Yoshinori Ono tells us the Street Fighter X Tekken changes Capcom would make if they had the budget to put out another update

Posted by Cheng Kai 'KarbyP' Sim • November 2, 2014 at 9:50 p.m. PST

Capcom corporate officer Yoshinori Ono mentioned in an earlier interview with Famitsu's Ayana Tsubaki that if he were able to allot slightly more budget to Street Fighter X Tekken, he would love to put out another update for the game. He even said that the development team has got some ideas on what they'd like to change.

Back when we translated his thoughts on the matter in that interview, we found his comment to be quite the surprise. After all, it's been a fairly long amount of time since Street Fighter X Tekken has been spoken about in the limelight. I don't think anybody was even under the impression that we'd ever live to see another update to the game.

So when Sony Computer Entertainment Hong Kong (Singapore branch) arranged for us to interview Yoshinori Ono ourselves at GameStart Asia 2014 in Singapore, we naturally had to press the man -- one of the most esteemed public faces of Capcom -- for more details about such a potential SFxT update, and how possible it would be for Capcom to approve it (for the sake of all you SFxT fans out there... anyone?).

KarbyP: In your interview with Ayana Tsubaki on Famitsu, you said that if you could allocate more budget to the development of Street Fighter X Tekken, you'd like to put out another update for the game. Is that still a possibility at this point in time? And regardless of whether or not it's possible, could you share with us what you'd like to change in such an update?

Yoshinori Ono: Ah... well first of all, with regards to what I said about if we had more budget, what I meant was, if we could get an additional US$3 million, we'll do it.

(The whole room erupted in laughter)

Sony Computer Entertainment Hong Kong's translator: (Checking that she heard it correctly) US$3 million dollars?

Ono: Yes, if we could get US$3 million dollars.

As for what we'd like to do if we could update the game... firstly, we'd like to do another round of balance changes to the characters.

Next, we'd also love to change the way gems are used in the game. We've got some ideas on how to change them that we'd really love to implement, and we think that if we could implement these ideas in the right manner, there's a very good chance that we will be able to make the game very interesting and fun for a lot of people.

[Now that I've said this,] Sony is probably going to wire the US$3 million to my bank account tomorrow, I believe.

(The room once again erupts in laughter)

Ono: And if I really see the money there in my bank account... I think I'll be able to resign from Capcom in quick fashion.

As usual, Ono jests more than he's willing to reveal -- but it certainly sounds like he's dropped us a hint or two about the situation.

Judging from the sound of it, there's no mistaking that the development team behind Street Fighter X Tekken would absolutely love to rebalance the game one more time, and change the way gems are used in gameplay.

But don't hold your breath waiting for such an update patch. Ono's jokes about running away with the US$3 million -- if somebody really would wire him the money to make such an update -- highly suggests that the situation isn't something that he or anyone could truly change.

Or at least, that's what we think. Of course, there's a chance that our analysis of Ono's comments could be completely wrong, and that Capcom would literally approve an update to Street Fighter X Tekken the very moment US$3 million were to fall from the sky -- or raised from the fans -- to fund it.

All five of you reading this right now.

Comments

SadisticSamurai said on November 2, 2014 at 9:56 p.m.

InB4 update MAHVEL instead of xTekken.

DeteKt said on November 2, 2014 at 9:57 p.m.

Gems are a good idea that didn't play out. Remove gems completely and give the game a little rebalance and it'll be golden. Doesn't cost 3 Million to disable gems.

NoizyChild said on November 2, 2014 at 9:59 p.m.

You're right.

Go to your preset gem slots and remove all gems.

Bam, you just saved $3 million.

NoizyChild said on November 2, 2014 at 10:03 p.m.

On topic: I'm willing to bet that the majority of people hating on gems don't even know why they hate them.

I literally see no problems with a mechanic that can change the way you play your character. Having a choice between playing up Heihachi's strength (damage output) or remedying his weakness (slow walkspeed) isn't an issue at all. People just love to hate anything that isn't reminiscent of Super Turbo or MVC2.

MuffinMan said on November 2, 2014 at 10:04 p.m.

Unfortunately, Ono's comments just tell me that the team has no idea what made SFxT unappealing. Gems are minute when compared to stage sizes, boost-chain system, tech rolls, and throws.

That is only my opinion though. Maybe others would be happy with three million dollars being spent on gems and character balance.

KarbyP said on November 2, 2014 at 10:07 p.m.

I agree. The gems mechanic itself isn't the problem. It's the way they were implemented.

Ono himself has said that they made a mistake in the way gems were implemented. The end result was too close to a pay-to-win structure for comfort.

capra said on November 2, 2014 at 10:09 p.m.

NoizyChild said on November 2, 2014 at 10:11 p.m.

Those are what made the game unique. If you want SF4, it's available now at every major retailer.

Stop trying to turn new games and ideas into existing ones.

tktktk43 said on November 2, 2014 at 10:12 p.m.

100% gem system removal. Increase hitstun to reduce long timer scam combos. Increase damage and balance tweaks if the community supports the game after the initial changes. But honestly, the whole Tekken side I'm not really a fan of. Capcom's goal was to lure in Tekken fans but what actually happened was that Capcom fans rejected the game and Tekken fans dislike the fighting system. I would much rather they just let this game die peacefully and use the resource elsewhere. I rather they add more content for SFIV than SFxTK at this point to be honest. SFxTK's flame has long been blown out. The game never crosses my mind until today; reading this post. They need more than 3 million if they want to make it successful.

NoizyChild said on November 2, 2014 at 10:13 p.m.

In that sense, I understand.

Just make the paid gems free. Problem solved.

To be quite honest, the majority of people that hate on the game don't even know why they hate it. It was just the cool thing to do.

Rising_Jaguar said on November 2, 2014 at 10:21 p.m.

make the paid gems free? how do you think those who've paid for them will feel?

NoizyChild said on November 2, 2014 at 10:22 p.m.

Considering hardly anybody bought them, I'm sure not many people would mind.

The only ones I "bought" came with the Special Edition.

The gem hate is honestly way overblown.

MissBimbo said on November 2, 2014 at 10:27 p.m.

Just make SFxT 2 with the Groove system in CvS2

BigFleccs said on November 2, 2014 at 10:40 p.m.

Just let the turd rest in piss.

Shinebox said on November 2, 2014 at 10:41 p.m.

This is not related. Karby Topanga A league updated their site.http://topanga.co.jp/topanga_league4A/

Uryo using Chun Li!

rlt4life said on November 2, 2014 at 10:45 p.m.

I love the game but honestly I understand why people can't stand it in the least. Fought against Marshall Law..excuse me, Marshall " Try to jump in on me and see what happens" Law. And hell, you don't even need to do that much to eat a pretty nasty combo. It takes an ungodly amount of patience and fishing for anything to really happen in most cases.

I'd love for them to play around with it some more but I've long since accepted what the game is. 2013 is still miles better than Vanilla SFxT, but I'd rather them put that 3 million towards some new ventures.

AugustAPC said on November 2, 2014 at 10:48 p.m.

Nothing can bring this game back to the tournament scene other than Capcom personally funding huge pots for it.

The negativity comes from the sh*tty business practices that are smeared all over the game. The actual game itself is great.

Surprised about Ono joking about running away with the three million. I figured he'd be pretty damn well off, considering his position, despite the state of Capcom's finances as a company.

But yea, any money put into SFxT would be a waste at this point. The game is too mired in sh*t. Commit the money to the next big fighting game, instead of trying to wipe the stink off this old one.

Smorgasboard said on November 2, 2014 at 10:48 p.m.

SFxT needs to refine on its unique ideas instead of relying on ideas from other games.

That said, gems are still far away from being good. But if done right, it could be a selling point.

Sasuga said on November 2, 2014 at 10:59 p.m.

They can update all they want, the haters are still gonna hate.

Assassin4than said on November 2, 2014 at 11:09 p.m.

You seem to just be making large, general, sweeping statements that haven't been fact checked. How would you know that the majority of the playerbase that dislikes the game has NO IDEA why they do.

Gems that increased character powers were purchaseable meaning people who had paid (may have) had an advantage over those who didn't pay extra. For a fighting game which is meant to aim to be as balanced as possible this obviously caused a lot of issues. Also there were a few infinites and game breaking bugs that weren't tested and were found shortly after release (Flying megaman and time-stop rolento come to mind). To add to that, many games ended up with timeouts because the clock speed didn't account for the fact that you may be required to defeat 199% of a health bar to actually net a win.

Back on topic (partially), making the paid gems free is a bad move because people have paid to get that advantage and having it become free means they spent MORE money for the SAME product as the people who didn't buy the gems.

I think this game could do with an update but I just don't think it will get much attention even with an update compared to other more successful fighters from the Capcom range.

DunnDeal said on November 2, 2014 at 11:11 p.m.

They should've made the mood of the game a lot Darker. The system mechanics are great but the game itself just seems too goofy in my opinion. Its The stages, the music, and it's way too colorful. It seems like they used every Hue in the color wheel in this game.

yes4me said on November 2, 2014 at 11:12 p.m.

How much did SF4 and SFvsTK cost?

unseenpotential01 said on November 2, 2014 at 11:21 p.m.

FASTER OVERALL GAME PLAY PLEASE!!!! Balance this broken roster, decrease hit freeze on block and do something about crappy mash jab into 50% damage.... And I will be happy...

And akward hitboxes too... :>

Skinny_Puppy said on November 2, 2014 at 11:29 p.m.

SFXT is done. I could think of a million more ways to improve/augment Capcom's fighting roster than an SFXT update. Please move on.

PurplePonyJotaro said on November 2, 2014 at 11:46 p.m.

Toss this game in a landfill along with Capcom and Ono.

strider_hiryu973 said on November 2, 2014 at 11:47 p.m.

for me its gem and metric color of entire game , this game is too fluor , too much effect fluor color

Caliban said on November 3, 2014 at 12:05 a.m.

use the money to make online fighting games better for america, nobody cares about jab x tekken. just let it go

ScS_blodiasalt said on November 3, 2014 at 12:09 a.m.

*sigh*...this bs again. This mindless bs again. *rant start*

Lets be completely honest. This is a good game. A REALLY good game. When I played this game, I played with a friend as to me, this game is MUCH MORE FUN WITH A TEAM MATE THAN 1V1. Say what you want, its a complete truth that is undebatable. You want proof? Ok fine;

Step 1: Go to training room
Step 2: Pick ANY TWO characters. Any will do. Make sure you're offline so that its 1v1.
Step 3: Activate Cross Assault.
Step 4: Watch as the AI controlled character does nothing but stupid random crap, which doesn't allow for setups AT ALL.

If you can't see why the game would be much better as a 2v2 game, then there is no hope for you. When a near death set up can be found with Rolento x Julia using CROSS ASSAULT that NO ONE EVEN KNEW ABOUT, that tells me that the game wasn't even explored, both by the FGC and this game's community. This set up (which we found 5 different ways to go into) was discovered by both of us DAY 3 INTO THE GAME. This game has the potential to OUT HYPE Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 AND Ultra Street Fighter 4. But everyone would rather play this game 1v1, and that's what killed this game for me and my friend.

The reasons the majority of the FGC fights against this game are very simple, stupid, and childish (these 3 words describe the FGC in general so go figure). And it made me understand why Juicebox quit playing SF4.

Reason 1: Gems. "If you take out gems completely, this game will be good and I'll play it." is the bs I hear the most regarding "why this game isn't good." Yet, none of these fools can't even explain WHY they hate the gem system. We know why Capcom implemented the gem system. They've told us; to get beginners into this game. For a community that's so niche that they struggle to get new comers into this game, this community sure did fight against gems. Were gems implemented in the correct way? No. But the fix is the community's RESPONSIBILITY TO CORRECT/EDIT, NOT CAPCOM'S. But hey, its much easier to hate then to suggest ways to fix it.

Reason 2: The DLC "fiasco". And I quoted "fiasco" as I don't see it as that big a deal. People hated on Capcom for their "corrupt DLC practices" yet these same fools will go out and buy the next Ubisoft, Activision, and/or Electronic Arts games AND PRAISE THEM. These 3 companies have EVEN WORSE DLC PRACTICES THAN CAPCOM. One that comes to my head right now is the online pass. You have to pay for the game (new or used, so anywhere from $35.99 to $59.99 USD) PLUS an extra $10 USD JUST TO PLAY ONLINE. These companies hate used game sells so much that they sat down and thought of a way to make some kind of profit off used game sells as these companies can not make good games anymore (and they STILL GET SUPPORT). Or well, games that wouldn't warrant a trade-in toward a game that's actually good and deserves your attention.

ScS_blodiasalt said on November 3, 2014 at 12:09 a.m.

cont'd from post 28

Reason 3: People don't want to see their already established pro players lose. We all have pro's that we like watching. I have 11 and I'll list them; YOSSAN, Melo, Daigo, Uru Mori San, Reiketsu, -6, Mike Ross, Gootecks, Snake Eyez, Juicebox, and Alex Valle. I hate to see these guys lose but it happens. People lose. No one always wins. The FGC in general can not, and refuses to accept that. Especially if its a "no name" no one has ever heard of.

Reason 4: This game isn't Street Fighter 4 with Tekken characters added to it. This is, in my honest opinion, why people hate this game the most. There's no FADCs into cross-ups into mix-ups into option selects into "I know how to exploit the game better than you and that's why I won even though you're a better player than me" bs. And that's the "problem" with this game. There's no bs.

The only bs that surrounds this game are the reasons that people hate this game. I don't care if this post is read or not. But until the FGC recognizes this problem, it will never grow. This will also require the FGC to grow up, which will never happen. And that's anothe complete truth that is undebatable.

ScS_blodiasalt said on November 3, 2014 at 12:10 a.m.

sorry about the double post.

AlphaLegend said on November 3, 2014 at 12:16 a.m.

I would rather see another update to the SF4 series...especially since USF4 sold very well!

ryuhayabusa13 said on November 3, 2014 at 12:22 a.m.

The only gems I liked were the ones in pocket fighter. that's as far as I go.

J said on November 3, 2014 at 12:45 a.m.

I like SFxT a lot, but I'd rather see the hypothetical money go to a possible (but unlikely) CvS3 or new Rival Schools.

TECHiSOBA said on November 3, 2014 at 12:57 a.m.

- slow down the time clock, still getting a lot of time overs
- stop or slow time clock on animations of supers, cross arts, and throws
- online ranked and endless mode with no gems mode
- balance some of the gems, specially the paid ones
- major overhaul balance on the whole roster
- major fix on characters hit box and hurt box
- need to nerf or tone down the juggle system, specially the air to air counter
- major fix overhaul on the net code of this game, specially on ps3/psn
- need to nerf or tone down alpha counter
- need to nerf or tone down raw launcher
- need a lot fixes on some of the game mechanics

honestly spent that $3mil on the next SFxT or SFV or Rival Schools or CvS3 or DarkStalkers

Bui said on November 3, 2014 at 1:07 a.m.

The same way anyone else would feel when someone buys a game at 10-20 dollars instead of the initial 60 dollar release price.

GammaChemical said on November 3, 2014 at 1:17 a.m.

CrimsonRex said on November 3, 2014 at 1:27 a.m.

This, x A Million.

Eternal said on November 3, 2014 at 1:35 a.m.

Remove ABC entirely. Give all SF characters 1-3 unique to them chains that they can end with a launcher manually.

Increase walk speeds universally with an emphasis on some of the slower characters. All of the top tiers are highly mobile either through walk speed or the ability to move large distances quickly with unique moves + specials.

Add more high low options to the SF cast, they are gimped as hell in that regard for most of them.

Increase pushback on block for lights.

Adjust throw ranges.

Adjust the distance requirements on normals, too many characters without the ability to cancel far standing or crouching normals suffer because they can only do 1jab and can't link to a heavy normal and are forced to do ABC combos.

Increase damage on pokes. No more of this universal damage value BS. Abel's farHP shouldn't be 90 damage it should be ~110. Too many characters who don't have high juggle options or good far cancelable normals got screwed over compared to other characters.

Normalize the JP for the handful of characters who don't have it. There is no reason for Balrog or Cody to have such low juggle potential on random normals while Jin or Kazuya has the standard 1JP for lights 2for mids and 3 for heavies.

Un nerf Cody's knife normals and crLK startup. Nerfing crLK recovery and making his safe chains unsafe was all that was needed. There was no reason to nerf his knife normals AT ALL if anything they needed buffs so he could link out of a light attack. crLK was dumb only because of safe chains + being 0F on block +3F on hit with that much reach. It was over nerfed but it was pretty dumb before.

Buff Rolento's ability to link out of stuff, he got a bit over nerfed.

Kidenn said on November 3, 2014 at 1:40 a.m.

Do it Ono !

Cardinair said on November 3, 2014 at 2:15 a.m.

I cannot give your posts enough likes.

DiegoBrando said on November 3, 2014 at 2:32 a.m.

For me personally, the reasons why I didn't like the game were two.

First, it felt too similar to SF4 visually, while having clunkier gameplay and all the novelties felt forced. I don't think removing gems would solve anything. Imo gems shuld have been expanded upon and made a central point of the game. As it is now, it feels like your playing a clunkier SF with a few gimmicks.

Second, I don't know if that's just me, but playing the game really hurt my eyes. Everything had this bright overlay. Maybe it's just me, but I couldn't play the game for long because of it.

Mike_Z said on November 3, 2014 at 2:40 a.m.

I'm surprised people aren't more surprised about $3m for a patch.

Deneb said on November 3, 2014 at 2:45 a.m.

Silly Ono, all we wanted was Street Fighter crossed with Tekken. Still doesn't get it. Unless you're a random fan of gems, no one ever wanted gems in the first place. It isn't SF and it isn't Tekken and if you want to call it a new game, change the title.
The game will never be seen as new or anything different as long as gems are there. The fact that Capcom can't admit it was a poor idea for a game with SF in the title says a lot when reality is proof yelling in their collective face.

You want to make a new version that will sell to those that wasted money on SFxT, simple. Remove everything non-SF and non-Tekken, first. That's the obvious starting pt. As it is, it isn't either game or an amalgam and that's part of the problem aside from what ppl think are business practice issues(Sorry, if gems were always free, they would still be a silly idea for SF).

Ono should do a kickstarter for a real SF/Tekken mash up. I'd put money into that but no way do I want to see money spent continuing in the wrong direction. They don't even know the game failed on many levels, not just one. Probably every new thing that was added that wasn't Tekken or SF was a downgrade from real SF games. Boost chains, mindless juggles and switch outs, gems, marvel super motions instead of SF super motions, really poorly thought out throw system, the list goes on.

Still, if making up for anything were the plan, removing gems would be the first priority. Who else wants those that doesn't already like the game? smh obvious.

YorKeY said on November 3, 2014 at 2:46 a.m.

1. The game would be alive for a few months then would die again.

2. Rebalance, changing and adding game mechanics sounds nice. They should also make all the DLC locked characters free too with the update.

3. Use that money for UMvC3 instead O_O and work something out with Disney. Imagine a "fair Vergil" and a stronger Jill/HsienKo? Or a nerfed level 2 and 3 X factor? Dreams...

Gotomaster said on November 3, 2014 at 2:48 a.m.

I admire your attempt to defend Sfxt, but you've made a few wrong assumptions.

The team thing was already tried, and failed to work at Tournaments. This is due to the biggest flaw of the game, the time to damage ratio. The amount of damage you do in this game doesn't warrant the same clock speed as Street Fighter 4. Adopting the TT2 style of 2v2 was a great start, but more should have been done to make sure defense wasn't as simple, since this is a 2d game, movement is infinitely easier, so timer scamming people is all too easy. That's the game's bs.

As for the DLC practices, yes those are worse, but I can ell you they are not praised, its just that the player base for those games under those companies tents have grown, whereas Sfxt did not get a playerbase. Sure you could say the Tekken and Street Fighter communities served as the base audience, but the game was too Street Fighter for the Tekken guys to take seriously, and not different enough, yet at the same time too different from Sf4 to warrant the attention from the SF guys(look to the first paragraph).

I do agree there is blind hate for this game that shouldn't have existed, and as it is now, it is a solid game, but it was not when it first launched, it was a mess of a game, and it was too little too late for the game at the time the patch came out. The sensible folks moreso don't feel all that excited to play it, and they have the right to feel like that, as the only reason we play these games is because we have fun. People shouldn't oblige themselves to play something that doesn't interest them.

slickn4 said on November 3, 2014 at 3:06 a.m.

1) Change camera orientation for normal throws to resemble the traditional approach
2) Remove crouch teching
3) Remove cross assault mechanic
4) Modify gems into a better (regarding what you do for gems) and simpler system (only ever really should be damage boost). small example:

Offense #1: Score an overhead; +10% damage for 10 seconds.
Offense #2: Score a low; +10% damage for 10 seconds.
Offense #3: Score a counter-hit; +10% damage for 5 seconds.
Defense #1: Tech a throw; +5% damage for 20 seconds.
Defense #2: Defend a cross-up; +15% damage for 10 seconds.

5) Reduce hitstop on blockstuns of normals and not specials or supers.
6) Add 2-3f of hitstop on trades.
7) Remove ability to cross-up the corner.
8) Rework scaling to make lights scale more.
9) Add an extra universal chain: LLMH while keeping the current LMH and MH chains. This would just be for an extra hit to confirm with while adding some more scaling in trade.
10) Remove pandora mode.
11) Increase overall damage universally by 10-15%
12) Remove the infinite and rebalanced characters.

Skaz9000 said on November 3, 2014 at 3:21 a.m.

$3,000,000.00 sounds like a lot for balance changes and an undisclosed change to the gem system. They oughtta include a new character or two with that.

Unless the gem system change also makes all the gems available for free, changes to them will only be ignored, and hated on further by the haters.

Otherwise, the only other major change needed in my opinion is increased time limit, and stopping the timer during cinematic Super/Cross arts and perhaps during Pandora.

ibukkeke said on November 3, 2014 at 3:21 a.m.

this.

Snorlaxin said on November 3, 2014 at 3:34 a.m.

It's not the gems that made the game unappealing, it was the game play. Animations and movement felt clunky like it was mortal kombat. And those abc combos...

That_guy_who_plays_DOA said on November 3, 2014 at 3:42 a.m.

Oh god. Let it go, game had it's chance. We're at next gen now make a game for one of those.

MrEibmoz said on November 3, 2014 at 3:59 a.m.

Its a great game I had a lot of fun with but yeah, I echo ditch gems and replace it with a CvS style system if you must have something but even then I'd prefer it just feck off.

Its a far more enjoyable game (to me) than Marvel is, both to play and to watch.

alphachimp said on November 3, 2014 at 4:03 a.m.

With that kind of budget it seems like Capcom is looking to do more than what was mentioned in this article..

Ariesno said on November 3, 2014 at 4:10 a.m.

I hope for a patch SFxT an a STREET X TEKKEN 2 for PS4

Ett said on November 3, 2014 at 4:18 a.m.

They cant even get Ultra right. pack it up capcom.

BlackOnyxThunder said on November 3, 2014 at 4:20 a.m.

"Oh, there ain't no rest for the wicked, money don't grow on trees."

"I got bills to pay, I got mouths to feed."

"There ain't nothin' in this world for free."

Well, maybe not mouths to feed, but you get the jist.

brandoman69 said on November 3, 2014 at 4:25 a.m.

Noizychild is a ragequitter, he is not in a position to talk about game balance:

EnsignHiro said on November 3, 2014 at 4:30 a.m.

No offense to anyone who does like it but I just cant get into it for my own personal reasons.

- I strongly disliked the boost combos as I felt it gave people with not so good execution an easier less creative way to combo and punish you.

- I understand it was mentioned above that some felt gems weren't a problem but I just hated the fact that ones that blocked and teched for you even existed. A complete turnoff.

- The online was so bad they implemented a roll back feature that could turn your winning match into a losing one. I really hope they never revive that in any future game period.

- The game actually had a ton of great tech in vanilla sf x tk but with the constant patching it mad me not want to even try relearning the characters I found to be fun since said things could no longer be performed.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but realize not everyone just hates simply to hate as there are completely understandable reasons why someone wouldnt like said game.

King_Kazma said on November 3, 2014 at 4:50 a.m.

This times a thousand. People decided they hated the Gem system way before they even tried it and stuck to their guns afterwards because that's just the way people are. The first version did have issues, but the FGC lends itself to a lot of echo-chamber mentality perpetuated by stream monsters, so even when so many well-known players said they liked the game, people just ignored it because that was easier to do than admit that they might have been wrong. The views and entrants went down so fast that it wasn't worth the time for someone like Justin or Ricky to keep practicing, and that was that. Such a shame... it wasn't going to take SFIV's place, but it could have been an interesting second game if people gave it a chance.

ItalianBoy said on November 3, 2014 at 5:01 a.m.

The problem for me was the gems system. I remember the match that make me completely stop playing SFXT was when a Steve Fox and Hwoarang player use the assist gems of auto block and auto grapple was so cheap and the little super meter that take those gems was like 1/4 or 1/8 of a meter. Remember I was so Piss Off that make a promise of never play this pay to win game. Still keeping that promise

Kidenn said on November 3, 2014 at 5:08 a.m.

When was The last time a 2vs2 tournament happened ? EVO 2012 ? Of course it wasn't good, the game didn't have one year back then. And stop complaining about the damage. It's actually high with many ways to deal them (gems, comboable overheads, damaging anti air ect)...

Kenshiro said on November 3, 2014 at 5:44 a.m.

"Such a shame... it wasn't going to take SFIV's place, but it could have been an interesting second game if people gave it a chance."

Yeah if you don't play anything other than Capcom fighters. This is complete BS, you shouldn't have to force yourself to like any and everything that is released by Capcom.

Kenshiro said on November 3, 2014 at 5:47 a.m.

Pretty sure it was Capcom that decided the new characters on the SF side of SFXT would be implemented into SFIV...along with the stages. And if you're not against their conclusion I feel this is a bit ironic of you if not downright hypocritical.

Offen said on November 3, 2014 at 6 a.m.

I would probably still play this if the netcode wasn't broken on PC.

Sasuga said on November 3, 2014 at 6:06 a.m.

Apples and pears are probably totally the same to you since they both grow on trees.

Adelflame said on November 3, 2014 at 6:07 a.m.

I guess capcom really feels bad about screwing up the game.
And i mean in a big way, and i kind of get it, the premise of sfxt was incredibly hype we were expecting the next big thing after cvs and they, just couldnt deliver it, from the poor roster selection (admit it a lot of IMPORTANT/FAN DEMANDED c hars were missing) the stupid "festive" setting of the game and the unnintersting story that it had just make the hard to be attached to.
People on capcom should take this guilt and try to crowfund the games update, that eill let em knoe how many people actually want to see and updated game, tjen get fan feedback s usf4 and get to work on really fixing the game.

SOyun said on November 3, 2014 at 6:15 a.m.

Hmmm 3 million for a patch.. Sounds a little too steep for me.

If I were him I would put money from my own account in order to fix that game no matter what. After all, is his face the one that is on one of the stages.

When I think of Ono, I think of SFXT and how his cockiness made him ignore what his customers wanted at that time.

I guess I can safely say that SFxT is the Ono's Daikatana.

Blackoshinomi said on November 3, 2014 at 6:21 a.m.

My issue with this game was two things the dumb ass abc combos and the gems that make you auto block I just hate when I play a fg and they have a none skill mechanics!

Next 3 mll for patch lol yea right ! I bet if they did a kickstarter fans would eat this up!

Gotomaster said on November 3, 2014 at 6:24 a.m.

The damage really isn't that much higher than Sf4 to accommodate two characters, especially considering defense and keepaway is easier in a 2d game compared to 3d games.

BlankaBeast said on November 3, 2014 at 6:44 a.m.

SFxT is MORE FUN to PLAY than any other fighting game out.

PerfidiousSinn said on November 3, 2014 at 6:44 a.m.

It doesn't need a patch IMO.

JIHADJOE said on November 3, 2014 at 6:46 a.m.

Im gonna stay away from the gem topic, but wow you can really see Ono is not a happy camper over at Capcom.

Existent said on November 3, 2014 at 6:52 a.m.

Hold on there cowboy, did you just say that it's the community's responsibility to fix gems and not Capcom's?
What the hell are you smoking? I agree with your general point of the game being somewhat unfairly overlooked but I call bullsh*t on that one.

shinra358 said on November 3, 2014 at 7 a.m.

No removal of auto-launch, no care.

Ralycer said on November 3, 2014 at 7:08 a.m.

I would like to see a Patch this game has lot potential although it doesn't need 3 millon to do so.

Kenshiro said on November 3, 2014 at 7:16 a.m.

Clever...but no not really since those characters can still be considered better in one game over their version in the other. You nor has anyone else who brings this up can admit Capcom gave up on a few aesthetics that would make SFXT unique.

Thanks for missing the point chulo.

Kenshiro said on November 3, 2014 at 7:18 a.m.

Then there should be a different banner than the one used all the time.

As far as I can tell he isn't the Joker so he should have more than one expression.

Dracos_Wrath said on November 3, 2014 at 7:23 a.m.

- I don't quite understand your first point. The boost combos don't only give people with bad execution a less creative way to combo, they also allow for pokes to be more powerful. Don't restrain your thinking to just the uses of the boost combos for the newcomers.

- I agree with your second point. I can get over gems that give you more damage while slowing you down, but those gems felt more like cheats than any other thing, kinda like the SP and AB control options in the mobile fighting games.

- The online was bad because the rollback implementation was RIDICULOUSLY bad, at least on the PC version. Rollback itself is actually the best system for us FG players because it gets rid of input delay, which is what causes combos to drop and all that stuff that shouldn't happen in an offline match. The best example of a great implementation of rollback may be GGPO. As long as the PING isn't sky high the match is ridiculously smooth. The real problems come when the PING is too high, with all those teleport problems and lag. The problem of SFxT (again, at least with my experience with the PC version) is that even on low PING you'd get all those problems.

- And Vanilla SFxT was AWFUL. With caps and all. People are still complaining about time overs, but it was just ridiculous before.

And I don't know what game you're talking about, but SFxT only had one big balance update and that was the 2013 one. The rest just got rid of some sound issues, infinites and other little things.

Taizuku said on November 3, 2014 at 7:26 a.m.

Honestly after the update SFxT is better than Ultra. Better than Marvel too. One of the best 2D fighters to come out in a while. It won't be until further down the road people realize how nice it was.

Ralycer said on November 3, 2014 at 7:27 a.m.

Patch definitely needs
- Animations improved and graphics tweaked
- Huge Improvement viewer aspect wise
- Faster gameplay * faster walkspeed, slightly shorter stages helps*
- Increase damage on pokes and anti air normals to the cast
- Gems adjusted or remove
- Increase throw range
- Super, pandora , cross arts cinematic startup timer stops.
- Adjust juggle potential
- balance changes
- Few more movelist to the sf cast
- Local coop for XBL

KarbyP said on November 3, 2014 at 7:28 a.m.

Thanks Shinebox, noted.

Kidenn said on November 3, 2014 at 7:46 a.m.

Every characters has meterless 400dmg combos, a light or a simple cr.mk in footsies easily converts to 300dmg, anti air (shoryu tag cancel or even some meterless normals) can do 300-400 depending on the character and I won't even talk about meter combos, resets (with comboable overheads the high/low game is strong) and cross art combos that can deal over 700dmg or end a round.
Even if there's a lot of time overs, I don't think more damage will do this game any good !

MarthFE said on November 3, 2014 at 7:53 a.m.

I liked the game for a while but it got boring fast. I found gems stupid so I turned them all off and I ha absolutely no problem with the on disc dlc.

What I found a problem, which probably isn't a problem for most people, Is the continuous switching of characters and healing. I think it would have been better if the characters didn't heal at all, but instead of losing when one is KOd, make it so both characters need to be taken down. Players who are newer to it might appreciate that as well and keep them in it. Being not so good at the game, I found it to be a fun killer wen I wasn't expecting to die to something and then I had someone sitting there with full health. Where as the way I would have liked it lets you play both.

LordProsper said on November 3, 2014 at 7:53 a.m.

If Capcom magically got $3 Million I think it'd be better spent elsewhere, to be honest. It's a fine game, especially after the patch, but there isn't exactly a wide install base for SFxT. For one reason or another (mechanics, completely asinine DLC practices, etc) people just didn't like it.

zearthsmile said on November 3, 2014 at 7:59 a.m.

So Ono mentioned balance update(a given) and changing the gem mechanics without mentioning how. Not much information here.

Ar3s said on November 3, 2014 at 8:01 a.m.

But that's what I came here for

Ieiruption_ said on November 3, 2014 at 8:02 a.m.

-Remove gems
-Make certain ex moves Pandora cancelable throughout cast
-further Improve netcode
-To me buttons feelse sticky so I'm guessing you would need to reduce hitstun and recovery accordingly.
-Increase diagonal input window
-For 2 players on one team, person taking lead controls tagging in mid combo (mk,mp tag version)
BOOM GREAT GAME

ROSHINOBI said on November 3, 2014 at 8:05 a.m.

Lol...yeah he's a rage quitter, but in fairness maybe he got tired of eaten those spam sandwitches that were being served...besides who the hell didn't quit during SF4 Vanilla days.

MotherBrain said on November 3, 2014 at 8:06 a.m.

I've never had a problem with gems honestly.
I would just do this standard nerf/buff changes, make Pandora a thing, and buff the overall damage output of things to prevent timeovers.

Kidenn said on November 3, 2014 at 8:28 a.m.

"For more details about such a potential SFxT update, and how possible it would be for Capcom to approve it (for the sake of all you SFxT fans out there... anyone?)"
"I'm not going to try and stop you from trying, all you hardcore Street Fighter X Tekken fans out there!
All five of you reading this right now."

People complain about EH comments when the news are worse now. We know this site doesn't support the game no need to do this sheet. Shameful.

Xykes said on November 3, 2014 at 8:32 a.m.

Umm, yeah...they nerfed those auto-gems a LONG ime ago.

I guess a lot of people aren't aware of the SFxT 2013 free upgrade that fixed a lot of the things people whine about.

It's ridiculous to "vow never to play a game again" based off of the vanilla version. That's what updates are for. If people ONLY played vanilla versions of games, we wouldn't be playing ANYTHING, because all vanilla versions of games tend to have problems.

TheTHCGamer said on November 3, 2014 at 8:33 a.m.

I never rage quit. Lol I might rage but I've never rage quit because Id rather just lose. Having a higher then normal disconnection percentage is more shameful then rage quitting. It's okay if you've done it in the past just as long as you don't do it on a regular just to save your rank.

Gonbebe said on November 3, 2014 at 8:35 a.m.

I think the problem lies moreso in the means of damage. In SF4 a 300-400 damage combo may take less than 5 seconds to complete. In SFxT the juggles take longer with the added hitstop and tag cancels. Not to mention you may be doing 400+ damage, but that is to one character who may be able to tag out and recover health.

theshredder39 said on November 3, 2014 at 8:39 a.m.

Or at the very least have two different ranked match options online, gems and no gems because look, I don't like the gems either but some folks would feel pretty cheated if they bought the DLC gems and then suddenly they have no use anymore ya know? So I think it's best to please both crowds.

Xykes said on November 3, 2014 at 8:40 a.m.

Dear Eventhubs staff:

All five of you reading this right now."

EH, stop trying to be clever. To get 3 million dollars, all they'd have to do is sell 100,000 copies of the game on PSN/XBox. That's not impossible at all. If you'd been paying attention, you'd notice that the sales figures for SFxT have continued to gradually increase since the initial 1.4 million sales mark in 2012. Now it's at 1.7 million, 2 years later. So, the possibility of selling 100,000 copies over the next year is not impossible, at all.

And, look at this comments section. DOES IT REALLY LOOK LIKE ONLY 5 PEOPLE ARE READING THIS?

Why do you harm the community that supports you? SFxT has gotten this site so much attention and traffic over the past 3 years. Hell, it's STILL doing so with the past two articles, which blew up with comments and clicks. Why do you insist on trying to hurt the game with snide comments like that? What does it accomplish for you? What could insulting a portion of YOUR fan base possibly do for you?

Jaaj301 said on November 3, 2014 at 8:44 a.m.

Honestly, the only broken thing that this game had was the flow of matches.

It was too slow, there were too many safe moves, blocking was too strong, and the game just lacked ways to open people up in a consistent way.

There wasn't a proper implementation of a "rock-paper-scissor" system to begin with, and the lack of mobility only added to the clunk-fest that this game was. Characters just felt sluggish and frustratingly slow, frame-traps were much weaker due to the short throw range and slow walk-speed.

It was a mixture of many, many things that made this game broken. It was badly-constructed at the very fundamentals, and I don't think patching it will ever fix anything.

Oh and it was also butt-f**k ugly to look at. Animations, lighting, color saturation, textures were all so ugly and badly done.

Chunners said on November 3, 2014 at 8:46 a.m.

No more updates. I think people are ready for SF5 already.

Druggzbunny said on November 3, 2014 at 8:52 a.m.

Online was horrible and nobody was ever on, at least for PSN. Couldn't give two craps about which top player likes it that you all fellate, it's dead. This game is done, let it go.

rosy said on November 3, 2014 at 8:55 a.m.

Suggest Capcom to port Dragon Dogma on PC and you will get the money :)

Ezey said on November 3, 2014 at 8:59 a.m.

I was super hyped when SFxT was announced but as soon as I played it I felt it was missing something. Till this day I don't know what that is but I stopped playing it and it is just collecting dust now. In the fgc most of the people who do play these games are mostly online what I mean by that all my friends that do play games that i know personly don't bother trying to learn to play a fighting game..I see this game being fun played offline with friends but I know most people don't have friends that actually play or that had any knowledge of a fighting game to make it competitive.. thats why I think this game didn't fly with hardcore players..

EnsignHiro said on November 3, 2014 at 9:10 a.m.

Once again boost combos made the game really boring to watch. Would you rather see Kazuya hitting a bunch of advanced Electrics a bunch of times in a row from a nice whiff punish or chunli doing kindergarten boost combos laming the opponent out? There is a reason this kind of thing is not possible in many other sf games. If every char in other sf games could do this dont you think there would be less interest in the game? Yes pokes become stronger but the need to actually study your character in various other footsie situations decreases.

If you think this is ok then thats cool just realize its definitely one of the most hated things about the game from several players for a reason.

Vanilla Sf x Tk was fun imo at least you saw way more things going on instead of easy boost combos. Once again not everyone will agree but that's fine. The game shouldn't have been changed up too much. Consideting its two companies vsing one another I think the infinites were fine.

Load more comments