Only 120 Super Smash Bros. 3DS matches required to unlock all characters, down from 450 in SSBB and 1,000 in SSBM

Posted by Cheng Kai 'KarbyP' Sim • September 11, 2014 at 8:24 p.m. PDT

Along with confirmation of the secret characters in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS comes the unlock conditions for them all.

While there are usually various ways to unlock the same characters in a Super Smash Bros. game, scattered all across its various modes, it appears that the easiest method this time around is to simply play a bunch of matches -- you unlock a new character after playing every 10 matches.

With 12 hidden characters to unlock, that's a mere 120 matches you have to play. That's nothing compared to 450 in Super Smash Bros. Brawl and 1,000 for Super Smash Bros. Melee.

Check out the order of the unlocks below.

10 matches - Ness
20 matches - Falco
30 matches - Wario
40 matches - Lucina
50 matches - Dark Pit
60 matches - Dr. Mario
70 matches - R.O.B.
80 matches - Ganondorf
90 matches - Mr. Game & Watch
100 matches - Bowser Jr.
110 matches - Duck Hunt Dog
120 matches - Jigglypuff

Yes, that's right, folks -- Jigglypuff is the final boss unlock.

There's currently no word on if the 120 matches have to be played entirely offline, or if online matches count towards the unlocks as well. In any case, at only 120 matches to unlock the entire roster, most players will likely have the entire cast unlocked within the first few hours of play.

Source: SmaSoku.

Comments

BlueKnight said on September 11, 2014 at 8:28 p.m.

cool just 50 matches for dark pit.

SoftShocks said on September 11, 2014 at 8:29 p.m.

Not bad, that will go by really quick.

cdiddy83 said on September 11, 2014 at 8:31 p.m.

Are there any changes to ganondolf is this version?

Darkspines22 said on September 11, 2014 at 8:31 p.m.

What are the classic mode methods for unlocking characters? I know some of them, but not all

Virtua_Kazama said on September 11, 2014 at 8:31 p.m.

Well I know what I'm gonna be doing...

GiganV3 said on September 11, 2014 at 8:32 p.m.

Good! I'll unlock 'em without even trying or having to do 1 stock matches.

KarbyP said on September 11, 2014 at 8:34 p.m.

I've put in at least 120 matches into the SSB demo for sure, lol. Then again I did have a lot of time to kill on the flight to Japan.

zeroroute said on September 11, 2014 at 8:36 p.m.

Well, for those who hate unlocking characters, now you can stop whining.

Liam_Butler said on September 11, 2014 at 8:39 p.m.

Wow, Duckhunt Dog takes work. It's so worth it, for the best character in the game.

SmokeRulz said on September 11, 2014 at 8:45 p.m.

Evidently you can still get them from Classic Mode, too. The streamers were getting them out of order.

Still, 120 matches! Hell yes!

Liam_Butler said on September 11, 2014 at 8:45 p.m.

Actually, now that I think about it, it kinda sucks that there's only 120 matches... I liked the challenge in Melee. As a kid, I actually reset the game to unlock all the characters in Melee, because that was half the fun of the game. But... Alas, times have changed...

MatheViB said on September 11, 2014 at 8:47 p.m.

well that is quick Ganondorf and Lucina for me :)

Wintry said on September 11, 2014 at 8:53 p.m.

120 matches? So like day one right?

Reiji said on September 11, 2014 at 8:57 p.m.

120 matches? I'll just do a bunch of 1-stock rounds in a day until I got everybody.

SkllXMnky said on September 11, 2014 at 9:08 p.m.

I'm conflicted, I liked the idea of playing the game for a long time to unlock everybody, granted I hated unlocking characters *coughMEWTWOcough* in Melee. Oh well, least I know a get together with friends will let me unlock the roster quickly.

Kijui said on September 11, 2014 at 9:15 p.m.

Man, I still remember the handfuls of times I would speed run getting all the characters in Melee... Doing Adventure mode for Luigi, and playing all the arcade modes as I unlocked each character... and plugging in 3(later on four) and setting the game on survival and leaving it on over night to unlock Mewtwo faster (there was a time where I unlocked him first, just to get him out of the way). but the total time it took to unlock all the characters in Melee was a matter of how fast you got to unlocking Marth in the game (usually the last character to unlock when I did my Melee runs, excluding G&W and Roy). Now that I think about it, in Brawl specifically, jigglypuffis the last character you unlock in that game as well

OhYouDontSayThat said on September 11, 2014 at 9:16 p.m.

Kids these days...
Back in my day, we had to unlock Ness in the snow! FOR 15 MILES!!

DestinyZX1 said on September 11, 2014 at 9:21 p.m.

You had to make that reference didn't you?

DestinyZX1 said on September 11, 2014 at 9:21 p.m.

120 matches to get all the characters huh? Nice. But what about single player? Do we have to beat the game with everyone to unlock them all?

SnakeX said on September 11, 2014 at 9:22 p.m.

That is a good move. It keeps characters locked for those that want to earn them, while not being a grind for those that just want to get right to playing them.

SnakeX said on September 11, 2014 at 9:23 p.m.

If the streams the other night were any indication, you can also simply beat Classic Mode and get characters that way as well.

nightmaresteam said on September 11, 2014 at 9:27 p.m.

So are there any known unlockable stages so far?

TheTTimeLives said on September 11, 2014 at 9:45 p.m.

Casuallllllllll...

Sanox said on September 11, 2014 at 9:56 p.m.

casual game

Kappa

SpiderUppercut said on September 11, 2014 at 10:11 p.m.

110 matches?!

GRR! Arf! Arf!

DestinyZX1 said on September 11, 2014 at 10:14 p.m.

Works for me. :D

msdrakegx said on September 11, 2014 at 10:14 p.m.

I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand it's awesome that all of the characters will be unlocked when I go to friends houses. On the other hand I always had a lot of fun unlocking characters in the other games

MightyAfro said on September 11, 2014 at 10:24 p.m.

it's likely much higher in the wii u versions

FuPoo said on September 11, 2014 at 10:38 p.m.

might as well play in CLASSIC mode to get these so you can go unlocking trophies/cool gear for your chaotic CUSTOM matches/Mii

dugthefreshest said on September 11, 2014 at 10:54 p.m.

just remember, they could have been dlc

KarbyP said on September 12, 2014 at 12:09 a.m.

Jigglypuff the true last boss in Super Smash Bros. series confirmed.

TheUntitledOne said on September 12, 2014 at 12:46 a.m.

I couldn't agree with you more.

SirRetro08 said on September 12, 2014 at 1:17 a.m.

Man, it feels so good to unlock a lot of characters and stuff by actually PLAYING the game again. Been soooo long since then to me lol.

Scourge739 said on September 12, 2014 at 6:08 a.m.

I'm somewhat conflicted about this. I do like the idea that it's much faster to get all the characters unlocked. But it feels like it won't be as fun as it used to be. Maybe it's just nostalgia.

You know what I'd be happy about?
A Wii u Release date already.

Snow said on September 12, 2014 at 6:19 a.m.

Don't forget there's still a ton of custom moves to unlock once you get all the characters.

Whengameswerefun said on September 12, 2014 at 6:56 a.m.

Good I always hated unlocking characters and now that I'm older I don't have time to be worrying about tedious actions to play a character anymore.

mrambitious said on September 12, 2014 at 7:05 a.m.

110 for duck hunter dog? crap man I wanted to use him day 1

Refrigerator said on September 12, 2014 at 8:41 a.m.

Can we get a tiers section for this game and Project M?

Steele301 said on September 12, 2014 at 9:02 a.m.

This game, sure. But Project M? That's not a real game.

MFVoltron said on September 12, 2014 at 9:46 a.m.

funny considering that Ness in the OG was usually the last one to be unlocked while Jiggly used to be first in every game

Refrigerator said on September 12, 2014 at 6:51 p.m.

it's being played in tournaments

Razberryclownsac said on September 13, 2014 at 12:27 a.m.

Bowser Jr and Duck Hunt Dog?!? I may have to get me a Wii U.

AttorneyMayCry said on September 13, 2014 at 6:07 a.m.

Do Special matches count? I'd imagine setting damage to Sudden Death and landing a hit on a level 1 CPU would be the quickest way.

jelaninoel said on September 13, 2014 at 11:37 a.m.

Remember it taking FOREVER to get mewtwo

Pigumon said on September 14, 2014 at 3:11 a.m.

Yep. I tried setting a high level cp vs. low level cp and it didn't work, but P1 vs low level high handicap works fine. Match ends in 5 secs or less! It's the animations and reselecting that takes the longest.