Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite set to release in latter half of 2017

Posted by John 'Velociraptor' Guerrero • December 27, 2016 at 1:28 p.m. PST

We received first news of Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite just under a month ago at PlayStation Experience. The upcoming addition to the Versus Series will feature a 2v2 fighting format, along with special Infinity Stones to power characters up.

The fighting game community excitedly ate this news up, breaking down the intricacies of the initial game trailer, the first gameplay sequence and footage from early character reveals. We haven't heard much in the way of a release window, until now.

In a recent interview with 4Gamer, Capcom's Tomoaki Ayano gave us some exciting new information on the game's release:

4Gamer: "Do you have any message for our readers, about your ambitions moving into 2017?"

Ayano: "Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite is set to release in the latter half of 2017. But that's not all..."

Ayano continued to talk about the Street Fighter 30th anniversary, which will also be coming in 2017.

"The cornerstone of fighting games themselves, Street Fighter, has its 30th anniversary next year," he said. "We at Capcom are very proud of this memorable occasion. Everyone reading 4Gamer, and anyone who's a Street Fighter fan, get as excited as you're capable of for this upcoming year, and please look forward to it!"

2017 looks to be an incredible year for the FGC as a whole, and we look forward to it with great interest and speculative thoughts.

Translated by our own MajinTenshinhan. Source: 4Gamer.

Comments

CityHunter said on December 27, 2016 at 1:30 p.m.

2017 is gonna be great

ibukisucks said on December 27, 2016 at 1:31 p.m.

so dec 31st 2017

GamerBear said on December 27, 2016 at 1:32 p.m.

So pretty much what we were assuming. Doesn't hurt to have it confirmed. Also people, "in the latter half of 2017" doesn't mean at the start of July, more likely more like November.

Blackoshinomi said on December 27, 2016 at 1:34 p.m.

Thought we knew this already tho .

Travis2310 said on December 27, 2016 at 1:37 p.m.

BumbleBee said on December 27, 2016 at 1:41 p.m.

That was rather obvious. Betting on either mid-fall or early winter. Also, holy sh*t, it felt like we were celebrating 25th anniversary just a couple years ago. Maaan, does time fly.

SlashXanity said on December 27, 2016 at 1:41 p.m.

Yeah 14 characters and 4 season Dlc i sure that is happen.

htownboss23 said on December 27, 2016 at 1:44 p.m.

All I know is ryu better have two transformations his power of nothingness and his satsi no hadu give me that I'll be straight

XxAngelChunLixX said on December 27, 2016 at 1:44 p.m.

Please God you guys take your time. TAKE YOUR TIME.

I mean, I'm a little relieved that it's not a 2019 release or something, but I'm frightened at the same time. Once again, take your timeeeee 😩

GamerDWreck said on December 27, 2016 at 1:46 p.m.

I just hope people understand (unlike the Tekken community) these games take time.

Most big titles are at the pre-alpha stages when they get announced so you'll looking at 10 - 12 months of development time to work on the game (without interruptions). So this game is looking at (at the earliest) a September to November (the latest) release window. I just hope can calm themselves until then (yeah right lol.).

UncleBibby said on December 27, 2016 at 1:47 p.m.

i wonder if the design will be changed at all between now and then... the trailer looked like it was 2 punches and 2 kicks but maybe by the release day it will be 3 punches and 3 kicks...

either way im looking forward to this, even if i will probably suck at it (im better at more neutral-heavy games usually).

Blackoshinomi said on December 27, 2016 at 1:48 p.m.
WaifuFightersII said on December 27, 2016 at 1:50 p.m.

Man, this is such a gamble their pulling, they better have more than 20 characters for both sides. But the most important thing for them to not do is to be like SFV to make the game release faster and WE have to pay for the extra content that should have been in there.

Yeah I'm still pissed that I payed $60 for an empty disk.

xthedeadrisex said on December 27, 2016 at 1:54 p.m.

At this rate it has to be better than 2016.

fawaz said on December 27, 2016 at 2:05 p.m.

Don't set any hopes.

XxAngelChunLixX said on December 27, 2016 at 2:09 p.m.

I don't know what disaster you speak of, but my life (and PS4 library) got a little better that day.

malcrash01 said on December 27, 2016 at 2:10 p.m.

More like close to the release of Thor Ragnarok

BlitzN said on December 27, 2016 at 2:10 p.m.

Man this sucks capcom still hasn't figured it out. Sf5 launch would have been fine IF you just called it early access and waited on a disc release.

If they only learned from killer instinct and released a version for enthusiasts to pay for early access. We should be playing this game by January or February... but don't let modern games release like heroes of the storm and li teach you anything capcom you do you stupidity.

Griever_Lionheart80 said on December 27, 2016 at 2:16 p.m.

Please don't rush this game capcom please, we can wait for a content rich game, close to balanced system as possible, godlike marvel comics level story mode, variety of costumes, arcade mode, online practice mode, challenge mode, special characters intros, awesome supers, big cast, fantastic stages blow us away and amaze the causal audience, they are super important.

FightGamerFight said on December 27, 2016 at 2:17 p.m.

2017 will make fighting games great again

jadeguy said on December 27, 2016 at 2:18 p.m.

They need to take their time with MVCI. I'm not even gonna rush them. The only thing I'm looking forward to is the story mode.

BlackHart said on December 27, 2016 at 2:22 p.m.

when will we get more info and gameplay on the game??? that's the real question

AngriestAngryArtist said on December 27, 2016 at 2:22 p.m.

2018 release date would be ideal. It comes out around the same time as Avengers Infinity Wars.

My guess will be that Marvel will tell Capcom to push it back to 2018 to come out around the same time the movie releases therefore building up more hype.

amrinlong said on December 27, 2016 at 2:22 p.m.

No. More. Infinites.

CharlieKenSon said on December 27, 2016 at 2:26 p.m.

Guess i need not worry about it. I will only click another marvel post when the caption reads
"_____ has joined the roster."

oArnello said on December 27, 2016 at 2:26 p.m.

If only the visuals looked as good as the thumbnail picture. Guess I'll wait and see.

Toomnyusernae said on December 27, 2016 at 2:26 p.m.

Now. Remember people. If the game sucks and you're disappointed with how it came out, return it to get your money back and pick it up when it gets better.

finalthrash said on December 27, 2016 at 2:29 p.m.

heo yeeuh story mode has me sooper hyped for Infinite. Tears Incoming!!! : )

masquedmonk said on December 27, 2016 at 2:33 p.m.

More excited that Ayano is addressing Street Fighter even in a Marvel interview - I hope both series get all the support needed next year.

StarBuster said on December 27, 2016 at 2:49 p.m.

Who would have thought

HooliganComboFTW said on December 27, 2016 at 2:52 p.m.

This feels rushed. Gonna assume no beta either.

KingKong said on December 27, 2016 at 2:52 p.m.

I don't understand why people are asking Capcom to take their time, please don't rush the game, please release it in 2018... As if Capcom were a bunch of helpless infants. Of course Capcom is aware of the SFV launch disaster, and obviously they took that into account.

I for one cannot wait for this game to be released.

XxAngelChunLixX said on December 27, 2016 at 3:01 p.m.

I was thinking the same thing, 2018 seems ideal and more realistic, but if they don't have "delay until 2018 content" planned, what can we do?

masquedmonk said on December 27, 2016 at 3:06 p.m.

It's in the title, too late.

EnglishKidChin said on December 27, 2016 at 3:17 p.m.

Kijui said on December 27, 2016 at 3:21 p.m.

Nah man, they killed Gen... Finally. Can't wait for Dan to return *reads Christmas Ken Costume description* Aww man....

AngriestAngryArtist said on December 27, 2016 at 3:36 p.m.

Well, the announcement did say more SFV content to be announced due to the 30th anniversary.

So far all of SFV's content hasn't had any sort of crazy delays.

AngriestAngryArtist said on December 27, 2016 at 3:36 p.m.

"30th anniversary isn't gonna bring my main back."

Is that what the SOURCE told you? :P

Anakaris said on December 27, 2016 at 3:43 p.m.

I hope the 30th Anniversary roadmap includes a PS4 port of 3rd Srike. That would be nice.

SeriphAngel said on December 27, 2016 at 3:55 p.m.

I say do a Tekken and release in arcades, let people try it out, learn what it wrong, update, then release on consoles. This method has done wonders for video games in the past, even way before the concept of dlc and patching via download.

BluegrassNutmeg said on December 27, 2016 at 3:55 p.m.

Nice! I can be patient. In a moment as real as this it will be out!

I hope the 30th anniversary comment is actually worth getting excited about. I can't help but be veerrry cautiously optimistic.

JosephPBrenner said on December 27, 2016 at 4:16 p.m.

Rahul_S said on December 27, 2016 at 4:17 p.m.

Desperate move I`m not surprised though sfv sales bombed they have to bring out something for 2017 as bunch of new fighting games are coming out.

oArnello said on December 27, 2016 at 4:24 p.m.

An accurate assumption, I had that same feeling as well. Guess we'll have to find out next year.

XxAngelChunLixX said on December 27, 2016 at 4:35 p.m.

Fair point. But if they don't plan on packing the game with enough content to warrant a 2018 release, it is what it is. Like if the game really is finished by the latter of 2017 and everything is decided, why wait until 2018 for no reason? I hope that explains my point clearer.

The movie is not a reason that concerns us nor would it be Capcom's decision.

AngriestAngryArtist said on December 27, 2016 at 4:49 p.m.

The amount of content is going to be debatable. Quantity doesn't always mean quality.

If the overall game is done by late 2017. And they wait until movie week to release it. I think during that span of time they can make extra modes/new cinematics/a few more characters to cram into the game.

Or eh...ya know netcode, because I'm sure people here would froth and the mouth over the quality of that thing.

Since marvel does have a hand in this, they might be hands on the release date as well. Similar to how they're hands on the roster for UMVC3.

Gorehound said on December 27, 2016 at 4:54 p.m.

On that 30th Anniversary of Street Fighter release.....

Just one arcade perfect port of Super Turbo with no control lag problems. That's all I ask!

theshredder39 said on December 27, 2016 at 4:55 p.m.

I'm pretty sure they've been taking their time with the game, there really isn't much of a reason to rush it out unlike MVC3 which was trying to at least come close to the anniversary year.

theshredder39 said on December 27, 2016 at 5:05 p.m.

They must've started working on this game a year or so ago to have it ready at the end of next year. Or at least I hope so.

I also hope that Marvel is letting Capcom take their time with the game cause there could easily be a part of the deal where the game needs to be out before certain movies or something.

XxAngelChunLixX said on December 27, 2016 at 5:14 p.m.

"I think during that span of time they can make extra modes/new cinematics/a few more characters to cram into the game."

Lol this is why I tried to stress "if it's all done". It's very unlikely that once they're done, they decide to throw more in. Majority of times, to my knowledge, when the base game is done, it's done, and already decided on way beforehand, probably as we speak. Any additional content that comes to mind is the DLC. Whether we get any free or not remains to be seen.

However I do agree on netcode and "quantity doesn't equal quality". That's why I said take their time. We don't need a heroes and heralds just because. Focus on and iron out the gameplay, balance (yes balance. Stupid jokes are stupid), the online, and this story we're supposed to be getting.

I'd say quantity does matter with characters, but that's how we end up with people taking advantage and asking for crap like "Evil Ryu, Violent Ken, Orochi Blanka" and stuff. Not necessary.

Of course there's always the factor that these are different teams anyway.

Eternal said on December 27, 2016 at 5:14 p.m.

It certainly can't be worse than 2016.

gklaus19 said on December 27, 2016 at 5:15 p.m.

Say that to casual and game media, if they did things right this game could have been a hit instead we got one of the worst fighting game launch ever.
Hope they learn and only release MvCI when everything is working okay.

Catalysts_Cute_Twin_Sister said on December 27, 2016 at 5:24 p.m.

I HOPE THEY REVEAL 2-4 CHARACTERS EVERY MONTH TO KEEP THE HYPE UP!!!!!!
I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!1111

AngriestAngryArtist said on December 27, 2016 at 5:30 p.m.

Or if they're done what they needed to do in terms of characters/modes etc. They can polish it more. Because I know there's people who demanded Capcom to fix model collision in SFV.

OR worse like you just said, WE"LL MAKE MORE DLC! MWAHAHAHAHHA!! NOw YOU CAN PLAY IRONMAN IN HIS CLASSIC COMIC COSTUME! LOOK YOU CAN EVEN SEE STARK'S EYES THROUGH THE HELMET!

Due to the nature that is MAHVEL...yeah...balance hah! I'll be surprised even if there is a delay we'll get bugs and glitches. It's part of the nature of Mahvel type of games.

I want non adamantium wolverine back :P

As long as they promise to bring in the content and updates similar to SFV, people shouldn't complain. It's good that they stay away from the numbered continuation this time around. So it can be continually supported throughout the years, and updated in terms of visuals if needed.

4kgk2 said on December 27, 2016 at 5:32 p.m.

this game probably launch with about 30 or so character's and a story Mode, arcade mode and one other mode with 6-8 more characters coming as post launch dlc.

BlitzN said on December 27, 2016 at 6:31 p.m.

You know giant bomb made a good point when they named sf5 one of the hottest messes of 2016.

This may lead to sf alpha 4, because the main line game is so toxic as a product now.

StarBuster said on December 27, 2016 at 6:40 p.m.

Later half of 2017 is not rushing it, it's enough. REVII got announced at e3 and will be out in a month, does not look rushed at all, looks quite amazing. And it does not looks that they will turn Square Enix Full Retard Mode on and delay RE7 for no reason. "Hey guyz we delayd FFXV for 2 monts so we cud finish it and you dont have to downlod day1 patch derp derp!!!!" *Game comes out 2 months later with 8gb day1 patch*. Glad I didn't pay sh*t to those degenerates to play their game.

Strider_Hien said on December 27, 2016 at 6:55 p.m.

I would definitely wait for an early 2018 release.

This game needs to be successful for all parties...and I want it that way.
Either way,I hope we get the game we all deserve:fully supported by the whole community and tournaments.

You can do it,Capcom. I still believe....

DrDevice said on December 27, 2016 at 7:11 p.m.

Take your time Capcom, I'm in no rush to drop extra money to buy that day one Mohawk Carol dlc.

XxAngelChunLixX said on December 27, 2016 at 7:28 p.m.

Agreed!👍🏽

Tekkenator said on December 27, 2016 at 7:37 p.m.

Considering how SFV was announced only 14 months from being released aswell (goes without mentioning it's 'fabulous' launch), I'm guessing that with Marvel giving Capcom a hand this time around, it should make things go a lot smoother.
We REALLY don't need this to come out half done and just end up being "another lesson" for Capcom on how to release a solid fighting game in this decade.

AngriestAngryArtist said on December 27, 2016 at 8:16 p.m.

"Hey guyz we delayd FFXV for 2 monts so we cud finish it and you dont have to downlod day1 patch derp derp!!!!" *Game comes out 2 months later with 8gb day1 patch*. Glad I didn't pay sh*t to those degenerates to play their game."

Wow...so SE wanted to fix their game more, and then even when they release a day 1 patch TO MAKE DAMN SURE YOU ENJOY IT with as less hitch as possible you get pissy on them.

Oh man god forbid they're trying to fix sh*t and delay their game.

Madmax77 said on December 28, 2016 at 12:13 a.m.

It's STILL TOO EARLY !!!

CAPCOM MUST DELAY THEIR GAMES TO POLISH THEM !!
We want a complete game, with tons of stuff to unlock (including CHARACTERS!) great solo content, and Vs content...

STOP RUSHING YOUR GAMES : THEY SUCK AT LAUNCH ! (for the past 5 years: RE6, SFV, SFxT...) LEARN FROM YOUR MISTAKES damm#t !

sasukelover12 said on December 28, 2016 at 4:44 a.m.

lol

el_Principe_de_Lety said on December 28, 2016 at 5:48 a.m.

Foreshadowing: MvC Infinite will be the first MvC with no infinites

Pablus888 said on December 28, 2016 at 9:19 a.m.

Yes, please.

Mac_Gargan said on December 28, 2016 at 9:45 a.m.

Is that enough time to add Juggernaut in?

Duketango said on December 28, 2016 at 11:04 a.m.

@35 & #36 C'mon guys it's Akuma. The Raging Demon is full of lies.

tehdevil said on December 29, 2016 at 12:49 a.m.

the two vs two battle is already an excellent news, but if Gouki is in, then I am interested in playing XD