Tiers for Marvel vs. Capcom 2, Skullgirls and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom launched

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • May 24, 2014 at 5:01 p.m. PDT

We've launched the final set of tiers for assist-based fighting games today. Here are links to each of the new sections.

Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Skullgirls
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom

With this addition, Skullgirl's Fukua now has a stats page and is selectable in people's profiles. You can also use our Fight Tracker to find other players using this character to schedule match ups.

Our Fight Tracker of course works with all of the games/characters we've just launched as well, along with many other titles.

Instead of these new tier listings using match-up-based scores, this uses a unique rating system to more accurately reflect how tiers for assist games work, and it's explained in detail here.

We'll be launching the remaining sections for match-up based fighting games going forward now, because all of the assist-based games are now live.

Comments

DontTaseMeBro said on May 24, 2014 at 5:06 p.m.

Earlier today, I saw Marvel vs Capcom 2 on the Tier list, and there was actually votes on match up's. I was like WTF? I know I ain't the only one who saw that either.

Wardog said on May 24, 2014 at 5:07 p.m.

I'm enjoying Skull girls, but dang... can I at least fight.lol

I fought a person who wouldn't let me get a single hit in (not even a chip damage). I just put the stick down and watch my character get combo to death.... sigh.lol, still a fun game, but dang.lol

Where's my Valentine players at!lol

AkumaShadow said on May 24, 2014 at 5:07 p.m.

TvC hell yeah

theUNCHARTED said on May 24, 2014 at 5:10 p.m.

They were setup yesterday, but had to be reset because of a configuration issue. Thank you for bearing with us.

BumbleBee said on May 24, 2014 at 5:13 p.m.

MSS is all that matters.

NoizyChild said on May 24, 2014 at 5:14 p.m.

Was it the fact that the list was up, or the fact that people actually bothered to vote on match ups outside the top 12?

MANDINGO said on May 24, 2014 at 5:14 p.m.

ALifeOfWinter said on May 24, 2014 at 5:14 p.m.

I just love Valentine! She is the best ever!

Paradonyx said on May 24, 2014 at 5:16 p.m.

Skullgirls is reallllly hard to decide, since, unlike Marvel, every character is balanced. I'll give it a go though.

Gurpwnder said on May 24, 2014 at 5:18 p.m.

I always thought TVC:UAS was really balanced, but apparently Zero is above the rest of the cast.

Still, it's an improvement over the original TVC, which had Chun and Karas at the top, I think,

Jason said on May 24, 2014 at 5:42 p.m.

Whoo! Finally Skullgirls tiers.

TaokakaBOOM said on May 24, 2014 at 5:50 p.m.

Reppin' the Valentine Army with ya, broski!

Dracos_Wrath said on May 24, 2014 at 5:59 p.m.

Karas' damage in UAS SUCKS.

Sadisticcupid said on May 24, 2014 at 6:10 p.m.

was it peacock with fukua? Cause that team makes me rage #thesaltisreal

EagleBirdMan said on May 24, 2014 at 6:10 p.m.

I forget how to vote. Can someone help? @_@

Catalyst said on May 24, 2014 at 7 p.m.

Just go into the index page for the game you want to vote on, and look for the "Vote" link on the right-hand side of the character you wish to vote for.

Then slide their portrait around to vote, that's it.

EagleBirdMan said on May 24, 2014 at 7:26 p.m.

Oh ok. I was sliding the sliders around and was looking around for a confirm button or something, so I was confused as to whether or not my vote was going in.

Thank you Catalyst. :D

Jason said on May 24, 2014 at 7:53 p.m.

How frequently are the results recalculated anyway?

AwakenedWithin said on May 24, 2014 at 8:07 p.m.

Ooo, a TvC list. I was expecting Zero and Ippatsuman on the top from what I've seem, but Volnutt at third? I should watch more Volnutt matches.

CrimsonRex said on May 24, 2014 at 8:24 p.m.

Tekkaman Blade is a low tier?!

PurplePonyJotaro said on May 24, 2014 at 8:38 p.m.

Whoa! EventHubs actually listened. Thank you!. ~<3

Catalyst said on May 24, 2014 at 9:24 p.m.

Once every hour.

Catalyst said on May 24, 2014 at 9:25 p.m.

When tier lists first go up, they take awhile to solidify, so the results will take a bit before they're accurate. Usually a few days does the trick.

DontTaseMeBro said on May 24, 2014 at 11:17 p.m.

Both to be quite honest.

FADCTAUNT said on May 24, 2014 at 11:20 p.m.

3 dead games, awesome site feature!

Kappa

J said on May 25, 2014 at 3:43 a.m.

CvS2 tiers coming too? I imagine it must be tricky with the grooves, 6 different versions of each character...
Would be funny if people could vote on really specific stuff like K-groove Todoh vs. P-groove Todoh.

Fireman110 said on May 25, 2014 at 4:25 a.m.

Valentine all day bro

Fireman110 said on May 25, 2014 at 4:27 a.m.

Peacock makes anybody salty no respect for that character.

Paradonyx said on May 25, 2014 at 5:53 a.m.

Neither do I. Amazing Zoning AND 3 teleports? Bleh. Parasoul's " NOOOOOOOOO" move is barely any help, but now that her air m.k floats better, its a little easier to fight Peacock. I still hate that b**** though.

MarthFE said on May 25, 2014 at 6:22 a.m.

SG seems... Inaccurate

GameLink7 said on May 25, 2014 at 6:32 a.m.

Frank is so LOW on TvC. I think he is one of the best zoning characters in the game,hits hard, has easy supers (except the command grab super, which you can combo into possibly another super), AND he has one of the easiest infinites (launch > command grab cancel).

The main thing he lacks is his normals, in which he can't combo very well (like most others can), but his slide into Beam/Level 3 super makes up for it lol.

Finally his assist? A large area disrupt, meaning he probably don't do much for combos, but to provide opportunities and open up your opponent.

...man, I really wish this game still had support.

~GL

thomaslight said on May 25, 2014 at 6:57 a.m.

So... Squiggly Character Page?

Sadisticcupid said on May 25, 2014 at 9:07 a.m.

yolo sniper every day

Paradonyx said on May 25, 2014 at 9:50 a.m.

LMAO done

I try to save my meter for lvl 3s if its singles. If I'm partnered with Squigly, I become a meter whore.

JiCi said on May 25, 2014 at 5:44 p.m.

TvC deserved much more respect from the FGC...

Maybe if they would JUST have passed the Wii exclusivity, it would have been much better. That's something that annoys me to no end: a good game can be left out because of console exclusivity. Seriously guys? because you're totally ignoring Killer Instinct of XBOX One right now </sarcasm> ¬_¬;

- "The online's crap"
- Well, practice with others in local multiplayer for a change. Your aptitude won't be affected because you're sharing a couch with someone.

I honestly don't have a single clue why this game was Wii exclusive, but honestly, this game beat UMvC3 in every single department, save for visuals and online:
- Better character selection from both sides; yes, I liked characters like Alex, Batsu, Soki and Volnutt. Also Zero, but he got into UMvC3.
- Better balance; tiers exist, but you can get around them with any character.
- Better mecanics; 2-vs-2 meant more HP, Baroque meant more thoughful cancels, Mega Crash meant more careful combos and use of the super meter, each character had 3 super, most had dashes, air dashes and double jumps.
- Better music... for the JPN version at least; the Tatsunoko themes were great, the Capcom themes were more faithful to the series and no obscure theme. Case-in-point: who's the idiot at Capcom who suggested Zero's MMX2's theme instead of his REAL theme from MMX1?
- Better representation; One from each series/IP, including sub-series, something that UMvC3 shoudl have followed... instead of giving us 4 RE characters, 3 DMC characters, 3 DS characters and such...
- The matches just lasted longer and were less predictable; More HP meant more work for players and Mega Crashing could tide the tide at any moment. UMvC3 nowadays is all about getting the first hit and KOing under 10 seconds. What a borefest...
- Yami >>>>>>>>>>>>> Galactus; for once, Capcom didn't go with the SNK Boss syndrome with this one. Don't give me that "you just suck at it" crap, because Galactus has several gameplay flaws, it's just not funny...

Gurpwnder said on May 25, 2014 at 6:46 p.m.

I think Marvel 3's running off TVC's engine, but I agree with most of your points.

Baroque seemed like a great mechanic to me, because it grew stronger dependent on how much red life you burned.

I also liked Mega Crash, and its associated costs. 2 bars and some of your life turning red seemed like a very fair price to pay. I honestly wonder why it didn't show up in Marvel 3, the same animation's used when you correctly guess which way they TAC in Marvel.

JiCi said on May 25, 2014 at 7:09 p.m.

Since Baroque got replaced by X-factor, it caused an emphasis on the decreasing number of characters and last-ditch combos, while in TvC, you could either choose to keep your red life or tag out and refill it. In UMvC3, X-factor buffs and heals all depending on the number of teammates... making it almost an end-game mecanic (read: a comeback mecanic, which Baroque wasn't)

You wonder why Mega crash didn't make it? Because Marvel Vs games were all about long and damaging combos. Right off the bat, players don't like the idea to have their long strings broken. They just don't like breakers in Mahvel apparently... problem is that several players don't like having to drop the controller until their characters are KOed by the same moves over and over...

BTW, MvC3 isn't running on TvC's engine, because I've read that TvC used a "Wii arcade board"... or something akin to an arcade engine similar to the Wii's system. As MvC3 isn't on the Wii, it's safe to assume that another engine was used.

CrimsonRex said on May 25, 2014 at 7:46 p.m.

I love you for this. *Claps*

NoizyChild said on May 26, 2014 at 12:46 p.m.

Mega Crash in Marvel?

Yeah sure, let's go through hell on earth trying to land a hit on Morrigan or Zero, only to have them break the combo and have you start all over again.

Also, say goodbye to Hypers, since you'd be saving all your meter for....you guessed it, Mega Crash.

Also, people didn't pass on TvC because it was on the Wii. They passed on it because the matches took forever to finish, thanks to having to hoard meter for Mega Crash.

No. Let TvC stay where it is.

genocide_cutter said on May 26, 2014 at 1:26 p.m.

TvC gets tier list but not KOF 98 or any Samurai shodown? Ok eventhubs

kanalgravare said on May 26, 2014 at 3:26 p.m.

SG had 63 entrants at UFGT, hardly dead.

Gurpwnder said on May 26, 2014 at 10:15 p.m.

To be fair, TVC is a 2 V 2 instead of a 3 V 3 like UMVC3. Also, Morrigan doesn't have Astral Vision in TVC either.

You're right, it wouldn't work well in UMVC3.