36 p.m.

we need PROFESSOR X as a PLAYABLE CHARACTER WITH HIS WHEELCHAIR

Neoxon said on May 10, 2016 at 5:42 p.m.

As stated before, all X-Men & Fantastic Four characters are banned by Marvel from appearing in any games made after Contest of Champions.

DJ_wHonda_ft_DJ_Slaps_MTL said on May 10, 2016 at 5:47 p.m.

argh that's bulsh*t :(

Deathdeliverer said on May 10, 2016 at 5:55 p.m.

As insane and fun as the MVC chip battles were over the years, I'd be more interested in a DC vs capcom. Erase the injustice gameplay out your head and simple think Marvel style. The only problem to me is that DC characters are a lot darker than Marvel. On the same note Wolverine shaking hands with Ryu is ridiculous in itself but it happened in MVC. I'd love to see Batman air combo Ed Falcon from powerstone. Or Deathstroke getting owned by Hayato.

trufenix said on May 10, 2016 at 6:01 p.m.

I look forward to the mvc community rage when Disney loans the license out to someone who makes actual profitable games instead of Capcom.

Doctrine_Dark said on May 10, 2016 at 6:09 p.m.

See, I only knew about the original Avengers game that was in the Arcade.

I had no idea this other game even existed. What in the actual...?

I'd be down for a Marvel Vs Capcom 4, Marvel Super Heroes 2, or anything really.

fawaz said on May 10, 2016 at 6:28 p.m.

At least, they should consider a PC release for MvC3.

halodork said on May 10, 2016 at 6:31 p.m.

What specific references has Marvel made to MvC? Sounds like something worth seeing.

Also, great banner as always EH.

ShinPeppaPig2015 said on May 10, 2016 at 6:35 p.m.

Capcom vs MEHvel. All the main characters are banned.

kaka said on May 10, 2016 at 6:36 p.m.

does it have to be marvel? so far, the marvel licensing is all over the place with xmen and avengers...i'd like to see capcom vs dc seeing that it's more stable at the moment

CLxJames said on May 10, 2016 at 6:37 p.m.

"the success of SFV"

Are we looking at the same sales figures...?

Strider_Hien said on May 10, 2016 at 6:43 p.m.

Guys.....I'm getting jittery.

This must mean something could be on the horizon for the community.Something big and awesome.;*)

The banner and headline alone can cause heart attacks! *Starts brewing some Chamomile tea*

Majin_LenOH said on May 10, 2016 at 6:45 p.m.

Black wheelchair, black dress, make sure his mama there

Dongood said on May 10, 2016 at 6:53 p.m.

The reason why Capcom can't stand on its own two feet is partly because it uses gimmicks like licensed crossovers a lot of the time.

Capcom would be way better off establishing themselves and their IPs than borrowing others. There was a time when Capcom was actually in a higher financial position than Marvel easily, now they are just a shadow of their former self while Marvel is at a height so high some never dreamed they'd reach.

Capcom should try to sell Capcom.

That said seeing how this is mostly about Marvel and Disney, wish them the best, especially Marvel (they are so GOTLY right now).

falsebound22 said on May 10, 2016 at 7:07 p.m.

The only thing I want know is Marvel vs Capcom: the movie

Neoxon said on May 10, 2016 at 7:08 p.m.

Marvel has...

- Officially given the Marvel vs. Capcom Earth a classification (Earth-30847)
- Did a gag in Ultimate Spider-Man (TV) where the likes of Spider-Man, Hulk, Captain America, & others had their exact MvC stances & moves in a 3-3 fight with some villains.
- Referenced MvC1's Character Selection Screen on a variant cover of Unbeatable Squirrel-Girl

Neoxon said on May 10, 2016 at 7:09 p.m.

DC has no need for Capcom, they have NRS.

DaReal said on May 10, 2016 at 7:21 p.m.

Great Scott!

BlackHart said on May 10, 2016 at 7:25 p.m.

Just give a brotha a Black Panther game by Rocksteady, A sequel to Marvel Super Heroes by Capcom, and a Disgaea style TRPG by Atlus and i'm gravy.

Hassun said on May 10, 2016 at 7:30 p.m.

If they ever make a new one it will either be the movie characters or the incredibly terrible current comic book line and I don't think anyone would be served by either of those.

xShonuffx said on May 10, 2016 at 7:58 p.m.

Just because it made more doesn't mean they can't extend to other platforms and ventures. MKX has a mobile game, Street Fighter IV had one, for better or worst its another form of revenue and Disney and Marvel know how hungry MvC fans are.

To be honest though, I don't want a new MvC mainly because of how difficult updating a game like that for the next 5 to 10 years. If capcom does an exclusive Capcom vs game, nothing won't stop them from fully supporting the game.

GoldMember said on May 10, 2016 at 8:45 p.m.

Marvel vs dc vs capcom please !

TarTurtle said on May 10, 2016 at 8:47 p.m.

might as well make a marvel 4, mvc3 is beyond salvageable

Smorgasboard said on May 10, 2016 at 9:12 p.m.

Marvel will probably want to start a Marvel Games Universe. They kinda have it with their mobile games since they all have similar story lines.

Also, if they are going back into licensing their IP, they'll start with more mainstream titles than a niche one like MvC.

Will it happen? Check back in 2025.

Star_Ocean3 said on May 10, 2016 at 9:41 p.m.

MvC4 would be nice (if Psylocke is in it).

OishiiJusuGames said on May 10, 2016 at 9:47 p.m.

Actually they can appear in a MvC game

The issue is Marvel and Disney want to stick it to Fox for messing up their franchises by giving them the cold shoulder when it comes to Games, Toys and other properties out side of the movies.

Yawdan said on May 10, 2016 at 9:55 p.m.

They expected SFV to sell 2mil, it did 1.4... I guess glass almost full?

halodork said on May 10, 2016 at 10:09 p.m.

That's pretty cool. Going to have to look up that episode of Ultimate Spider-man.

Thanks.

Mr_Bogard said on May 10, 2016 at 10:35 p.m.

Capcom get on this QUICK! Here's what I want.

-PC ports for all of Capcom Marvel games with online multiplayer support especially UMVC3.
-Balance patch for UMVC3, new characters and stages with the new patch, save replay, edition select, online training mode.
-Marvel vs Capcom 4. I mean come on this is so obvious.
-Get Sony or Microsoft to pay for it if you have to like SFV.

This is a no brainier Capcom, especially with the hype of Marvel movies. UMVC3 came out pre Avengers. Post Avengers is when Marvel popularity really sky rocketed.

DrDevice said on May 10, 2016 at 10:44 p.m.

Hulkbuster is the best one imo, need to pick it up soon.

KensouADV said on May 10, 2016 at 11:48 p.m.

"- Used MvC Spider-Man in the Spider-Verse event for a short bit (where the MvC Earth was classified)"
You forgot the part where Slott's OC villain killed the Spider-man of the MvC universe with a perfect:

I just wish the previous MvC games came to the PC.

ImaPlayThis said on May 11, 2016 at 12:44 a.m.

I'd honestly prefer to see a 1on1 marvel fighter with just marvel characters

Dimensional said on May 11, 2016 at 1:47 a.m.

If they announced Psylocke as a playable character I would be super hype and ready for MVC4 but that is not going to happen. Also no X men characters at all would mean I would find it hard to get excited about another game in the series at all (although SonSon would make me take notice).

I echo some of the above statements in that I would prefer a 1v1 fighter next time instead but really if we are talking crossovers I would want to see a CVS3 much much more.

Unless they can get the license to the Xmen characters in particular and make a huge playable cast aka somewhat like what SNK are doing in the new KOF game I dont feel it would be worth making a MVC4 game and honestly if they cant make a MVC4 or CVS3 then their next best bet is Darkstalkers 4 and none of thats going to happen. So I think we are stuck with SFV for the time being.

handsofgod said on May 11, 2016 at 2:46 a.m.

Personally I would like capcom to put out a marvel super hero title, with marvel characters only, with the feel of a mvc engine, have it very different to sfv, as having 2 similar games out at the same time wouldn't make sense and will probably end up splitting the players. So a 2v2 or a 3v3 would be a good start but a 1v1 could work.

But this all boils down to the x-men and fan4 problem. Can't have a fighting game without xmen in it lol but if that could be obtained then let's go capcom!

handsofgod said on May 11, 2016 at 2:50 a.m.

Or put out mvc4, re-introducing characters from old IP's to the new and old players, such as darkstalkers, rival schools etc.

Then... Work on cvs3 with some Ds and Rs chars.

Then... Work on a new darkstalkers and rival schools as stand alone titles.

Then... lol... put out sf6. I will probably be pretty old and grey by then but life will be complete!

Ichirin said on May 11, 2016 at 4:13 a.m.

Capcom vs disney

GomuJonny said on May 11, 2016 at 4:38 a.m.

It's nice to finally see someone else express this opinion. I've never been a fan of team fighers and only bought UMvC3 simply for the characters.

Marvel Super Heroes 2 would be a dream come true. Return to the 6 button lay out, larger cast, revamped move sets... oh the possibilities.

And honestly, I wouldn't mind if they kept the MvC3 asthestic. Character models weren't the most complex, but I loved the comic book look.

Jay767 said on May 11, 2016 at 5 a.m.

I don't care about seeing a marvel vs capcom 4 the last one was broken trash it was fun to watch but broken trash all the same

Neoxon said on May 11, 2016 at 6:56 a.m.

Nope. DeNA (Marvel Mighty Heroes' developers) did confirm that Marvel has issued a brand-wide ban on X-Men & Fantastic Four characters for all post-CoC games.

Neoxon said on May 11, 2016 at 6:57 a.m.

Why yes, yes you should.

xRELLIKx said on May 11, 2016 at 7:55 a.m.

Dunno how I feel about Capcom's handlings in recent years. Feels like they snub the US pretty much and do Japan, always remember Marvel being a fairly western property.

And then theres licensing conflict with whatever online hero game iirc >_>

OishiiJusuGames said on May 11, 2016 at 8:01 a.m.

A Ban is different for having Licensing Rights.

The ban you're referring to was seen in by there being little to no toys, comics, games, TV shows or commercial endorsements of the Fantastic Four or X-Men. Marvel didn't like the direction Fox was taking their franchise and assets so they cut as much as they could to ensure that it wouldn't ruin their other assets and en-devours.

So if Marvel lifts the Ban they can be added. This is not in the same way that Marvel signed for additional rights to use The Hulk and Spiderman (Owned by Universal and Sony respectfully)

handsofgod said on May 11, 2016 at 8:10 a.m.

I really like this idea too but the game with have to be a lot different than sfv for it to work with capcoms vision, imo.

It would be really cool to get a current gen mvc style game... This is what is missing in the fgc right now but I don't think the game should come out until 2018

handsofgod said on May 11, 2016 at 8:12 a.m.

Does anyone play umvc3 at newbie level on here???? I'm in the UK and want to find someone I can play with but I'm a proper noob at the game. Hit me up if you in the EU on Psn. Thanks

Jookey said on May 11, 2016 at 10:51 a.m.

I'd love to see UMVC3HD on Xbone, PS4, and PC with cross platform play and a steady stream of new characters and yearly balance patches! I know that's a tall order, but it's my fantasy.

Also, a MVC4 without X-Men and Fantastic Four characters would be weird, but I'd still want it.

Almighty_Omega said on May 11, 2016 at 11:58 a.m.

If more people speak up and demand Disney we want more Marvel Vs games, or a Overwatch type of game.

JaredASDFG said on May 11, 2016 at 1:20 p.m.

I need one of DC vs Marvel vs Capcom, just a dream