Ultra Street Fighter 4 hits PSN and XBL on June 3rd/4th, retail versions on August 5th - an EventHubs exclusive interview with Combofiend

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • May 15, 2014 at 8:01 a.m. PDT

EventHubs correspondent Jason24cf recently conducted an exclusive interview with Capcom's own Peter "Combofiend" Rosas over at ECT 2014.

The entire discussion focuses on Ultra Street Fighter 4, and Combofiend shared with us the one important bit of information that everyone has been aching to know.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 will be released on the PlayStation Store on June 3rd and on the Xbox Live Marketplace on June 4th. The digital version of the game comes at a price tag of $14.99 USD.

The digital upgrade will be released first, and the disc-based version will follow on August 5 for $39.99 USD. PC players can look forward to a retail and digital copy on August 8th.

This interview is packed with juicy information, and we've also added a transcript with some of the standout bits. Hit the jump to check it out.

Ultra Street Fighter 4 interview transcript

• Capcom is currently taking feedback from players in Japan who are putting in time with the arcade release of USF4. That feedback is being applied to the console build of the game.

• There will be new changes in the console version that Japan isn't aware of, and western users will be given Training Mode, which Combofiend feels will make up for the early overseas release.

• Due to lack of Training Mode in Japan arcades, Combofiend says that many players are afraid to try out new characters or changes because it costs $1 to play a game.

• Guy's kara Tatsu cancel into other special moves will be removed in the console version.

• Ken's crouching medium kick is being reverted back to its AE v2012 form.

• Combofiend originally felt that the nerf to Dragon Punch, FADC was a little drastic, but the majority of users approved of it. He now feels that the change adds more of a mind game to the situation.

• There will be no option to show hitboxes in-game.

• Combofiend says that there are no tweaks to the netcode at this time, but they are aware of the request.

• T. Hawk, Blanka, and others have gotten immensely better in USF4.

Official press release from Capcom

Ready to… FIGHT? Capcom today announced that the digital upgrade versions of Ultra Street Fighter IV will release across North America on June 3rd for PSN (PlayStation 3) and on June 4th from the Xbox Live Games Store (Xbox 360 games and entertainment system from Microsoft). On August 5th, the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 retail versions will be in stores, with the full digital bundle on PS3 available for download then too. Both the digital upgrade and full digital bundle for PC (Steam) will be out on August 8th.

Players who pre-order any version of Ultra Street Fighter IV at select retailers will receive the 2014 Challengers Costume Pack, consisting of alternate costumes for each of the five new characters for free. The five new costumes include: Jungle Elena, Medieval Hugo, Pirate Poison, Wizard Rolento and Gladiator Decapre. The pre-order program officially kicks off today, so be sure to check out the alternate costume character art and new trailer here! More information on the pre-order promotions will be available on the official Street Fighter website and on Capcom-Unity in the coming weeks.

In Ultra Street Fighter IV, Poison, Hugo, Elena, Rolento and Decapre join the fight, complete with new animations and their own unique play styles, bringing the final roster count to a massive 44 characters. Six new battle environments (including Pitstop 109, Cosmic Elevator, Half Pipe and more) provide a thrilling and colorful backdrop to the action. Direct fan feedback was gathered on all of Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition’s original 39 characters and core system mechanics in order to achieve the most balanced Street Fighter ever. In addition to the action-packed new content and the finely-tuned rebalanced gameplay, the new version features a host of new features and modes that are sure to test even the most well traveled world warrior.

PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PC owners of Super Street Fighter IV or Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition will be able to download Ultra Street Fighter IV as a $14.99 digital upgrade. The full digital bundle for PC is priced at $29.99 and PS3 users can download the full version of the game for $39.99. PS3 and Xbox 360 users can purchase the retail versions of the game for $39.99. Players who purchase the retail versions (PS3, Xbox 360) or full digital bundles (PS3, PC) will receive all previously released costumes for the series, making this the definitive version of Street Fighter IV!

Comments

MarcwithaC said on May 15, 2014 at 8:03 a.m.

Sweet! It's on the day of my last exam so I've got all the time in the world to get in some training. Can't wait to get back onto the streets.

IkI said on May 15, 2014 at 8:04 a.m.

I'm asking right now my days off for this week!

Valiantheart said on May 15, 2014 at 8:07 a.m.

Where is my PC version, Combo?

Mark_Bruder said on May 15, 2014 at 8:07 a.m.

Waiting a list with all the new changes.

TheGodOfPez said on May 15, 2014 at 8:07 a.m.

FINALLY!!!

bendermac said on May 15, 2014 at 8:07 a.m.

Quote: T. Hawk, Blanka, and others have gotten immensely better in USF4.

we'll see about blanka how much he got. i have no high hopes, that he actually will be better. a few little buffs and some stupid nerfs. overall he may not change that much. but we'll see.

tidestick said on May 15, 2014 at 8:08 a.m.

And we have liftoff

Ett said on May 15, 2014 at 8:08 a.m.

!@#$% Capcom !@#@#$

Bathory said on May 15, 2014 at 8:09 a.m.

Us PC gamer get f**ked so hard.

MN7 said on May 15, 2014 at 8:10 a.m.

My body is ready.

Dreamking23 said on May 15, 2014 at 8:10 a.m.

Just added to the story. Digital and retail PC version drops on August 8th.

DORMWORM said on May 15, 2014 at 8:10 a.m.

I love everybody

zombiebrian said on May 15, 2014 at 8:12 a.m.

Sweet some of my time of work coincides with this

Pinky said on May 15, 2014 at 8:12 a.m.

No hitbox in training??? Why not?

I'm quite disappointed about that but at least they say that some of the lower tier characters have gotten buffed.

Overall glad that they are sticking with the DP FADC nerf and are giving us training stage to give us free training stage to help train for the competition.

Natehawke said on May 15, 2014 at 8:15 a.m.

I'm a little surprised they've not tried to improve the netcode at all. SSFIV:AE2012 is kinda-sorta OK online at best, and there are a lot of fighting games out there that makes it look really bad in comparison now.

Personally, after playing Blazblue: Chrono Phantasma online a lot recently, a game that has big fat red 0 bar connections that consistently play better than AE 4 bar connections, AE is really painful to go back to.

wesleykerching said on May 15, 2014 at 8:16 a.m.

Dreamking23 - did Peter confirm if that date covered Europe/UK?

Randy_114 said on May 15, 2014 at 8:18 a.m.

Rats I want the bundle edition for the costumes but I don't wanna wait till august.

TheGodOfPez said on May 15, 2014 at 8:18 a.m.

no tweaks to the netcode at this time = </3

htownboss23 said on May 15, 2014 at 8:21 a.m.

PS4 and XBOX ONE come on capcom u suck

EG2 said on May 15, 2014 at 8:22 a.m.

Sure, but changing the underlying netcode to a game is a massive task.

Virtua_Kazama said on May 15, 2014 at 8:25 a.m.

Just in time for my internship too. Amazing.

Igydigital said on May 15, 2014 at 8:25 a.m.

Sweet my birthday is June 2!

The_Big_Boss said on May 15, 2014 at 8:26 a.m.

Great interview Jason!

Doopliss said on May 15, 2014 at 8:26 a.m.

Should've confronted him about Seth. Also trials.

jason24cf said on May 15, 2014 at 8:26 a.m.

A full change log will be published at the end of the month.

Sagateee said on May 15, 2014 at 8:28 a.m.

GoexArg said on May 15, 2014 at 8:30 a.m.

JAJAJAJAJAJAJAJA , f*** you crapcom! -.-"

DrDevice said on May 15, 2014 at 8:32 a.m.

They said there will be new trials for everyone including the ae characters who didn't have them.

Beharii said on May 15, 2014 at 8:35 a.m.

Can someone please answer this since I don't fully understand.

What about windows live version of SSF4AE, do we also get the digital upgrade or do we have to buy the full game, since marketplace isn't working?

PoisonKiss said on May 15, 2014 at 8:40 a.m.

Digital Upgrade, will not come with the customs of the new characters?

jason24cf said on May 15, 2014 at 8:40 a.m.

Capcom will answer that question at a later date. I asked that question in the interview

jason24cf said on May 15, 2014 at 8:41 a.m.

Only disc version will include the costumes via preorder. They will then become available at a later date I assume

jason24cf said on May 15, 2014 at 8:41 a.m.

ArcticTabasco said on May 15, 2014 at 8:43 a.m.

This is totally off topic, but Jason - where'd you get that sweet T-shirt?

Shinkutatsumaki said on May 15, 2014 at 8:45 a.m.

Oh man that ending was so perfect xD
Very awesome interview overall. Thanks Jason

jason24cf said on May 15, 2014 at 8:47 a.m.

Eternal Rival. Its one of their older shirts. They may still have it.

Atrkl said on May 15, 2014 at 8:49 a.m.

Why PC gotta wait so long? ;_;

xianmsg said on May 15, 2014 at 8:50 a.m.

ChenNekomata said on May 15, 2014 at 8:50 a.m.

Btw, don't you think, that PS3-users will have unfair advantage over Xbox-users since it'll be released there later?

HiryuMK said on May 15, 2014 at 8:50 a.m.

Did Combofiend mention if they will change Akuma's & Gouken's theme to their real theme (secret boss)?

Redgouf said on May 15, 2014 at 8:50 a.m.

So... Do we have to wait until the Physical Copies ship for the new costumes? Or do they come with a pre-order for the Digital Copies also? Errr.... where can we even pre-order the digital copies? I can't find anything for PSN...

Check895 said on May 15, 2014 at 8:51 a.m.

"• There is still no confirmation of online Edition Select, but Capcom is definitely aware of the demand for it.

• There will be no option to show hitboxes in-game. "

Lazy Capcom is lazy.

RpDrizzy said on May 15, 2014 at 8:52 a.m.

Get Hype!

sora3960 said on May 15, 2014 at 8:52 a.m.

If we have a sfxt save do we get the costumes?

ChenNekomata said on May 15, 2014 at 8:55 a.m.

Only costumes from SFxT.

Green016 said on May 15, 2014 at 8:56 a.m.

As usual pc players get shafted. Also when Capcom says, "we're aware of the request" that means we hear you but don't give a crap and won't do anything.

RYU81 said on May 15, 2014 at 8:57 a.m.

seem no trial for new charachers.thats bad.

RpDrizzy said on May 15, 2014 at 8:59 a.m.

To deal, if you play with WIFI connection then stop and switch to wired it helps the problem a whole lot more and is the best way to play fighting games. That said, yes their will still be lag but at-least the lag is very minimal...

Redgouf said on May 15, 2014 at 9 a.m.

Found the answer to my own question, right on the USFIV website:

"CONSOLE DIGITAL UPGRADE:
JUNE 3, 2014
PRE-ORDER LINKS COMING SOON"

RpDrizzy said on May 15, 2014 at 9:01 a.m.

No the costumes only come with the Pre-order disk

RpDrizzy said on May 15, 2014 at 9:03 a.m.

Naw I could really care less with those, but look at so many other features they added

Beharii said on May 15, 2014 at 9:04 a.m.

I read through didn't watch it at first. I know one thing for sure though, if I have to buy it it will be the third full sf4 game I purchase and think this is pretty discriminating for the part of costumers that purchased the windows live version.

Frankiiee said on May 15, 2014 at 9:04 a.m.

Wait is this only north america release what about Europe we can't even preorder it here on UK Amazon anyone know about this?

RpDrizzy said on May 15, 2014 at 9:06 a.m.

Also, a great internet provider helps...

put_Garuda_in_SFIV said on May 15, 2014 at 9:11 a.m.

I'm in a serious dilemma, guys please share your opinions:

I don't know if I should get only the update on June 3rd or if I should wait until the disc retail version, because I don't have ANY of the costumes' DLCs. Are they worth? Or should I buy just the digital update?

massi4h said on May 15, 2014 at 9:12 a.m.

I want all the old costumes I stopped purchasing after MVC3 came out, but I obviously want to get the game on day 1. I'm annoyed that I would need to purchase a retail copy of the game a month later to get said costumes...

Smorgasboard said on May 15, 2014 at 9:12 a.m.

Cool. Can I pre order on steam and get all the costumes?

jason24cf said on May 15, 2014 at 9:20 a.m.

if you use the entire cast and like the costumes get the disc, if you use 1 or 2 characters get the DLC

xShonuffx said on May 15, 2014 at 9:26 a.m.

IS there any way to get ahold of Combofiend personally? I've been trying to find a way to tell him that Goukens and Akumas theme does not play in the current version of USFIV. Its been like that since Super and I feel it kind of sucks we don't get to hear their original theme when we fight them. Hoping to get ahold of him to pass the information along, it seems like a huge oversight.

Fireman110 said on May 15, 2014 at 9:27 a.m.

Yes, i hope i don't have to work june 3rd, so i can play this all day.

AriesWarlock said on May 15, 2014 at 9:29 a.m.

Not happy with Juri having her cr. MK returned to 6 frames.

maxi2099 said on May 15, 2014 at 9:30 a.m.

You guys should have asked about what will be of us PC players who bought the retail version, since Capcom still does not clarify this.

devilcuco said on May 15, 2014 at 9:32 a.m.

Great news.. ty capcom.

What about rematch button in endless?

Superspecs said on May 15, 2014 at 9:35 a.m.

My body is ready

DannyBoyPERU said on May 15, 2014 at 9:42 a.m.

We need the hitboxes !!!!!

put_Garuda_in_SFIV said on May 15, 2014 at 9:47 a.m.

Thanks Jason, great advice

Huggiez said on May 15, 2014 at 9:50 a.m.

Does anyone know if the Download version includes all existing DLC (Old costumes) or just the Retail version does?

#TimeToGetPaid

FINMelchior said on May 15, 2014 at 9:55 a.m.

Is the european USF4 release date the same for PS3 as for NA?

MRN_SirFoxington said on May 15, 2014 at 10:01 a.m.

Thats nice ! 2 weeks away and im about to order that MGL Pro Circuit Tournament controller just for USF4 !

#FeelingDandy

HiryuMK said on May 15, 2014 at 10:01 a.m.

I tried Capcom-Unity's forum and tweeted Combofiend's Twitter and he never answer... :(

hardeepb said on May 15, 2014 at 10:04 a.m.

QUESTION:

If you have the retail SSF4, can you do the digital upgrade to Ultra?

I don't want to have to buy SSF4 digital just to upgrade...

gluemchen said on May 15, 2014 at 10:06 a.m.

I'm really tired of this 1 month console exclusivity BS. I bought AE for PC just like everyone else. Companies need to realize PC community isn't just there to smack a giant "you're a pirate gtfo" sticker on there. Get over yourselves you hypocritical and money hungry asswipes. I'm done.

YouDontKnowMe said on May 15, 2014 at 10:08 a.m.

Yes the retail works fine. Just think of it as DLC for any games.

Kirin said on May 15, 2014 at 10:08 a.m.

Guys, I believe there will be NO retail version for PC.

YouDontKnowMe said on May 15, 2014 at 10:11 a.m.

The disc version is $40. If you really want the costumes I would buy the DLC upgrade for $15 and then buy the costumes for the characters you play with the other $15 you would have spent on the disc. Plus you get it 2 months earlier.

TrueGamingGuru said on May 15, 2014 at 10:12 a.m.

"Get Hype" is going to be the least thing I do, since there really isn't much to get hype. (other than the Edition Mode, extra SFXT costume bonus, & Decapre. Despite Edition Mode isn't going to be online from the start, so far I didn't see much improvements with Decapre's texture nor visuals detail which I do hope it looks more closer to the artwork & comics for Color 1, and also that I've kept SFXT since I've enjoyed the game a lot more despite the disc-locked DLC the only problems I have for one SFXT costume is Decapre's which was not one of the best choices, I'd prefer either Nina's alt or one of the swap costumes which could easily be redesign to fit Decapre)

I'm definitely will plan on getting the DLC (since I own SSFIV back in 2010), and I have 0 expectations for USFIV. In terms of what is new for USFIV, there really isn't much that is new besides from characters (with the exception of Decapre since shes meant to look similar to Cammy since SFA3 & Comics but she is Russian, has a mask, burnt face, & claws), stages, & mechanics.

The only thing new for animations is just 4 SFXT characters with different attacks or play-style (since SFIV has different game mechanics than SFXT), Super & Ultra 2, & few Poses but that's really it. I expected Decapre to have the same standing, walking, & borrow few attacks because she is a Doll and Dolls are programmed to be same. Decapre does play a bit different than Juni & Juli who borrows most of moves from Cammy but have few original.
Now the 6 stages isn't new what so ever (because they're the same as SFXT stages but with few modifications), that be like saying Tekken Revolution has plenty of new battle environments (when its the same as TTT2 just with different lighting & details that makes it more improved). Speaking of colorful, I thought part of the SFXT stages & part of the new intro looks too colorful to the point where it looks out of place. (I've already mentions Decapre's about the texture & visuals) Bottom line, this isn't that promising nor a game you want to get too hype. It is a game where you shouldn't expect that much.

PS. Part of interview proves that Japan doesn't have that much of an advantage since Arcades cost Yen to even play the game. (not enough time to test out characters, making the poll very pointless) Why does the retail versions is available at August?

ALifeOfWinter said on May 15, 2014 at 10:18 a.m.

$14.99 for this game? I thought it was going to be $59.99 or even $49.99! I really want this game now!

TrueGamingGuru said on May 15, 2014 at 10:20 a.m.

Keep in that $14.99 is meant for people who previously purchase SSFIV or SSFIVAE copys (or digital retail releases).

Capcom_Warrior said on May 15, 2014 at 10:26 a.m.

If this update doesn't please you I don't know what will. This is gonna be hella hype!

gluemchen said on May 15, 2014 at 10:30 a.m.

How about an equal multiplattform same date release?

gtfopanda said on May 15, 2014 at 10:32 a.m.

Happy to hear they know there's demand for Edition Select.

It's totally understandable not putting it out in the wild (online), but there's no reason why Edition Select shouldn't at least be available to private lobby, to chill with with friends.

Hopefully they manage to squeeze it in before release, or simply patch it in soon after the game is out.

Capcom_Warrior said on May 15, 2014 at 10:36 a.m.

One of the many perks of being a console gamer! Get off your high horse and buy a console or wait it out for every new release. Lol.

TrueGamingGuru said on May 15, 2014 at 10:36 a.m.

Not saying that I'm not pleased with the update (I do plan on giving this game to go), its just I really don't have much expectations. Its not like this update is going to be terrible, but not one of the big hype. It is all cool that you & everyone are hype for this game, which all it matters.

superpan619 said on May 15, 2014 at 10:37 a.m.

So, if i have the physical console copy, can i get the digital upgrade? or is it just with the digital version?

RedEther said on May 15, 2014 at 10:40 a.m.

Get hype guys we actually have a release date and its really close too!!!

TrueGamingGuru said on May 15, 2014 at 10:40 a.m.

If you own a physical copy (from either SSFIV or SSFIVAE, not counting USFIV), you would definitely need to get the digital update (which would be DLC).

jason24cf said on May 15, 2014 at 10:46 a.m.

Hit him up on twitter. If not him then try Dwagtanion. He is the community manager for the UK side.

rosy said on May 15, 2014 at 10:48 a.m.

Oh well, better late than never

Beharii said on May 15, 2014 at 10:48 a.m.

he did ask about what will happen with the windows live platform, and rosas said that they'll answer that question in time.

superpan619 said on May 15, 2014 at 10:50 a.m.

Thanks!

MRN_SirFoxington said on May 15, 2014 at 10:51 a.m.

Wait, so anybody who owns a disc version of ssf4 /ssf4 ae need to buy the digital version of either ssf4/ssf4 ae in order to update to usf4?

Green016 said on May 15, 2014 at 10:52 a.m.

I feel sorry for the pc players planning on going to EVO. If they don't know anyone with a console they're basically screwed for the tourney.

Hotdiddykong said on May 15, 2014 at 11:02 a.m.

Why suck a long split?

It kinda sucks for those who'll upgrade from Arcade not getting the pre-order costumes

gluemchen said on May 15, 2014 at 11:12 a.m.

So yeah this is how capcom handles actual legitimate issues. http://www.capcom-unity.com/street_fi...

Os said on May 15, 2014 at 11:20 a.m.

what about PS4 and Xbox One?

TrueGamingGuru said on May 15, 2014 at 11:40 a.m.

That is not what I mean and you don't need to buy the digital version of either SSFIV/SSFIVAE. All you just need to do is own the game, if you already own disc version of SSFIV or SSFIVAE that is all you need but you would have to pay for the $14.99 which is DLC.

MRN_SirFoxington said on May 15, 2014 at 11:47 a.m.

i totally got it now thank you for explaining it to me.

I was just confused,my bad.

ltalia90 said on May 15, 2014 at 11:52 a.m.

Good job with the interview.

Doctrine_Dark said on May 15, 2014 at 11:56 a.m.

A lot sooner than I was expecting. I'm so ready!!

MDDsynergy said on May 15, 2014 at 11:59 a.m.

What do you think of Gen in Usf4?

Load more comments