Final part of Capcom-Unity's interview with Daigo Umehara

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • July 13, 2011 at 2:05 p.m. PDT
Final part of Capcom-Unity's interview with Daigo Umehara Capcom-Unity put up the third and final part of their interview with Daigo Umehara, covering more fan questions. Here's an except from the piece.

4) Daigo, I have no doubt a lot of respect for you as a person and as a pro-player of street fighter.  My question is. How long does it take for you to adapt to a new fighting game such as street fighter and what do you like most about fighting games? the competitive drive, discovery of combos, tricks and setups, etc?

--Power-Stunna

Daigo: Hmm… it’s hard to say, but maybe about 3 month? What do I like most about fighting games is the fact that anyone can easily pick up and enjoy a match regardless of his or her experience level.

5) Who inspires you when you play in video game tournaments? --Robert

Daigo: I wish I could give you a player's name, but I don't have any specific person in mind when it comes to winning. But the number of players definitely affects my spirit. The more there are, the more exciting it gets, and that’s a part of the reason why EVO is so great.

My father has always been my inspiration in my game playing career. He supported me in whatever I wanted to do and inspired me to do the best and be the best. I am very grateful of both my parent's generosity and warm support.

Comments

Mrb20028 said on July 13, 2011 at 2:21 p.m.

Thats oool that his parents supported. Most parents would say something like "These games are gonna make you more violent" or "Go I outside and get some fresh air". lol. I wish people could see that even hardcore gamers can make a living and still do basic things just like everyone else.

GamePirate420 said on July 13, 2011 at 2:28 p.m.

3-Months ONLY!? What a show-off!

LordJim said on July 13, 2011 at 2:43 p.m.

Consider the hours per day, every day.

BisonBetterBeGoodInSSF4 said on July 13, 2011 at 2:47 p.m.

he also eats CornFlakes...i think thats were his talent really came from.

RA_MO said on July 13, 2011 at 2:54 p.m.

One day sir... We will have at it yet again. Until then I must think to myself. Develop my skills for this kind of game but make no mistake, one way or the other.. We shall play again Mr. Umehara.

The_True_Gouki said on July 13, 2011 at 3:11 p.m.

@#4 BisonBetterBeGoodInSSF4

Corn Flakes plain with milk of course is the True key to success. No doubt.

evilace said on July 13, 2011 at 3:19 p.m.

What he said

I_want_your_sister said on July 13, 2011 at 3:26 p.m.

@ BisonBetterBeGoodInSSF4
lolz
Yummy!

BlankaBeast said on July 13, 2011 at 3:44 p.m.

it all about the whole grains

maxs2d2ace said on July 13, 2011 at 6:04 p.m.

Mom: hey son! what do you want to be when you grow up?
Son: i want to be a Video Game Tournament Winner, and Beat Daigo.
Mom: Slap!!! you cant beat Daigo, he's The Beast. But remember, you can be whatever want. =)

I mean talk about doing what you love for a living. seems like when Daigo came to the U.S he grab himself alittle bit of that american dream.

caruga said on July 13, 2011 at 7:22 p.m.

@2: I doubt that was true for the first one.

HabinoBR said on July 13, 2011 at 7:31 p.m.

Its nice that his parents gave him support, thats not that common...

ryuhayabusa13 said on July 13, 2011 at 9:12 p.m.

@ I_want_your_sister
I would rather have picked this one:

codename_yun said on July 13, 2011 at 9:13 p.m.

@#11:

YOU DARE QUESTION THE BEAST?!

suprez said on July 13, 2011 at 10:08 p.m.

@2 ..Of course he been playing in tournament and fighting game for a long time now. Not really surprising . 3 Month seem fair to learn the match-up and practice you execution .

When you know most of the gimmick in a fighting game it's not really hard to learn a new one.

Has for playing video game has a living . Well it's really just the best that can afford it.

Sasuga said on July 14, 2011 at 7:41 a.m.

To have your parents support him is surely not common, especially considering Japanese standards.

I don't think the 3 months is that fast for a game to pick up. That's the time when you learn the most valuable and basic stuff. What you learn afterwards would be more specific knowledge and ability. That is, considering you have experience with the genre, like he does.

Toro_Riki said on July 14, 2011 at 9:16 a.m.

taking as a full time work is sick ... for his sake , i hope capcom will assume daigo as a game tester (a work for his real life) when he becomes 30 y.o. or older , otherwise he is throwing aways his youth and future possibility for a V I D E O G A M E !!!

tonsetzer said on July 14, 2011 at 10:40 a.m.

I dont see it that way. He really likes what he does now, so its no wasted time. How many people can really say they are 100% happy with their job? he obvously is, and as far as i know he already has another part time job. Nobody knows what the future brings, but Daigo beeing such a big name in the community, he has good chances to land some kind of job after his active career.