Japan's Street Fighter 5 special editions have tons of awesome stuff included

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • January 3, 2016 at 12:15 p.m. PST

Japan is getting some sick bonus content with the release of Street Fighter 5, which happens over there on February 18, 2016.

There are varying levels of extra content available, depending on how much you want to pay, but some of the things you can grab are A Visionary Book with developer interviews, artwork, and a Vital Box with cover art by Bengus, which has move listings, and an instructional DVD.

The DVD is about 60 minutes long, and features SF5's battle planner, Woshige, as an instructor. Here are some images of various content available in the special editions in Japan.

Japan's special editions for Street Fighter 5 contents image #1 Japan's special editions for Street Fighter 5 contents image #2 Japan's special editions for Street Fighter 5 contents image #3 Japan's special editions for Street Fighter 5 contents image #4 Japan's special editions for Street Fighter 5 contents image #5 Japan's special editions for Street Fighter 5 contents image #6
Click images for larger versions

More details are available below.

Volcanic Edition $108 USD (12,990 Yen)

Here are some of the things you'll get with the Volcanic Edition of Street Fighter 5 in Japan.

• PS4 Ryu, Chun-Li, Cammy and M. Bison battle costumes
• 1,500 Zeni via product codes
• A Visionary Book
• The Vital Box
• DVD
• Directors edition colors for all 16 characters (pictured below)
• Limited edition in-game titles

There are varying levels of special editions in Japan, which include various combinations of the above things, and you can find a complete rundown here in Japanese.

Directors edition colors for Street Fighter 5

F.A.N.G's director's ed. color Street Fighter 5 image #1 F.A.N.G's director's ed. color Street Fighter 5 image #2 F.A.N.G's director's ed. color Street Fighter 5 image #3 F.A.N.G's director's ed. color Street Fighter 5 image #4 F.A.N.G's director's ed. color Street Fighter 5 image #5 F.A.N.G's director's ed. color Street Fighter 5 image #6 F.A.N.G's director's ed. color Street Fighter 5 image #7 F.A.N.G's director's ed. color Street Fighter 5 image #8 F.A.N.G's director's ed. color Street Fighter 5 image #9 F.A.N.G's director's ed. color Street Fighter 5 image #10 F.A.N.G's director's ed. color Street Fighter 5 image #11 F.A.N.G's director's ed. color Street Fighter 5 image #12 F.A.N.G's director's ed. color Street Fighter 5 image #13 F.A.N.G's director's ed. color Street Fighter 5 image #14 F.A.N.G's director's ed. color Street Fighter 5 image #15 F.A.N.G's director's ed. color Street Fighter 5 image #16 F.A.N.G's director's ed. color Street Fighter 5 image #17
Click images for larger versions

If you'd like to get your hands on this content, it may be available through several importers, including companies like Play-Asia, although their current supply is sold out.

Source: Japan Street Fighter 5 blog.

Comments

zombiebrian said on January 3, 2016 at 12:25 p.m.

Wish capcom would sort out what everyones getting edition wise. At the moment its a mess

Mightus said on January 3, 2016 at 12:29 p.m.

It is painfully clear where all the love is being poured into but they really gave U.S the short end of the stick with the crappiest edition I have ever seen them push out. Since when did they not like U.S money? lol (my soul hurts)

Fethennour said on January 3, 2016 at 12:29 p.m.

Can also be purchased via eCapcom, so.... what's the point? :/

PiiKhay said on January 3, 2016 at 12:30 p.m.

Getting a MvC2 vibe from looking at that Vital Box. Looks amazing.

IkeMoses said on January 3, 2016 at 12:30 p.m.

What did Bengus do to Laura's face, tho?

zombiebrian said on January 3, 2016 at 12:31 p.m.

EU got a steelbook with beardy ryu or just regular #screwed

Catalyst said on January 3, 2016 at 12:31 p.m.

Will eCapcom ship worldwide, though?

LeonX said on January 3, 2016 at 12:35 p.m.

Japan always gets the nicest things u__u

At least we could get thats "director's cut colors" :\

But good for you Nippon-sama :D Because of your taste for characters, you deserve it <3

ThatsaDandyCombo said on January 3, 2016 at 12:35 p.m.

Oh my god that Vital Box is so good. i love the expressions and poses that R. Mika and Rashid do.

shakunetsu said on January 3, 2016 at 12:35 p.m.

dolls movies?

XxAngelChunLixX said on January 3, 2016 at 12:38 p.m.

I adore that first picture! The one also used in the banner. I love how everyone looks in it (lol @Gief), but Laura and Rashid catch my eye the most. Is there any version of it alone?

Also, are those the doll redesigns people were talking about? I love them and how everyone has their own attire.

FalsoL said on January 3, 2016 at 12:38 p.m.

Screw you Harada, why you always mistreat the players outside of Japan? We deserve respect and... oh wait!

Catalyst said on January 3, 2016 at 12:39 p.m.

I'd be pretty shocked if Capcom didn't repackage the directors edition colors in some way for other markets.

I could be wrong, but stuff like that seems primed for an in-game purchase.

Catalyst said on January 3, 2016 at 12:40 p.m.

Not as far as I've seen. I did a decent bit of hunting looking for it. It's by Bengus, and it's the cover art for the Vital Box, if that helps at all.

Fethennour said on January 3, 2016 at 12:42 p.m.

eCapcom does NOT ship outside Japan, apparently.

Catalyst said on January 3, 2016 at 12:42 p.m.

Thanks for the update.

real_MAHVEL_god said on January 3, 2016 at 12:43 p.m.

XxAngelChunLixX said on January 3, 2016 at 12:45 p.m.

Any info helps, thanks. <3

LeonX said on January 3, 2016 at 12:48 p.m.

Me too... the west side of the world will only get dlc costumes depending from where people bought the game ¬¬ and statues '_'

And people like me that pre-ordered by PSN, only Chun-Li's costume :(

Hope the in the future at least that exclusive colors become available to buy using Fight Money u__u

Agentownshiprebelion said on January 3, 2016 at 12:58 p.m.

would you believe some kind of odd couple friendship between Karin and Birdie actually crossed my mind as something that could happen in game?

Maybe she could want to train him(arrogant as that sounds) to see what it would be like if all that force was a little more graceful or maybe she could just insist he walk one of her dogs.

That Laura concept art looks interesting. Would like to see what else they passed on.

AugustAPC said on January 3, 2016 at 1:05 p.m.

Why can't America get any of this?

Sarcastic_Black_Koshinomi said on January 3, 2016 at 1:07 p.m.

darthvenom said on January 3, 2016 at 1:07 p.m.

I want the artworks more than anything else.

Clearzova4950 said on January 3, 2016 at 1:11 p.m.

That art on the Vital Box is GODLIKE! I need that as a phone wallpaper!

Fethennour said on January 3, 2016 at 1:14 p.m.

You must be mistaken. If you're talking about HARADA Katsuhiro, he's the producer of the Tekken franchise (and thus works at Bandai Namco), he has nothing to do with Street Fighter.

Maybe you were thinking of ONO Yoshinori ? And even then, the decision is not his, it's Capcom's (ONO is not responsible for all the marketing stuff).

PlutoX said on January 3, 2016 at 1:19 p.m.

Police Chun-L story mode confirmed? Oo

IkeMoses said on January 3, 2016 at 1:24 p.m.

Police Chun alt would be so dope.

Mike_Chunner said on January 3, 2016 at 1:57 p.m.

Officer Chun Li alt. confirmed! :D

LuckyKoopa said on January 3, 2016 at 2:01 p.m.

That Rashid director color is sick.

DrDevice said on January 3, 2016 at 2:10 p.m.

WHY DO WE NOT HAVE HOT RYU AND CHUN ARTWORK =(

SonicSol said on January 3, 2016 at 2:10 p.m.

>Valuable Edition contains Guide book
>Character portraits are ripped from Game's story mode illustrations
>Chun-Li sporting a Denim Jacket like she's Android 18
>Denim Jacket will be DLC
Quote me on this guys.

Gotomaster said on January 3, 2016 at 2:12 p.m.

They are trying to cover as much ground with no arcade release in Japan. They really want the japanese sales on this thing given console gaming isn't all that popular over there. Whether its right or not, I see why they are doing it.

General_Awesomo said on January 3, 2016 at 2:22 p.m.

*Whoosh!*

General_Awesomo said on January 3, 2016 at 2:27 p.m.

*sigh* Capcom's really reaching for the Japanese audience to make up for the lack of an arcade release, huh? Too bad they're neglecting every other country in doing so. Why even bother? The Japanese don't care about console games. They just want to be weird and play mobile games.

HooliganComboFTW said on January 3, 2016 at 2:32 p.m.

Lol this is nothing new. Japan always get the better/more varied LEs because they have the consumer market demographic to support it. Count yourself lucky there is even one for NA/EU because depending on the localizer you will get the bare minimum

ExiMiller said on January 3, 2016 at 2:36 p.m.

Haha! Living in Japan has paid off for once considering we didn't get Beta access unless you were lucky with the lottery selection or they finally opened it up for everyone on the third beta.

I just ordered my Volcanic edition. Not a lot of stock left apparently. I did see that the e-capcom site does have a flag symbol in the top right to switch to English. Not sure if they same stuff is available if you do that though.

ImaPlayThis said on January 3, 2016 at 2:36 p.m.

So what does EU even get? like I pre-ordered the game but I'm sure I'm jsut getting the game nout else

Vulgun said on January 3, 2016 at 2:39 p.m.

Holy crap, the first image is like playing "Where's Waldo", but instead of Waldo, it's like "Where's Vega?"

Guess that's why they call him the Spanish Ninja.

General_Awesomo said on January 3, 2016 at 2:58 p.m.

Heh heh, noice.

Look at the second image. Do you see that? Capcom remembers that Chun-Li is a cop! I like that we finally got an alternate costume with her hair down, but I would also like a cop costume for Chun-Li too. Did you know that Chun-Li is skilled at shooting?

Afterburn said on January 3, 2016 at 2:59 p.m.

It's 2016 and we're STILL doing region exclusive content releases? Why?

ryuhayabusa13 said on January 3, 2016 at 3:05 p.m.

DOG GAMMIT!!! I want all the bengus stuff and artbook

shinra358 said on January 3, 2016 at 3:30 p.m.

the first sf artbook that nobody wants lol.

FalsoL said on January 3, 2016 at 3:36 p.m.

My fault, I forgot to write IronicmodeON

TheTTimeLives said on January 3, 2016 at 3:36 p.m.

But how do I get that actual police officer Chun Li outfit?

Toomnyusernae said on January 3, 2016 at 3:43 p.m.

Japan: HEY! Great idea! Let's make it so people only ever have to buy one copy of the game so that they can unlock things as they go! OH! Better idea! Let's make the only relevant copy people need suuuuper awesome! OH! Even better idea! Let's ONLY SELL IT IN JAPAN WHEN PEOPLE OUTSIDE OUR COUNTRY WOULD WANT IT AND THROW MONEY AT US!

OH OH OH! EVEN BETTER IDEA! LET'S MESS UP TOURNAMENTS WHERE THE CONSOLES THEY NEED MUST BE ONES WHO HAVE 'UNLOCKED' EVERYONE ^_^ WE SO SMRT!!!

masquedmonk said on January 3, 2016 at 4 p.m.

It's getting to the point where I'm thinking of trading down my US CE to the Standard and putting the remaining $30 into the season pass. At least then I'll have more bang for my buck. A statue I haven't seen yet (that's still a mock up we're seeing), a partial soundtrack and digital versions of Udon's regurgitated junk isn't doing it for me anymore.

xShonuffx said on January 3, 2016 at 4:27 p.m.

You know what, we should respond by not buying the US special edition, send a message to Capcom to not screw us, but as usual people are tools and don't know how to vote with their money.

MexicanDetective said on January 3, 2016 at 4:51 p.m.

Hopefully all that art gets released in an artbook in the west later on. There's a very high chance it will, but you can never be too sure.

Justacasualplayer said on January 3, 2016 at 5 p.m.

Anyone notice that in the 3rd image there is the whole r mika wherstiling crew alongside yoko armagedon animated in 3d? That means they are gona be in the story mode? Also in the same image you can see fang being the master of the dools

Yuru_Juri said on January 3, 2016 at 5:31 p.m.

70desubels said on January 3, 2016 at 5:38 p.m.

I was skeptical about the art style in the tutorial sequence, but now I'm sold. Bison looks fantastic!

Linky97 said on January 3, 2016 at 5:45 p.m.

I just found out that Bengus is doing the all in-game artwork for SFV.

MakenXsoul said on January 3, 2016 at 5:56 p.m.

Exactly, I'm just ordering my standard copy from Amazon. The Bison outfit is awesome, I would like Chun's but I like physical copy of my games. Wish they would do a reverse cover as well. The Collector's here in the U.S. turned me off.

ExiMiller said on January 3, 2016 at 6:01 p.m.

I'd say that despite getting an awesome special edition with these sets being sold from e-capcom, Japan has not had a great experience with SF5 so far either.

There was very limited access to the Beta up until the final test period as it was all based on a lottery ran via PS Plus.

We also are losing our main scene with the arcades going. Hopefully they will release cabinets down the road but that is the main place we all meet to play SF4 currently. At least Japanese internet is pretty god like.

Large focus on the west with major events like the Playstation Event and Capcom Cup being scheduled at 4am on a Monday morning in Japan. I understand concerns with time zones but at least run it on Saturday so we can still watch during the weekend here.

I def understand why people are upset that we can't all have the same special editions but its not been perfect over here in Japan either :(

PurplePonyJotaro said on January 3, 2016 at 6:37 p.m.

That Bengus art is the best thing of any edition.

shinrahunter said on January 3, 2016 at 6:48 p.m.

Yeah, try living in Europe then. We don't even know where to get pre order costumes. Plus, US got much more beta coverage so don't start with the 'no love for US' argument.

Dongood said on January 3, 2016 at 7:10 p.m.

The fact that Bengus is doing all this artwork is even more proof that SFV was originally suppose to be SFA4.

Skinny_Puppy said on January 3, 2016 at 7:48 p.m.

Japan always gets the cool stuff. Look at the console bundles they get for PS4 Wii and 3ds vs the ones we get. Rt ef u cri evrytime or something.

revoltriot said on January 3, 2016 at 8:34 p.m.

Certainly, if I had the chance I would grab the Volcanic Edition for sure.

Well, I think that the US version it's not that bad if you compare with the Australian version and with the absent version in Europe. People should consider that.

I'm minority here because while I liked the art in the Vital Box I still think that in the tutorial (with Gouken and young Ryu and Ken) the art looks really sketchy, not in the level of what Bengus can create. Of course, it's far from a really bad work, but I just hope I can change my mind after look to the rest of it in the "final" edition of the game.

AngryAssassin said on January 3, 2016 at 9:40 p.m.

Just my luck that I'll be in country to pick this up! I guess my primary mission will be locating a retailer and hoping they don't sell out too quickly.

TrueGamingGuru said on January 3, 2016 at 10:45 p.m.

For those acting like US deserve these collectors edition, feeling like Japan always get special treatment, or is even shock that Capcom didn't gave us the collectors edition.

Almost everyone of you should've expect certain collectors being release exclusive to certain regions, while US either gets a different one or just flat nothing which is a case for almost every different games, and something that isn't new by all means. Hasn't Street Fighter V been announcing different collectors edition than what the US is currently has (which is the case for what videogames tend to do)? Even take some examples on TTT2 & DOA5+/DOA5U/DOA5LR where they have collectors in other regions (in DOA case Japan & Asia) while the US get flat nothing even if they had some pretty cool ones that I would've love.

Why not just import the stuff or trying getting it on ebay?

HanzoWasabi said on January 3, 2016 at 11:21 p.m.

If we were to buy these editions would we be able to even redeem the DLC it comes with even if it's not US region?

masquedmonk said on January 3, 2016 at 11:55 p.m.

For me, it's not even a case of getting better "stuff," because if I wanted toys, art books or tee shirts I can just go to Capcom Store or wherever. But it's clear, in terms of catering to the actual game, the JP editions are clearly ahead with all sorts of colors, zenny bonuses and multiple costume choices whereas elsewhere it's divided piecemeal between retailers, and it's just one costume apiece. If I'm to pay $90+ for the game, it may as well be something I can use while playing.

Shi_shio said on January 4, 2016 at 12:19 a.m.

why isn't this selled world wide?? sometime I don't understand capcom....

lowdojo said on January 4, 2016 at 12:24 a.m.

Please announce what you're doing for the UK soon Capcom; not pre-ordering for the moment.

mangosmoothie said on January 4, 2016 at 12:54 a.m.

that box art tho

Velocirapetor said on January 4, 2016 at 12:57 a.m.

Already bought the game for both ps4 and pc.. now i need to order it again to get this package :/ Hope i can find a place that'll ship to Europe

xShonuffx said on January 4, 2016 at 12:59 a.m.

What you said absolutely makes no sense at all. No one is saying somebody deserves it.

There is no logical reason to NOT include these special editions for all regions getting the game.

kenji said on January 4, 2016 at 1:05 a.m.

The battle planner is the same Woshige from GGXrd?

Afterburn said on January 4, 2016 at 1:22 a.m.

Yes he is.

Smorgasboard said on January 4, 2016 at 3:16 a.m.

I never realized that the hole in the chest of R. Mika's costume is supposed to be heart shaped. I think that they should make is smaller to make it more obvious.

Cael said on January 4, 2016 at 6:09 a.m.

I don't think you realize just how happy I am that they finally made Akiman's alt color a reality after all these years. Sooo good.

J said on January 4, 2016 at 6:55 a.m.

That artwork looks goooood.
Hope you can unlock it in the game or something to look at.

Pat_Daddy96 said on January 4, 2016 at 7:21 a.m.

I think the SJWs gave us a bad look towards the Japanese.

iljindaebak said on January 4, 2016 at 5:16 p.m.

Nah I'm good...I'll wait until they release a complete edition of Street Fighter V so I don't end up buying 3-4 different versions like I did with SF4

TrueGamingGuru said on January 4, 2016 at 10:36 p.m.

If you were to buy these editions which includes the DLC content, that would require you to create an account from its respected region like in order to redeem part of content from these editions that would require you to have a Japanese account in order to redeem them.

TrueGamingGuru said on January 4, 2016 at 10:37 p.m.

What part am I making no sense on? Maybe I should show you some examples where certain regions got their own collectors edition or certain country (like US depending on game) doesn't get a collectors edition at all, for starters look what Street Fighter V is offering for collectors edition just for a refresh:

TrueGamingGuru said on January 4, 2016 at 10:38 p.m.

SFV US Collectors Edition: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/au...

SFV GameStop Collectors Edition: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/no...

SFV EURO Collectors Edition: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/no...

SFV AUS Collectors Edition: http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2015/de...

Here is SFV JPN Collectors Edition: Volcanic Edition

Here is few more examples on what region gets their exclusive Collectors Edition

Tekken 6

US/EURO (LE Hori Arcade Stick)/JPN Collector's Edition: http://i33.tinypic.com/2q1fou9.jpg

EURO & AUS Collector's Edition: https://www.gamesmen.com.au/media/cat...

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

EURO/AUS Collectors Edition: http://s1.thcdn.com/design-assets/pro...

ITA Collectors Edition (Christie Monteiro Edition): http://img.myfunbox.it/Videogiochi/XB...

ITA Collectors Edition (The Iron Fist Edition): http://www.gamesoul.it/wp-content/upl...

ASIA Collectors Edition: http://collectorsedition.org/uploads/...

US didn't have a Collectors Edition for TTT2

Every DOA5 Update titles that had Collectors Edition Exclusive to Japan

DOA5 + PSVita Collectors Edition: http://media2.nin-nin-game.com/13930-...

DOA5 Ultimate Collectors Edition (Kasumi-chan Blue & Momiji Red): http://nichegamer.com/wp-content/uplo...

DOA5 Ultimate Collectors Edition: http://www.siliconera.com/wordpress/w...

DOA5 Last Round Collectors Edition & Saikyou Edition: http://l52.imgup.net/deadoraliv4c8b.jpg

Street Fighter IV

US Collector's Edition (PS3): http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/i...

US Collector's Edition (Xbox 360): http://www.ripten.com/wp-content/uplo...

EURO Collector's Edition: http://www.indianvideogamer.com/wp-co...

SSFIV JPN Collector's Edition: http://76.my/Malaysia/super-street-fi...

SSFIV US Collectors Edition (Capcom Exclusive): http://media.eventhubs.com/images/201...

USFIV JPN Collectors Editon: http://www.fightersgeneration.com/nz/...

TrueGamingGuru said on January 4, 2016 at 10:38 p.m.

Part of "No one is saying somebody deserves it" take a closer look at some of the comments that have been made, which is why I said "their acting like US deserve these collectors edtion, feeling like Japan always get special treatment, or is even shock that Capcom didn't gave us the collectors edtion." Almost as if Capcom treats the Japanese very special with a collectors edition, when its not that new where certain regions get their own collectors edition (as much as it would be nice if it was available for all regions) but there are times other regions get something different (even if we don't care as much compare to what they have), or just not even have collectors edition for that region.

Maybe consider on following other gaming sites to see some examples where each region has their own collectors edition (which isn't likely to be available for all regions). This coming from someone who has experience something like this before

JinGameEditions said on January 9, 2016 at 8:37 p.m.

For the US, Collector's Edition is the best value in my opinion. Check it out here, breaking down all Street Figther V preorder editions on 1 page: https://gameeditions.com/street-fight...