Ultimate cosplay? Photos of Kitana, Sonya, Liu Kang and more surface in full costume for cancelled HD remake of Mortal Kombat

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • May 6, 2014 at 8:53 p.m. PDT

Make-up artist Tanea Brooks put up photos of the cancelled Mortal Kombat HD remake on to her website.

These actors would have been playing Kitana, Sonya, Liu Kang and more. They're shown here in full costume, but Midway's initial plan got axed, and we ended up with Mortal Kombat Kollection in its place.

Despite the fact this will likely never see the light of day, it's kind of cool to see a behind the scenes look at how Midway planned on putting the project together. Hit the jump to see all of the photos.

Click images for larger versions

Images from Tanea Brooks via JustPushStart.

Comments

RA_MO said on May 6, 2014 at 8:54 p.m.

They may as well go through with it

Oroku_Saki said on May 6, 2014 at 8:58 p.m.

Nooooooooooooooooooo.These look awesome.
So you're telling me, we would have gotten MK 1/2/3 in HD.
Dammit all. Well, here's to hoping we get them on the XB1 or PS4

MANDINGO said on May 6, 2014 at 9:09 p.m.

DMAN367 said on May 6, 2014 at 9:11 p.m.

They probably cancelled cuz they are working on MK10 and Injustice 2...

SqueakyBloom said on May 6, 2014 at 9:14 p.m.

It got cancelled long ago, before Injustice even came out.

danistheman said on May 6, 2014 at 9:17 p.m.

They cancelled this because it was just when WB bought out Midway and WB were the ones that cancelled it.

Otter_of_Death said on May 6, 2014 at 9:24 p.m.

It does look tight, but unless they're going to add new mechanics to the gameplay for MK1 and MK2, I'm not interested.

SeriphAngel said on May 6, 2014 at 9:37 p.m.

I like how I have a discuss this with someone on the site maybe a week ago and they bring up the topic soon after lol.

danistheman said on May 6, 2014 at 9:41 p.m.

well you clearly didn't read the article lol

Dethscythe said on May 6, 2014 at 9:58 p.m.

HAHA, read the article you say, as if...

Xykes said on May 6, 2014 at 10:01 p.m.

What a waste.

Koulda been kool.

Mike_Z said on May 6, 2014 at 10:39 p.m.

I would have bought an HD remix of MK2 and UMK3 *instantly*, and I pretty much never say things like this. It makes me very sad to see Stryker and Shao Kahn in costume and know it will never be.

Otter_of_Death said on May 6, 2014 at 10:39 p.m.

I re-read the post. Where did it say they were adding new gameplay mechanics?

Mopz said on May 6, 2014 at 10:53 p.m.

This could've looked amazing! But eh, WB and their sheety decisions.

GameMaster said on May 6, 2014 at 10:54 p.m.

It didn't. It said the project was scrapped. Thus, there's nothing left for you to be interested in to begin with.

In other words, you seem to have missed the point of this article entirely, I'm afraid.

insanekyo said on May 6, 2014 at 11:07 p.m.

This seemed like a really cool idea for an HD remake. Too bad it didn't happened.

Enter4none said on May 6, 2014 at 11:14 p.m.

C'mon guys, stop pretending you care about anything else besides DAT (HD) ASS on the banner ;) <3

FlynnChop said on May 6, 2014 at 11:26 p.m.

I dunno, man. I'm not convinced anyone would actually spend human money on this.

It's one of those things you look at and go... Huh. Neat. Then you go play a new game instead.

The SF HD remake was one thing; those were hand re-drawn sprites by the Udon guys. This is just taking the same pictures of different actors with a better camera. Eh.

The original MK's were all just photographs of dudes in spandex and parachute-pants in the first place. You need more detail on that? Really?

Otter_of_Death said on May 6, 2014 at 11:31 p.m.

...

Wow. I can't believe I need to explain this, but I'll be as clear as I possibly can: I'm not interested in the IDEA of an HD remake that only visually updates the game. There's no reason to believe any gameplay changes were going to take place, especially since the game was being made by Midway (and Arcade Kollection didn't exist yet).

Again, I can't believe I have to articulate this, but I knew the project was cancelled. I've known since I read the original article last friday on TYM. If I didn't know then, I would have read it in the title of the article itself. On the part where it says "cancelled."

Now that I've explained that... well, nothing I guess. I'm going to go play KI now.

bunny said on May 6, 2014 at 11:45 p.m.

wouldve been day 1 purchase :( max said something about rebalancing for all three games in a video would have loved that hope they do it someday

G0dmqsteR said on May 6, 2014 at 11:49 p.m.

This woulda been badazz

Sonneillon said on May 7, 2014 at 12:57 a.m.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

caruga said on May 7, 2014 at 4:25 a.m.

I'd hit on that make-up artist.

KnucklesIX said on May 7, 2014 at 4:29 a.m.

I don't know if this would be even be any good. The Orignal MK games are very dated especially in gameplay.

MichaelDMcGrath said on May 7, 2014 at 7:10 a.m.

Welcome to EventHubs, where even using the present tense is enough to cause a flame war haha.

MichaelDMcGrath said on May 7, 2014 at 7:14 a.m.

Imagine a completely remastered and rebalanced HD digitized graphics Mortal Kombat 2 though... or if MK9 were made like this, complete with the camera swoop Fatalities and X - rays. My hypothetical money is being thrown at the hypothetical screen right now.

Savage_Alchemist said on May 7, 2014 at 7:17 a.m.

all the characters look great
would've been nice if they had went through with it

xZOMBIEx said on May 7, 2014 at 7:20 a.m.

Oh STFU... You can't even hit on the little girls you have little crushes on at your school... Quit trying to act like you're some big pimp mac daddy on the internet hiding behind your keyboard pretending to be someone you're not...

xZOMBIEx said on May 7, 2014 at 7:28 a.m.

Oh and not to mention how Eventhubs is only like a week LATE like usual in reporting news/info... It's hilarious to think how they wanted people to actually PAY just to disable ad's and trying to force people to turn off their ad blockers just to view their website that's ALWAYS behind in reporting news/info, etc...

Just like how they're all behind on the so called "technology" they use or used to try and block people from viewing their site without their ad blockers disabled... Even that has been bypassed rather easily...

DontTaseMeBro said on May 7, 2014 at 7:48 a.m.

a HD Remake? DAMN that would of been awesome.

spman2099 said on May 7, 2014 at 8:22 a.m.

I am not a huge MK fan these days, but I would have been all over this.

Betoven said on May 7, 2014 at 8:30 a.m.

I am a huge MK fan, and this makes me quite sad :(

OmegaDarkStar said on May 7, 2014 at 8:54 a.m.

After seeing the dude they got to play Sonya, I'm starting to realize why NRS makes female faces the way they do, lol. I kid, I kid....

BulletToothTeddy said on May 7, 2014 at 11:18 a.m.

Kitana looks super un-sexy. Sad.

gammabolt17 said on May 7, 2014 at 11:57 a.m.

This is old. They cancelled it and released the MK Arcade Collection years back.

RedRapperSux said on May 7, 2014 at 12:19 p.m.

Not really seeing Sonya in that blonde chick. Shao Kahn is pretty dope.

Otter_of_Death said on May 7, 2014 at 6:08 p.m.

lol, I don't know why I'm surprised. I guess it's because it wasn't one, but THREE people who weren't able to realize I was speaking hypothetically.

caruga said on May 7, 2014 at 8:24 p.m.

I'm pretending to be someone I am.

bunny said on May 8, 2014 at 1:05 a.m.

i wish the arcade kollection had both mk3 n umk3 ... loved mk3 umk3 not to much