Daigo was 'disappointed' when he won Japan's national tournament for Street Fighter 2 at age 15, talks about 1998 match against Alex Valle on radio

Posted by Cheng Kai 'KarbyP' Sim • May 18, 2014 at 11:17 p.m. PDT

Last month, MCZ|Daigo was invited to be a guest on NHK1's radio show, Suppin Interview.

While on the show, Daigo answered questions submitted by listeners, and also talked about a number of topics with the radio show's hosts -- one of which being his thoughts at the time when he became a national Street Fighter champion at the age of 15, and the world champion at 17.

Female radio host: How did you feel when you became the national champion when you were 15? You must have been thrilled!

Daigo: Hmmm... I can't really say that I felt that way.

Find out why -- as well as Daigo's thoughts going into the match with Alex Valle in 1998 -- after the jump.

Daigo: The meaning behind winning a national tournament and becoming #1 in Japan, is just that you're really good at the game.

But when I was 14 I had already realized that I was really good, and begun to think that I may not be able to find an opponent who's better than me at it.

With a national tournament, there's no telling how strong your opponents might be. So I went into the tournament with certain expectations, only to emerge as the champion.

Female radio host: So you were actually disappointed with the result?

Daigo:Right, I was disappointed. Well, 50% disappointed, and 50% happy about winning.

Male radio host: We're about the same age. And like you, when I was younger, I would go into different arcades to play fighting games, and there'd always be different people to play with so, on one day I might be winning a lot at the arcade close to where I lived, but then when I went into, say, the arcade by the bowling alley, I'd get utterly thrashed by the players there.

Daigo: Yep, yep, that happens a lot.

Male radio host: So doesn't that happen to you?

Daigo: Not anymore, by the time I was 14. That pretty much stopped happening to me.

Female radio host: So, in that sense, after you became a national champion, it was only natural that you'd seek to enter a world tournament, I suppose?

Daigo: At the time, even if I wanted to join a world tournament, there was no way for me to find out in which country it would be held, or how I would be able to sign up for it.

Although within Japan, I knew where all the popular arcades were... outside of Japan, I didn't know where a world tournament might possibly be held.

When I was 17 and finally made it into a world tournament, it was for a different game (Street Fighter Alpha) than the one I was national champion in, at 15.

What happened was, when this different game first came out, it was announced that there'd be a world tournament for it. Prior to that, there hadn't been any world tournaments for fighting games -- this was probably the first.

And after that (Street Fighter Alpha) tournament concluded, *chuckles* for a while there weren't any world fighting game tournaments either. There was just one world tournament when I turned 17, and then for a while there weren't any.

Female radio host: How did you hear about that world tournament then?

Daigo: At the arcades, there were posters proclaiming that a new fighting game was coming out soon. And on the posters, it said that a world tournament would be held. So everybody knew about it.

Female radio host: And where was this world tournament held?

Daigo: The place was in America. I think it was... San Francisco. The way it worked was that, there was a Japan national tournament, and the champion of that would go on to face the winner of the American tournament at the grand finals.

Female radio host: And so you went over there for the world tournament. At the time you were a student, so what did you tell your school as the reason for your absence of leave?

Daigo: *Laughs* Well, I didn't tell them anything! I couldn't possibly tell them that I was going away to focus on video games.

Female radio host: *Laughs* Okay, so you came up with some kind of excuse for it, and took an absence of leave from school... but at the time, you were in high school, right? Taking an absence of leave from high school must have been pretty big deal. Did you feel like, you've absolutely got to come back with the trophy to make this trip worth being away from school for?

Daigo: Erm, no. In the first place I really wasn't that serious as a student.

Female radio host: *Breaks out in laughter* Ah, was that the case?

Male radio host: Despite how serious he takes his gaming, when it comes to his studies, it's completely different. There's a huge difference, in terms of aspirations.

Female radio host: Well then, how did you feel going into the world tournament?

Daigo: To be honest, even though like Japan there was also a tournament being held in America, what I thought was that, there's no way the level of competition there could possibly match that of Japan's. Japan probably has the best scene, so in all likelihood I'm definitely going to bag the trophy.

Or at least, that was what I thought at the time.

In reality, the level of competition was actually quite high, and it was a really close grand finals.

Daigo explained that in the grand finals, he was very close to losing. The finals had been best-out-of-three-games, with each game being best-out-of-five rounds.

Alex Valle took the first game, won the first two rounds for the second game, and was literally on tournament point. But Daigo managed to make a comeback from the brink of defeat.

And thus, history was made.

Comments

perfume said on May 18, 2014 at 11:25 p.m.

SnakeX said on May 18, 2014 at 11:26 p.m.

Daigo Umehara: Master in the arcades, dunce in the classroom!

MCZ_RZR_EG_Jack said on May 18, 2014 at 11:26 p.m.

omg daigo be my husbando plssss

tonsetzer said on May 18, 2014 at 11:27 p.m.

"You must have been thrilled!"

Daigo: Hmmm... I can't really say that I felt that way.

-----

There has to happen a lot more than winning a national tournament to get Daigo thrilled. Daigo, the Zen Master.

ArkticDark said on May 18, 2014 at 11:27 p.m.

I didn't expect this to be boring... darn...

zeuvs3 said on May 18, 2014 at 11:28 p.m.

the beast :D

MosesDef said on May 18, 2014 at 11:31 p.m.

Actually, wasn't there some sort of controversy with the Valle vs Daigo match back in'98? I think it was something along the lines of Valle thinking it was best of three, but it was actually best of five, or vice-versa, and Valle thought it would be best of five when it was actually best of three. Either way, I vaguely recall some sort of drama behind the results.

BladeStunner said on May 18, 2014 at 11:33 p.m.

# stay in school kids

Shdwfox692 said on May 18, 2014 at 11:43 p.m.

What I got from this: if you think you are godlike at fighters,forget about school kids.

Captainbuttocks said on May 18, 2014 at 11:48 p.m.

#white beater

omglonghair said on May 18, 2014 at 11:53 p.m.

daigo comes off a little cocky here to me
maybe im wrong lol

Sasuga said on May 18, 2014 at 11:54 p.m.

Yup, you got one.

Mr_Salt said on May 18, 2014 at 11:56 p.m.

I think you're late for your ban-wagon...

perfume said on May 19, 2014 at 12:09 a.m.

Ginta36 said on May 19, 2014 at 12:16 a.m.

What do you mean you literally asked to be downvoted.

jimmyeatsquaids said on May 19, 2014 at 12:16 a.m.

I don't see the point in your comments. I assume you didn't read the article (because obviously only the evil nerdy fanboys would do so), but you actually take the time to bash the "predictable daigo fanboys" in the comment section?

someone here really needs to find a hobby quick.

perfume said on May 19, 2014 at 12:21 a.m.

blaziner said on May 19, 2014 at 12:26 a.m.

*d*ck rides* diago is boss

Kijui said on May 19, 2014 at 12:33 a.m.

Daigo will never be champ in my eyes. He understands NOT the Path of Saikyo...

Yung said on May 19, 2014 at 12:33 a.m.

Daigo is a little weird.

FalsoL said on May 19, 2014 at 12:35 a.m.

Wow! You are a really really bad guy. Please, don't write other comment like this, I'm so scared. You must be the coolest guy of your neighborhood, no doubt.

Ginta36 said on May 19, 2014 at 12:50 a.m.

Did anyone ever get Daigo to explain how how could have become the best player at the age of 14?

Wintry said on May 19, 2014 at 12:53 a.m.

Funny, I was just watching this very match earlier this morning. Interesting story behind it, never knew about that.

...although, it just makes me miss Alpha that much more.

nebbiez said on May 19, 2014 at 1:14 a.m.

Daigo confirmed as the real life Akuma. He went all around Japan and then to a world tournament looking for someone who might be as strong or stronger than him, then was disappointed to not find anyone.

ZaFuuru said on May 19, 2014 at 1:25 a.m.

Son, I am disappoint

spman2099 said on May 19, 2014 at 1:25 a.m.

Unbearably repetitive dubstep? Or stereotypical, bland rap?

KamfPudding said on May 19, 2014 at 1:35 a.m.

I'm glad to have such a cool guy like you here on ehubs..

Can't await to hear your music in the radio

CaptainPlanet said on May 19, 2014 at 1:41 a.m.

Just watched a compilation of the match between Alex Valle and Daigo in 1998. You can watch it here : http://youtu.be/ldibxXTpA9A

Raven76 said on May 19, 2014 at 2:25 a.m.

doh!... Alex Valle isn't certainly aged well... (Daigo instead is always identical)

sarif2soon said on May 19, 2014 at 2:28 a.m.

"So I went into the tournament with certain expectations, only to emerge as the champion."

Ugh, I hate it when I go to tournaments and only end up winning.

koyomiwa said on May 19, 2014 at 2:29 a.m.

Daigo is the "Beast" Umehara Son !

Atoolkit said on May 19, 2014 at 2:38 a.m.

Alcohol, late nights and money matches take their toll.

foolly said on May 19, 2014 at 2:54 a.m.

How? Which part?

EnsignHiro said on May 19, 2014 at 3:17 a.m.

Lol he didnt care for school? Im surprised. Very interesting article.

ChipsLight said on May 19, 2014 at 3:23 a.m.

Daigo confirmed to be the Ryu of our universe.

JRXP2011 said on May 19, 2014 at 4:13 a.m.

Daigo is a bit too much into this. He's really starting to believe he is Ryu.

dennishubs said on May 19, 2014 at 4:44 a.m.

alex get back to fighting shape please BibleThump

Mr_Salt said on May 19, 2014 at 5:01 a.m.

If Ryu admitted that he never liked school very much, I'd like the character a whole lot more. Not because I relate but I've never seen him talk about anything associated with the world he lives in. Only fighting. Does he even eat? Every other character has a favorite food and we've seen them eat it lol.

gaming99 said on May 19, 2014 at 5:14 a.m.

Also it was like more than 10,000 participant for SF Alpha 3 for Japanese National tournament vs 64 man tournament in America.

Of course, the winner of 10,000 man tournament is better than the winner of 64 man tournament although it was a quite a close match.

Even EVO participant didn't have that much numbers. The biggest number would probably only close to 2000 back in 2010 for SF4.

learis1 said on May 19, 2014 at 5:28 a.m.

I don't know if Daigo should take notes on Ryu or if Ryu should take notes on Daigo.

McAl said on May 19, 2014 at 5:29 a.m.

Traditional diet in the east and the west are very different. You become what you eat.

J said on May 19, 2014 at 5:31 a.m.

10,000? Please provide a source for these numbers.

Liam_Butler said on May 19, 2014 at 5:49 a.m.

Whenever I go try hard, I tell them "I'm putting on the Wife Beater, let's gooooooo!"

nitrocan said on May 19, 2014 at 5:55 a.m.

@perfume:

So no one really likes your comments I take it?

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 6:05 a.m.

gammabolt17 said on May 19, 2014 at 6:17 a.m.

My dude just said "f*ck school".

JimmyLoves said on May 19, 2014 at 6:22 a.m.

Now, just waiting for Xian to come in this thread, to say Justin Wong is the greatest fighting game player of all time because of his MVC2 results, and the fact he finished top 8 in Sf4: back in 2009 (5 years ago). lol :)...

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 6:35 a.m.

TECHiSOBA said on May 19, 2014 at 6:46 a.m.

cant seem to find the old archives for Daigo's casuals with the mortals before that Alpha tourny when he was using Guy and Rolento

put_Garuda_in_SFIV said on May 19, 2014 at 6:50 a.m.

Lol, he's always like that. In every interview he's kinda cocky, compared to most of pro players, who are mostly humble. Not hating on Daigo, but he definitely has an ego. And that's ok

evo546 said on May 19, 2014 at 6:52 a.m.

Daigo look the same but alex valle look hella old now LMAO

Rachel_Alucard said on May 19, 2014 at 6:57 a.m.

ElectricBlanka said on May 19, 2014 at 6:57 a.m.

I don't know why everyone finds offense toward Daigo's comments. When you get to a certain level of success, or in Daigo's case seeing as the one, there's bound to be some sort of ego to ago along with it. Just think Muhammad, Messi, or even Iverson, etc. I really don't care if he think's he is unbeatable. In fact I hope he goes on like this. Every community needs a "god" like player. Otherwise, there would be no bar for anyone to reach and the FGC would be boring.

Daigo is the "BEAST" Umehara son!!! ---- Daigo for EVO2K4 Champ.

Gotomaster said on May 19, 2014 at 7:08 a.m.

Its called confidence, not cockiness. I don't know what interviews you've been reading, but he has never come off as cocky. If anything he has come off more as spiritual in his interviews, and compared to a lot of top players, he is more than humble, especially here in the states.

Gotomaster said on May 19, 2014 at 7:11 a.m.

Uhh, there have been plenty of articles surrounding other players as well. Heck, we just got an interview regarding Smug not too long ago. -_-

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 7:17 a.m.

Gotomaster said on May 19, 2014 at 7:19 a.m.

Making a quick caculation? What, on hundreds of articles? Be real. So you hate all the attention Daigo is getting, here's a quick tip, don't bother clicking on the article then. -_-

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 7:27 a.m.

TheMasterPlayer said on May 19, 2014 at 7:41 a.m.

I wonder if Daigo were to have met and played against Tomo Ohira here in the states. If anyone ever heard of this dude, he was supposedly the greates player in Sf2 back in the early to mid 90s according to one of his contemporaries there in the US; though I forgot the his name. But his youtube handle is laakuma.

ChristianDMG said on May 19, 2014 at 7:51 a.m.

So you don't need school if you are a fighting games god? #Kappa

llort said on May 19, 2014 at 7:53 a.m.

As you wish. Let's talk about a player name Remondo02.
He once defeated......some noobs online.
He also......ummm...... He's a nobody that nobody cares about.
Well......back to talking about Daigo!

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 8:06 a.m.

MaysTheCraze said on May 19, 2014 at 8:09 a.m.

There are PLENTY of other players that get spotlight on this site and others! And if you seriously don't want to hear about Daigo, DON'T click on an article about him! It's asinine to click on it just complain about him in the comments section! Just because YOU don't like him doesn't mean NO ONE does!

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 8:10 a.m.

triplethreat99 said on May 19, 2014 at 8:18 a.m.

If only there was a way to NOT click on an article you don't want to read. Hmmmm...

TheMasterPlayer said on May 19, 2014 at 8:21 a.m.

I agree that there are literally a great multitude of great players in Street Fighter and in fighting games in general. However, you must remember that there are only a very small amount of players among this number that are very well known by the community; hence this is what the community in general only care and find interesting for the most part.

Contrast, for example, a player with great skill but who is relatively unknown by the majority of the community (insert any Japanese or any other player here); and compare that to a player like Daigo who is known by most if not, ALL of the people here. Who do you think people will read and care about more?... Daigo, am I right?

Also, eventhubs is a for profit site and hence the site naturally will post articles and news that will stimulate discussion and interest among its readers.

In short, as with all things, people will generally gravitate towards current, interesting, and well known topics of discussion or news. That is just a fact of life my friend.

Gotomaster said on May 19, 2014 at 8:24 a.m.

And you know Daigo how? The only one demonstrating zionist tendencies is you, what with how you are talking down every player you don't like, and talking up so big on the players you like that are less popular. Not saying they aren't praise worthy, as they more than deserve it, but Daigo does as well. Hating someone just because they are popular is not a valid argument, that is like talking down someone for not being good cuz they arent popular. Its a weak mentality, and only serves to make you look bad.

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 8:31 a.m.

Inzzane said on May 19, 2014 at 8:33 a.m.

@rRemondo02: if sites like EH bothering you so much because of to much daigo articles why are you here every day?? Just erase your account and be happy in the world you want to life in. Jeeez almost every comment of you is complaining about his or that....you must have a very boring life dude.

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 8:34 a.m.

TheMasterPlayer said on May 19, 2014 at 8:39 a.m.

Not many people know, let alone discuss a player like the one you mentioned, Tsuigi. People do not just know enough about this player to facilitate discussion.

Do you find it ironic that, as you are talking down on Daigo and his fans on this thread, that this is facilitating discussions and arguments among us? Which is exactly the point I was trying to make.

I doubt that this would be the case for a player like Tsuigi or any other not so well known player.

ShadowGeno said on May 19, 2014 at 8:47 a.m.

The banner looks like a comparison of Daigo rendered on the PS4 (left) and how he previously looked on the PS1 (right) ...

LOL

TheMasterPlayer said on May 19, 2014 at 8:50 a.m.

lol! Good eye bro! Now that you've mentioned it. That comparison is spot on!

1998 Daigo looks like a Character from Tekken 2. And 2014 Daigo looks like a character from Tekken 6. lol.

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 8:59 a.m.

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 9:08 a.m.

Aluppoj said on May 19, 2014 at 9:13 a.m.

We should talk about, or be interested in players that we don't know about?

That's fantastic reasoning.

Instead of trolling here, why not go bother the Secret players that are on Daigo's level. Tell them to get off of their GDLK a$$es and make a living with their talent (as Daigo does).

Tell them greatness awaits them.

Btw, in most Japanese polls and interviews I've read the Japanese players themselves are the ones who rank Umehara as one of the best in the country.

Wake up call: Daigo is amongst the best because he's been putting in work for like 20+ years. Hard work earned him his fans.

Gotta go now, I'm off to worship some hockey players that only I've heard of, that way I can go online and scream at people about how my unknown players are better than Wanye Gretzky.

Because then I'll be cool. ; ) thumbs up.

triplethreat99 said on May 19, 2014 at 9:30 a.m.

You do realize that your creating more comments, discussions on a Daigo thread; therefore, it will lead to more Daigo posts, since your making it more popular.

You're like those people who complain about the Kardashians and say "Just go away!" but won't stop clicking on their articles.
Guess what. If you don't like them. DONT CLICK OR COMMENT ON THEIR ARTICLES!!!!! You're just helping them become more popular.

I would have thought this was common sense, guess not.

llort said on May 19, 2014 at 9:33 a.m.

Did you get that Catalyst? The great Remondo02 said you are doing a terrible job at managing your site. You better comply with his demands and stop posting so much Daigo stuff or.... or he's going to get really angry and cry some more. And he also wants you to change the domain from eventhubs.com to eventhubs_for_nobodies_like_remondo02.... Do the right thing Catalyst, for Remondo02's sake.

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 9:38 a.m.

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 9:41 a.m.

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 9:45 a.m.

hardbodycore said on May 19, 2014 at 9:46 a.m.

Remondo is top 3 most annoying people posting on EH currently.

Why do u complain about everything? Unless it has to do with france or underground japan lmao.

Some advice? How about choosing which topics interest you read and participate in them,
And ones such as these, that you obviously hate so much, why dont u leave them to the people that care?

See, everyone wins.
Eventhubs isnt gonna change their posting format for you.

On another note: the only thing this article taught me , is that daigo is a rebel. Isnt education stressed beyond importance in japan? This kid was ditchin 9th grade class to whoop on americans in SF. What a goon.

Aluppoj said on May 19, 2014 at 9:47 a.m.

Yeah, we are all aware that other great players exist. That's fairly obvious.

However,

If they want their own feature articles, they're going to have to earn them. Just like Daigo did.

; )

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 9:49 a.m.

llort said on May 19, 2014 at 9:53 a.m.

Complaining to Catalyst? No buddy. I'm on your side. I'm trying to help you. And me salty? What do you mean? By salty, do you mean like this private message you just sent me and then blocking me right after?

"Talk to me one time again like that, I sweer, I'll destroy you on EH until you will stop posting here.

First and last time I tell yo that, âsshole."

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 9:55 a.m.

urien said on May 19, 2014 at 9:56 a.m.

perfume and redmondo02 are just a simple of haters that hates for the sake of being different.
Its usually a teenager thing and i think they already hit puberty.

As for redmondo ,im pretty sure his street fighter level is really basic,he took a position which he's intitled to but probably doesnt know about zoning ,footsies.

he probably think Umehara is spamming fireball along the thousands scrubs lurking on youtube.
I hope someone challenges him and show him that reality and facts hits hard bro.
He will probably changes opininion when he gets more SF experience.
And i really don't know where you got that kuroda BS but its not true.
The cockiest player ever existed on 3.3 is actually KURODA!!
I remember playing him in 2009 after a danisen ranking ,he didnt answer my greetings.
And the fact that justin wong himself along with ricky and another ken player were saying he was extremely cocky and rude .
But it seems that recently he's being more humble .

As for perfume ,lol ,well you know what they say ,haters gonna hate.

@redmundo
believe me when i tell you ,please watch all umehara video ,youll understand the genius of the dude.
im not one the chunli ken full parry guys.i watched umehara,tokido,kuroda,RX,nuki,hayao way before 2004.
I also believed that kuroda was overrated but after buying his dvd in china ,ive completely change my mind over him and it cost me 2300 dollar salary just to go to play him in japan,so i know what im talking about.

the fact that you are the most studied player on the planet and keep winning is in itself an achievement.
look what happened to infiltration and wao...

hardbodycore said on May 19, 2014 at 9:58 a.m.

You arent the only person that knows about other good players , that are less well known.

Dang man, are u really that trapped inside your own bubble?

You said " i have never met daigo and i never want to" . What kind of hating BS is that? He didnt do anything to you , yet deep inside u have something against him. Why would u never want to meet him?
That means if u see him at a tournament and hes walking your way , your avoiding a man u dont even know because he gets too many articles on event hubs

Off the top of my head i can name 5-10 players that have had articles dedicated to them in the past month who arent diago. So why the hate really?

You need to figure out your motives for your hate and get rid of that dark hado in your soul broski.

Mr_Salt said on May 19, 2014 at 9:59 a.m.

You say stupid people but clearly the beginning of your argument begins with " The community can't evolved!"... Sounds like dubbed anime from the 90's. The bad ones.

hardbodycore said on May 19, 2014 at 10:04 a.m.

Lmao

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 10:07 a.m.

llort said on May 19, 2014 at 10:08 a.m.

No. What you and everyone else here has failed to understand is that Remondo02 has achieved what he was trying to do all along. People aren't really talking about Daigo anymore. We're talking about Remondo02 now. This is his genius. By bitching and moaning so much that he got people talking about a nobody like himself. Pure genius.

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 10:11 a.m.

ltalia90 said on May 19, 2014 at 10:11 a.m.

In other news, it's also Daigo's birthday today.

Extra training.

hardbodycore said on May 19, 2014 at 10:15 a.m.

"My level in sf4 is sh!tty, same goes with 3.3"
"I dont want to learn"

Enough said kids.

Sasuga said on May 19, 2014 at 10:17 a.m.

Then stop talking about him. You are being textbook scrub.

JoeSkee209 said on May 19, 2014 at 10:20 a.m.

FGC hipster

Remondo02 said on May 19, 2014 at 10:20 a.m.

hardbodycore said on May 19, 2014 at 10:21 a.m.

Philipino champ, ricosuave, smug, sabin, list goes on. Its not as one sided as you think.

Its just daigo is at the top... And u hate that

Go to NBA.com. How many players are in that league? Then count how many articles and pictures are of lebron/kobe/durant/melo/cp3.... Of course its the majority, they are on top in their respective sport.

And that will always comes with haters aka you.

TheTHCGamer said on May 19, 2014 at 10:21 a.m.

Lol did you see the pic Daigo isn't identical and I thought my eyesight was bad.

Load more comments