Updated Ultra Street Fighter 4 tier list from TKD places Hugo dead last - three familiar faces take top ranks

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • May 5, 2014 at 7:17 p.m. PDT

Last week TKD posted his initial tier list for the Japanese arcade release of Ultra Street Fighter 4 and has since circled back to offer more thoughts on the game, with the details translated by BeastNote.

A few things have changed, with a handful of fighters rising above the rest to form the new top tier.

It's important to note that there's a brand new build of USF4 out now and this is now an older version of the game, so these opinions and thoughts expressed after the jump may change completely once these players get their hands on the next round of balance updates.

Along with TKD's tier list, you'll also find opinions from Kazunoko, Uryo, Koji KOG and Wao, among others.

TKD's new tier list for Ultra Street Fighter 4

S
Sagat, Fei Long, Cammy

A+
Yun, Juri, Adon, Viper, Guy, Rolento

A
Chun-Li, Rose, Yang, Evil Ryu, Boxer, Ibuki

B+
Ryu, Akuma, Gouken, Hawk, Guile, Sakura

B
Everyone else

Z Warrior (Dragon Ball Z reference)
Hugo

More USF4 impressions from Japanese arcade version

Uryo
"Sakura becomes harder to play. No significant improvement. Footsie is necessary. And you can't drop a combo now."

Kazunoko
"Umehara-san changing his alias...." (his alias became Umehara, (with comma) breaking the tie with 「Kazunoko)
"I think Yun has quite advantage over Sakura."
"Kindevu using Hawk now?"
"Please don't nerf Rolento's rolls! Though it's better if they do (laugh)"
"Yun now requires more of meter management in USF4."
"When a Hugo challenges me, my first thought is choosing by mistake?"

Reiketsu (Claw player)
"Umehara-san's Hugo repeatedly lost to my Izuna loop and still continued with smile. His love of Hugo knows no bounds. I'm terribly sorry for doing this."
"Umehara-san's Ryu still kills me (Claw) with just Hado and MK."

Desora (Gouken player)
"They should charge only 50 yen for playing Hugo." (average Japanese arcades charge 100 yen a credit)

Koji KOG (Hawk player)
"Haitani-san was filming when I won Dogura-san's Rolento by just doing Condor Spire. Then I realized and kneeled down and said to him (Haitani) 'Please don't upload this. If Capcom finds out Hawk'll get nerfed to death!' It was uploaded anyway."

Wao
(Moaning about Delayed Wakeup but we say let's listen to someone else who don't random Ultra and expect opponent not to block)

Translations and details provided once again by BeastNote. Artwork from Arnold Tsang.

Comments

logitech2059 said on May 5, 2014 at 7:19 p.m.

OMG KEN IS TOO STRONK!!! Thank god they nerfed him in the latest build..

goldengol said on May 5, 2014 at 7:20 p.m.

Lol wao

kac1010 said on May 5, 2014 at 7:20 p.m.

lol Desora's comment too good, will be interesting to see how Desora fairs w/ Ultra Gouken.

Sadisticcupid said on May 5, 2014 at 7:23 p.m.

are they going to stick to japanese arcade version or do something else

logitech2059 said on May 5, 2014 at 7:24 p.m.

Lol at Fei being S Tier you just can't kill him!

RedEther said on May 5, 2014 at 7:24 p.m.

Too bad Rolento's nerfed already.

BushidoV1 said on May 5, 2014 at 7:24 p.m.

Daigo loves himself some Hugo. I like that he sticks with the guys he like even if they are terrible.

Eye_of_Orochi said on May 5, 2014 at 7:24 p.m.

Wao: shots fired...? I don't quite get what that is trying to say.

Cammy still S despite heavy nerfing and Delayed Wake Up. Sucks to be one of the haters who thought they got their way and wouldn't have to deal with her anymore.

brandaman69 said on May 5, 2014 at 7:26 p.m.

@1 Ken was not too strong and did not deserve to be nerfed. All shoto players agreed that he was not the best shoto yet he was the only one to get nerfs in the new build.

MRN_SirFoxington said on May 5, 2014 at 7:27 p.m.

Balrog considered " A" huh.... i need to see more raw hardcore footage of him please...

And dudley considered "B" means under balrog..still? Hmm interesting. I would like to demand hard,raw footage of dudley aswell.

IMainDanHibiki said on May 5, 2014 at 7:28 p.m.

Damn. Shots fired at Wao? o:

logitech2059 said on May 5, 2014 at 7:28 p.m.

I know i was being sarcastic everybody over exaggerated Kens buff and underestimated how much system changes hurt him.

worldfinest22 said on May 5, 2014 at 7:30 p.m.

So Hugo is bad, not suppriesd. It's just the way Capcom makes grapplers in sf4. They make them bad so casual players won't complain which happens anyway. #Kappa

madsoul242 said on May 5, 2014 at 7:31 p.m.

Juri A+ my chick bad, glad I stuck with her from the beginning. Even tho she was always awesome to me no matter what ver.

Wedge said on May 5, 2014 at 7:32 p.m.

Pretty sure anything anyone says right now means nothing until they release this for real on consoles and it's being played at EVO. Since the arcade release is clearly an extended loctest.

MRN_SirFoxington said on May 5, 2014 at 7:32 p.m.

Pardon me,

But it seems they seriously need to improve Hugo.

I feel kind of bad tbh.

vega4liv said on May 5, 2014 at 7:33 p.m.

This list doesn't matter game is going to change at least 100 more times before console release lol

sarif2soon said on May 5, 2014 at 7:35 p.m.

Will ya look at that! Seth in B tier!
Sure didn't see that comin'.

spotlesseden said on May 5, 2014 at 7:37 p.m.

those hugo comments are too funny.

AugustAPC said on May 5, 2014 at 7:37 p.m.

So this is a tier list based on the outdated Japanese arcade version? Heh.

xBMxSage said on May 5, 2014 at 7:38 p.m.

I think this is the first list that Makoto isn't within the top 10. :(

logitech2059 said on May 5, 2014 at 7:39 p.m.

Its obvious Seth got nerfed too hard. If Capcom doesn't want Seths tools to be too strong they should atleast give him a HP buff.

EXCh33ky said on May 5, 2014 at 7:42 p.m.

Boxer that high?! Hell outta here

Wardog said on May 5, 2014 at 7:43 p.m.

Its way to early to make a ultra tier list.

It should be call "my opinion so far list" cause the game will keep on changing till the console release, then after evo... that's when people should start to make a ultra tier list. After a few big tournaments went by.

If people start to take this list or any other players tier list... then people will quickly have that mentally and judge that character so early, till somebody come out of the woodwork and shake the scene up with those characters. Give it time and don't take these list too serous.

RandomSelectMaster said on May 5, 2014 at 7:47 p.m.

Too early to make a tier list. I don't think the changes have been exploited enough to comment. I am surprised Makoto is not up there. Glad Sagat is up there though, and I do not even play him. I just like seeing a powerful character getting his well deserved recognition... although Gouken would be a nice addition to this list.

FatMus2 said on May 5, 2014 at 7:48 p.m.

Saying Hugo is that bad just seems like a ridiculous over-statement. He's not the best but he looks pretty strong from what I've seen so far.
Still going to use him regardless.

jimbo1123 said on May 5, 2014 at 7:48 p.m.

So doubting Rose and Chun are anywhere near top tier. OS setups will develop for DWU and characters with easily baited/punished reversals will be exposed

logitech2059 said on May 5, 2014 at 7:51 p.m.

You shouldn't be surprised about boxer. USf4 is turning into more of a footsie game and that's one of boxers biggest strength and DWU is a big buff for him.

KingKong said on May 5, 2014 at 7:51 p.m.

This right there is called metagaming. They convince people that X character or Y tech is bad, then come Evo Championships these guys are going to take everyone by surprise.

spotlesseden said on May 5, 2014 at 7:54 p.m.

what's the different? every tier list is just opinion it doesn't matter when you make them.

Even the AE 2012 list is different depends on who you ask. Most Americans think cammy is the best she is broken. Other players like pr rog, tokido think Fie Long is the best.

Then you have Sako who think Evil Ryu beats cammy.

MANDINGO said on May 5, 2014 at 7:55 p.m.

YorKeY said on May 5, 2014 at 8 p.m.

Not surprised about Balrog AT ALL, that's a super disrespectful character, no disrespect to the players that play him though, most people can agree though. Balrogs players always hitting that crouching jab, and crouch teching for their lives.

@ Fei Long players, you happy now? Once again just like ALMOST every other character in the past who has gotten nerfed "into oblivion" has made it out of the void.

I hope Yun's not top 5 , don't want tierwhores/old AE betrayers picking him up. Not worried about C. Viper cause i know most people don't have the motivation to get good with her. ^_^

Clamper said on May 5, 2014 at 8:03 p.m.

The japanese are paying to be beta testers lol.

xYomiLord420x said on May 5, 2014 at 8:06 p.m.

How many builds of ultra is there now? We have arcade, console, but apparently the stunfest and nwm builds were also different from each other. Looking forward to the final console build.

mrambitious said on May 5, 2014 at 8:08 p.m.

and yet people complain about NRS and other fighters for their updates...........

HyperCombinationFinish said on May 5, 2014 at 8:08 p.m.

Juri A + Kreygasm

MRN_SirFoxington said on May 5, 2014 at 8:10 p.m.

Excuse me sir,

But DWU is defenitly not a buff for balrog nor its a advantage for him...

Dirty Bull does 120 damage ! Thats the damage you get when you hit your opponent with balrogs standing Fierce !

samuraix025 said on May 5, 2014 at 8:17 p.m.

Guy will hopefully be a high b. I hope they at least make ex bsk 3 frames it needs something with how easily it can be jumped over or through

Remondo02 said on May 5, 2014 at 8:17 p.m.

Eye_of_Orochi said on May 5, 2014 at 8:17 p.m.

"Glad Sagat is up there though...I just like seeing a powerful character getting his well deserved recognition"

What has Sagat "done" to deserve this recognition? Every character should have an equal chance of being good or bad depending on how Capcom decides to balance them, none of them deserve it more than another. Nothing against Sagat being on top again but the existence of this logic is strange to say the least.

It's weird though...just because he's Sagat, "The King", this tall, imposing, powerful looking dude, it seems fitting that he would be on top. If that's what you meant, I guess I get what you mean.

genocide_cutter said on May 5, 2014 at 8:21 p.m.

Fei Long must be immune to nerfs

MRN_SirFoxington said on May 5, 2014 at 8:23 p.m.

Hey remondo :),

Oh i see....emm well then excuse me for my rant there lol i missed something i guess ;)

But still i mean DWU,in my opinion, wont just be so good for him because of the damage reduction.

I think balrog depends on raw Ultra damage so i think Violent Buffalo still would bethe top choice for punishing a fireball,etc.

Aluppoj said on May 5, 2014 at 8:31 p.m.

Chun Li and Rose > Ryu and Akuma? C'mon now.

And what changes specifically created this colossal shift in power?

I'm sorry, these guys are great players and all, but their opinions are a Dime a Dozen. Every other day we get a New *Opinion List*.

What makes these ones worse is that this version is like 13 days old.

leapoffaithfighter said on May 5, 2014 at 8:38 p.m.

happy that guy is A+ but is it alpha guy or ......

rakuko said on May 5, 2014 at 8:41 p.m.

hasn't it been the case that location tests were 100 yen to play as well? it's not like Japan is paying more for what isn't a final product.

ShinAkiraDesu said on May 5, 2014 at 8:43 p.m.

LOL at what Koji said about being recorded

Strider_Hien said on May 5, 2014 at 8:44 p.m.

Guy A+?!?!?!?!?! Yummy?

Nah.....Still too early.Hopeful,though....:D

dookey_dude said on May 5, 2014 at 8:45 p.m.

I Don't Like Whats been said about Wao one bit. So Not pro.

Aluppoj said on May 5, 2014 at 8:45 p.m.

One more point I'd like to raise about this clearly well thought out tier list.

Only half of the cast received a grade that required thought of placement.

Half of the games roster was stuffed into B tier lol.

And a Z Warrior? Well, since I love Dragonball I won't make fun of him for that ; ). But again, seems like careless placement.

Maybe he was just being silly with this entire list?

Aluppoj said on May 5, 2014 at 8:49 p.m.

Sagat = the original Boss!

Crazcar said on May 5, 2014 at 8:49 p.m.

Hugo at Z (Warrior) tier? Bring it.

synce said on May 5, 2014 at 8:51 p.m.

Oh, Viper AND Juri near the top? I likey.

VulcanHades said on May 5, 2014 at 8:51 p.m.

Unfortunately, Juri is only considered A+ in the arcade release. Meaning, before some of her buffs got reverted like the cr.lk,cr.mk link and j.hp not causing knockdown. Those changes were a big reason why she was considered top 10. But in recent builds she will probably drop to A or B+ tier.

Mrb20028 said on May 5, 2014 at 8:53 p.m.

Idk about that Z warrior for Hugo. He is amazing for a grappler, but he just has a lot of awful MUs.

put_Garuda_in_SFIV said on May 5, 2014 at 8:54 p.m.

Godlike banner

VulcanHades said on May 5, 2014 at 8:58 p.m.

Delayed Wakeup and Red Focus both help Chun, Rose and Ryu but hurt Akuma the most. It could be argued that Rose and Chun Li have stronger footsies than Ryu and Akuma and can probably fish for better stuff via RFC. Not to mention Ultra Combo Double which helps Chun and Rose more than Ryu/Akuma.

sarif2soon said on May 5, 2014 at 9 p.m.

Shouldn't a tier list not matter to you, because, you know, you believe performance depends solely on the player?

Gotomaster said on May 5, 2014 at 9 p.m.

Dude, Chunli was looking mighty strong in some of the matches I saw Mago using her. As for power shift, so much can change with just the slightest change. Ultra is a totally different game, what with DW, Red Focus, and dp fadc nerf which hurts all shotos, and the plethora of changes. Sagat went from arguably the best character at one point to one of the most mediocre in Super. And like you said, these are early thoughts. Calm your panties and see how this plays out.

SnakeX said on May 5, 2014 at 9:04 p.m.

They're trying to say they're tired of hearing Wao cry about delayed wake up when he's trying dumb stuff rather than adapting to the system like everyone else has. Just poking fun at him at this point.

There was a previous news post here that detailed Wao's grievances, and they amounted to him being upset that his auto-pilot setups and unblockables from AE2012 are gone thanks to DWU...which, y'know, was the entire point of DWU to begin with.

DontTaseMeBro said on May 5, 2014 at 9:06 p.m.

Shouldn't Seth be bottom tier too?

Kenmasters101 said on May 5, 2014 at 9:08 p.m.

Wayyyyyy to early for this but whatevs

SnakeX said on May 5, 2014 at 9:08 p.m.

Hugo is definitely being slept on. From the footage we've seen, too many people are trying to play him like a traditional grappler, fishing for 360's, and not using his best tools. He's gonna have some lopsided match-ups, but he's not "Z" tier.

holybird90 said on May 5, 2014 at 9:12 p.m.

I don't think Adon is A+.

Also, why is Cammy S? her vortex can be escaped now and her damage/stun got toned down.

yoonakame said on May 5, 2014 at 9:17 p.m.

I agree with this list. At the arcades I've seen mostly the majority of these characters being used with the exception of Cammy. Completely agree with Uryo with changes to Sakura. Her jump tatsu no longer being as effective and useful. Her ex tatsu change to +2 definitely hurts her, and her jump fierce has been nerfed considerably and is more punishable.

diddykv said on May 5, 2014 at 9:20 p.m.

Tier lists are based on results. Whether you like it or not, it's possible to have a tier list this soon, though it's obvious that it may change over time, and most likely will.

The point is that right now those characters listed S must be dominating the arcades, while poor Hugo is probably getting his ass kicked by everybody, everywhere.

yoonakame said on May 5, 2014 at 9:24 p.m.

I've seen some Seths wreck people at the arcades, definitely not lower tier.

Ascender said on May 5, 2014 at 9:25 p.m.

Why is ERyu Better then Ryu? That doesnt Make much sense to me.

Aluppoj said on May 5, 2014 at 9:27 p.m.

It doesn't matter to me personally. Commenting on the mans thought ms is all.

And Sarif, I didn't say that I don't believe in tier lists, or varying character matchups. I said a skilled player trumps the tier list.

IMHO a tier sheet (a decent, well thought out one) is simply one factor that plays into a match. But I believe it is outweighed by a capable players skill.

Sorry if there was some confusion.

Gotomaster said on May 5, 2014 at 9:32 p.m.

Unless you actually got to play the arcade version, you are in no position of claiming this make sense or not. Remember people, this is Ultra, not AE2012.

Aluppoj said on May 5, 2014 at 9:35 p.m.

Goto, my panties are all good ; )

But you shouldn't get twisted. Chun Li looking GDLK in the hands of Mago shouldn't surprise anyone. He's an amazing player.

Chun also looks very strong in V.2012 when Infiltration uses her.

Damn, sometimes I feel like I make Chun look Top Tier.

Ixion makes Dan look Top Tier. V.Ryu with Makoto. Daigo with Ryu.

But these are all regarded as B tier right down to bottom five with Dan and Chun right? (In AE2012)

We're going to need more data before I accept Rose and Chun (a couple of nobodies in SF4) suddenly eclipsing my the likes of Akuma.

ANGRY_SCAR said on May 5, 2014 at 9:37 p.m.

The King belongs on top of the tier list.

USF4 <3

Shumanigans said on May 5, 2014 at 9:41 p.m.

But I thought j.hp not causing knockdown has been removed a long time ago.

HyperViperNZ said on May 5, 2014 at 9:47 p.m.

Good girl Viper. You stay where you are. You'll always be my #1
Good to see my secondary Juri is way up there too.

OhYouDontSayThat said on May 5, 2014 at 9:59 p.m.

I think the most surprising thing about this post is Sagat's beefy shoulder muscle trying to merge into his forearm ... cause' it certainly isn't the S tier list!!!

SpiderUppercut said on May 5, 2014 at 10:04 p.m.

I guess what they can do now (if the -5 DP FADC change stays) is impove Ryu's DP as an anti air so that it doesnt trade as much (if at all) on scrubs jumping in and expand its utility to punish crossups. WOuld be godlike nailing clean a scrubby Cammy spamming (EX) dive kicks all day without worrying about trades.

Also still favor removing shortcut motions as well as tightening the reversal window.

They should also make Ryus U1 hit all hits, like they did with Sagats U2! That would be an excellent fine tune and move Ryu closer to Sagat on the tier list - which is his rightful place.

SpiderUppercut said on May 5, 2014 at 10:07 p.m.

She still has retarded hitboxes on her (EX) dive kicks which beat all anti airs.

Hopefully they either strengten Ryus AA DP hitboxes (or adjust hurtboxes at the top) and/or give Cammy's dive kick the Sakuras jump-in fierce 'adjustment'. :)

I have no issues with the King back on top in his rightful place.
Jump in on the King like a button mashing scrub, and get BODIED.

metaf4 said on May 5, 2014 at 10:14 p.m.

So let me get this straight.....Cammy got nerfed?

brandaman69 said on May 5, 2014 at 10:14 p.m.

give shotos non trading DP's that always knock down on hit.

Burn said on May 5, 2014 at 10:15 p.m.

Too many times have I seen "Everyone else" in reference to where Dee Jay is on the tier list. Just for once, just one game, I'd like to see a high tier Dee Jay.

Castigation said on May 5, 2014 at 10:16 p.m.

Except she's nerfed already, so enjoy dreaming about it come console.
Capcom should ad Ultra Arcade Edition v1 to the edition select options..

AmIAWizard said on May 5, 2014 at 10:27 p.m.

aoi said on May 5, 2014 at 10:28 p.m.

yes. From B tier (alas Broken) to S tier. Based Capcom

McAl said on May 5, 2014 at 10:47 p.m.

It's hard to balance grapplers in a game like Street fighter that is so limited i.e movement, Street Fighter needs a more useful movement based subsystem that all characters can use easily.

logitech2059 said on May 5, 2014 at 10:57 p.m.

LOL too funny!!!

unseenpotential01 said on May 5, 2014 at 11:02 p.m.

As far as being "harder" to play, DWU will be pretty hard on her. More chances for opponents to escape her pressure. Nerfed escape tatsu is fair, but will hurt her ability to stop jump aways, which is something everyone loves to do.

and hopefully, the "you cant drop a combo now" doesn't mean her links were messed up or something.

if any of her combos are messed up, i will be pissed bro... ._.

Topaz said on May 5, 2014 at 11:03 p.m.

Oh look, exactly the same top-tiers as in AE. Remind me, what was the point of this balance again?

Count said on May 5, 2014 at 11:05 p.m.

i'm with you buddy :(

KamfPudding said on May 5, 2014 at 11:06 p.m.

I don't believe that Capcom can fix your lack of skill.
You better learn how to use a DP first..

Kongk4 said on May 5, 2014 at 11:07 p.m.

I'm pretty sure j.HP causing knockdown was removed after like... the 2nd build. Hard to say if that's really a nerf, since most people I've seen in the comments didn't mind it.

I myself would've liked it if only caused a knockdown against the opponent in the air, but I don't really care if that becomes a thing or not. I just want my airborne F.MK overhead back. :(

feralwolf72 said on May 5, 2014 at 11:33 p.m.

any Blanka news in Ultra at all? I have only seen the Nishkin vs Daigo video. Is there any other info on him?

Santaclaus said on May 5, 2014 at 11:38 p.m.

omg Ken is gonna be overpowered in the next build of SF4! mark my words!! this time really REALLY mean it! wtf are you doing crapcom!? you buff that scrub shoto! so easy to use! every scrub and their mother is gonna play him now boohooo :'(
kappa.

meanwhile in every itteration of sf4: Ken mid tier and a struggle to use effectively

ChickenWingRecipe said on May 5, 2014 at 11:45 p.m.

Isn't Hugo's main game based around fishing for 360's just like every other grappler?

I mean, every grapplers meta-game is not to abuse 360's but make u scared of the 360's so they can make u take damage for fearing them.

If u can't make people scared of u, u cannot use every other tool that a grappler has. And thats what's being slept on when people start to use grapplers, all the focus on is landing 360's and baiting out reversals.

Sasuga said on May 6, 2014 at 12:05 a.m.

Of all the buffs/nerfs... you want the airborne overhead back?

Rachel_Alucard said on May 6, 2014 at 12:44 a.m.

Shinebox said on May 6, 2014 at 12:48 a.m.

He was good in Arcade Edition but half the cast was terrible in that version lol

bushin_dunks said on May 6, 2014 at 1 a.m.

My main is A+ now?! I seriously need to get my hands on guy!! I never thought the changes would be enough to get him out of that mid/low tier but I never expected him to become potentially top! This is every interesting and exciting!

THTB said on May 6, 2014 at 1:02 a.m.

The Wao part was golden. That man is such a sad panda about Ultra.

Sage_Liebert said on May 6, 2014 at 1:04 a.m.

I don't see what a character without a projectile or with a bad projectile can really do against Hugo.

CaptainPlanet said on May 6, 2014 at 1:26 a.m.

Most of us (arcade, console or pc users) contribute to the game's changes.

colossus said on May 6, 2014 at 1:58 a.m.

I like a lot the fact that they think that Hugo is an absolute Z tier. Two reasons: Capcom themselves can see this and buff Hugo additionally; a lot of scrubs will decided that he is really bad and will not going to use him. This way it will be just me using Hugo and a couple of other dedicated guys. I don't know about you but all this works for me.

Load more comments