Fulgore reveal trailer for Killer Instinct, character released on April 9th - Iron Galaxy taking over development for season 2

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • March 27, 2014 at 9:14 a.m. PDT

A new trailer showcasing Fulgore in Killer Instinct was just released, and it was revealed he'll be available to players starting on April 9, 2014.

The title update that brings Fulgore into the mix will also add Arcade Mode and online lobbies featuring eight-player rooms and spectating functionality.

Plus, Iron Galaxy Studios, the developers of Dive Kick and Street Fighter 3 Third Strike Online Edition, will be taking over for Double Helix Games as the main team behind Killer Instinct for season 2.

You can find Fulgore's reveal trailer after the break, along with a detailed interview with Iron Galaxy Studios about their team taking over development.

Polygon also interviewed Iron Galaxy Studios' CEO, Dave Lang, about the transition process, and why they wanted to work on the Killer Instinct franchise. It's an interesting read if you want to see many of the behind the scenes details about how this deal went down.

Video courtesy of Maximilian. Tip from ShiroiKaze, FoxEye and GodotLaserFace.

Comments

BlackMasamune said on March 27, 2014 at 9:17 a.m.

Iron Galaxy, this could be interesting.

paralyzing said on March 27, 2014 at 9:18 a.m.

Nice, Iron Galaxy!

yes4me said on March 27, 2014 at 9:20 a.m.

Intesting but most important why?

ShiroiKaze said on March 27, 2014 at 9:20 a.m.

Season 2... now with 100% more divekicks

Taizuku said on March 27, 2014 at 9:24 a.m.

Can't wait to see Jebailey and Zubaz duke it out in Killer Instinct!

KingSpica said on March 27, 2014 at 9:27 a.m.

my mind was like something is not right check eventhubs i saw fugore i was like oh ****

SoftShocks said on March 27, 2014 at 9:27 a.m.

The Robot <3

FinchoMatic said on March 27, 2014 at 9:28 a.m.

My body, is hyped

Paradonyx said on March 27, 2014 at 9:28 a.m.

Online Lobbies?! FINALLY!

omglonghair said on March 27, 2014 at 9:28 a.m.

Here comes the dick kick haters!

Megadautilus said on March 27, 2014 at 9:28 a.m.

The game is saved!

YMB9Shinzou said on March 27, 2014 at 9:31 a.m.

Daddy's Home....

king_e_dawg said on March 27, 2014 at 9:31 a.m.

Yay Iron Galaxy! Yay Fulgore! Besides the unibeam, he looks like he plays quite a bit like classic Fulgore...

NovaPanda said on March 27, 2014 at 9:32 a.m.

This made my day

mnz said on March 27, 2014 at 9:33 a.m.

Double Helix got bought by Amazon, they have other things to do now.

AngrySteve said on March 27, 2014 at 9:34 a.m.

Welp, this trailer is definitely more hype than the trailer for the ninja turtles movie....

BlackOnyxThunder said on March 27, 2014 at 9:35 a.m.

Fulgore fights too dirty! Kids under the age of +18 can't play him. Iron Galaxy though... sweet!

Gotomaster said on March 27, 2014 at 9:35 a.m.

Iron Galaxy and Fulgore, best early birthday present, ever.

t0fu said on March 27, 2014 at 9:38 a.m.

just the music/sound effects from the trailer was enough for me. now i just need to get around the fact that i still don't want an xbone

Kawalorn said on March 27, 2014 at 9:39 a.m.

Iron Galaxy? Well they sure know how to make fighting game netcode, but will they be able to balance and add new content to a fighting game?

DexterWylde said on March 27, 2014 at 9:40 a.m.

Yo iron galaxy is taking over! Hope is restored!

dsouvannarath said on March 27, 2014 at 9:45 a.m.

There better be a stage called "The Lang Zone"

Strider_Hien said on March 27, 2014 at 9:48 a.m.

Iron Galaxy,huh? I think your game is on good hands,guys...:D April 9th:An infamous date for me-The release of Fulgore and.....the death of my beloved Windows XP(Sys.Admin here....V_V)

TheTHCGamer said on March 27, 2014 at 9:48 a.m.

You don't think most if not all of us wish KI was multiplatform? I'd rather have bought the game on PS4 but it is what it is if rather have KI be exclusive then have no KI at all. The real question is how long do we have to wait for more characters after Fulgore because we all know character roster is what makes a fighting game. At least 16 characters total would satisfy me but the good thing is next update brings a lot to the table so it'll make waiting a bit easier.

Story mode will be cool but lobbies is going to be great because that's what's going to keep the online community playing longer. I thought the matchmaking system to play against friends at this point was horrible but lobbies will help with that. Also well get to play against people we actually want to chat with. I'm happy to know that it's confirmed that KI will still be getting content after DH move on with amazon.

Sickn3s said on March 27, 2014 at 9:50 a.m.

Looks good can't wait to try him out

TheTHCGamer said on March 27, 2014 at 9:53 a.m.

I agree everyone seems super happy but this is going to be one of iron galaxy's most challenging projects. I wish them the best though because I want KI to succeed and I hope they have players from the FGC testing the game. Iron galaxy doesn't need to work on the netcode either because this is one of the best netcodes for a fighting game period. So there mainly going to be working on the gameplay and character balance we'll see how they do.

Lordd_G said on March 27, 2014 at 9:53 a.m.

Fulgore approves!

cris25 said on March 27, 2014 at 9:57 a.m.

The stage was definitely inspired by Terminator 2's final sequence.

KingKong said on March 27, 2014 at 10 a.m.

AWESOME

ReddChief said on March 27, 2014 at 10 a.m.

Iron Galaxy oh snap, season 2 could possibly make this into a good game and hopefully no more recycled animation on the move sets like DH does and make this into a legit KI game with the features that made KI Killer Instinct.

BumblebeeCody said on March 27, 2014 at 10:02 a.m.

That theme song!

DrDevice said on March 27, 2014 at 10:05 a.m.

with Jebaileys connections I see nothing to worry about.

Paradonyx said on March 27, 2014 at 10:07 a.m.

Killer Instinct for XB1 is already a good game, so be quiet.

t0fu said on March 27, 2014 at 10:09 a.m.

will the music from these trailers/the game be available anytime soon? i thought there was suppose to be another killer cuts coming out?

Green016 said on March 27, 2014 at 10:09 a.m.

I don't know, maybe having all the characters available at the get go would've been a much better idea than this season by season nonsense.

MrNova749 said on March 27, 2014 at 10:10 a.m.

Thank you! People will find ANYTHING to be negative.

caloge said on March 27, 2014 at 10:12 a.m.

Iron Galaxy eh? We will see I guess. The game already has decent netcode so I hope they have something else up their sleeve.

Burnt said on March 27, 2014 at 10:14 a.m.

Double bass!

JohnnyOcelot said on March 27, 2014 at 10:20 a.m.

why does fulgore have that stupid ponytail

TheTHCGamer said on March 27, 2014 at 10:22 a.m.

RedTroll where you been and always taking down about games you haven't even played glad to see nothings changed.

EX35 said on March 27, 2014 at 10:31 a.m.

Guys...I'm crying. TEARS OF JOY MAN! ;o; I said to myself "If there's going to be a new developer for KI, it better be either Lab Zero, Iron Galaxy, or NRS". I'm glad one of my predictions came true! Congrats to Lang, Keits, JeBailey, and the rest of the Iron Galaxy crew to take the reins for Season 2. Bring on the rest of the cast! :D

As for Fulgore, well....I can't post the pic here, but remember that episode of South Park about the internet going out in the country? And Randy finally got a hold of a computer with internet near the end of the episode? The aftermath? Yea...My reaction. LET'S GO!

Hotdiddykong said on March 27, 2014 at 10:34 a.m.

I don't know how to feel about this.

You guys think the team is good? Sure they made Divekick but Double Helix did a REALLY good job on KI especially polish, gameplay Mechanics and others, I just hope they keep it that way.

And its.not making me feel better that the other game the same team is handling, the Vita Port of Borderlands 2 isn't going well.

Lordd_G said on March 27, 2014 at 10:37 a.m.

And remember when we all really doubted if Double Helix could do a good job with KI??

Pepperidge Farms remembers...

xShonuffx said on March 27, 2014 at 10:39 a.m.

Really? Because the fact that we now have a full fledged Killer Instinct with arcade and lobbies, plus a confirmed season 2 from an experienced fighting game developer, I feel I have more than enough reason to own an Xbox One.

Sorry your missing out.

Abbadon36 said on March 27, 2014 at 10:46 a.m.

Cool stuff, dont have XBOne but that is pretty cool. I can only hope that at some time it comes out for a Sony system.

RomeMc said on March 27, 2014 at 10:47 a.m.

I was hoping for a season 2 tease at the end....oh well! Now that Iron Galaxy takes over I hope they're smart and release season 2 content before the end of the year. Ultra Street Fighter 4 is already gonna occupy most of the FGC's time this fall. Keeping KI fresh should be too priority

BoozerX said on March 27, 2014 at 10:52 a.m.

nusense said on March 27, 2014 at 10:56 a.m.

Here comes the nut riders.... Best wishes to IG and DH.

foolly said on March 27, 2014 at 10:58 a.m.

What does season 2 mean?

WuBloodKin said on March 27, 2014 at 11:02 a.m.

Not until T.J. Combo.

J said on March 27, 2014 at 11:02 a.m.

"Top story + [filtered tag]" should not show up on my feed. Can this be finally fixed, please?

Blackoshinomi said on March 27, 2014 at 11:02 a.m.

Wanna see TJ next never buying A XBOX But i will see how people play with Fulgore

FinchoMatic said on March 27, 2014 at 11:03 a.m.

It won't. KI is exclusive to Microsoft

MrNova749 said on March 27, 2014 at 11:05 a.m.

it will NEVER....I repeat....NEVER....come to Sony.

ZaaawMBeh said on March 27, 2014 at 11:14 a.m.

Scrolling past an article you don't want to read must be real hard for you.

ihatewhiners said on March 27, 2014 at 11:16 a.m.

awesome news update man! fulgore looks sick, and the lobbies too yeah i cant wait 9th bring it!!!!

@reddchief always negative and antihype, u say DH used recycles on animations well what did IG do with 3s thats so awesome apart from netcode your such a dumb troll u troll yourself...

plus KI original is not even close to being as playable as KI NEW. trust me i have ps4 and xbone and i aint a fanboy but KI is good now and will only get better.

sarif2soon said on March 27, 2014 at 11:17 a.m.

Gonna watch Max play him.

USAgent said on March 27, 2014 at 11:17 a.m.

Don't know why they decided to feed him Orchid of all people.

Rahavic said on March 27, 2014 at 11:22 a.m.

And another KI story slips through my filter.

darkblade13 said on March 27, 2014 at 11:28 a.m.

Because he was created by UltraTech and Orchid goal is destroy UltraTech.

madsoul242 said on March 27, 2014 at 11:29 a.m.

Dam! Right on my b-day. Love KI to bad the feeling isn't mutual, as with X1. Happy for those that do own the game tho.

JMJ_X said on March 27, 2014 at 11:29 a.m.

Thought it was a great trailer but personally I feel the Spinal Trailer was more polish then this one. This stuff take time I understand that.

EX35 said on March 27, 2014 at 11:31 a.m.

Season 2 = More characters and possibly more features.

Angerfist62 said on March 27, 2014 at 11:39 a.m.

He sounds like a zealot from Resident evil 4 at 1:10 ("Quiero Matar").

He looks awesome, his theme is too. Great Job Double Helix, we will miss you.

Inzzane said on March 27, 2014 at 11:43 a.m.

Finally Fulgore!! Cant wait to test him.

ZaaawMBeh said on March 27, 2014 at 11:55 a.m.

Anyone know if Fulgore will be available early for people that purchased the Ultra edition or is he available for everyone come April 9th?

cuzzo said on March 27, 2014 at 11:59 a.m.

Is Orchid still one step closer to flushing out UT? Not bad a trailer tho

bagel_bytez said on March 27, 2014 at 12:02 p.m.

...

Sasuga said on March 27, 2014 at 12:02 p.m.

He is in touch with his feminine side.

UncannyChito said on March 27, 2014 at 12:09 p.m.

The only way this could be better is if Fulgore did his machine gun head finisher, but oh well.

Mac_Gargan said on March 27, 2014 at 12:15 p.m.

Is that Cinder in the center glass cell?

Seems weird.

MuayThaiBushinryu said on March 27, 2014 at 12:16 p.m.

You're a special kind of stupid aren't you?

MuayThaiBushinryu said on March 27, 2014 at 12:18 p.m.

Not even. If he has to, Maximillian will keep it alive by sheer force of will.

Him said on March 27, 2014 at 12:20 p.m.

I don't have the game, but I do have years of nostalgia and that art book. They did him justice(I wish he had his old hit sounds though lol)

freeHUGS said on March 27, 2014 at 12:20 p.m.

Because he's always had it and it's part of his character design?

Shinkutatsumaki said on March 27, 2014 at 12:27 p.m.

This level design reminds me of one of the injustice levels.

TrueGamingGuru said on March 27, 2014 at 12:42 p.m.

That was a really awesome trailer can't wait for Fulgore & Arcade Mode. Iron Galaxy was a pretty good choice since they've worked with a couple of fighter games, can't wait to see Season 2 getting announced whether its before, during, or after E314.

@yes4me

The reason why has something to do with Double Helix moving over to work with Amazon Games, and Season 2 was going to need a developer if Double Helix isn't going to continue. Which is why Killer Instinct has a new developer to continue Season 2.

@cris25

Fulgore as a whole takes its inspiration from Predator, Robo Cop, & Terminator so its nothing to expect much.

@JohnnyOcelot

Did you ever see what Fulgore looks like from KI1-KI2? He always had that ponytail ever since KI1, so were expecting something else?

@UncannyChito

Lets wait until Season 2 starts coming around, were likely to see No Mercies/Danger Moves making a return. Besides Double Helix didn't have the proper time to give all the characters from Season 1 to have finishing moves anyway.

MuMuGuy said on March 27, 2014 at 12:42 p.m.

I'm not holding my breath with regards to the Season 2 content being balanced. Look at the crap fest that Divekick is. That game is incredibly unbalanced and broken.

TrueGamingGuru said on March 27, 2014 at 12:50 p.m.

Season 2 meaning they'll have more characters/stages and more content unlike Season 1. The reasons Killer Instinct is doing Seasons is because the game had a very short development time, and Microsoft wanted this game to be one of the launch title for the next generation console Xbox One. Since Double Helix didn't have time to include everything, (since KI's development began in Sept. 2012, then gets released at Nov. 2013 the same day as when the Xbox One gets released) this where Season downloads play a big role to offer content per Season. Which makes Killer Instinct (2013) a digital download with different methods from a free demo access with 1 character (per 3 months), a pack that gives you the 6 characters at launch plus 2, and another pack that gives you the same content but with accessory kit, extra costumes, and even a classic arcade port of KI1.

HooliganComboFTW said on March 27, 2014 at 12:51 p.m.

Iron galaxy has big shoes to fill hope they do a good job.

Fulgore and his stage looks hype. Finally more content like arcade and lobbies/spectator :D

SyckEndings said on March 27, 2014 at 12:54 p.m.

Finally seeing my all time favorite KI character come back makes me want to turn on my Xbox One again, still have a very strong dislike for the game. Not the franchise itself but the way things are being handled, hopefully season 2 can bring us as supporters of this game more than we could've hoped to bargain for. April 9th hurry TFU!

spman2099 said on March 27, 2014 at 1 p.m.

He looks great. Everything is looking up for this game. Still, I hope there is some progress already made of the new characters... Fulgore will help, but this game is already somewhat bland to watch do to the character variety. Still, I imagine it is going to be a great game (greater game?) in a year.

Sadisticcupid said on March 27, 2014 at 1:14 p.m.

If this really will be the mentality i hope some ps4 games never go to xbox1

Iphantom said on March 27, 2014 at 1:19 p.m.

They definitely know how to make exciting trailers. They really missed out not bringing back his awesome KI1 music though.

MALDA_IS_BACK said on March 27, 2014 at 1:47 p.m.

Xbox one rocks

GodPride said on March 27, 2014 at 2:02 p.m.

Iron Galaxy is a welcoming choice.

ihatewhiners said on March 27, 2014 at 2:06 p.m.

wonder if the unibeam is instinct or shadow move x2 bars as it looks chargeable wich would mean his instinct is a risk to him and the opponent? anybody else think it should be 2x meter as other chars have positive instinct with no downside?

ThaOneKing said on March 27, 2014 at 2:21 p.m.

Yo,what happened to Shadow Jago? Is he not coming out for people that didn't pre order the Day One Xbox live card?

ShiroiKaze said on March 27, 2014 at 2:22 p.m.

Also Halo: Spartan Ops is coming to Steam... just one step closer to a PC port of KI

JdotSweapA said on March 27, 2014 at 2:29 p.m.

Fulgore is the only guy I know who can rock a ponytail so hard

TrueGamingGuru said on March 27, 2014 at 2:36 p.m.

Actually Fulgore's KI1 music is already in Killer Instinct (2013) along with other classic KI music. (mostly KI1) The downside is that you can only play classic music in Training mode which adds a lit-up background reflecting the stages from the past, and you don't get to change stage's music. (unlike certain fighter games)

FinchoMatic said on March 27, 2014 at 2:40 p.m.

At a later time, MS wants him to be available to everyone so he's viable for tournaments. He wouldn't be viable if he had his own moveset and was an exclusive download to those who purchased the Day One card. That said, an update to his moveset is coming so with that we should be expecting sometime after to include a purchase option for you to download him

EX35 said on March 27, 2014 at 3:33 p.m.

What TrueGamingGuru said, BUT for every new theme given to the characters (minus Jago & Sadira), there is a hidden easter egg in each song that plays their original themes, but slightly remixed.

Here they are:

The original 6: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB_tY...
Spinal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STlh_...

FuriouS said on March 27, 2014 at 3:43 p.m.

This game is sooo bad, sorry but I have to be real

Focusflute said on March 27, 2014 at 4:06 p.m.

BEST fighter ever just got BETTER!!!!!! HYPE!!!!!!!!!!!!

ZaaawMBeh said on March 27, 2014 at 4:09 p.m.

I don't think you've played/can afford this game to be calling it "sooo bad". watching videos/streams is a different experience than actually playing the game.

JRXP2011 said on March 27, 2014 at 4:33 p.m.

Good sh!t, I'm waiting on season 2 already.

tidestick said on March 27, 2014 at 4:50 p.m.

that trailer sucked

ToastyDMY said on March 27, 2014 at 5:33 p.m.

Trailer looks good...

But it's not enough to make me buy a clunky new console with no backwards compatibility and spend money on an incomplete product with prices and deals that make me feel sorry for the people they're robbing blindly

HyperViperNZ said on March 27, 2014 at 5:43 p.m.

Sweet! Can't wait. Not a fan of Fulgore but the more the merrier. KI on XB1 is a great game. Hope Maya makes it into season 2.

Load more comments