Justin Wong creates community-funded pot bonus for Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 at EVO

Posted by John 'Velociraptor' Guerrero • July 6, 2015 at 5:10 p.m. PDT

We've been hearing about huge pot bonuses all year long. $50,000 to Mortal Kombat X from Warner Bros., 50k to Killer Instinct from Microsoft, 50k to Street Fighter 4 from Capcom and 30k to Tekken 7 from Bandai Namco.

One of the games responsible for some of the greatest EVO memories in recent years, Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, has received no such love, until now. EG|Justin Wong has teamed up with Filipino Champ, who's recently been sponsored by Panda Global Gaming, and Tempo|ChrisG to build a pot bonus for UMVC3.

Wong has started a Gofundme, promising some pretty great prizes such as training sessions and exhibition matches with the players mentioned above. Hit the jump for more details.

The goal is to raise $10,000 for the top 16 competitors in UMVC3. The fund raiser opened just over an hour ago, and there's already over $250 donated.

This is a great way to inspire a little more hype in the Marvel train, giving that much more excitement to players that are competing in the tournament, and to the viewers watching from around the world.

If you'd like to donate, head over to the Gofundme page. There you can also see the different bonuses and tiers as well as Justin's personal statement on the matter.

Finally, it's important we mention Justin has opted out of taking any of this pot bonus should he place in the top 16 of the tourney.

Comments

Cootersneeze said on July 6, 2015 at 5:15 p.m.
boxcarsteve said on July 6, 2015 at 5:17 p.m.

Jwong stated that he will not take part in the money funded. It will go to everyone else that places in the top.

Kakashi92 said on July 6, 2015 at 5:18 p.m.

RIP, Marvel #BibleThump

Hynne said on July 6, 2015 at 5:19 p.m.

He already opted out of that.

Anabyss said on July 6, 2015 at 5:19 p.m.

Thx for clearning that up cause I know comment number 1 will discourage lingering minds

DyoSan said on July 6, 2015 at 5:33 p.m.

No love for Sf x Tk community?

COREY_1993 said on July 6, 2015 at 5:40 p.m.

lmao... of course he did.

wants to try and get as much money as he can lol

DrDevice said on July 6, 2015 at 5:48 p.m.

If he wins he's not getting any of the pot.

DrDucker said on July 6, 2015 at 5:59 p.m.

i like this move

its a good way of supporting a scene even if its just cash

Blackoshinomi said on July 6, 2015 at 6:02 p.m.

Kickstarter For Fgc

Ruuku said on July 6, 2015 at 6:12 p.m.

How does that support the scene? I'd rather donate to Haiti or something.

Sir_Kenjamin said on July 6, 2015 at 6:21 p.m.

Hey guys. . . You can't go Wong by donating.

bigjbilly said on July 6, 2015 at 6:34 p.m.

Lol at that dude finally getting banned. I think he finally pissed off literally every person on ehubs.

MenaRD said on July 6, 2015 at 6:38 p.m.

someone donated 500$ wow

dorayaki said on July 6, 2015 at 6:44 p.m.

Fundraiser pot bonus = Game officially dead. Don't hate the messenger.

DrDucker said on July 6, 2015 at 6:47 p.m.

a+

DarkPhoenixRises said on July 6, 2015 at 6:57 p.m.

Lmao when I seen the ban I got the biggest smile and that guy never said anything to me or anything to offend me, he really annoyed me though.

halodork said on July 6, 2015 at 7:09 p.m.

I'll be interested to see how much can be raised in such a short amount of time.

I also wish a long undead life to Mahvel.

Skinny_Puppy said on July 6, 2015 at 8:18 p.m.

If he'd have had this idea with alot more time on the clock, so to speak, it would have made a bigger impact. I like how he opted out of the money as well. Jwong is a pretty stand up guy.

BigFleccs said on July 6, 2015 at 8:19 p.m.

He will pot split it with Chris G or F Champ. Fk marvel lol. I'll donate though.

BigFleccs said on July 6, 2015 at 8:22 p.m.

I wish it was on ps4!

Strider_Hien said on July 6, 2015 at 8:49 p.m.

Why do people get a kick of witnessing a game die.....I'll never know and I'll never want to.Long Live our FG's,from the ever-lasting OG Classic to the minty fresh new breed.Props to Justin for trying his damnedest to give a us spectacle worthy of the name "Marvel".....

spambot said on July 6, 2015 at 8:54 p.m.

10 more years

daisetsu said on July 6, 2015 at 9:51 p.m.

WHEN'S THE BALANCE PATCH UPDATE ?

OmegaStriker said on July 6, 2015 at 10:10 p.m.

Now this is what I call true love for the game. Good stuff, Justin and co.

raymk said on July 6, 2015 at 10:13 p.m.

Well it is dead, but I don't think it'll ever die as an evo game.

spman2099 said on July 6, 2015 at 10:31 p.m.

I certainly don't get a kick out of watching any game die. I also think it is great what Wong is doing here. It is a fantastic move and I am happy that the scene has Wong as it is a better scene with him in it.

That being said, I can't stand watching this game. Selfishly, I would prefer if it wasn't around at EVO just so that any other game could take its place. That is a preference thing though, I get that. So, while I do commend this effort, I certainly will not be donating.

dOugiieOVRKLL said on July 6, 2015 at 10:55 p.m.

Not even a day since I heard about this and already almost at 2k. Yeah Marvel is soooooo dead, right?. People don't care about this game anymore, huh? #LONGLIVEMARVEL #MarvelLives

AveMcree said on July 6, 2015 at 11:18 p.m.

Game isnt dead... the game may not get patched but thats great compared to games where crybabies get they wish... seeing that one kid get so far with team resident evil at ect then cats like fullschedule do his thing was dope...

qOcOp said on July 6, 2015 at 11:52 p.m.

Nice man! im gonna donate some $! :D

mahvel is not dead!! mahvel is still the best game to spectate and its not even close!!!

Spabobin said on July 7, 2015 at 1:01 a.m.

like him or not, that was a ludicrously benign post to be banned for (and nothing else in his recent posting history was worse). I expect poster #1 to be banned as well.

I don't get why people like you celebrate bans of everyone that mildly annoys you.

TheUntitledOne said on July 7, 2015 at 1:39 a.m.

Huge props to Justin for doing this just for the pure love of the game. I heard it already hit 1k within about 5 hours and almost 2k as of this post. The fact that he's exempting himself from getting any of the GoFundMe pot just shows what a stand-up guy he is.

shakunetsu said on July 7, 2015 at 1:42 a.m.

UP for JUSTIN awesome guy!!! i hope marvel and capcom would make an update for mvc2 (ala kof2002UM and KOF98UM) and umvc3.

gost_body said on July 7, 2015 at 1:43 a.m.

Tsikura said on July 7, 2015 at 1:43 a.m.

Unless you're joking. Donating to Haiti itself is a joke.

Sanox said on July 7, 2015 at 1:44 a.m.

good stuff.

mahvel really is in a bad position, still liked by many but zero support from capcom because of the licence

spman2099 said on July 7, 2015 at 1:51 a.m.

He was an obnoxious poster, but I never saw him post anything even mildly ban worthy. I have to assume that there was more at play here...

If it was his obnoxiousness alone then there are a ton of people that should prepare themselves for the reckoning (possibly even myself). Eventhubs may be empty in a month or so.

Spabobin said on July 7, 2015 at 2:02 a.m.

You can try to shoot down all the annoying people all you want, but Spabobin's First Law of Eventhubs states that for every obnoxious person you ban, 2 more will rise (often times the same person).

MuffinMan said on July 7, 2015 at 2:40 a.m.

It's really awesome that the pot bonus is going to Top 16 instead of just Top 8. Well done, UMVC3 Triad!

NoizyChild said on July 7, 2015 at 3:11 a.m.

Because they think that if Marvel dies, then whatever obscure game that they like will somehow become relevant/popular.

unrealboot1 said on July 7, 2015 at 3:23 a.m.

But Justin forgot to mention he will be taking a 20% cut of the pot as a commission. OK guys im kidding.

LeonOne994 said on July 7, 2015 at 3:24 a.m.

I have nothing against the game, I enjoy it. But to be honest I am more hyped for the SF5 characters that are to be shown than this game.

NyuBomber said on July 7, 2015 at 3:57 a.m.

Mahvel will never die.

I really hope Capcom puts the engine to use without the extra baggage of licensing.

spman2099 said on July 7, 2015 at 4:39 a.m.

Most probably don't "think" that would happen, but many certainly hope. I mean, something would have to take its place...

TYWJHTNGD. YPWNBH.

Smorgasboard said on July 7, 2015 at 5:23 a.m.

Kudos to Justin for doing this. Such a good guy.

Marvel is still dying but at least he's giving it an honorable death.

vegetalcontains said on July 7, 2015 at 6:25 a.m.

Shame on you capcom "legal" reasons to not patch marvel 3.

I still can't believe capcom did everything wrong with this game, and also lost the opportunity to give some balance to marvel 2.

When I die I want a copy of marvel 2 in my chest, and capcom staff there to bury me so they can let me down one last time.

DrDevice said on July 7, 2015 at 7:10 a.m.

So you'd rather have had them patch the game and get sued by Marvel/Disney?

dOugiieOVRKLL said on July 7, 2015 at 7:22 a.m.

The game involves characters that are not owned by Capcom. They literally can't touch it.

Blancs said on July 7, 2015 at 7:27 a.m.

"Hi, I'm the best Marvel player in the world and I'm teaming up with other top players to ask you for more prize money for when I win."

Sincerely,

Evil Wong

Reality2k said on July 7, 2015 at 7:39 a.m.

Should go towards Capcom making MVC4 or a balance patch instead

dOugiieOVRKLL said on July 7, 2015 at 7:54 a.m.

He already said none of the money raised will go to him.

dOugiieOVRKLL said on July 7, 2015 at 7:54 a.m.

Doesn't work like that.

vegetalcontains said on July 7, 2015 at 8:23 a.m.
Spabobin said on July 7, 2015 at 8:32 a.m.

Jesus christ go back to 2011 you whiny *****. You don't know jack **** about business OR game development. You don't know that Capcom DIDN'T ask to be able to patch Marvel, or that they would have allowed it if they did. Marvel is clearly in a superior negotiating position, they could just buy Capcom and not make a dent in their finances. Sentinel was never OP at any stage of the game, including the first week. Complaining about not using the same button config as a 10 year old game? How do you possibly consider that a valid criticism? By that logic we should all be complaining that we aren't still using the SF1 punching pads for new games.

DarkPhoenixRises said on July 7, 2015 at 8:48 a.m.

I didn't see the comment he got banned for so I don't know whether or not he deserved to be banned But when someone is negative majority of the time or posting things that seem to be for the sack of nothing more than to start a flame war why would one not be a little glad to see them go?

You're being a little dramatic saying people like me (lmao) celebrate bans of "everyone" that mildy annoys me. If you got banned right now I wouldn't celebrate at all.... So sorry your friend got banned clearly someone was feed up with the shenanigans or he wouldn't be banned.

Amoc said on July 7, 2015 at 10:01 a.m.

Way to go, Justin!

Gameplan said on July 7, 2015 at 12:08 p.m.

Mad props to JWong for doing this out of love for the game, great idea.

Long live Marvel!

hamster said on July 7, 2015 at 12:13 p.m.

Kudos to Justin to opt out of the pot bonus himself.

Still waiting on Chris G and Filipino Champ to opt out as well...

Opting out or invalidating ones self from prizes that you helped organize is a pretty common practice done for the specific reason to dispel any notion of shady business practices. It's the reason why Combofiend is forbidden from participating in fighting game tournaments.

In Chris G and Filipino Champ's case, it's pretty obvious they stand the greatest chance to benefit from something like this. Since they're helping to organizing it, they need to opt out.

Now I know that as a counterpoint, maybe F Champ and Chris G only offered to help sweeten the deal by adding in their time for the reward tiers. With this thinking, why should they be screwed out of the extra money when they were trying to help?

My answer to this is, aside from the fact that I stated earlier that they stand the most to gain from this, I'm also less sympathetic to them because they have SPONSORSHIP.

Now we don't know what the details of their sponsorship deals are, but the fact of the matter is, it's NOT transparent so there's no way for us to tell how well off they are.

Remember, these are the exact reasons why people disqualify themselves from prizes in contests that they help organize. It's just way too shady looking otherwise.

madvec1 said on July 7, 2015 at 1:15 p.m.

Now that's a man's love for a game.
Kudos for Justin.

yepwingtim said on July 7, 2015 at 1:39 p.m.

wont even hit 5000 game is deadZ

V3N0MB1T3 said on July 7, 2015 at 1:52 p.m.

This. You can only sh!tpost so much before it final all comes cascading down on top of you. If the guy was always quick to rush to accusations using harsh judgement, rude conduct or misleading language (even if all of it is "just muh opinions") you do enough of it and you're finally going to have it all come back around to you. EH has way to much of that in its comments section lately and while you won't see me dancing in the streets for joy as a result of it, I am glad to see them cracking down on people who only come here to fling insults while they comfortably armchair general it up behind the safety of their anonymous user names. EH used to be a place for discussion, these days its just a dumping ground for teen angst and FG elitism.

godfist314 said on July 7, 2015 at 4:33 p.m.

Well the other side of this coin is that Mike Z & Co. put their hearts into Skullgirls 2nd Encore and came up short in a noticeable area (replays) due to budget constraints. "Legal" reasons are also why My Little Pony Fighting is Magic wasn't released due to a cease and desist order so whatever man.

By the way Capcom DID patch marvel 3 in a few really major areas but if you want to completely ignore them then I won't bother listing them again.

vegetalcontains said on July 7, 2015 at 4:44 p.m.

Patches are the only hope for fighting games to stay alive, is a MUST.
That's why the game is dying. They could at least try the "legal" move, and then say "we tried". But you are recognisign like me, that they DIDN'T ask to be able to patch marvel. Why? Cause they don't care man, chillout! Accept the truth champ!

Sentinel was op during the first days of marvel. And that is way it's life points were nerfed. Even Justing Wong said that.

SF1 never was a success to keep the same punching pads.

Spabobin said on July 8, 2015 at 6:19 a.m.

Sentinel's health nerf was planned before the game even released. They knew that scrubs wouldn't be able to deal with him and would cry that he was top tier. But if you gave him his 1.3 mil health back, he would still only be mid-tier today. He might be able to survive one more combo (instead of always dying in 1 touch like now) but he's so easy to open up that it would rarely matter.

Spabobin said on July 8, 2015 at 6:54 a.m.

This is my last post on the matter because I get tired of having this same discussion every few weeks. The comment is still visible from the guy that replied to him:

"lmao... of course he did. wants to try and get as much money as he can lol." Which is stupid because Wong clearly stated he wouldn't take any of the money, but the occasional look at the comment sections proves that people aren't banned for stupidity here.

If someone does something *worthy of banning* then ban them when it happens. Obviously past behavior can be considered but it shouldn't be 99% of the reason, otherwise it makes the mods look petty. There are plenty of alternatives to EH for fighting game info/discussion; legitimate commenters who get banned for dumb reasons will usually just go elsewhere, while annoying trolls will just make new accounts and double down. (Seriously, when was the last time you've seen a comment just get removed without a complete permaban? It's been AGES since I've seen it)

Anyway, I don't care about that Corey guy at all so whatever, not exactly a big loss

NoizyChild said on July 8, 2015 at 2:14 p.m.

Nothing can take Marvel's place but Marvel.