Sanford Kelly: Oni's damage reduction and -5 DPs will drop his potential in USF4, EventHubs exclusive interview on USF4 changes, Wao's Oni, and more

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • March 19, 2014 at 2:17 p.m. PDT

EMP|Sanford Kelly has been quite active in the competitive fighting game scene lately: taking part in ESGN TV's Fight Night Street Fighter series, consistently placing at Next Level Battle Circuit, and attending major events like NEC 14 and Winter Brawl 8.

We here at EventHubs wanted to have a word with the man behind the most lethal Oni in the states, and get his thoughts on a few different subjects. In this exclusive interview, you'll read what Sanford had to say about Oni's changes in Ultra Street Fighter 4, future plans for he and his gaming team, Empire Arcadia, what games Sanford may pick up seriously, and more.

Below is a snippet to get you started, but be sure to hit the jump to read everything.

DreamKing: Over the years you’ve been known as a jack of all trades of sorts in Street Fighter 4. However, it seems you’ve settled on Oni as of late. Why is that?

Sanford: I have been using Oni since he came out casually back in the ARC in late 2012. I had a deep interest in him and began engineering some tech to see what his potential in the future would be. I decided to take him seriously when I entered a tourney with him. It was like giving him a test drive after almost a year in the lab. Recently within the last 6 months I've decided to take him to the next level by using him as one of my mains competitively. It’s very fun actually.

DreamKing: As many know, Wao is a very successful Oni player in Japan right now. You recently expressed your feelings about his play-style over on Facebook, referring to it as “basic.” Do you still feel the same after Wao’s 3rd place win at SCR 2014, and in what ways does your Oni play differ from his?

Sanford: Wao is a great player and has done very well with him in Japan over the last year. I feel a lot of the reason that is the case is because the players (in Japan) are not doing the research on the character Oni. They’ve become too comfortable with the top placers and characters there and are overlooking the other characters and players.

DreamKing: Ultra Street Fighter 4 is only a few months away from release, and Oni is getting a considerable amount of buffs/nerfs. Which of his changes do you feel will affect him the most and why?

Sanford: Oni's damage in USF4 will be decreased slightly in the new game, so I think it will affect him a bit. I think his potential performance will be decreased considering DP is -5 now so him being able to FADC it isn't going to be that great in my opinion unless this changes.

DreamKing: Speaking of USF4, are there any characters that you feel are already looking to be strong in the upcoming update?

Sanford: I believe Juri, Honda, and Gouken will be strong in USF4 with the changes.

DreamKing: Now, we all know that you’re a beast in SSF4 AE v2012, but you’ve mentioned on Twitter that you’re also starting to get into Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 a bit more. How is that going?

Sanford: UMvC3 just isn't my type of game. (laughs*) I support those that play it though. That struggle is real :)

DreamKing: Are there any other games that interest you at the moment that you’d consider playing seriously?

Sanford: I like Injustice and also the new Guilty Gear...I'm really considering playing it a bit.

DreamKing: You are represented by Empire Arcadia, competing alongside other top-level players such as EMP|Dieminion, EMP|IFC Yipes, and more. How do you feel about your team, and do you/EMP have any big plans for 2014?

Sanford: Empire Arcadia is a huge reason why I'm very good in games. Most of the people are like family to me because I've known them for 10+years. Through my ups and downs in life these guys who I consider my true friends never left my side and always fight the good fight. In terms of the business for the organization, TriForce has made some changes and sought the help that the brand needs from a management standpoint to advance us further in eSports. I’m confident he and management have found the right path for the Empire as a whole.

As a team and on the competitive field for 2014 we all have been doing well. We started out the year with myself winning APEX 2014, Dieminion taking Winter Brawl 8 and K-Brad doing a magnificent job not only winning SoCal Regionals but defending the country from international competitors from winning AE. I’m confident we’ll continue to do well. Each year we have met our quota since the team was formed in 2002 so I don’t see any reason we can’t continue to do what we do every year.

A couple of events have reached out to us internationally and we answered the call. I can see that as a team we’re looking to expand our brand internationally and we’re working hard in Europe to help put the team out there, especially in France. You might see me at Stunnfest and Republic of Fighters come May so stay tuned. Success is the goal :)

DreamKing: Capcom has finally revealed the identity of Ultra Street Fighter 4’s final character; a Cammy-like M. Bison doll named Decapre. What are your impressions of this fighter so far, and do you think she’ll be a welcome addition to the USF4 roster?

Sanford: There are a lot of things Capcom could have done differently. From adding more characters, to additional new stages or just a new engine altogether. I’m not a developer or a game designer so I can’t complain. To me it’s just an upgrade of the same game so it’s whatever if they want to rehash stages and characters. There's no sense in complaining if you're going to play it anyway so accept it and keep going. The scene is growing so the best you can do is grow with it.

DreamKing: Would you like to make any shoutouts?

Sanford: Shout outs to those who support me and those who hate because I accept both. I'm doing something right if I’m in your sights (Dante voice) lol . Thank you Empire Arcadia and the family Yipes, Jeron, Persia, Krey, Red, DragonGod, Matrix and a lot more for believing in me for so long even at times when I did wrong. Shout outs to EMP’s management team Lofton Global and get ready for something big in July with MVG. Shout outs to ESGN TV for having me over in Germany. You guys are awesome. Thank you Arcade Street in France for holding down my brothers, Dieminion and TriForce during their extended stay in France. Shout outs to Big E Gaming, Larry shin Blanka (Final Round), Sweet Johnny Cage and Li Joe (ECT) and the rest of the crew. I see you :D Most importantly shout outs to EventHubs, you guys are improving dramatically with your content.

A big thanks to Empire Arcadia and Sanford Kelly for taking the time to work with us here at EventHubs.

Images via Sanford's Facebook.

Comments

SpiderUppercut said on March 19, 2014 at 2:21 p.m.

The -5 FADC DP forward dash is a terrible blanket change.

It should be rolled back immediately.

If anything, this should only apply to all wakeup special moves (with the reversal flag tripped), and not just "DP's".
That way, players can still use their 2 bars of meter for offensive pressure if they choose to do so.

I'm more leaning towards removing the -5 change completely, unless theyre going to normalize everything else. including health, backdashes and stun. :)

Existent said on March 19, 2014 at 2:21 p.m.

Jesus Christ, where did that Oni artwork come from?

Dreamking23 said on March 19, 2014 at 2:23 p.m.

Sanford has it on Facebook. I was looking around for the source, but to no avail :(

Existent said on March 19, 2014 at 2:24 p.m.

Which wakeup moves are you referring to that aren't already affected?

ShinzoBishamon said on March 19, 2014 at 2:32 p.m.

I think -5 dp FADC is great gets rid of noob outs and makes you commit to things, it'll force you to really have a read on your opponent to do this.

Lordd_G said on March 19, 2014 at 2:35 p.m.

Nerf all Shotos more!!!!

KataM said on March 19, 2014 at 2:35 p.m.

He can't FADC his shoryuken on block now, so giving him the option won't drop his potential. He can cancel it with a back dash, which is more than nothing.

Zanpakto said on March 19, 2014 at 2:37 p.m.

I think its true they are over nerfing DP FADC First is 2nd hit cant be FADC and now DP FADC are -5 little bit to harsh especially for offense players.

Not to mention FADC Backdash is worse i heard people could punish with some ultras.

They going to implement DP FADC - 5 it should be only on Reversal/wakeup only.

Sonneillon said on March 19, 2014 at 2:39 p.m.

It's on DevianArt

xYomiLord420x said on March 19, 2014 at 2:48 p.m.

I think it should be -3, -5 is a bit too much.

Yisandra said on March 19, 2014 at 2:49 p.m.

Yes what he said is stupid.
And that damage nerf is nothing. 10 damage on a move that is scaled anyway in a combo ?

SnakeX said on March 19, 2014 at 2:50 p.m.

DP FADC -5 should and WILL stay. No more get out of jail free cards, if you're gonna be throwing out DPs like a nut, get ready to actually have a consequence besides just burning meter to stay safe or continue pressure. It's time to graduate 09ers, Safe Fighter 4 is going out the window.

sarif2soon said on March 19, 2014 at 2:50 p.m.

Are you playing against super noobs? 'Cause I don't know any who use DP->FADC.

Izick said on March 19, 2014 at 2:52 p.m.

I agree with #1 and #8 -5 DP FADC should be only on Reversal/wakeup.

For ken and some other characters this a huge nerf for their offense game and its just not worth the risk IMO.

Yisandra said on March 19, 2014 at 2:52 p.m.

-3 moves are stupid tbh. A third of the cast can punish -3 frames moves super easily (shotos...), half the cast can punish it with a decent hit confirm, and the rest will have to commit / won't be able to do much (besides a throw that can be tech).

Lockm said on March 19, 2014 at 2:52 p.m.

-5 dp is GREAT. A dp fadc on block is used to get out of pressure, instead you can now freely try and stop tthe pressure without any real worries. You mash/time the dp and dash forward, if it hits you get extra damage, if it is blocked you do a throw tech or if you are yolo another dp. The DP being -5 after fadc ONLY matters when used defensively, that is the payment you get for dashing forward and being greedy for the potential extra damage. The only thing you should get when doing this frmo a defensive position is getting out of pressure, and you get that by backdashing the dp.

During offense you hitconfirm it, simple as that. No more scrubby dp's to "blow up" crouchtechps with a f*cking invincible attac, try a frame trap or shimmy the crouchtech and trow them after it. Looking forward to taking 400 damage from them if they decide to fadc forward on block :D

Kelshou said on March 19, 2014 at 3 p.m.

The -5 DP FADC change was the best change so far!

massi4h said on March 19, 2014 at 3:05 p.m.

-5 DP FADC is dumb considering that you can't cancel the first hit. I could live with 1 of those 2 changes, but both changes are saying DPs are now only for YOLO or combos which is pretty dumb. Being -1 or -2 is fine since you get put at a disadvantage, but you are still safe for the use of your two meters.
People don't realise that a DP FADC is a sacrifice of half of your maximum meter which isn't anything little.

When I first heard Akuma was only going to be able to cancel the first hit I thought OK now people will have to do proper combos off of the first hit FADC making the hit confirm much harder, etc. But nope, there's no metagame of having two bars or not. You have the same reason to mash DP now.

Remondo02 said on March 19, 2014 at 3:08 p.m.

IMainDanHibiki said on March 19, 2014 at 3:09 p.m.

-5 is a brilliant change. Also loving the fact that it doesn't affect Dan, thank the gods.

wayofBushinRyu said on March 19, 2014 at 3:09 p.m.

-5 on DP>FADC is the best change in the game. I hope its there to stay forever. No more YOLO DPs to get out of jail for free, you'll have to commit.

Izick said on March 19, 2014 at 3:10 p.m.

Let see an Example for Pressure

Using ken Opponent is blocking
- Jab jab into DP Fadc forward Dash when u get punished by a combo
- jab jab into DP Fadc Backdash u will get punish By certain ultras and special moves
- Jab jab DP and didn't fadc the first since trying to get the 2nd hit to Fadc into ultra but 2nd hit of DP can't be FADC now u will get Full Blown Punish.
- Jab jab DP Fadc the first hit since u thought your opponent will block it now u have to 1 frame link and if u missed it you will get reversal.

So where the reward? Its very clear that the reward its not worth the risk.

which is why DP Fadc - 5 should be punish only those who wakeup or Smash reversal DP.

samuraix025 said on March 19, 2014 at 3:11 p.m.

You're kidding right?

Existent said on March 19, 2014 at 3:13 p.m.

You have no idea what "troll" means.

Dreamking23 said on March 19, 2014 at 3:13 p.m.

Do you have a link handy? I'd like to add it to the credit.

IMainDanHibiki said on March 19, 2014 at 3:16 p.m.

Who in their right mind would do Jab Jab DP FADC on block? Jabs are safe, DP's aren't. Any competent player knows that.

massi4h said on March 19, 2014 at 3:18 p.m.

I love how everyone thinks using 2 bars is "get out of jail free" LOL. Especially when you are already at frame advantage and -2 bars if they block it.

Remondo02 said on March 19, 2014 at 3:19 p.m.

MyKiLL said on March 19, 2014 at 3:20 p.m.

[s]I think that piece was in the free art book y'all posted up eons ago.[/s] Nvm, my bad

IMainDanHibiki said on March 19, 2014 at 3:21 p.m.

It's not just about it being Get out of Jail Free. It's the amount of options that come afterwards. A lot of characters can get a LOT of damage off a random FADC'd DP. THAT'S the problem; not only is it safe, but it can also lead to huge damage at seriously little to no risk.

Izick said on March 19, 2014 at 3:22 p.m.

For those People would like smash or press a button or going for the chip damage should be rewarded for making that read.

But what i said above is just an Example another example is on your opponents wakeup, offense pressure and ETC.

The risk for DP FADC its too high is not even worth it for those players who like to play offense style.

liamdmc said on March 19, 2014 at 3:22 p.m.

honestly reckon is stupid. whilst yeah it will stop scrubs it will also have other potential effects that no one is thinking about. ryu being mid tier will get a tfree super everytime they block shoryuken. regardless of backdash and forward dash. not to mention hit confirming some peoples shoryuken is hard withot an already fadc. seth for example gets pushed back to much for normal hit confirms so now he has to doubly commit with standing hp as well. ryu has a three frame invincible shoryuken but what about kens 4 frame and sagats 5 frame? at high level they are gona get safe jumped constantly. no need using these moves defensively any more as they gona get blocked and punished for free. also what about people who has crap anti air normals. seth has no far away anti air normal. only directly above him.

Existent said on March 19, 2014 at 3:22 p.m.

That's all well and good. That's not what I'm talking about.
You're calling him a troll when that is not what the word means.

The_Big_Boss said on March 19, 2014 at 3:24 p.m.

I've seen you post some pretty good stuff in the comments so I'm going to assume you're joking.

Anyways -5 is GREAT because most of the characters that use this get a free Ultra out of it (Ryu/Ken/Oni/E.Ryu/Cammy/Fei Long after Chicken Wing Juggle) or get to continue their vortex/keep away game (Akuma/Seth/Cammy). If you have a high success rate with this and have trained your opponent to throw you all match, then you should be fine. No reason this should have even been safe in the first place and I honestly feel like this change alone will get people back into the game.

Remondo02 said on March 19, 2014 at 3:25 p.m.

DannyBoyPERU said on March 19, 2014 at 3:27 p.m.

-5 on block is perfect, no more free escape, stop crying, now you will learn how to play by reads.

Existent said on March 19, 2014 at 3:31 p.m.

Nope. A troll is someone saying something with the intent of causing anger and discontent with as many replies as possible.

DannyBoyPERU said on March 19, 2014 at 3:31 p.m.

He complains about damage reduced, what about honda's damage ? It affected a lot ( since they took most of hia damage) and oni will lose just a bit, so do not make it a big deal

jwim said on March 19, 2014 at 3:32 p.m.

-2 is safe so i dont see what people are talking about there.....what kind of advantage does a person have at +2 on defense? none lol thats why you see throws and throw techs after shroyu fadc.....I think having -5 will be better in the long run and you will see more reads instead of guesses which will lead to more baits and better punishes

ShinzoBishamon said on March 19, 2014 at 3:35 p.m.

you haven't played enough people offline then

Murdurus said on March 19, 2014 at 3:41 p.m.

I laugh at the argument that DP FADC is -2 therefore it isn't a great option. If it wasn't a great option, why would you do it? 1.) It's not punishable save for Ryu and Chun's super (if they can react fast enough) and 2.) if it connects, more damage and/or ultra. For the cost of two bars, I'll take that any day to get them to doubt themselves so they can't apply pressure. And keep in mind, those two bars don't even need to be spent, the possibility of me doing it is enough to deter them from applying pressure.

At -5, at least I would then have to consider the risk vs. reward. It might cost me the round and two bars if I guess wrong but I'll win if it connects. But why is it fair that I have to spend two bars to possibly win when they can punish me if they block it and I lose? Well, DP has invincibility and if I can guess right between their strings or DP their pressure, I win, chances are, the reason why I am doing it is because I'm in a bad position not because I'm trying to DP FADC on their wake up in hopes they press a button and ultra.

So I really do hope that it stays at -5 so people stop using it as a braindead option to win.

SnakeX said on March 19, 2014 at 3:53 p.m.

Well said.

massi4h said on March 19, 2014 at 3:57 p.m.

No one said it's currently a bad option.
It's a good way to spend your two bars.
Is it overpowered and dominating the game? No it isn't.

The current change means having two bars makes almost no difference in your decision on doing a DP.

While we're at it, lets stop Yun's EX shoulder going through fireballs because hey it's a "good option".

GenSoHotSpicy said on March 19, 2014 at 4:01 p.m.

I still play vanilla, cuz Im a hipster and I keep it gangSTAR. Who is Oni?

Remondo02 said on March 19, 2014 at 4:02 p.m.

Madenka said on March 19, 2014 at 4:02 p.m.

I don't understand Sanford's logic concerning the DP FADC changes... Am I just dumb?

logitech2059 said on March 19, 2014 at 4:05 p.m.

To be fair Ken would do it most out of all the Shotos because he has kara shoryuken and he has counter hit to fish for Ultra 1. Its part of Kens mix up game, you can jab jab kara grab, jab jab kara shoryuken or jab jab standing MP its a pretty common technique that pro players such as michael tan and momochi use all the time.
-5 honestly isn't a bad idea but i still beleive this universal change mixed with the fact you can only fadc on first hit now hurts Ken the most. Because Ken unlike other shotos relies on the 2nd hit of his Shoryu to fadc into his Ultra 1. So it will be a nightmare trying to hit confirm his shoryus.
I don't see the harm in letting Ken being able to fadc on block on the second hit now that his dp fadc is -5 it's not like he can use it as a mix up option on block anymore but he will still be able to hit confirm into Ultra1.

Kinimaster said on March 19, 2014 at 4:05 p.m.

Im telling you, this is going to be Ultra defensive fighter 4, dp fadc was fine, most entertaining characters use it. It was a good pressure tool, and costed 2 meters. Not unfair.

Kinimaster said on March 19, 2014 at 4:07 p.m.

And yeah i agree with you on that nerf, its so unfair,, it hurts Ken the most, i dont know why COMBOFIEND is making it a universal change, Ken needs to fadc on second hit, he already has the worst chip dmg out of SRK.

Feistypopo said on March 19, 2014 at 4:08 p.m.

Japanese haven't complained about character changes? You're either lying or dumb.

Kinimaster said on March 19, 2014 at 4:12 p.m.

Ken is supossed to be a blazing pressure character, but they are taking all his pressure tools, to me he is the most fun shoto to watch, but what can he do against a buffed Guile now...with those Srk nerfs they gave him. Its not like he is Ryu that can compete in zoning...

Anyways, i think we all should learn some boring azz charge character now...

Madenka said on March 19, 2014 at 4:13 p.m.

Yo, isn't Seth currently positive on DP FADC?

Murdurus said on March 19, 2014 at 4:14 p.m.

Actually, it is overpowered and dominating. How many characters can DP FADC and don't use it? Exactly, none; they all use it. How many characters are ranked top tier and don't have DP FADC? The sole fact that a character is capable of DP FADC into more damage increases their tier rank by huge margins.

I would hardly say that it doesn't make a difference after the change. Again, read my post again, you have to make a risk vs. reward assessment. If you land it, you win, if you don't, you might lose (depending on how much health you have left). I hardly think that's unfair and useless.

Yun's EX shoulder is punishable on block and it is one of his options to get through fireballs. Now, if a majority of the cast got Yun's EX shoulder, that might be a cause for concern. Or even still, if everyone got Yun's EX shoulder, it wouldn't deal 30-40% of a player's life and can be thrown out in between pressure strings so I don't see how Yun's EX shoulder and DP FADC can even be close to comparable.

deteknician said on March 19, 2014 at 4:15 p.m.

DP FADC being -5 is the best change in Ultra.

SpiderUppercut said on March 19, 2014 at 4:24 p.m.

DP FADC being -5 is the WORST change in Ultra.

Do any of you scrubs have a spare brain cell between any of you?

If this change goes through then it destroys any kind of forward pressure a character with a DP may have with 2 bars.

EDIT: Except Cammy, of course. She can still FADC backdash into Ultra.

Change it so that ANY character who uses a special move as a reversal on wakeup, FADC and dashes forward with it is -5.

Do not discriminate against a character because you couldn't be bothered to learn how a special move works, why it was designed and/or a matchup.

Pathetic scrubs.

Izick said on March 19, 2014 at 4:27 p.m.

+1 for your comment not only that and its only safe pressure option for Fadc since Example Cr.mk into Fireball is not a true blockstring. But yeah this change hurts ken more than anything theres a reason why in sfxt Ken HP DP is a safe tag cancel.

Jaaj301 said on March 19, 2014 at 4:28 p.m.

You can still use it, if you release the FA instead of dashing forward immediately.

What this change does is lowering the reward off of it, it doesn't remove it entirely.

RedRapperSux said on March 19, 2014 at 4:31 p.m.

Should he? I mean the word has become so vague over the last 4 years.

Murdurus said on March 19, 2014 at 4:31 p.m.

We're the scrubs when you're using DP FADC as a pressure tool? LOL

Abbadon36 said on March 19, 2014 at 4:31 p.m.

Interesting. I hope they make it so after this update they can make quicker updates like other titles can. Because 3-6 months after Ultra comes out im sure an "ironing" of sorts will be needed and waiting for another year to get them would kinda be annoying.

SpiderUppercut said on March 19, 2014 at 4:36 p.m.

Any special move that can be used on wakeup as a reversal to escape pressure, EX or not.

If the character is in wakeup state, and does a special move thats a reversal, then FADC dash forward; fradv = -5.

Let's do it!

Remondo02 said on March 19, 2014 at 4:37 p.m.

Murdurus said on March 19, 2014 at 4:44 p.m.

Then smart players would delay their wake up DPs so it's not a reversal so it's not -5 making this change moot. And you're the one asking us if we have any spare brain cells left?

Madenka said on March 19, 2014 at 4:46 p.m.

DP FADC didn't exist in other Street Fighter titles, so I don't get the big deal. The attack should definitely not be positive on block though.

Yung said on March 19, 2014 at 4:55 p.m.

I don't get it. Is Oni getting nerfed or buffed ?

Remondo02 said on March 19, 2014 at 5:01 p.m.

SpiderUppercut said on March 19, 2014 at 5:01 p.m.

But if you delayed your wakeup DP, then it wouldnt be a wakeup DP would it?

It all comes down to paying attention to super bar and meter management. More players need to do it.

While youre at it, would you mind throwing over some of those hitboxes Guy has got for his elbow? How about some target combos other characters simply do not have? Cheers!

BTW, Can Guy FADC and dash forward any of his special moves to maintain pressure in block strings?

Kaxner said on March 19, 2014 at 5:01 p.m.

LOL that's like saying "i love the nerf ban, as long as it doesn't touch my character." That mentality is despicable.

Wedge said on March 19, 2014 at 5:02 p.m.

How can DP -5 negatively effect him when he can't even do it at all now? Seems like a moot point. I guess he could become MUCH BETTER were he getting it and that wasn't the case, but that would be hella stupid since he has the best DP in the game otherwise.

ibLeo said on March 19, 2014 at 5:08 p.m.

I can see what he's saying about a lot of players getting too comfortable playing against the top characters. It's hard to know whether the characters are considered top tier because of the players, or the players place highly because of their characters. What I do know is that at FR17 on Day 2 there were very few characters used that weren't in Vanilla SF4. Seems to me that the top players settled on their characters in Vanilla and nothing has been able to shake them from it. There was a big hullabaloo about Daigo ditching Ryu for Yun, but that didn't exactly last long. Characters like Juri, Hakan, Cody, Dudley, Dee Jay, and T.Hawk being considered low tier might not be based so much on their ability as the fact that not many people bothered with them to begin with. It seems too much of a coincidence to think that the only "top tier characters" are the the ones that have been out the longest.

That might be what Ono meant when he said that it would be good for the tournament scene to make Yun overpowered on purpose - it actually got people to bother giving new characters a serious try instead of sticking with the same ol', same ol'. What happened when Yun wasn't OP? People ditched him and went back to old familiar Ronseal Ryu.

It's why you have to really respect Gamerbee for taking Adon, a character nobody really rated, and showing what he could do.

Gurpwnder said on March 19, 2014 at 5:12 p.m.

@ 20

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

edrigo said on March 19, 2014 at 5:15 p.m.

Yeah he is a troll for you i guess cause your the only one getting hot and bothered about his opinion on something.

Murdurus said on March 19, 2014 at 5:21 p.m.

A delayed wake up DP is still considered a wake up DP, it may not be a reversal but it's still a wake up DP.

If I decide to sit on two bars the entire game, you cannot reliably pressure me because of the threat of DP FADC ultra. How is that fair to the other characters that are unable to do that?

I don't understand what the relevance of Guy's elbow or target combos have to do with anything.

Guy can FADC his shoulder to keep pressure but it's not positive on block nor can he ultra off of it unless the opponent is in the corner and gets hit by the shoulder (no reason why you should be getting hit by a random shoulder). Not to mention it's not invincible and definitely not 3-5f start up and cannot be used in pressured situations.

IMainDanHibiki said on March 19, 2014 at 5:38 p.m.

Ha, even if I mained Ken I'd want the change to stay; the last thing Dan needs is nerfs, and if I recall he's -2 on FADC Koryuken anyway, so it's hard to resume pressure afterwards.

Baby_Astaroth said on March 19, 2014 at 5:41 p.m.
vicious1024 said on March 19, 2014 at 5:52 p.m.

Perhaps I misread something, but how is a -5 DP>FADC going to affect Oni's performance?

If you DP with him without first confirming it was going to hit, it was already a risk - he couldn't FADC on block before. Now, you're just wasting two bars to take a similar punishment.

Feistypopo said on March 19, 2014 at 6:02 p.m.

Right.

So I'm going to repeat myself; you're either lying or dumb if you think no Japanese have complained about characters changes.

Remondo02 said on March 19, 2014 at 6:05 p.m.

spotlesseden said on March 19, 2014 at 6:06 p.m.

yeah, -5 on DP>FADC doesn't matter to Oni. No sure what's Oni player complain about.
I have to agree with him about Wao oni being basic. But Wao has better footies than Sanford. Sanford's Oni wouldn't able to get 3rd place Socal regional and will get body by top players like Daigo, and infiltration without good footies.

spotlesseden said on March 19, 2014 at 6:15 p.m.

like Alex Valle said. All those changes don't matter too much to top players. At the end of the days, they are still going to win. IF their character gets nerf too much, they can still change character, so it doesn't really matter.

Feistypopo said on March 19, 2014 at 6:26 p.m.

"@ChrisHuRocks @3_QQQ wants to have different changes other than srk fadc. For example 6hp fadc +3 or combo from Mp rassen etc. He will write"

Zhi translating a tweet from Wao complaining about Oni changes.

And here you were talking your ish about Sanford complaining about Oni changes! Wao complained too! You gotta calm down on the Japanese nut hugging, seriously.

Arma said on March 19, 2014 at 6:29 p.m.

I love all the moaning about the DP changes.. get used to it fellas. There are some of us that use characters that don't have GDLK reversals that are FADC'able (like Guy). Learn to take the risk or not at all.

Kinimaster said on March 19, 2014 at 6:30 p.m.

Yeah but atleast you got a good Shoryu and safe tatsu pressure, Kens got NOTHING safe and has the worst SRK priority in the game, ironically he is supossed to be the SRK master.

And by this im not saying Dan is a good character, just that Ken is losing his purpose. Dan is suppose to be weak according to capcom.

Existent said on March 19, 2014 at 6:37 p.m.

*Edit*

Existent said on March 19, 2014 at 6:40 p.m.

You still didn't answer my question. Which attacks are you talking about? Who has a meterless reversal that hasn't been affected by this change? EX reversals aren't affected because no ex reversals for any characters are -5.

Remondo02 said on March 19, 2014 at 6:42 p.m.

bananainsaneface said on March 19, 2014 at 6:51 p.m.

Agree with Sanford nothing impresses me about Wao he is as basic as it gets and the only reason he did well was because they were unfamiliar with the match up. At SCR he was dropping combos all over the place. Sanfords Oni is amazing to watch he is far better than Wao.

Capcom_Warrior said on March 19, 2014 at 6:52 p.m.

Yes. Guy can FADC to keep applying pressure. Lol. Wow....this guy.

Feistypopo said on March 19, 2014 at 6:57 p.m.

Uh, I am right. This is from his Twitter. How could I possibly be wrong about something that was translated from his Twitter? Please, enlighten me.

So first you attack Sanford for complaining and then I point out that Wao also complained. So what do you do? Justify his complaining because it's not Eventhubs! While, keep in mind, this was an interview. Sanford didn't go out of his way to make this comment on Eventhubs, he was asked for a comment BY Eventhubs.

Should he not speak his mind, the same way Wao did when being asked a question? Why does it matter if it's on Evenhubs or Twitter? If this was any Japanese player, you would've made up some dumb excuse as to why it's okay for them to complain.

This is all you do. You go on here, criticize American's and then nut hug the Japanese.

Yung said on March 19, 2014 at 6:57 p.m.

... Why ?

GH0ST said on March 19, 2014 at 7:12 p.m.

Lol at saltford calling Wao basic, when he got bodied by Gamerbee free! GTFO!

Remondo02 said on March 19, 2014 at 7:18 p.m.

Remondo02 said on March 19, 2014 at 7:20 p.m.

TaokakaBOOM said on March 19, 2014 at 7:23 p.m.

Can this Spider Uppercut guy just get banned already? Christ, EVERY article pertaining to Street Fighter you'll see him bitching about the -5 DP FADC change. Cry me a river, build a bridge and get over it already.

Feistypopo said on March 19, 2014 at 7:26 p.m.

____

Green016 said on March 19, 2014 at 7:26 p.m.

People saying Wao isn't good just make me laugh. So many clueless people here it's scary lol. I'm actually a fan of Sanford in general but he's not in Waos universe.

Remondo02 said on March 19, 2014 at 7:40 p.m.

xYomiLord420x said on March 19, 2014 at 7:43 p.m.

Seriously, the dude took long sets from Daigo, Momochi, Sako, Kazunoko and others; yet people still don't give him the credit he deserves. Then again, that east coast ego is too strong.

ShinzoBishamon said on March 19, 2014 at 7:59 p.m.

You are an idoit if you think Sanford is better than Wao, Wao's footsies are a lot better than Sanfords, just because he doesn't play hyper aggressive like sanford doesn't mean anything, they play completely different styles.And did you watch Sanford at ESGN, he tried to do "amazing" things and got severely blown up for that. Wao plays a passive oni against people he has never played before, go back and watch Topanga league and watch him run a train on people, then try and say how Sanford is better than Wao.

kizasoza215 said on March 19, 2014 at 8:01 p.m.
Load more comments