Capcom: 'USF4 YouTube uploads will not be 720p; we decided to proceed with 480p' - Combofiend says a new ranked match leaderboard is set for Ultra

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • May 7, 2014 at 9:03 a.m. PDT

Capcom's own Peter "Combofiend" Rosas recently spoke to PS3 Brazil about the upcoming Street Fighter 4 series update, Ultra Street Fighter 4. Combofiend discusses some of the latest features added to Ultra, character balance, and more.

When asked to shed some light on the YouTube upload function, that which allows any player to upload match replays on to their respective channels, Rosas stated that, unfortunately, the output quality will not be 720p (HD). He explains that the initial plan was to grant players with high-quality uploads, however, the upload time for one match proved too long due to the HD output.

"As we don’t believe players have that much time to wait for their match to be uploaded, in addition to the fact that they are probably more concerned with showing off their latest victory or asking for feedback on their latest match as quickly as possible," he continued, "we decided to proceed with 480p."

Hit the jump to continue reading.

Combofiend goes on to confirm the addition of a third leaderboard in Ultra Street Fighter 4. Not only that, but the Capcom representative states that players in Ultra can not cross-play with players running previous versions of SF4, and will be confined to matching up with only those who have also downloaded the upcoming update.

Considering USF4 will have an all new online stomping ground and no backward compatibility with AE v2012 or any of its descendants, one can conclude that Battle/Player Points will be reset. It looks like Ultra will give every player a fresh start and another chance to grab the #1 spot on the leaderboards.

Source: PS3 Brazil. Tip sent in by RYU81 and David_I.

Comments

sarif2soon said on May 7, 2014 at 9:05 a.m.

480p is fine.

Keetro said on May 7, 2014 at 9:06 a.m.

again w/ a new rank? le sigh

Keetro said on May 7, 2014 at 9:06 a.m.

yes true

kizasoza215 said on May 7, 2014 at 9:08 a.m.

Can someone tell combo to add replay option online

triplethreat99 said on May 7, 2014 at 9:10 a.m.

Cool. Stats reset. Time to get my Sim back to B+.

djgeki said on May 7, 2014 at 9:14 a.m.

Instead of deciding for us, how about giving us the choice between the two options? If the higher video quality option was already tested, why not leave it in there and make 480p the default?

Clamper said on May 7, 2014 at 9:14 a.m.

He also said the PS3 version will still be bad :/

JRXP2011 said on May 7, 2014 at 9:18 a.m.

So as we near release the game keeps getting sh1ttier. Sighs..... capcom pls.

CamracPls said on May 7, 2014 at 9:18 a.m.

@Clamper From what I understand, that's due to the PS3's architecture. I'm not sure it can be avoided, unfortunately.

Skull_007 said on May 7, 2014 at 9:19 a.m.

Is it ONLY 480p or can it be lower as well?

(yeah, bad connection here)

Yung said on May 7, 2014 at 9:20 a.m.

To be fair, asking for 720p would be too much.

Rising_Jaguar said on May 7, 2014 at 9:21 a.m.

why not have all p options?~ :D

BlackOnyxThunder said on May 7, 2014 at 9:22 a.m.

Who asked for that much in the first place?

TheFragile said on May 7, 2014 at 9:22 a.m.

480p is completely fine.

shekeib said on May 7, 2014 at 9:26 a.m.

there should be an option for both, some people are willing to wait. But I'm happy as it gives me a reason to keep all the capture equipment ive bought over the years.

Memanruler said on May 7, 2014 at 9:31 a.m.

At least it isn't 144p.

breveglieri said on May 7, 2014 at 9:34 a.m.

If you have a Xbox One you probably think 480p is High Definition

YorKeY said on May 7, 2014 at 9:38 a.m.

At least it's better than 360P, thanks Capcom.
Now all you have to do is give a new character select screen. Make it randomize between Vanilla SF4 character select theme, Super/AE/ Ultra's, then i'm sold on the PC/360 version for you guys, but then again, i'm already sold. ^_^ Yun/C.Viper weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

PlasmaWaffle said on May 7, 2014 at 9:40 a.m.

What on earth are they thinking! 480p is absolute garbage we are in an era where people won't even watch YouTube videos if they're not 720p... Huge disappointment

Utahsbowser said on May 7, 2014 at 9:45 a.m.

If it is already 720p capable, why not just keep it that way and add the 480 as a secondary option? Some people actually have patience and maybe they want a "super amazing" replay to be uploaded in HD?

The fact is, he is assuming we all are always in a hurry and we don't have time. He has no idea how many people are willing to wait.

mr83martinez said on May 7, 2014 at 9:47 a.m.

It seems that's going down path this update.....

JAYstarrah said on May 7, 2014 at 9:48 a.m.

This is cute, but can I get a rematch button for online 1v1 lobbies please? Thanks.

DaveNotti said on May 7, 2014 at 9:50 a.m.

You must be in a "self-righteous" era or something! What were we doing before YouTube came around? Before higher quality resolutions? Be grateful you're getting anything at all.

If you're that bothered about the quality, go El Gato. Too much money? Be thankful for the FREE option we're getting.

ButterKnife said on May 7, 2014 at 9:50 a.m.

480 is more than enough for Street Fighter. Even 360 is enough. I don't need to see every scar on Zangief's body to enjoy it.

Besides, people who REALLY need HD can just save the replay in game and then record it later with something better.

KingKong said on May 7, 2014 at 9:53 a.m.

480p, 30fps... Welcome to the future.

TheFeistyOne said on May 7, 2014 at 9:54 a.m.

is the ranking system getting an update? Anyone knows this?
The current system seems really flawed..

CaptainPlanet said on May 7, 2014 at 9:56 a.m.

I agree. At least have the option. People with a fast upload speed will probably choose 720p.

DannyBoyPERU said on May 7, 2014 at 10 a.m.

Yahoo !!! We'll have it in less than a month !!!!

Sagateee said on May 7, 2014 at 10:05 a.m.

sarif2soon said on May 7, 2014 at 10:06 a.m.

Dude, if a video is 144p I'd still watch it. I watch videos for the content, not the resolution.

AriesWarlock said on May 7, 2014 at 10:07 a.m.

"We decided"

Ever decided to give people CHOICE?

Hsyn said on May 7, 2014 at 10:13 a.m.

And then there's me who only watch youtube videos in 360p. Hail third world internet. Lol

CosmiicJourney said on May 7, 2014 at 10:14 a.m.

Give people the world and they ask why not the moon? This spoiled generation is truly infuriating. 480p is more than enough.

TheFeistyOne said on May 7, 2014 at 10:15 a.m.

True.

Wasnt quite sure at first. Just picked a random fight from youtube, set it to 480p ... looks good.. it isnt HD obviously but it sure aint "pixelated"

ScottSpain said on May 7, 2014 at 10:16 a.m.

So they've pretty much made the capture feature for critiques. I suppose that's fine.

yaranaika said on May 7, 2014 at 10:18 a.m.

480p is already 720p in Japan.

Xiaoyuken said on May 7, 2014 at 10:21 a.m.

CAN WE GET THAT REAMACTH BUTTON THO?

Eternal said on May 7, 2014 at 10:23 a.m.

USF4 is a free update now? When did they announce this?

VulcanHades said on May 7, 2014 at 10:26 a.m.

inb4 they will sell 720p as DLC. :)

But jokes aside, I'm fine with 480p. It's still an upgrade from gettho cellphone setups.

I was hoping we would be able to add notations within the game (they have all the pretty icons after all!). And Dan overlays for notes lol. I was thinking too big.

I hope I will at least be able to retrieve the videos so I can slightly edit them on PC then upload myself to youtube. Otherwise it's only going to be useful to upload matches, not really for tech/tutorial videos.

kevinkolkje said on May 7, 2014 at 10:27 a.m.

I can only watch at 240. Hail four world Internet!

L said on May 7, 2014 at 10:27 a.m.

Bring back championship mode! The current ranked system is too heart breaking to play on.

TaurusMAGNUS said on May 7, 2014 at 10:29 a.m.

480p is good enough, and for some reason i kinda wanted a pp/bp reset. I just really want this game to hurry and come out. Lol

rosy said on May 7, 2014 at 10:33 a.m.

I think he said about free feature tool for uploading YouTube, not the update of the game

MRN_SirFoxington said on May 7, 2014 at 10:34 a.m.

480P is fine and like a few gentlemen said,we should appreciate that we get something like that in this update !

TheKillerKiwi said on May 7, 2014 at 10:37 a.m.

Now if capcom would actually start banning idiots who boost to 9 and 10k pp then everything will be fine.

MRN_SirFoxington said on May 7, 2014 at 10:37 a.m.

Iam afraid that even a Fine Red Rose cant compete with a woman's beauty !

ninpuncho said on May 7, 2014 at 10:40 a.m.

ONE FRESH START FOR BEGINNERS IS A GOOD IDEA.
I THINK BEGINNERS MUST HAVE THEIR CHANCES.OLD PLAYERS SEEEMS TO HAVE TAKEN OLD HABITS WITH THE ANCIENT SYSTEM BASED ON ATTACK.
THEY HAVE TO MASTER THE NEW MECHANICS AND ADAPT.
BEGINNERS HAVE A FEW DEFENSIVE TOOLS NOW .

nox000 said on May 7, 2014 at 10:42 a.m.

"It's fine" haha 480p is terrible now. I don't see how people can be happy with this news..

TheTHCGamer said on May 7, 2014 at 10:42 a.m.

Here's a easy solution why not let us choose what resolution we want to use.

madsoul242 said on May 7, 2014 at 10:43 a.m.

With no backwards compatibility with older versions, I think battles will be more high skilled. Meaning that mostly dedicated players will probably upgrade to ultra. But conversely, there may be less players when searching for local matches. I remain optimistic.

TheTHCGamer said on May 7, 2014 at 10:45 a.m.

Agreed.

U4iA27 said on May 7, 2014 at 10:47 a.m.

480p is more than sufficient for the action to be visible and coherent but can we finally get replay recording and/or youtube uploads for OFFLINE MATCHES as well??? the last game to do this to my knowledge (and only cuz it didn't have any other choice) is 3rd Strike on the SF Anniversary Collection. which is ridiculous. offline replay recording should've been an option way back when the replay channel came out imo. but now with youtube uploads hopefully offline will be taken into consideration for this feature as well.

General_Awesomo said on May 7, 2014 at 10:50 a.m.

Hey Combo, while you're at it, fix Akuma and Gouken's themes. Switch their dumb Ryu remixes with their original themes from Vanilla SFIV. It's kind of disrespectful to those two.

BlackOnyxThunder said on May 7, 2014 at 10:55 a.m.

You don't have to yell dude. I'm pretty sure everyone can hear you.

Clamper said on May 7, 2014 at 10:55 a.m.

Offline battle log was already announced for Ultra two weeks agora. Only downside is it only auto saves the last 10 matches.

I think it'd be cool if they adopted the japanese arcade style of ranking, i want to see people with those insane amount of points!

VulcanHades said on May 7, 2014 at 10:59 a.m.

Have you been living under a rock? lol they already said we can record and upload offline versus matches too. Which is the main reason why this is good. It will allow the upload of offstream tournament matches.

XeroDgX said on May 7, 2014 at 11 a.m.

Its not free, we're paying for this update, between updates and updates SFIV is over 100 bucks already, so, would you like also that the graphics would like SF EX???, if is already able to upload @720p i don't see the reason why should they think we might no upload at that resolution, if there's a technical issue is ok then, but not because "we think it will take too long to upload", I live in a country where no everyone can afford a 4mb download and 1.5mb upload connection (yes, is garbage as hell) and I upload matches even @1080p, so, what makes them think that Japan, USA, Spain, etc with the huge broadband connection they have won't wait to upload a match of maximum 5 minutes???, STOP BEING SO CONFORMIST, YOU'RE PAYING FOR THIS AND THEY HAVE YEARS MILKING US OUT WITH THE SAME GAME GIVINGS US UPDATE WITH WHAT THE GAME SHOULD AND COULD HAVE BEEN IN THE FIRST PLACE.

This just reminds me when they said SSIV would be the last update in this iteration and that it would be available as a digital update too...

ibukkeke said on May 7, 2014 at 11:01 a.m.

if you want 720p or 1080p play on pc 480p is fine tho.

MRN_SirFoxington said on May 7, 2014 at 11:01 a.m.

A fresh start into the leaderboards !

Starting the very first day i will Whore ranked battle and will going in with a buffed Dudley *Kreygasm*

Hopefully i will make more than 2k pp/bp Kappa.

tsgrimey said on May 7, 2014 at 11:05 a.m.

No need for 720p unless you plan on watching on a huge screen, which I doubt. 480p is actually not too bad. Although, they should allow 720p, since it is a replay. If the upload takes forever, that's the fault on the player, and they'll just have to wait. Also give option to upload between 480p or 720p...

ModAL said on May 7, 2014 at 11:05 a.m.

NO HE CAN'T STOP YELLING CAUSE THAT'S HOW HE TALKS!!! HAVE YOU NOT SEEN HIS MOVIES?

EXCh33ky said on May 7, 2014 at 11:06 a.m.

Thank Fing jeez. Upload to our respective channels. Thank you!!!

YouDontKnowMe said on May 7, 2014 at 11:11 a.m.

You do know that you don't have to purchase Ultra right? I mean you complain about them milking "us" for years like they are forcing you to give them your money. If you don't think the product they're providing is worth the money then simply don't buy the product.

devnullish said on May 7, 2014 at 11:12 a.m.

We are getting semi-close to the date in june, but have they actually given a solid date Ultra as DLC will be available?

BlackOnyxThunder said on May 7, 2014 at 11:12 a.m.

WAAAHT, I CAN'T HEAR U!!! :P

U4iA27 said on May 7, 2014 at 11:14 a.m.

really now? my mistake. i guess i missed that update. This alone is something I've been waiting or since way back in the Sf anniversary days to come back. def glad its making a return for the final installment of this series. hopefully this will become a STAPLE feature for all future fighting games moving forward. thanks btw.

McAl said on May 7, 2014 at 11:22 a.m.

Question, will elimination mode be an online only feature?

Solidus187 said on May 7, 2014 at 11:24 a.m.

Better than whatever resolution 3SO launched with.

Eternal_Flame said on May 7, 2014 at 11:26 a.m.

Although I do somewhat agree 480p is fine. there is nothing wrong with having more options.They already said it was possible just takes a while. I don't know why its hard to have an option to do both.

metaf4 said on May 7, 2014 at 11:29 a.m.

Honestly, I want to care but I know I won't be impressed....Im not going to sit there and sift through a million uploaded vids now on a Capcom Youtube page.

I remember when 3rd strike had the uploads mode and at the beginning it was so annoying when you wanted to look up a good match just to find THOUSANDS of below par matches of stupid matchups and characters chucking fireballs the entire game and taunting...This feature may end up only saturating the fighting community more where it will be so hard now to find quality vids. I can imagine putting in the word "Ultra" in YouTube search bar and it will be a disaster in the results, and be almost impossible to find good and useful content to watch.

Don't get me wrong, this mode is great if only high tier users were the ones uploading...but we all know this won't be the case.

The only solution I can see is if Capcom makes actual "Tier List" playlists for the page....this way we will know already that the videos uploaded are from people with certain rank points or Player points.

Example: This would eliminate me wasting my time cliking on a scrub 1000PP upload of Hawk vs. Blanka to help me compared to a Pro level 3000+PP matchup of the same characters that WILL help me in seeing high level matchup strategies..

RedRapperSux said on May 7, 2014 at 11:41 a.m.

You don't need 720p to upload a video of you beating someone who doesn't know how to play.

XeroDgX said on May 7, 2014 at 11:51 a.m.

Is milking because the sold me the first product saying something, and in the last second they change to something else.....for example: would you like to rent a house with parking for a year for 10000US and then in the month 4 they tell you that you need to pay 5000us more for keeping the parking for the rest of the year???.......it was supposed to be included in the year you rented in the first place......well, is something like that.

So, my point is, if we paying AGAIN for this, then, add nice things, make it worth paying for it, not just "add whatever you want capcom, in fact, don't add anything at all, we still paying for this."....that's all

mrambitious said on May 7, 2014 at 12:24 p.m.

We still want and need you to buy game capture devices so we restricted the resolution to encourage any legitimate up-loaders, streamers, or players to have to still purchase HD recording devices, otherwise your stuck with distorted @$$ 480p.

Be prepared for thousands of uploads a day of just "HADOKEN HADOKEN HADOKEN HADOKEN" and nothing legitimate to ever come of this feature.

xFNEx said on May 7, 2014 at 12:24 p.m.

I can't believe people are complaining when Capcom gives you the option to upload both online and OFFLINE matches directly to YouTube. With all of the complaining, why would Capcom even bother putting so much work into this game?

mrambitious said on May 7, 2014 at 12:33 p.m.

Anything below 720 is nearly un-watchable on my 15.1" screen laptop. Maybe you leave youtube out of full screen mode so you can continue uploading selfies or whatever your into, but I like to see whats going on in full screen, 480 is distorted and choppy on any screen larger than a cell phone. In fact at this very second I'm watching a BBCP video, since I'm commenting I have it little and yea its fine at 480. Click full screen and it looks like poo. I can hardly even see half the effects and definitely cannot see anything once the camera angles get all wild and crazy.

Call me picky, but I literally want to see every single frame of what is happening in a match, especially an exhibition match between pro's. What is missed cannot be made up for. How can anyone expect to learn the proper timing on 1f link if the video showing said link is distorted and fuzzy when you full screen it?

bagel_bytez said on May 7, 2014 at 12:40 p.m.

Nice Chappell reference :)

Mr_Pyro said on May 7, 2014 at 12:50 p.m.

Well... time to keep using FRAPS.

snakeeater91 said on May 7, 2014 at 12:51 p.m.

Doesn't matter,all we need is for a clear image for both fighters,and for uploads to head to our personal accounts not a Capcom Channel.

courtesy_strike said on May 7, 2014 at 12:51 p.m.

are courtesy hits coming back?

aoi said on May 7, 2014 at 1:01 p.m.

Real men watch at 480p

tsgrimey said on May 7, 2014 at 1:36 p.m.

I recall the 3S videos I uploaded in the past did not contain the online player names. I wonder if that is the case for USF4?

Existent said on May 7, 2014 at 1:44 p.m.

Why not provide the option? Is it so hard to give someone a choice between the two?

shadowhumane said on May 7, 2014 at 1:45 p.m.

yes thank you combo fiend that's good news to everybody i will be looking forward to matches even tough nobody post them on YouTube some do but not everybody but i wish i can do commentary with my matches together except uploading one video at a time im just buying capture card

bushin_dunks said on May 7, 2014 at 1:53 p.m.

Guys remember, it's only one video at a time. At 720p you could be Waiting ages! Plus I don't think you can jump in another match while its uploading that clutch victory. So if this reduces the time it takes to upload I'm all for it. I currently use a live gamer portable and it records amazingly but its so time consuming! This solves those problems. So stop asking for so damn much! It's a whole lot better then nothing so be a little grateful at least

PlasmaWaffle said on May 7, 2014 at 2:20 p.m.

Lol didn't mean to sound like a spoiled prick, but I don't want to have to sift through 480p videos for the next several years when 4K is becoming the standard. Anyways I think it would be best if they gave us an option in the settings to choose 480p or 720p.

tidestick said on May 7, 2014 at 3:38 p.m.

I don't know about yall but I think I won't be uploading any of my matches. Got other things to do with my time.

Dblock209 said on May 7, 2014 at 3:57 p.m.

I dont know why you guys even bother posting articles like this anymore...you know it's going to draw out all these spoiled kids who think they are better programmers than guys who have been doing this for years.

480p uploads is more than fair. Hey it could be worse, we could get nothing at all.

P.S....good thing my anti virus program blocks ads now. I wouldn't pay a cent to this site if all I'm going to read is a bunch of complaining.

MissBimbo said on May 7, 2014 at 4:08 p.m.

I think 720p uploads will be DLC.
And don't be surprised to see a bundle package with 1080p upload DLC.

RaiKageRyu said on May 7, 2014 at 4:28 p.m.

A game that doesn't even let you record the game at it's natural resolution......

SummerUndercover said on May 7, 2014 at 5:28 p.m.

In other news, Japanese uploaders were outraged to find out that no 113.24p will be made available.

Kidding :)

EG2 said on May 7, 2014 at 6:17 p.m.

For those complaining, can you say for certain how much time a 720p clip vs a 480p clip would take to upload for this game? You can't. It might be slow as hell for a 720p clip. No one her knows exactly how long it would take.

Panic_Ave said on May 7, 2014 at 6:33 p.m.

I'm just glad you guys added the ability to upload matches directly from the game, thanks Capcom and Combofiend. That being said, it would be cool if you could somehow let players choose between 480p or 720p for people who do have the time to wait. Either way, it's a great feature.

Cauptain said on May 7, 2014 at 6:36 p.m.

480p for 3D game like SF4 and TTT isnt good. Bad choice.

look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhJbS...

rosy said on May 7, 2014 at 7:29 p.m.

Well, I feel sorry for you. I hate to say this but you live in a real world, not a dreamland. You can't get everything you want.

umad said on May 7, 2014 at 7:39 p.m.

Haha anyone that believes this is stupid. The reason that there isnt 720 is simple $$$.

DontTaseMeBro said on May 7, 2014 at 8:52 p.m.

LOL

Sasuga said on May 8, 2014 at 12:06 a.m.

It would be a good thing of the uploading took some time. So that not everyone and their mothers will upload the match where they took out the high ranked player.

Sasuga said on May 8, 2014 at 12:07 a.m.

Every game.....

XeroDgX said on May 8, 2014 at 5:07 a.m.

Sad but true...

Amerika said on May 8, 2014 at 8:59 a.m.

That's a weird decision to make. Just give people the option. If it takes too long and it's not important to them then they will choose the lower quality. I swear companies treat console players like they are the dumbest people on the planet and can't make simple decisions like "should I wait 3 minutes or 10 minutes".

Load more comments