Ono: We won't be releasing a new Darkstalkers game anytime soon, unless someone buys a staggering number of Darkstalkers Resurrection copies

Posted by Cheng Kai 'KarbyP' Sim • October 7, 2014 at 12:30 p.m. PDT

This week, Famitsu.com has published another interview with Capcom's Yoshinori Ono.

This new piece is a continuation of the interview conducted by popular TV and online gaming personality Ayana Tsubaki (in which Ono spoke about the Street Fighter 5 misquotes) and transcribed by Toyoizumi from the Famitsu editorial team.

Although Ono seems to be jesting in much of this part of Famitsu's interview, he did drop a few bombshells on us unsuspecting readers: a new Darkstalkers game won't be released anytime soon, and it may actually be possible for Capcom to release one more patch for Street Fighter X Tekken.

Read on to find out what Ono said.

Ayana Tsubaki: For many years now, Capcom has been making strides towards supporting and enlivening the world of fighting games. As a fighting games player myself, that's something that I'd like to express my gratitude for. Especially when you said, a number of years back, that you'd love to bring out a new installment in the Darkstalkers series... when that was reported, I was simply euphoric.

Yoshinori Ono: My apologies. We won't be releasing a new installment in the Darkstalkers series anytime soon. As we didn't manage to hit our sales targets for Darkstalkers Resurrection... so...

Tsubaki: Eh?! *Laughs* But I'm really a fan of the series, and I'd really love for Capcom to make it happen!

Ono: Well, in that case all you have to do is buy about 4 million copies of Darkstalkers Resurrections! *Laughs*

Tsubaki: *Laughs* Also, I'd like to see a new installment of the Street Fighter X Tekken series!

Ono: In Street Fighter X Tekken's case, if we're able to get just a little more development budget allocated to the project, I think we might release one more patch for the game. We've even got the details of what we'd change in the patch planned out.

Tsubaki: Is that so!? But in all honesty, what I'm hoping for here is a sequel to the game. After all, even with Capcom vs. SNK, it wasn't until CvS2 that it became a huge hit. Even today it's still hailed as an incredible fighting game. So I was hoping for a similar development to happen with Street Fighter X Tekken.

Ono: That's what I've always been telling the company too. But at the end of the day, there are just some brick walls that a salaryman can never overcome *laughs*. For instance, if a game doesn't sell over 2 million copies, then we'd have to put the brakes on any plans for a sequel. All that means is that we weren't capable enough. And all we can do after that is to reflect on the experience, take what we can learn from it, and try to apply those lessons on some other title.

With that said, now that Bandai Namco Games has announced Tekken 7, and with Sega having no fighting game plans in their pipeline *laughs*, there needs to be somebody else around to stir up the scene with some lively competition.

Tsubaki: But Sega's been hard at work lately putting out 2D fighting games like Blade Arcus from Shining and Dengeki Bunko Fighting Climax, no?

Ono: But none of those games are new installments of "that" franchise! *Laughs* Well, I can't really say what I'm referring to here, but in any case you'd expect a high-impact, heavyweight title here [to stand up to a game like Tekken 7].

A high-impact, heavyweight title? Like, perhaps, whatever it is you've got the guys over at Dimps working on for you, Ono?

I'm also quite concerned about what Ono's comments on Street Fighter X Tekken could mean...

Question from the editor: Would you like to see another balance patch for Street Fighter X Tekken? If so, what would you like to see changed?

Source: Famitsu.com. Image Credits: Famitsu and Maximilian Dood.

gamekingcaleb94 said on October 7, 2014 at 12:35 p.m.

NoizyChild said on October 7, 2014 at 12:37 p.m.

All SFxT needs to change is to tone down the top tiers and buff the bottom ones.

The system itself is fine as is. Chun, Hwo, Kazuya, Nina, and Jin are ridiculous, and characters like Lei, Balrog, Ibuki, Steve, and Hugo need serious buffs.

GammaChemical said on October 7, 2014 at 12:37 p.m.

Baby_Astaroth said on October 7, 2014 at 12:38 p.m.

Kind of BS reasoning. DS has been re-released over the years numerous times. I don't know why Capcom or Ono would expect people to purchase the same DS games over and over again.

NoizyChild said on October 7, 2014 at 12:40 p.m.

Not really.

Besides the PS1 ports (which were crap), they had Chaos Tower (which nobody bought) and DSR (which, again, nobody bought).

It's not Capcom, it's the franchise. I've been saying for years that DS isn't a popular franchise, but everyone wants to downvote and hate on me for speaking the truth.

Ono just confirmed what I've been saying. Deal with it.

Ranshi said on October 7, 2014 at 12:41 p.m.

4 Million!? Since when did Capcom become Square!?

And what the hell was that Darkstalkers are not dead teaser from NY Comic Con? Because that really didn't seem like it had to do anything with the resurection campaign.

DarkRyu94 said on October 7, 2014 at 12:41 p.m.

Ono basically confirmed what we all know. Darkstalkers Resurrection wasn't going to save DS and get it a new entry but I think Ono knew that anyway. I bet if it was up to him he would of just made the game right then and there

BumbleBrady said on October 7, 2014 at 12:41 p.m.

What's dumb is the game sold really well. Just not as much as Capcom wanted. Capcom knows people want this but continue to make unpopular business decisions, this one borderline bad.

NyuBomber said on October 7, 2014 at 12:42 p.m.

No doubt about Street Fighter 5/Alpha 4, then.

Not that I necessarily mind, but it'd be nice to get something new and not intrinsically tied to that one and only series and its mechanics from Capcom in this genre. Mahvel was good for it, but...yea.

Re: SFxT - Too gimped from the outset by both gameplay design decisions and outside factors. Died too young. RIP.

ReddChief said on October 7, 2014 at 12:42 p.m.

People don't want the old version of Darkstalkers or maybe they already bought the 2 that was already released just months earlier, we want a new Darkstalkers.

floorwalker said on October 7, 2014 at 12:43 p.m.

But... people would go nuts over a new evolved version of a fan favorite franchise such as Darkstalkers. Also, I would love Street Fighter Alpha 4 to come first before Street Fighter 5.

DestinyZX1 said on October 7, 2014 at 12:45 p.m.

I feel sad because I did buy The Chaos Tower and it was pretty good.

FrozenIndustry said on October 7, 2014 at 12:45 p.m.

Basically this. For all the clamoring people do about the series, Darkstalkers is NOT a popular series, especially here in the west. Sure it may have a small cult following, but to make a new game would be a financial disaster, and with the current business woes Capcom is facing, it makes no sense for them to make that kind of investment.

I have yet to actually meet someone who's that excited about the series, outside of the occasional "oh yeah I played that a few times in the arcade back then, I guess it could be cool."

I'm still sour about that series taking up 3 unnecessary slots in MvC3, if that wasn't apparent. Morrigan alone was enough, maybe Felicia. Hsien-Ko was a large step too far.

konachin said on October 7, 2014 at 12:47 p.m.

LOL Sure, pays us before to make the game, and then pay after that too.

TheAlmightyVox said on October 7, 2014 at 12:48 p.m.

The game wasn't a financial success, it's simple as that. Don't try and make it out like this is some gigantic franchise that Capcom just isn't making use of. They gave fans the chance to show they wanted a new game, and it didn't happen. If they have no indication that there's a community that would support this, they have no reason to move forward with making a new game.

anthonygamer said on October 7, 2014 at 12:48 p.m.
sarif2soon said on October 7, 2014 at 12:48 p.m.

Has there ever been a fundraiser to buy 4 million of something?
Just asking for no particular reason...

GammaChemical said on October 7, 2014 at 12:48 p.m.

BakaBakaChooChoo said on October 7, 2014 at 12:49 p.m.

Welp, time to huddle up in the corner and drown my sorrows in a staggering amount of ice cream.

The dream was nice while it lasted I suppose. oh well

Burning_Typhoon said on October 7, 2014 at 12:53 p.m.

I'm not buying an old DS game. I didn't grow up playing Dark Stalkers. Make a new game, I'm not interested in an old game like DS:Resurrection. I grew up with MvC. I have origins and mvc2. I'm not getting MvC3 in any form.. ever.. it's trash.

NoizyChild said on October 7, 2014 at 12:57 p.m.

No it didn't. Capcom themselves said the game underperformed.

They're not going to sink money and time into a series if they're not seeing any potential profit in it.

SF4 got made because people bought HD Remix like crazy.

MVC3 got made because MVC2 sold like crack.

A new DS isn't getting made because DSR barely sold.

See the correlation? The previous two games had strong, supportive fanbases. Darkstalkers doesn't, therefore, Capcom won't be making another one.

KTProsper said on October 7, 2014 at 1:06 p.m.

Bringing DS back wasn't even a smart marketing decision to begin with. CVS2 should've been their priority from the get go. I feel it would've produced better results.

shinra358 said on October 7, 2014 at 1:06 p.m.
Dbarcelona said on October 7, 2014 at 1:06 p.m.

dude you never played marvel vs capcom the darkstalkers franchise has always been relevant in the series and actually some people would have loved more darkstalkers characters in umvc3 stop hatin
its an old school franchise and dosen't rival maquee franchises like sf
darkstalkers has 1000 times more interesting characters that would shine in a game like mvc than any other fighting game franchise they have

Ammonites said on October 7, 2014 at 1:07 p.m.

Boooo. Darkstalkers was some of the best stuff!

HooliganComboFTW said on October 7, 2014 at 1:08 p.m.

If there is no demand for a franchise that is backed by hard numbers (Petition signatures are not acceptable numbers) then it would be a giant waste of time/money otherwise which will lead to further consequences and Capcom is not in good shape these days to keep failing at getting adequate profits.

While I enjoy Darkstalkers especially VS more then SF, I can't deny the fact the franchise has no demand in this day and age outside of a relatively small and loud demographic on the anonymous web. Darkstalkers Resurrection was that chance to convince investors of a likely sequel, but the poor sales did not bring acceptable confidence. Too many people took it upon themselves to vilify Ressurection by demanding a sequel title immediately instead which instantly shot whatever low chance of a sequel out of the water.

gigantor21 said on October 7, 2014 at 1:10 p.m.

I just want the PC version of SFxT moved to Steamworks, before the accursed GFWL gets shutdown.

Granted, the online is all but barren at this point, but saves are tied to GFWL as well.

FightDirty said on October 7, 2014 at 1:12 p.m.

I've been agreeing with NoizyChild with unusual frequency as of late. There must be a disturbance in the force. Despite some cool characters, namely Morrigan and Demitri, DS was never that good of a game. Far better for them to use resources towards games people would actually buy like a new Alpha or SF.

They had best not nerf Chun-Li in SFxT though. She is perfect the way she is.

Sanox said on October 7, 2014 at 1:15 p.m.

basing the future of a franchise on a re-release ....

NoizyChild said on October 7, 2014 at 1:17 p.m.

CVS2 barely sold as well.

People need to take off the nostalgia goggles and start looking at facts.

CVS, Rival Schools, Power Stone, DarkStalkers....these are franchises that barely sold any units and have small fanbases. It would be pointless for Capcom to make new installments of those franchises.

NoizyChild said on October 7, 2014 at 1:19 p.m.
chowdizzle said on October 7, 2014 at 1:20 p.m.

I'll be honest here, I think DSR sold poorly because A) as most people are saying DS isn't really that popular of a franchise among the newer generation and B) Capcom over saturated the market with these HDR titles. We got HDR, then MvC2, 3rd Strike which I bought all of these, but then we got MvC:O and DSR, am I forgetting any?

For real I was sick of the business model "Let's see if people buy the old game again and if they do we'll make a new one" bullsh*t business model.

If they made a new DS game with 3d models and new gameplay mechanics I would not hesitate to pick it up for $60, but I will not support Capcom doing this to gauge the audience. There is a whole new generation of fighters and many of us don't have interest in rehashed games from the 90's, or at least 300 rehashed games.

DS has the lineup and character style that if transitioned into 3d and shown with current graphics it would look so cool and IMO that would most definitely gauge interest.

Teohkaka said on October 7, 2014 at 1:22 p.m.

When he says " That " Franchise , I guess he means Virtua Fighter , which reminds me is the only major fighting game left doesn't have either a meter or super/ultra combos ...

NoizyChild said on October 7, 2014 at 1:24 p.m.

He's either referring to VF (in Sega's case), which doesn't sell much either, or SF (in Capcom's case), which is guaranteed to move units.

HooliganComboFTW said on October 7, 2014 at 1:25 p.m.

That is nothing new in the game industry with the amount of rereleases present so hardly a unique case for Darkstalkers.

The reason this happens is to test the waters of how consumer active X fanbase in the most cost effective way. Why play Russian roulette with a multi-million game budget for a targeted demographic that may not even exist when you can cut the amount of costs by 80% to find the same conclusion? Capcom is hardly the only one that practices this method because it's a try-and-true tactic in the game industry. Unless X company is doing really well (not Capcom atm) and can afford taking a couple risks on game projects that may end up bombing in the week 1 numbers because otherwise there is not much other alternatives besides just doing nothing.

NoizyChild said on October 7, 2014 at 1:25 p.m.

So you want Capcom to spend money and time just to gauge interest in a franchise that has historically shown to not sell?

Thank God you don't run the company. They'd be bankrupt by the end of the year.

Snipeclips said on October 7, 2014 at 1:27 p.m.

I'm sorry but I don't think that was the case. SF4 and HD Remix was released several months apart from each other, and there was an apparent arcade release earlier before it released for consoles. As for MvC3, it was in development since 2008, so I don't think any of them got made cause a previous updated game sold well.

chowdizzle said on October 7, 2014 at 1:28 p.m.

No, I'm saying their reasoning sucks.

I think if made correctly they very well could sell a DS game.

Though with their game direction as of late I have little faith it'd be what it needs to be.

I respect your opinion but I'd respect it more if you could be less of a dick.

FrozenIndustry said on October 7, 2014 at 1:29 p.m.

Except it really has never been a popular series outside of the diehards. Darksatlkers is very much a dead franchise, otherwise sales numbers would speak louder.

And Darkstalkers is more old-school than any form Mega Man, right? That's why they had to cut him from the game.

kidd55 said on October 7, 2014 at 1:30 p.m.

Please we need tht sfxt l stil ply tht game, l thnk unlike sf, sxft is very easy to master nd therefore gvs no incentive to continue plying th game coz u feel no progress

Anjon said on October 7, 2014 at 1:31 p.m.

I said it once and I'll say it again: it no longer matters what Capcom "teases" as remakes or rereleases. For one, the sales of a rerelease are never going to perform well enough to garner a new entry into the franchise. It's just impossible. Capcom doesn't think the sales of previous Mega Man titles merits the release and shipment of MML3, a game that's 95% complete. Mega Man is probably Capcom's third most popular franchise next to Street Fighter and Resident Evil. If it can't warrant a new game, none of Capcom's old franchises will.

And there's no longer any need to care. If you like the characters, you can play the old games just fine, because you know Capcom isn't going to rerelease an old game without altering the gameplay to the point that it's unrecognizable. More importantly, there're indie developers waiting in the wings to make the money Capcom is throwing away, like how Mighty No. 9 basically stole their entire Mega Man fan base and is going to cash in hard on it.

NoizyChild said on October 7, 2014 at 1:34 p.m.

Mega Man's highest selling game was Mega Man 2, back in 1988, at 1.5 million sold.

It may be popular, but it doesn't sell much.

As far as MN9, lolno. The fans are getting their money back from Inafune because of something with GamerGate and Comcept's PR director. MN9 won't make much at all.

kentoirc said on October 7, 2014 at 1:36 p.m.

Taizuku said on October 7, 2014 at 1:38 p.m.

RIP Darkstalkers 4

NoizyChild said on October 7, 2014 at 1:39 p.m.

HDR was heavily requested by fans back in 2007. Since SF is one of Capcom's highest selling franchises, that alone gave Capcom the incentive to start on SF4.

MVC3 was in development in 2008, but if MVC2 hadn't sold like it did, Capcom would have most likely quietly cancelled the project.

Supporting what you have gets you more of what you want. It's like giving a child that wants a puppy a stuffed animal. If the child can prove that they are grateful for and can take care of the stuffed animal, then the parents notice that and give the child the puppy they asked for.

GammaChemical said on October 7, 2014 at 1:44 p.m.

danistheman said on October 7, 2014 at 1:44 p.m.

Yeah I knew that was right. It's IS our fault basically for not buying Darkstalkers Resurrection. FGC demands them to be re-released, but they don't buy them. Talk the talk, but not walking the walk.

Him said on October 7, 2014 at 1:45 p.m.

"Ono: But none of those games are new installments of "that" franchise! *Laughs* Well, I can't really say what I'm referring to here..."

SnakeX said on October 7, 2014 at 1:45 p.m.

Darkstalkers Resurrection's inadequate sales should be all the info anyone needed to know when it came to whether or not a true sequel was going to happen. The fact that people still try to spin it one way or another while pestering Ono is bizarre to me; Capcom went out of its way to gauge the market for interest in Darkstalkers with DS:R despite already having historical proof that the series is incredibly niche and wouldn't sell in today's market, and the result? They got the same answer they've had for years: Darkstalkers does not sell. I mean damn, I enjoy the series but I don't lie to myself about its popularity and worth.

A lot of people are enticed by the novelty of another Darkstalkers existing and nothing more. It's not going to bring in a notable amount of money or new players, DS:R proved that. I think it's time for everyone to simply Darkstalkers go. Be glad that Capcom still values DS characters enough to put them in crossover titles at the very least, but move on.

SnakeX said on October 7, 2014 at 1:49 p.m.

Yup. People were up in arms about having more Darkstalkers in their lives for a while now...and then DS:R comes around, with a lot of neat features, good netcode, and great effort on Capcom and Iron Galaxy's part to make one final love letter to DS fans...and it doesn't sell well. No one should be surprised that Ono has essentially said "RIP Darkstalkers" at this point.

Roy_Arkon said on October 7, 2014 at 1:52 p.m.

That sucks, I really liked the Darkstalkers series. Yes it wasn't that popular in comparison to Street Fighter, but it was such a fun game with one of the best casts of characters ever made: Morrigan, Jedah, Lord Raptor, Bishamon and more. I just loved those characters. In fact my main team on MVC1 was Wolverine/Morrigan (yes it may be not the best team but I like that team). Speaking of which, now that DS isn't gonna get any new game, now we're gonna see DS's characters only on crossovers and such? It's just stupid.

I still don't understand why Capcom are gonna put only games that will gurentee sell millions of copies. If they keep going like this, that they are barely gonna make any new games because of that, it might be a safer approach, but I believe it can be also a much more risky one at the same time.

I would buy a new DS game even just for one, because I loved that series.

GammaChemical said on October 7, 2014 at 1:53 p.m.

NissanZaxima said on October 7, 2014 at 1:55 p.m.

Lol good now people can stop pretending like they ever liked or really played DS.

TrueGamingGuru said on October 7, 2014 at 1:55 p.m.

Capcom's expectations is becoming way too greedy with their sales, and this company has made enough bad decisions since 2011 from releasing broken to awful games, cancelling & treating Mega Man IP along with fans like garbage not forget barely doing anything to celebrate his anniversary, appealing too many people to the point of losing quality, terrible marketing decisions along with giving out disappointments which leads to nothing or get fans upset, and having too high expectations to the point of trying to match EA, Activision, Rockstars etc.

For Darkstalkers, 4 million copies is very unreasonable considering Darkstalkers isn't as popular compare to SF, MVC, Resident Evil, Mega Man etc. along with fighting games are niche genres will never likely appeal to everyone (unless if there were obvious mainstream titles) no matter what they offer to get causals into fighting games. If this the only method to bring back a series, I can name better examples where certain games were resurrected due to fundraisers.

As much as I would love to see SFXT getting an update, but I think SFXT would be better off with a sequel. Even then would players ever welcome SFXT back after what happen back in 2012 due to rushing the game out (not even giving it an Arcade release first along with MVC3) and bad marketing decisions which caused a huge backlash? The majority of players will just stick with SFIV or MVC3, not giving SFXT a single chance or becoming 3rd game that is ever played in tournaments.

The company only just digging a deeper grave, and if they don't anything from bringing important franchises like Mega Man back (kinda like they did with Strider), create something other than another SF game which is popular enough, should not expect high sales, and start changing their methods. Capcom will never raise and will get to the point of being bankrupted along with losing their positions or their IP.

FightDirty said on October 7, 2014 at 2:03 p.m.

Ono told you guys what you need to do. You've got to open up them wallets. Send Capcom your paychecks for the next two years and politely ask for DS and they might think about allowing you to buy another HD version of an old DS game. Sell enough of that and perhaps DS will get Resurrected.

What? Not willing to do all of that? Well, we hope you like the new SF, Alpha or CvS game because you killed DS. Thanks a lot ingrates. Kappa

jme said on October 7, 2014 at 2:05 p.m.

I guess they didnt factor in the obvious fact that no one actually asked for old darkrstalkers. We asked for a NEW game. They didnt gauge the sales toof hd remix and mvc2 to make sf4 and mvc3. They just did it. Why is darkstalkers the only one getting this backwards treatment? Remember "Scary Movie" with the wayan family? The scene where cindy gives the homeless guy a sandwich? Yeah, thats this situation here. We're the homeless guy we asked for a dollar(ds4) and cindy (capcom) gives a sandwich instead (ds ressurection).

DunnDeal said on October 7, 2014 at 2:14 p.m.

Capcom needs to understand that we don't want to play the same 20 year old ass game. That's what PS1 and PS2 is for. Thats why everyone wants a new DS game. Smh. And even so, DSR still sold well.

J_Talbain said on October 7, 2014 at 2:21 p.m.

I'm ok with this as Vampire Savior is my all time favorite fighting game of all time so no matter what they do they can not make a better Vampire unless they patch the old but I don't see that happening and just so you guys know I am a big Darkstalkers fan and I got two copies the day it came out and if there was a steam copy I would get it too and if there was a donation drive for a new game I would start donating to it by taking out a few dollars ever week from my check because I want to see more people playing Darkstalkers.

Blackoshinomi said on October 7, 2014 at 2:23 p.m.

This capcom mindset is why there in the state there in ! All i have to say is I guess none wanted a new mega man nether right

LordProsper said on October 7, 2014 at 2:41 p.m.

Wait, what? Capcom has an IP that isn't Street Fighter, Monster Hunter, or Resident Evil? Wow, you learn something new every day.

Super_Shoto_Fighter_4 said on October 7, 2014 at 2:41 p.m.

If there were more 'True DS fans' like you there would be a new game. I can tell you're a die hard DS fan because you're happy with the original game in all it's 2d sprite glory. I think that's the passion that Capcom wanted to see instead of 'Just give me the next hd game. I never grew up with the original'.

AugustAPC said on October 7, 2014 at 2:56 p.m.

NoizyChild said on October 7, 2014 at 3 p.m.

Are you in denial or just trolling?

DSR did not sell well. At all. If it did, you'd be seeing development on a new Darkstalkers.

tktktk43 said on October 7, 2014 at 3:01 p.m.

How many times should fans buy the same game to warrant an update? Darkstalkers 3 has been out for PS3 for the longest time it was obvious that Darkstalkers Resurrection wasn't going to sell well. I would love to see Capcom change their mindset and take risks. I feel like every decision Capcom is making they are unsure of. Perhaps an overhaul of chief executives could jump start the company on the right path. Investing in an update for Darkstalkers is no different than investing in a new IP in terms of risk. But at least with Darkstalkers you know there is a fan base unlike a new IP which could totally bomb.

trackneed said on October 7, 2014 at 3:03 p.m.

To get SFxT better, I think etend a little the timer, make normals a little more damage (like +5 for LP/LK), nerf top tier, up bottom and that's all.

ryuhayabusa13 said on October 7, 2014 at 3:10 p.m.

Then the question is...which fighting game are they really working on?

Gotomaster said on October 7, 2014 at 3:18 p.m.

Capcom is only getting dumber and dumber and dumber by the day.

Dbarcelona said on October 7, 2014 at 3:25 p.m.

At least megaman got some new games(9&10) and don't come with the whole megaman argument cause that franchise got 2 characters in mvc3 you guys always say cut does any one actually know if Ryota Niitsuma ever thought of megaman he made Volnutt in tatsunoko but as far as we know he had a tendency of liking zero(a main character in a whole series of megaman games)

I think megaman fans are really vocal and sure most people would agree why isn't megaman in mvc3 but maybe if the game had sold more we would have seen more dlc characters but instead every one had a field day with ultimate being a cashcow everyone sh!tted on capcom and how money hungry they were when in reality it wasn't half as bad.

If dlc ever comes to smash4 the miniroty will be people talking trash about nintendo everone else will say how great of an idea it is quite the oposite for capcom.

capcom had made some nice new games but reality is a lot haven't sold we got mh and resident evil that and until capcom decides to take a new leap like with sf4.(but even thats unlikely)

“Until the day of release, Street Fighter 4 was an unwanted child,” Ono says, his tone at once sad and defiant. “Everyone in the company kept telling me: ‘Ono-san, seriously why are you persisting with this? You are using so much money, budget and resources. Why don’t we use it on something else, something that will make money?’ No-one had the intention of selling it, so I had virtually no help from other departments – they were all reluctant, right up to the day of release.”

RedRapperSux said on October 7, 2014 at 3:30 p.m.

Stop releasing old games with a cheap HD filter to a new generation of fighting game players then. The fact they used that to judge interest is absolutely ridiculous. I know for a fact if they released a brand new Dark Stalkers people would buy it and play it.

Dbarcelona said on October 7, 2014 at 3:31 p.m.

I advice everyone to read this and thank ono

Existent said on October 7, 2014 at 3:39 p.m.

"That" franchise needs to get its ass in gear and strike while the iron is hot.

Existent said on October 7, 2014 at 3:46 p.m.

Didn't HD Remix release just a few months before 4?
I don't its sales influenced anything in that particular case.

ITALIANODELPUEBLO said on October 7, 2014 at 3:47 p.m.

DunnDeal said on October 7, 2014 at 3:49 p.m.

It DID sell well to be that old. And im pretty sure most of those people who bought the game did it out of support for a new DS. Did they think selling a 20 year old game for $20 was really gonna hit cod numbers?

Dimensional said on October 7, 2014 at 4:03 p.m.

I dont get that last part Darkstalkers is a franchise with a following sure it may be small but its an established product and yet its to risky to put out? While Sega is putting out an unproven IP which they obviously expect to make money on yes the characters may be known and will help drive sales but its not going to be a massive seller yet they seem to have made them anyway.

Then theres companies like French Bread with UNIEL a new IP in a niche genre hardly going to break sales records and yet as far as I know they seem to make money from it but apparently budgeting for a games intended sales seems beyond capcom its a fighter you dont have to spend hundreds of millions to make it look and play good.

And thats not even touching the ah the re-re-re release didnt sell well so a new one wont sell logic reasoning completely ignoring all other factors.

I would love to know what their expectations were for Darkstalkers Resurrection because that 4 million is a figure that is obviously pulled out of his ass but it does seem like Capcom had set ridiculous sales expectations either so they could say yup see wouldnt be profitable because they had no plans to make the games at all anyway or they could see it would make a profit but just not enough for their liking. Only on the rare chance that it hit their ludicrous target would they reconsider.

Blackoshinomi said on October 7, 2014 at 4:04 p.m.

I wouldn't even give him the time! He wants no game to succeed by capcom but mvc3 or SFIV

nightmaresteam said on October 7, 2014 at 4:05 p.m.

Would be nice if Ono posted the hypothetical change log for SFXTK for the possible patch

ScytheWP said on October 7, 2014 at 4:15 p.m.

The opinions here are baffling. If sales numbers of a previous game are the only way to determine if a new game is worth making, why did Street Fighter 2 get made? SF1 was hailed as sh*t, garbage that I wouldn't waste a quarter on for 1000 plays.

As a matter of fact, how could a new franchise ever get started? Without sales numbers of something before it, it seems like we should never get anything new again.

bojack13 said on October 7, 2014 at 4:27 p.m.

"No Darkstalkers sequel" is no surprise at all to myself and anyone else who knows how Capcom works. We knew the second they announced that their re-re-re-re-re-release of the same Darkstalkers games we've had since the ps didn't sell well that there'd be no more Darkstalkers games.

I feel sorry for anyone who still believed in Capcom up until now but it's good that you guys can move on.

mistersnowflake said on October 7, 2014 at 4:30 p.m.

"For instance, if a game doesn't sell over 2 million copies, then we'd have to put the brakes on any plans for a sequel. All that means is that we weren't capable enough. And all we can do after that is to reflect on the experience, take what we can learn from it, and try to apply those lessons on some other title."

Idk how i feel about that i understand where's he's coming from but at the same time they could use that experience to make the sequel, itll be a risk but hey why not.

Zanpakto said on October 7, 2014 at 4:30 p.m.

If they to patch sfxt it needs to update that the competitive community will enjoy as well viewing aspect wise. It has to be a major update if not it won't survive very long.
These Updates should included
Major Graphic and art style change including improvement in colors which are dull in sfxt.
Shorten the stages.
One Disc all Dlc's to avoid tournament problems
Faster gameplay = Faster walkspeed , reduce frames on moves should help.
Boost chains adjusted or remove.
Some improvement to gameplay mechanics.
Juggle potential reduce or adjusted.
Balance patch.
Gems adjusted or remove.
1 vs 1 mode just in case 2 vs 2 fails.
Alot more other changes.

Strider_Hien said on October 7, 2014 at 4:31 p.m.

Well,there's nothing to do in regards to DS.I've supported the DS:R release,but it wasn't enough.:( Oh well..... Isn't "that" franchise Virtua Fighter?!?!? >_>

BumbleBrady said on October 7, 2014 at 4:31 p.m.

The game sold well. It doesn't have to sell exceptionally well to gain profits from it. Capcom didn't lose money from it. So yes, it is a bad business decision. There's no legitimate reason Capcom isn't giving out the fighters their fanbase wants.

FightDirty said on October 7, 2014 at 4:37 p.m.

That's because way back in the days of SF1 & SF2 game decisions weren't based strictly on sales figures, if at all. But in the modern era of gaming it's almost all about projected sales, developers don't have the freedom to take risks the way they could back in the 80's and 90's.

Not a hard concept to grasp actually, but I assume that you are still in high school. Not trying to be an ass, just saying ....

SAOTOME2U said on October 7, 2014 at 4:38 p.m.

*sigh* Well, can't say I'm surprised. But someone did say it earlier. Darkstalkers Resurrection could have been so much more. I don't wanna say it was bad release, but they released a lesser version than the ones already available. They could have at least just ported over Vampire Collection and translated everything to English. I know some people say Darkstalkers 1 wasn't necessary, but still at least it had all versions. I even lobbied for them to put in the "Saturn" dipswitch option to let us mix up the Darkstalkers 1 and 2 music. But they released the PS1 vers. of DS3, then DS1, and then Resurrection? I honestly don't know why Capcom did it this way, and have said before, that I really don't understand why they make some of the decisions they do in recent years. I love the DS series more than SF, and it's sad to hear the series is all but dead now. Sad tha it ends this way, with (in my opinion) a half finished version of a true collection that turned out to be Resurrection.

Dbarcelona said on October 7, 2014 at 4:48 p.m.

I credit that to video game development inflation people always talk about how much money it takes to make a game yet rarely talk about what it takes to make a game.

Capcom were nervous about pouring too much money into the development for a sequel. Inafune and his team, determined to get their ideas onto a cartridge, decided to go ahead and make a second game while working on other projects at the same time. Although Mega Man 2 was created in little more than 12 weeks(!!!!) or so, the gamble paid off: as well as selling about 1.5million copies, Mega Man 2 (1988) was a critical and cult hit, and its fast-paced platform action and brutal difficulty level.

capcoms best series are always backed up by a person that believed in what he was making not by the company sadly.

ScytheWP said on October 7, 2014 at 4:54 p.m.

Well I'm glad there's still jerk offs on the comment sections.

Why did Asura's Wrath get made? There was nothing backing it up and what could be seen as belittling buddhism is very risky. It seems like they're willing to take risks, they're just being greedy at this point.

If Capcom knows anything, it's how to sell hype. Just sell the hype for the new DS and draw casuals and a new crowd in...it's not hard.

Phynx said on October 7, 2014 at 4:59 p.m.

It's Squeenix levels of retarded to expect a rerelease to sell over 2 million. Especially when they already had rereleases sitting on PSN, previously ported to PSP, etc. You can't honestly expect people to shell out for the same game that many times.

Junknown said on October 7, 2014 at 5:01 p.m.

I really like to know they're expectations as well

Raiden365 said on October 7, 2014 at 5:01 p.m.

its been real vampire. love ya to death.(waits for xrd)

zeroroute said on October 7, 2014 at 5:04 p.m.

ono is the one truly trolling here.

Phynx said on October 7, 2014 at 5:05 p.m.

That does confirm that DmC won't be getting a sequel, thankfully.

FightDirty said on October 7, 2014 at 5:17 p.m.

Just "sell the hype"? Easy as that, you say. Well why doesn't Capcom sell fairy dust and rainbows? All they need to do is hype it up! LOL! That's too funny.

We are talking about a multi-million dollar company, why would they spend the time and resources to make a game that would likely only net them a couple of million dollars - and that's being optimistic. It's just as likely that they would break even or have a net loss. I have nothing against Dark Stalkers but I understand business and can see where they are coming from. They could take a risk and it become a smash hit. Unfortunately they've decided it isn't a worthwhile risk based on sales of the HD releases. If they made a DS4 I would buy it no doubt, but I guess there just aren't enough of us to generate acceptable sales figures.

ScytheWP said on October 7, 2014 at 5:40 p.m.

I don't give a f*ck about Tekken and I purchased SxT...because it was marketed so well. It really is that easy, especially when the casual market is so gigantic today.

Batmang said on October 7, 2014 at 5:48 p.m.

So basically all that Capcom has left is SF as far as fighting games go, since Marvel's out of the question and Darkstalkers are confirmed dead. And if DS is dead, you can forget about pretty much any of the other classic Capcom (non SF) fighters getting a revival. If SF5 is unsuccessful, then that's it for Capcom fighters. At least, for a while.

Batsu said on October 7, 2014 at 6:11 p.m.

All this talk about "business", all of you, quite literally, know *less* than nothing about any sort of industry, if I am to go by the comments under this particular piece. You not only no nothing on the subject, you say things at are factually incorrect.

I say this as a both an investor and a fan of gaming. Capcom not creating a new Darkstalkers is a terrible-awful decision. If any of you had actual money on the line driven by the success of today's industry, you would know this. Even people who are fans of the series, like myself, are making asinine-silly comments on this issue. The only people who've mad any sense are those who brought up the fact that there are games being made that aren't sequels. And they aren't even correct, they're just "on to something".

The fact is, today's market is driven by things *becoming* popular, not things already being popular. Sequels are not selling, by in large. New and/or innovation is the name of the game, at this point in time. This isn't to say that sequels are all under preforming, but they are all selling less and less than they're past installments and US and European companies are beginning to take notice. For a sequel to a game that has already had 'multiple' titles in the past to meet sales expectations, the game has to be very-very-very good. I can tell you that the only sequel to surpass sales expectations, that was also AAA release was GTAV. Even titles like CoD, GoW, GrsoW, Maddned, Live, and The 2Ks are selling considerably less that they used to and were expected.

Darskatlkers and Capcom had a unique situation in that Darkstalkers 3 was so old, yet at the same time had such rich-little-hidden nuggets of genius tucked all over the series that Capcom was in a situation where they could have brought back a well loved but little known classic and really innovated. They could have brought back Darkstalkers and done almost anything they wanted to do with it and no consumer would be none-the-wiser, besides its cult following.

There reasons why games like Destiny and Watch Dogs are breaking records. People don't care about "name" and "history" when it comes to entertainment in the modern era, people just want it to look good, be good, and most of all...entertaining. I can tell you one thing, the days of Street Fighter getting by on its name is over. After Capcom's failures to consumers in the fighting game genre and across the board already have potential gamers on edge, Street Fighter V or whatever Versus game they decide to shove Ryu in better be damn good and have 10s across the board form an absurd amount publications or its going to be a commercial failure.

At this point, another game with Ryu in it would be a greater risk than a brand new Red Earth.

Sage_Liebert said on October 7, 2014 at 6:30 p.m.

I would say darkstalkers would sale 300,000 units. Casuals aren't going to buy this game the same way they do with street fighter.

TorTorVega said on October 7, 2014 at 7:02 p.m.

You're mistaken. Consumers DO care about the history of a game. They care more about the history of a game and how the game looks than how good the game actually is. A game that looks good (is advertised heavily with an emphasis on the bullshots) AND has history will sell well. A game without history but is advertised heavily will also sell well. Neither has to actually be good, you give a great example of that in Destiny and Watch Dogs. Neither of those is actually good, but they sold well because they were crammed down our throats through massive advertising campaigns. :)

tommills83 said on October 7, 2014 at 7:06 p.m.

I already have Vampire Savior on the Sega Saturn, which lets you use Donovan, Huitzil (Phobos) and Pyron with the existing cast. Unfortunately, this was not the version used for DS:R, so I was not prepared to buy the game again, sacrificing those match-ups for online.

I waited for them to add those 3 characters to the Vampire Savior line-up in DS:R (not too bothered about D, who was added for Darkstalkers Collection on PS2, but would've been nice to have). I know they were added to the arcade version, Vampire Savior 2 at the expense of REMOVING J.Talbain (Gallon), Aulbath (Rikuo) and Sasquatch (even 90s Capcom made some HORRIBLE decisions...). I also realize that there were playable in DS:R in Darkstalkers 2, but that's not really the same thing AT ALL. Jedah vs. Donovan in DS:R? Not gonna happen.

So when Capcom finally confirmed there were no plans to add those characters, that was the final nail in the coffin for me. This dogmatic adherence to "arcade perfection" left a lot of fans alienated and disappointed, and cost them much-needed sales. There was a petition on Capcom Unity but I guess they didn't take much notice.

To be fair, the points about it not being a big enough franchise to warrant a full-blown, last/current-gen sequel are quite sound. I wouldn't want them to do a cheap hash-job because they couldn't spare the budget to do it justice. I'll always have my Saturn version (no online though...).

rosy said on October 7, 2014 at 7:07 p.m.

Agree. If it wasn't for Ono the street fighter series already dead like DS.

Load more comments