Combofiend: USF4's Edition Select isn't available online to put the emphasis on the balance work we're doing, requests heard though

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • March 7, 2014 at 7:24 p.m. PST

A number of people have requested that Ultra Street Fighter 4's Edition Select mode be made accessible for online players, and Capcom has acknowledged now on multiple occasions that they've heard this feedback.

Capcom's Peter "Combofiend" Rosas explained that the initial reason this mode wasn't open for online users is that they wanted the focus to be on the balance work they're doing with USF4's cast.

Rosas explained that throwing the unbalanced characters like Vanilla Akuma/Sagat, Super Abel/Honda and AE Yun/Yang undermines the work they've been putting in for the last year — to give the community the most balanced Street Fighter 4 series game to date.

He goes on to say that the Edition Select mode is just for fun, but did say once again they've heard the community's feedback on the subject.

While there's no plans as of now, if things change, Rosas will let the community know.

You can find Peter's entire response after the jump.

Smashbro29: Why is Edition Select so detached? I mean at the very least make the mode playable online.

Combofiend: Hey all, the initial reason that this mode wasn't made online available was that we wanted the main emphasis to be placed on the Ultra versions of the characters. By introducing the older unbalanced characters (Vanilla Akuma/Sagat, Super Abel/Honda, AE Yun/Yang) we'd only undermine the work that's been put in over the last year to give fans the most balanced SFIV yet. This mode is just supposed to be a fun aside that you can play your friends with as you try to figure which character is the strongest (hence local only).

That's not to say we haven't noticed the requests to have this go online. Although there are no plans of it now, if anything comes to fruition, I'll keep you all updated.

Source: Capcom Unity, image from Comic Vine.

Comments

sfnguilt said on March 7, 2014 at 7:27 p.m.

good

RoRilla said on March 7, 2014 at 7:28 p.m.

boooooo

Wintry said on March 7, 2014 at 7:29 p.m.

I always believed in you, Combofiend.

Igydigital said on March 7, 2014 at 7:30 p.m.

Makes sense.... People will be more inclined to just play the edition select and not concentrate On ultra. But again endless online wouldn't be so bad ...

IMainDanHibiki said on March 7, 2014 at 7:32 p.m.

Er... I fail to see how it trivializes the balancework that they did for Ultra.

I mean, it happened with SFII and people embraced that concept... suddenly it's not okay because it'd supposedly trivialize the balance work they were doing?

That makes zero sense. I understand it for ranked matches, but for Endless? The supposed 'Super fun shiggles' mode of online?

I can see where Peter is coming from, and honestly, I respect his position, but crippling the playerbase by only allowing a potentially extremely fun and silly gametype to be played offline, when oftentimes, especially in cases like mine where the nearest scene is 3-4 hours away with no car, just seems like a bad move in general.

But it's whatever, I guess. I'll be playing Dan and Yang either way.

EXCh33ky said on March 7, 2014 at 7:32 p.m.

Pfft what a dumb decision. Such a fun idea, now useless to those people who rely on online. Thanks Capcom

Mr_Pyro said on March 7, 2014 at 7:33 p.m.

Endless mode is what would work fine. I'd be all for a post-release patch if necessary.

Redblaze27 said on March 7, 2014 at 7:33 p.m.

This greatly kills my excitement for the game.

JrockEclipse said on March 7, 2014 at 7:33 p.m.

I really would like to see edition select for rank but if not, at least have edition select for endless mode!

teufelsdroch said on March 7, 2014 at 7:37 p.m.

Translation: We can't put edition select online, because too many people would like it. wtf?

Catalyst said on March 7, 2014 at 7:39 p.m.

I don't think the decision not to put Edition Select online is final, so I'd wait to see what develops. Both Ono and Rosas have now said they've heard the community's feedback on this, so I'd be patient here.

spotlesseden said on March 7, 2014 at 7:40 p.m.

boooo combofiend.

madmonk25 said on March 7, 2014 at 7:43 p.m.

It's understandable. Maybe later down the road when the game has had a long enough lifespan they will reconsider.

Aluppoj said on March 7, 2014 at 7:44 p.m.

Either way I'm fine.

My main focus is with Ultra regardless.

TrueGamingGuru said on March 7, 2014 at 7:44 p.m.

Even though there are no current plans... But its kind of a shame (I understand where there coming from) and it feels like a waste of a really good mode if it doesn't get many online options. Even if this feature was to split up the community, but this Edition Mode should be on all online modes with a filter option, (like the one when SSFIVAE came around and players can choose between SSFIV or SSFIVAE players) and I would recommend take a similar route similar to SCIV online where you can choose between standard mode (meaning no custom effects from the customization & weapon effects) and the custom mode where it uses its RPG element. (because customization can change character stats) Except make it a filter option before they start up the match.

This might be asking for too much, but this mode adds more interest & playability to the game itself. I don't expect much

NyuBomber said on March 7, 2014 at 7:48 p.m.

Combo...

I don't have offline friends who are into SF enough to get why Edition Select is fun. :'(

This is the 21st century, I don't live in a big local fighter hub, and the fact is that most of my best fighter-playing friends are online.

I really don't think having Edition Select available for Endless lobbies as an option, with no Capcom support for keeping track of any rankings or ladder (as anyone with sense will know to expect), will affect people's perceptions that the Ultra cast is Capcom's best earnest balancing efforts, alongside the community feedback provided to this version. Ultra is obviously the main event.

ghoultechnology said on March 7, 2014 at 7:48 p.m.

eh

here's how i feel

MatheViB said on March 7, 2014 at 7:51 p.m.

well i got some offline friends to play this with but honestly i want to play Ultra mostly since is what most ppl is gonna be playing anyway.

damnat1on said on March 7, 2014 at 7:51 p.m.

Syirine said on March 7, 2014 at 7:54 p.m.

Thank goodness. Shut it down, keep that trash offline of here.

xianmsg said on March 7, 2014 at 7:55 p.m.

Just cant wait for Ultra to drop (///_^)

trog said on March 7, 2014 at 8 p.m.

Yeah, I don't get it.
"We want a balanced online game!"
"We don't want balance anymore, we want to play broken characters online!"

This feature shouldn't even be in Ultra at all.

GodotLaserFace said on March 7, 2014 at 8:02 p.m.

Except not everyone has access to play local with friends. A patch for Endless mode would be appreciated.

Existent said on March 7, 2014 at 8:05 p.m.

YOU DON'T SAY!?

ArturoA9790 said on March 7, 2014 at 8:09 p.m.

The game is only a few months from release and decisions like adding an extra online mode take a lot of time of planning and execution. I highly doubt we'll have the option online available at launch if they haven't decided this late in the game. More then likely will be a future patch.

Kwisatz_Haderach said on March 7, 2014 at 8:09 p.m.

While I love SF4, if this mode stays offline it'll kill a lot of my hype for this game.

Dodoria said on March 7, 2014 at 8:11 p.m.

IMHO this is a bad idea because it will separate the online community, the poll of players will split in half and it's going to be hard finding online matches, I would rather have everyone on the same train and let it roll.
I don't want Edition Select to be online.

shakunetsu said on March 7, 2014 at 8:11 p.m.

i see... its up to them but bring this idea to reality is already a good start hope it would be online someday. thank you for hearing are thoughts we really appreciated it.

its always fun to play with the best of the best version of every sf characters in there on sf4 series its like the feel of marvel vs capcom( playing iron man, spiderman, doom with ryu and haggar) or playing capcom vs snk 2 playing kyosuke with iori and benimaru... its like another crossover dream only on a sf4 world with all star cast full powered.

JIHADJOE said on March 7, 2014 at 8:12 p.m.

Like I mentioned in the SCR announcement thread I'm ok with this being offline only. Much more fun to play goofy modes while hanging out getting drunk with friends...

RandomSelectMaster said on March 7, 2014 at 8:13 p.m.

Please please please make sure that all, I mean ALL the characters get the prologue, rival battle cut scenes, and ending! That's a big one for me.

MyKiLL said on March 7, 2014 at 8:14 p.m.

Just make it available for endless so everyone can shut the hell up. Honestly, Ranked? Are y'all out of your freakin minds? If this were to be available on everything including Ranked, then what would be the point of balancing for the potential Ultra metagame in the first place? Second, everyone and their old lady would run amok with the most brain-dead powerful characters just for points. And third, some of us only have online to prep ourselves for tournaments outside of our hometowns. If no one chooses to play the Ultra metagame, which we all know will be tourny standard, then any online warriors attending are just flat out screwed.

JRXP2011 said on March 7, 2014 at 8:17 p.m.

Put it in endless stop messing with us. Capo is always screwing their own good ideas.

mechmaster90 said on March 7, 2014 at 8:18 p.m.

I totally agree with Combofiend here, Ultra is pretty much all about the balance changes. Why should they screw it all a few months before release with edition select ?
I'm A-OK with it being offline only, having access to it won't even affect most of the players anyway.

SFII turbo was a different story, in SF4 the chars were just plain better before, you don't trade your whole Ultra special for slighty better fireballs for example.

This option totally came from nowhere to begin with, I don't understand why people get so jumpy about this anyway.

MRN_SirFoxington said on March 7, 2014 at 8:28 p.m.

im sure glad they dont do it. it totally makes sense after combofiend explained it ! thank you Peter :)

Shinkutatsumaki said on March 7, 2014 at 8:31 p.m.

Like I said, Combofiend wouldn't allow that.

bananainsaneface said on March 7, 2014 at 8:34 p.m.

Everyone seems to trust Capcom to balance it even though they've already failed 4 times. I think playing your fave characters at there most powerful online would be fun and the 85% poll proves that most agree.

Dodoria said on March 7, 2014 at 8:35 p.m.

I don't want the online community to split in half, i'm sorry eventhubs monsters.

perfume said on March 7, 2014 at 8:36 p.m.

SpiderUppercut said on March 7, 2014 at 8:37 p.m.

Not interested in making it available for Endless mode only.

I want it selectable across all modes including;
Ranked/Endless/3vs3/Tournament/anything else they throw in.

Can understand and support the decision by the powers that be though!

Maybe they couldnt muster up enough resources before the deadline. so what makes sense is possibly making it available across all modes via a future patch more feasible.

In the meantime we will all have to get used to being -5 when we FADC and dash forward out of all special moves. :)

EDIT: Oh, and theres some BS floating around where the community gets split in half.. This is completely false. The current version works perfectly and that works with both Super SF4 and AE 2012. Lie more scrubs!

Dodoria said on March 7, 2014 at 8:46 p.m.

you're comparing 2 different editions , on separated discs. Everyone will be on the same plane on ultra.
On AE there was no reason to play with super players, the default would always be AE. On Ultra, if you give 2 equally demanded modes, the balance with go either way, it's going to be a struggle finding a match.. if it ever happens of course, probably in the 1st days it would be fully loaded on both modes, but after 1-2 years who knows what might happen.

shekeib said on March 7, 2014 at 8:50 p.m.

If he is worried about it undermining their work (which i can understand why he feels that way) they can put the option to play endless battle edition select in a patch two months down the line like they did with team battle mode a while ago....I think they added some tournament mode or something in a patch back in SSF4

Sage_Liebert said on March 7, 2014 at 8:52 p.m.

Yeah, I'd rather the people be spending time playing the Ultra update so I can have more people to fight online.

I'm ready to back break some clowns with Hugo.

Topaz said on March 7, 2014 at 8:53 p.m.

Good, now keep it that way. Commitment to the Ultra version balance must be enforced.

SqueakyBloom said on March 7, 2014 at 8:54 p.m.

I seems that this mode will be played very little if they don't at least allow it into lobbies.

ZaFuuru said on March 7, 2014 at 8:54 p.m.

Scrubs don't want a balanced game, scrubs want to play broken characters because they suck. They want a broken character for them and every other character to be weak, it's the only way they can win

Remondo02 said on March 7, 2014 at 8:55 p.m.

TheTHCGamer said on March 7, 2014 at 8:55 p.m.

Same the wait is killing me and the release date seems so far. The good thing is you don't rush balancing a roster this large because your just going to be left having to repeatedly rebalance the game all over again. I won't mention any names but there's a reason why other developers balance there fighting games every couple of weeks with horrible results.

HooliganComboFTW said on March 7, 2014 at 8:56 p.m.

Don't need silly modes like this to unnecessarily split the community I agree with Peter. Ultra edition is the real game and people need to play it or just play an obsolete SFIV if they want to relive the glory days badly enough that they would ignore the updated version in front of them where Capcom is directly pushing for. Be glad that they added the mode at all.

Legacy said on March 7, 2014 at 9:01 p.m.

Whats the point of even re-balancing the game if they're just gonna allow you to play every character in their strongest sf4 form anyways?
... I think edition select is cool and will be a hype side event at majors but it shouldnt be in ranked, it shouldnt be the MAIN event at Majors... with that said, im fine with it being in endless and online training mode, etc. Go nuts, have fun with your friends. But competitively speaking (from the pov of a pot monster) f*** edition select.

Mr_Pyro said on March 7, 2014 at 9:05 p.m.

I really don't understand a lot of this feedback. They announced it for offline play, lots of people want to play it, and yet they can't because they have no one to play it with in person. Therefore, they want to play online with friends. Denying people this opportunity is, in my opinion, very unfair considering all the hype they put around the announcement.

You're all blowing the whole "split the community" thing way out of proportion. The only time that would be a concern is if it were a separate Ranked feature. Fooling around with it on Endless doesn't harm anyone, and to be honest, anyone going around saying that this feature shouldn't be online at all sound really stuck-up. This is a video game, not just something that tournament players use. There is no harm in expansion and having dumb modes to laugh with.

Don't throw logic out the window, people. If this feature doesn't have a strong legacy as an offline feature then they might as well have not put it in. But since they've put it in, they might as well make good use of it. Don't be a sourpuss and just find comfort in knowing that anyone would have a way to play however they want.

Kijui said on March 7, 2014 at 9:11 p.m.

In all honesty, what the hell makes him think that we'll just neglect what Ultra has become. I would play BOTH modes and not just get into one mode, are they serious? I feel like they aren;t being fair to their fanbase, trust me, we won't let the actual "serious: mode die out, we aren't stupid. I think Dream Mode (that's what I call it because it sounds better) will be amazing as another Endless Lobby type mode (obviously I don't agree with Dream Ranked, that would be too broken, plus how would you handle the battle points for each character?). Maybe even a Dream Team Battle. All I'm saying is, that some of us enjoy playing online, and we like to have fun too, I was hoping Dream Mode would be online because I would like to play Vanilla Dan against other version of other characters to see how he fares. DOn;t deny us this chance to play with other, Capcom. Those of us who are chained to our seats.

In OTHER NEWS, ONE MORE WEEK TILL THE FIFTH CHARACTER! GET HYPE AGAIN!

#ItBetterbeDan'sMomOrElse
#SaikyoWorldOrder'14

ANGRY_SCAR said on March 7, 2014 at 9:19 p.m.

I support Edition Select mode for online support with its own ranking and leader board system.

And heres to hoping that the mode gets played regularly in tournaments to.

Colares said on March 7, 2014 at 9:26 p.m.

Relax, in Ultra 2015 we will have online edition select.

Shintakuma said on March 7, 2014 at 9:44 p.m.

Thank you, now leave well enough alone and release the damn 5th character already!

ninja_philosopher said on March 7, 2014 at 9:45 p.m.

Well said. However if they want to include it in Ultra Online, they could simply create another mode named like Edition Select Mode, which can be a copy of Endless except people will be able to select character editions here. In this way, the awesome and pure Endless won't be contaminated.

nunyabusiness said on March 7, 2014 at 9:45 p.m.

The hype for me was the Edition Select. I cannot believe they are actually considering making a multiplayer game where 99% of the matches are online have an OFFLINE mode for one of the most hype settings of all (Street Fighter) time... I'm in disbelief...

nightmaresteam said on March 7, 2014 at 9:55 p.m.

They could just make a separate ranked and endless for edition select and make it togglable when you create a lobby so that people who just want to play the USFIV versions of characters can play normal ranked and not join lobbies that allow edition select. And give edition select ranked its own leaderboard so that people playing edition select do not show up in the normal leaderboard.

GodotLaserFace said on March 7, 2014 at 10:03 p.m.

Split the community? That's a little ridiculous considering most of the online players are found in Ranked. All I ask is for a filter to select between Edition Select or regular Ultra ONLY in Endless mode for fun. I think that would be the best solution and it wouldn't take away from the Ultra version since that's what the majority will be playing anyway.

dorayaki said on March 7, 2014 at 10:33 p.m.

STUPIT. First of all, putting the option in the game AT ALL "undermines" the balance work for Ultra.

Second, you can currently select different versions of SF4 to filter when you look for ranked matches. Those NERDS who take the game so seriously can keep the Ultra only option for ranked while normal people can fiddle around. PROBLEM SOLVED.

The majority of US players are online, but you put a offline only feature - awesome. Check the major tourny stream numbers - 10-20 thousand viewers and only 200 of them at any given tourney. What's that tell you? Capcom failfish.

WolfScar24 said on March 7, 2014 at 10:50 p.m.

Combofiend, Haunts, Capcom please.... PLEASE ADD DRAMATIC BATTLE FOR USF4! I LOVED TEAMING UP ON THE CPU WITH MY BUDDIES IN ALPHA AND IT WOULD BE SUPER HYPE TO MAKE IT HAPPEN FOR USF4. YOU CAN HANDLE 3 CHARACTERS ONLINE IF YOU WERE ABLE TO PULL OFF 4 IN SFXT. PLEASE PETER PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WolfScar24 said on March 7, 2014 at 10:51 p.m.

NOT 3 ONLINE LOL I MEANT ON SCREEN.

grabityfree said on March 7, 2014 at 11:04 p.m.

With my crew we will play more edition select than the classic mode, there is too much crying babies in the FGC.They will always find something to cry about.But i dont get it, If u like balanced Game why are u still playing SF4? I mean, after Sagat,Akuma,viper, seth, fei , cammy, yun, yang, sakura , people still believe that ultra will be balanced?

If u really want a balanced game go play chess, i think the match up is a 5.1-4.9 for whites.

KleenexGhost said on March 7, 2014 at 11:04 p.m.

Guys, it's obvious edition select online options will be added with the next re-release. #kappa

Caliban said on March 7, 2014 at 11:04 p.m.

if they dont make it online its going to go to waste, then whats the point of the mode. it's not like its gonna be used in standard touraments

EnsignHiro said on March 7, 2014 at 11:19 p.m.

Then please remove edition select then thanks!

zeezzz said on March 7, 2014 at 11:33 p.m.

OR.....

You could have edition select only playable unless both parties agree as a selectable option in the room lobby. If one or both does not agree, then the standard edition will be playable.

You guys are too quick to say yes or no without giving additional options.

suicine94 said on March 7, 2014 at 11:41 p.m.

Why didnt they buff t hawk enough?

llSilkCutll said on March 7, 2014 at 11:42 p.m.

What if you only play Online? For instance, I live in Swansea (Wales) UK, no FGC scene here, I play all matches online. Gutted TBH I really wanted to destroy people with my Vanilla Ryu!

llSilkCutll said on March 7, 2014 at 11:45 p.m.

Combofiend is thinking with his Socal FGC Head. Please listen to this 99% of the players only play online and they don't not have a FGC scene.

THIS MUST BE PUT IN ONLINE!

SephirothDVR said on March 7, 2014 at 11:52 p.m.

So...because you don't like the idea of offline only, nobody should be able to enjoy it? Selfish much?

shakunetsu said on March 8, 2014 at midnight

HONESTLY what i really wanted about ULTRA SF4 were not a major changes on SSF4 ae the balance of that game is already ok no need for new mechanics. W mode is fine. i dislike the news about the debuff of certain characters cause i like how the tier works and see that there is nothing like dominating fighters on the game unlike MVC2.. i only wnted some BUG fixes, NEW CHARACTERs from sfx with popular character from oter sf series or final fight, new stages and some retro ones and the rest untouch.

i really like news about seth hard punch is back but in a different way.

i have felt bad knowing that none dominating characters in there ssfae version that there tools were lost became useless its like a hard time again. i hope next time all i hear of the game is just buff.

and recently i hyped when heard the select edition thing i dont expect it to be rewarding and i dont even expect it to be tournament standards and i dont want it even to be like that i was expecting it as a different lobby or filter.

after offline news and confirmation i know it would be just a personal family saturday and friday night game for me its still fine but it would be better make it available accross the Online as you see many of us are really wanting this but not something to dominate each other but to have fun and friendly matches not because we are good players but we are sf fans.

it like a crossover battle dream.. in the sf4 universe

shakunetsu said on March 8, 2014 at 12:03 a.m.

but still thank you for bring thia idea and dream crossovwr to reality

Smorgasboard said on March 8, 2014 at 12:17 a.m.

Doesn't anyone think that it's a problem that so many people believe that the unbalanced version is so much more fun than the balanced version.

Seems like Capcom wasted their time with balance and should have just made a broken but fun game like Marvel.

Specta said on March 8, 2014 at 12:22 a.m.

I'm totally against having it in ranked, Ultra is there fore that. But I'm totally for having a dedicated player matches mode for it.

EnsignHiro said on March 8, 2014 at 12:37 a.m.

Wrong. Its because emphasis was put on balance. Why add unbalanced chars via edition mode then?

ShiroKuma said on March 8, 2014 at 12:37 a.m.

I feel that by not mentioning the obvious compromise they're only setting themselves up to be heroes when they implement it.

ZaFuuru said on March 8, 2014 at 12:39 a.m.

Play both? Are you going to learn 1786 matchups? Or maybe you just mash random buttons

Breakingbad said on March 8, 2014 at 12:43 a.m.

It seems they are thinking more about the tournament scene, most pro players don't play online that much, only the most successful and then they are only after donations, advertising revenue or are obliged to do so by their sponsors. Maybe we should see how much money capcom make from the tournament players since they are the ones who will benefit. What happened to choice now they're telling me I'm not able to appreciate the work gone into usf4. Why don't they take what they are shovelling elsewhere.

SpiderUppercut said on March 8, 2014 at 12:50 a.m.

Cheers, brother!

I support Edition Select mode for online with its own ranking , endless and leader board system too.

It's exactly the way Super and AE 2012 works right now, and I still play both. :)

Happy to play people with whichever versions they have!

I play a Ranked match with someone who has Super SF4 only, then it goes on the Super SF4 ranked leaderboards.

I play a Ranked match with someone who has AE 2012 selected, then it goes on the AE 2012 ranked leaderboards.

Doesn't take a genius to understand it. Play whichever mode you wish, as I have it set up with Super and AE 2012 right now!

I wish the PC version had Super mode. :(

Looking forward to playing Ultra SF4 exclusively in the meantime though.

ednd30 said on March 8, 2014 at 12:52 a.m.

the only ones comlaining are ppl who need their op characters to get wins im glad not online

jason24cf said on March 8, 2014 at 12:57 a.m.

Are you aware some of the games best players welcome the mode? Yet your quick to call someone a "scrub"? This mode will be available for online play by the end of the year. USFIV will get its burn so everyone learns its mechanics so that when select mode is available, players will now have a better idea how to counter with Ultra characters.

jason24cf said on March 8, 2014 at 1 a.m.

Many players welcome the idea of learning all those matchups.

jason24cf said on March 8, 2014 at 1:03 a.m.

I repeat what I said before, many of the games best who have won majors by the way, top players welcome select edition. It's not about having OP characters, it's about them wanting to have fun.

grabityfree said on March 8, 2014 at 1:16 a.m.

1-Maybe he will just use his brain , and study the match up for the most powerful versions of the character.Like who really care about AE abel or Ae sagat ?

2-I think he played the previous versions and already got an idea of the changes .Its not like we just discovers SF 4.

Smorgasboard said on March 8, 2014 at 1:25 a.m.

@spideruppercut
It's easier said than done. You can't play a super character against an AE character right now even if you can play both in the same game. That's most likely because the game was made to assume that you are playing the same edition all the time. The entire online ecosystem will have to be changed to accommodate edition select. What about the replay channel as well? It would also have to be remade from scratch to accommodate searching and categorising different editions. Leaderboards would also have to changed to show the different editions.

All these will lead to more changes, which mean a bigger update and more bugs, which mean more time required for testing and fixing, which means less time for anything else.

Let them focus on Ultra. Select edition can wait.

NoizyChild said on March 8, 2014 at 1:47 a.m.

Sounds like you lose a lot.

ChoseDeath said on March 8, 2014 at 1:59 a.m.

Hey Capcom guys, if you read this I would like to reiterate something. There are a lot of us who have basically zero offline playtime except against the computer. Limiting such a fun feature like that will take away all our enjoyment of it. I am super excited to see all the work you've done on the Ultra balancing come to fruition and I plan on exploring it fully, but for Endless? Having the edition select would be awesome! And I play Zangief and T. Hawk, so they're isn't much for me to abuse, lol. It's all for fun.

SidewayShift said on March 8, 2014 at 2:22 a.m.

I would not want them to delay the game just to add something that people will barely touch online!

I mean everytime i play online, most of the randoms i play against are way too serious anyways!

With the exception of only a few that play around..It would be fun to play with them but i want to play ultra already..

MesaDavid said on March 8, 2014 at 2:23 a.m.

God bless you Combofield T_T

SAMURAI said on March 8, 2014 at 2:23 a.m.

Dumb decision Combofiend.
There are people like myself that don't live in place where you can play offline with friends.

nullzZzleep said on March 8, 2014 at 2:44 a.m.

thx combofiend. thats the right decisionn without any question! people dont understand...

Geniuzz said on March 8, 2014 at 2:44 a.m.

I see no problem with waiting for a patch that adds this Edition Select to online somewhere down the road. Before this was announced we were looking forward to Ultra, so I don't see why it would be a problem to play Ultra first, before they add this (for online). That it starts out offline only shouldn't be a problem as a week ago we didn't even know this would be part of the update. Just a fun addition for those who play their friends offline. If any of you don't, for whatever reason, it's not Capcom's responsibility to cater to that fact. I also don't play offline very often, but I will find people to play this with me. If they add Edition Select to online, fine, but if they don't, it won't matter, since i got Ultra, 5 new charcters, new stages, new trials and stuff. To me, that is already a sweet deal. Anything on top of that, like the Edition Select, is just extra icing on the cake.

pants4ever said on March 8, 2014 at 3:01 a.m.

Eye_of_Orochi said on March 8, 2014 at 3:10 a.m.

...starting to think this mode was just a bad idea altogether. How dare Capcom try to give us anything extra. Obviously we can't handle it, just another damned if they do, damned if they don't situation for Capcom. So silly of them to get themselves into another situation where they should be getting praised but instead just have greedy "fans" wanting more than proposed.

We get 5 characters? "But I want Alex, Oro and Q!"
5 more stages? "But they are from a game I hate! I would rather not have them!!"
More themes? "I've only heard them once, but they are trash! They should have used this theme instead!"
More modes? "I'm going to whine some more just because I can!"

There is no pleasing these people, Capcom. EVER. Stop trying to appease online voices that will complain no matter what and just balance the game the way you truly knowledgeable folks know how to.

AvgDiem said on March 8, 2014 at 3:19 a.m.

I understand to keep it out of ranked and all that, but it would be cool is there was a mode for it in endless lobby

xKal said on March 8, 2014 at 3:41 a.m.

I say just make the game another hyper fighter.. the characters will just balance themselves out.

oghaggard said on March 8, 2014 at 3:42 a.m.

It's a neat mode, but honestly even if it was available in endless, I'd spend 99.9% of my time with the actual game and not this mode.

I imagine there are a lot of people like me who would rather get the game on time and not have to wait another month or two for them to work out the kinks of making this mode available in endless.

oghaggard said on March 8, 2014 at 3:43 a.m.

Uh, have you ever heard the term "competitively viable?"

Necreon said on March 8, 2014 at 4:10 a.m.

As it should be. Keep the bullsh*t away from online.

keroberus2 said on March 8, 2014 at 4:13 a.m.

I don't see there being a problem with this being on Endless Mode with a tab option in it when creating the lobby. Like we can make lobbies with Bo1/3/5s, having a swappable tab for 'enabling Edition select' with friends isn't really that big a deal.

Keeps the BS away from normal lobbies and Ranked but lets you have fun with friends anyway.

Load more comments