Street Fighter 5's release slated for 'next Spring,' according to Capcom Unity blog post

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • March 6, 2015 at 6:47 p.m. PST

PAX East is taking place this weekend in Boston, Massachusetts, and Capcom will be in attendance promoting their upcoming line up of games.

A Capcom Unity blog post went live today that shows off some of the merchandise you'll be able to pick up if you're able to check out the event in person. The brief message that introduces the Street Fighter 5 merch may have given us a more concrete idea of when we can expect the game to be officially released.

Everyone is fired up for Street Fighter V coming to the PS4 and PC next Spring. Until then, you can sport the official SFV key art T-shirt, which features Ryu in a heroic pose, for $25.

If this is accurate, it looks as though we'll be able to get our hands on Street Fighter 5 in the Spring of 2016.

Source: Capcom Unity. Sent in by caiocr.lins.

DaveNotti said on March 6, 2015 at 6:50 p.m.

That rush order tho...

CO_Siryx said on March 6, 2015 at 6:52 p.m.

USF4 for PS4?

Launch date June 2015?, one month before EVO?

xShonuffx said on March 6, 2015 at 6:56 p.m.

I think I grew a few grey hairs after that announcement.

seabass40 said on March 6, 2015 at 6:56 p.m.

inb4 lots of bugs finding when it's released

David_I said on March 6, 2015 at 6:57 p.m.

I think USF4 on PS4 will be launched days after the Final Round tournament. I could be wrong, though :/

Cutmanjr said on March 6, 2015 at 6:57 p.m.

I really like Ryu's new SFV model, it's infinitely more badass looking than his SFIV one to me.

bwinches said on March 6, 2015 at 7:10 p.m.

You said it. USF4 for PS4 is Capcom's biggest secret ever! We know so little. There is seriously more info out there on SF5 and Deep Down than USF4 for PS4.

Blackoshinomi said on March 6, 2015 at 7:14 p.m.

two2tone said on March 6, 2015 at 7:15 p.m.

They need to do another game stop tournament

nightmaresteam said on March 6, 2015 at 7:16 p.m.

If the release date is true hopefully EVO 2016 will have USFIV with edition select enabled with omega characters allowed since it would be the farewell to SFIV. And have SFV as the main game of course.

PlasmaWaffle said on March 6, 2015 at 7:20 p.m.

The release date is March 31st 2016
I sent you guys this info ages ago! Pay more attention to me lol!

CharlieKenSon said on March 6, 2015 at 7:24 p.m.

No0ooo0oo0oooooo... i was hoping like november.

floorwalker said on March 6, 2015 at 7:25 p.m.

That's good, more time for listening to the fans. Take your time and use it wisely Capcom. Just don't take too long and pull a Duke Nukem Forever on us.

ribbuku said on March 6, 2015 at 7:27 p.m.

That's always been a placeholder date though, start of new financial quarter etc. I'm sure that was also posted at some point here, but isn't the actual release date. Coming directly from the mouth of a Capcom employee makes it more legit. It might be March, but it also might be April, like MKX..

icejohn said on March 6, 2015 at 7:50 p.m.

So one year from now...well gud luck dudes.
No excessive dlc shenanigans pleaze...
Oh and bring R. Mika back!

LeonHartEX said on March 6, 2015 at 7:54 p.m.

The thing is, I'd rather they take their time with it. That way, they don't need to patch any absurd glitches that are present in the game.

I still remember the glitches that plagued Street Fighter X Tekken online; Mega Man float glitch, Rolento instantly freezing the game, music not playing, etc.

I acknowledge that play testers can only expose so much and that a game's full potential, won't be exposed until years later. But, I just genuinely want the game to be successful and have a long competitive scene. Just like how it's prequel is still going strong. It's most likely a placeholder however, I just wanted to give my two cents as a SF fan.

danistheman said on March 6, 2015 at 8 p.m.

Feels a little quick.

MrWow12 said on March 6, 2015 at 8:18 p.m.

Sooner than I expected! That means we can see the beta testing around November

xShonuffx said on March 6, 2015 at 8:23 p.m.

Don't forget we got the beta guys, even though we have to wait till next year we can get a taste of it before it comes out.

HyperGadoken said on March 6, 2015 at 8:48 p.m.

this ain't killer instinct, or Injustice, or MK

YorKeY said on March 6, 2015 at 9:10 p.m.

There is going to be soooooooo many bugs, glitches, and problems. This feels too early, especially for Capcom, those monkey's at Capcom need more time i say, watch them rush it just for the sake of being out just in time for Evo.

Resident Evil Revelations 2= tons of problems at launch
Dead Rising 3= tons of problems at launch
USF4= problems at launch, and TONS of problems for the PC version
RE Remake= PC version problems at launch

I'm probably missing some.
Sucks cause this game will still be the number one fighting game regardless, let's see what they got.

REGorilla said on March 6, 2015 at 9:41 p.m.

I wouldn't worry /too/ much. Despite it looking like a short development time, it's easy to forget that Ono/Capcom said the game was 20% done back in Dec. We've already heard that the game will have a much smaller and more focused roster, so there's plenty of time for them to iron things out and not have to worry about balancing 40+ freaking characters.

This isn't even mentioning the fact that they're co-developing the game with studio Dimps, so that's even more dev-power. There's also the possibility of select Sony employees to help them, whether with extra devs or with their ability to gather plenty of QA staff.

As a bonus, never ever forget the footage we see in trailers is months-old in terms of the actual development. I doubt Sony would want them to mess up considering how much money they're entrusting to both Capcom and the community through that $500k Pot at Capcom Cup.

Ninjagoon said on March 6, 2015 at 9:42 p.m.

Next Spring? ok it seems like they have alot of what they want done. Just gotta add more characters, stages, and tweaks to combat.

DunnDeal said on March 6, 2015 at 9:49 p.m.

You people are so worried about the game coming out so quick because of glitches. Well the use of Unreal Engine 4 is why Capcom can work on the game in so little time. It's a fighting game, not an open world RPG. Im sure they will have plenty of time for testing. Besides, that's what the Beta is for. Sit back and take a deep breath everyone.

cuzzo said on March 6, 2015 at 11:19 p.m.

Well originally didn't Ono predict SF5 wouldn't come out until like 2018 or something like that? I'm sure with Sony's help that help speed things up drastically to 2 years sooner or whatever. I'm sure most agree sooner is bettter... I can't wait myself and don't want any sfxt shenanigans

Zenman said on March 7, 2015 at 1:17 a.m.

Doesn't spring start on march 21st?

devilcuco said on March 7, 2015 at 1:24 a.m.

Rematch button in endless. For the love of god.

1 year of development is fine, just go for pre-order beta asap. We are going to find all bugs and op moves/setups/combos/gameplans and help capcom do the most balanced fighting game ever. On release day.

Just bring endless and ranked, ranked will be great for statistics and raw data to Annalise. Just a simple matchmaking showing flag and connection speed.

And capcom, don't wait until you get a advanced beta with all chars, just release the alpha-beta with 3 chars, and update the beta version with dlc over time, we understand what a development build is, let's us help asap.

Tatsumaki85 said on March 7, 2015 at 3:09 a.m.

I say take your time in SF5. Theirs no rush. The only thing I want is USF4 to keep us from wait on 5. I bought a ps4 to get these 2 games. At least usf will keep us entertained while 5 is in work.

FGFan said on March 7, 2015 at 3:33 a.m.

MrEibmoz said on March 7, 2015 at 3:35 a.m.

Spring is always the time of Capcom fighters....

Anabyss said on March 7, 2015 at 4:16 a.m.

I agree lets just wait and see

fawaz said on March 7, 2015 at 4:35 a.m.

Is it just me or the timing sounds short since it's currently just at 20%? Perhaps the power of Unreal Engine 4 has struck... ^__^

I am thinking they'll definitely delay it at some point - no problem with that. In the meanwhile, just give us some more USFIV content XD.

DriveCancelled said on March 7, 2015 at 5:05 a.m.

Possible late 2015 arcade release? Meeeeeh, I'll guess February 2016 arcade, April-May 2016 PC, PS4. (it'll come out before Evo)

Strider_Hien said on March 7, 2015 at 5:17 a.m. seems to clash with that USFIV release.After all,that's supposed to be best version of the game.Take your sweet time,Capcom....Ultra can keep us busy for a while.1st Q 2017 sounds good and will give you plenty of time to work out the kinks.

LordGlyph said on March 7, 2015 at 6:15 a.m.

You do realize that USF4 for PS4 is coming out THIS Spring 2015, not 2016??

Turbojacke said on March 7, 2015 at 7:06 a.m.

I may be alone with that but imho they should release the game in 2017.

maxi2099 said on March 7, 2015 at 7:24 a.m.

Just as expected, and now becomes more evident that the game will have only 16 initial characters.

Tatsumaki85 said on March 7, 2015 at 7:26 a.m.

releasing it in 2016 is fine. It's still a long time to go. You probably thinning it as this year lol even if they release it in 2017 or 2018 (me being sarcastic) that's fine just make sure 2015 I get my USF4 lol

CBX said on March 7, 2015 at 7:49 a.m.

I think the best thing to do is release it in 2017-18, when the game releases in Japanese arcades launch the beta program in the west. That way the Japanese arcades can make some money, and the West isn't left hanging in the wind playing catch up with the console release during the beta program.

Saul_T_Runbax said on March 7, 2015 at 10:06 a.m.

If they end up making a special edition PS4 for this game, they can just go ahead and take my money now.

Xykes said on March 7, 2015 at 10:33 a.m.

Online beta test says hi...

Razy said on March 7, 2015 at 10:58 a.m.

KidASeven said on March 7, 2015 at 12:41 p.m.

IT makes sense seeing as how they're putting all this money this year and most likely next year to build sf5 hype. The money this year is to build up the scene so SF5 builds off of the momentum from USF4. If SF5 comes out in November, then it misses out on Evo and Capcom Pro Tour would not happen for SF5. SF5 coming out in Spring 2016 means it can use EVO to build hype for the game just as the game is new and continues that well into Capcom Cup.

unseenpotential01 said on March 7, 2015 at 2:30 p.m.

shano said on March 7, 2015 at 2:44 p.m.

SFIV didn't have a Public Beta but it did have Location Tests and it released on Arcade months before Consoles got SFIV.

bwinches said on March 7, 2015 at 4:50 p.m.

Facts regarding USF4 on PS4:

1. The ULTIMATE VERSION of the world's greatest fighting game exclusively on PS4.

2. Includes all costume packs available up to release date.

cagedphoenix said on March 7, 2015 at 6:19 p.m.

I think Bison should float like, Superman, Wonder woman, or green lantern from injustice!

Strider_Hien said on March 7, 2015 at 7:31 p.m.

Of course,man.

But we're talking about the ULTIMATE version of USF4.IF(and that's a big If) they manage to harness the power of the PS4 to enhance it,we're looking at the Gold standard for Tournament and competitions everywhere.

With SF5 so close,this new version wouldn't have it's time in the sun...Ultra has good legs to last a while(I would say a good 3 years) It would be sad and a waste....

With a 1st Q 2017 release,Capcom/Dimps/Sony would have enough time to do the following:

-International Loc.Tests
-Beta Access
-Iron out the kinks and bugs that may arise during development.

After Ultra has had a good year and half run,unleash the new installment of the series,with a decent timetable for a new generation of players to transition into it.Tournament brawlers will get ready good and proper for upcoming tournaments...

and USF4 will reach the upper echelon of Capcom's legendary brawlers,as Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo(I think it will reach that level:Watch for years to come..) and Marvel Vs. Capcom 2.

This is all in my humble opinion.Capcom will nail this one,whether they do this or not.

nightmaresteam said on March 7, 2015 at 7:58 p.m.
neogeo_city said on March 7, 2015 at 9:46 p.m.

masquedmonk said on March 8, 2015 at 6:41 a.m.

Hm, could be PR misdirection but I'm just waiting for beta test announcement anyway. They can take their time.

That "only 20% done" notion should be tossed out by now. Not only did they say that three months ago, but those Hadouken Cabs ads meant these wheels were set in motion quite awhile ago. They showed us a 20% build, sure - I'll buy that. But I bet they're a lot further along than we know, as well.