NorCal vs. SoCal - the rivalry continues: Filipino Champ faces Cloud805 in a first-to-15 Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 set at SCR 2014

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • March 5, 2014 at 9:10 a.m. PST

SoCal Regionals came to an amazing close a couple of days ago, and it seems that the hype matches weren't limited to only airing on the designated streams. Guard Break held a first-to-15 exhibition match between NorCal's Filipino Champ and SoCal's UGC|Cloud805.

This bout took place at the Underground Syndicate booth during the event, and featured over an hour of intense Marvel action. FChamp runs with his Magneto, Dr. Doom, Phoenix squad for this set, and Cloud805 picks Zero, Vergil, and Dante.

If you're looking for quality UMvC3 play to begin (or end) your day, be sure to hit the jump.

Tip sent in by shekeib.

Comments

BryceT said on March 5, 2014 at 9:25 a.m.

GUARDDDDDDDD BREAAAAAAAAAAAAKK

yoosterbarn said on March 5, 2014 at 9:34 a.m.

I like the cover photo for this article. It's because they both have green tits.

Tactix555 said on March 5, 2014 at 9:48 a.m.

Woooow! Sick Set. Could have gone either way!

Vothsair said on March 5, 2014 at 9:50 a.m.

Ft 15 win by 2 doesn't make sense in the least bit. It was my understanding that cloud wasn't even aware of the win by 2. Either way both played really well. But imo cloud won.

eaz105 said on March 5, 2014 at 10:02 a.m.

Come on man stop nut hugging cloud or hating on Champ. Cloud knew the rules beforehand and agreed to the rules beforehand. You said it was 'your understanding' where did u pull that from, thin air? He didn't complain after saying 'I didn't know the rules'. Stop making excuses for a man who didn't make excuses that he lost.

8Period95 said on March 5, 2014 at 10:04 a.m.

If you listen, you can hear the second commentator say Cloud agreed it to it before the match.

OmegaDarkStar said on March 5, 2014 at 10:18 a.m.

I haven't watched this yet (at work) and I most definitely don't want to breed hate for RyRa or "stick up for" Cloud, but can someone tell me why they would do win by 2 anyway? IMO that kind of defeats the initial mindset of it being a race to 15 wins. Just curious why that's a thing is all.

peace homies

eaz105 said on March 5, 2014 at 10:47 a.m.

So that there is a clear winner. Same concept is used in some sports, the most well known sport being tennis

Vothsair said on March 5, 2014 at 11:34 a.m.

I guess Cloud did agree. So he lost fair. I still think FT15 win by 2 is stupid. I have nothing against Champ and even said he played well. And you guys got your panties all twisted.

GammaChemical said on March 5, 2014 at 12:43 p.m.

Win by 2 is a smart idea in a close set like this in marvel. The reason for a long set in marvel is to see whos the better player. The better player will out pace the other player which can only be seen in a long set. So if its still about equal at the final set match then a win by 2 is ideal.

MrTimtastic said on March 5, 2014 at 1:30 p.m.

I was there. He did agree.

Paradigm said on March 5, 2014 at 2:54 p.m.

To put the debate to rest, I was right next to Cloud and it was a fair bout. Both completely agreed to the, "win by 2 rule" BEFORE the match started. It was no surprise at all to either player just maybe some of the audience members who got there late to the match.

Griever_Lionheart80 said on March 5, 2014 at 3:23 p.m.

Ft15... 15 not 17, I'm Done, those last two games meant nothing to me.. NOTHING. Cloud805 won, about, win by 2 that's so corny, the norcal special bend the rules when it suits f.champ, F that. I refuse to watch past 1:15:00

shekeib said on March 5, 2014 at 3:49 p.m.

cloud805 agreed beforehand to win by 2. Paradigm's comment right above yours proves it, he was right next to him during the match the whole time. I guess you wanted cloud to be a scumbag and quit in the middle of the set?

I really wanted cloud to win but he def wasn't cheated, just look at his expression when he gets 15, he was ready for more.

you refuse to watch past 1:15:00? You are just shorting yourself a good set cause you don't like the results.

Captainbuttocks said on March 5, 2014 at 4:24 p.m.

If both players agreed about the rules before then whats the problem?

Its like when you agree to play games with retarded comeback mechanics, things tend to take a turn last minute.

Same thing

patrikstar3 said on March 5, 2014 at 5:17 p.m.

Great set. I love that chip against DP early in the set though, hee. It's good to see Dante in action again! A GOOD anchor Dante that is. But I think we all know how scary DP is with heavy meter gainers, especially if it's FChamp's team. :P

stochastic said on March 5, 2014 at 9:19 p.m.

I think it's pretty clear that despite F.Champ's comeback at the very end (after an equally-impressive comeback by Cloud to 15), both players are on nearly equal levels. Not surprised at all with this result. Next Capcom cup needs these two plus ChrisG, Flocker & Jwong. Maybe Apologyman as well lol.

mistersnowflake said on March 6, 2014 at 9:52 a.m.

I find the first to 15 plus 2 kind of odd, in my opinion cloud won that set

FOOOLS said on March 6, 2014 at 11:25 a.m.

cj is stoned as f**k.

Gladspencer said on March 6, 2014 at 3:54 p.m.

possible said on July 10, 2014 at 5:05 p.m.

FREE vs FREE