Meaty st. HK into Ultra, tricky pogo mix ups, EX knife pressure, and more: An Ultra Street Fighter 4 highlight reel ft. Rolento

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • March 5, 2014 at 3:23 p.m. PST

One good turn certainly deserves another, and today we have another Ultra Street Fighter 4 compilation. Last time, we saw Zangief showing us how powerful his green hand can be in the upcoming update, but now let's take a look at Rolento.

Featured here are clips from numerous USF4 location test streams that were conducted over the past few months, and you'll spot a few familiar player names putting in work, including LU|Alex Valle, Infiltration, and RB.

Sick frame traps, meaty Ultra set ups, pressure using EX knife throw, and much more; there's a lot to be seen of Rolento here.

Hit the jump to witness only some of what Rolento is capable of in USF4.

Some footage from Capcom Fighters and Level|Up Live. Created and uploaded by The Beast.

Comments

OhYouDontSayThat said on March 5, 2014 at 3:31 p.m.

Rolento's the 5th character!

Hadrian said on March 5, 2014 at 3:33 p.m.

RLY looking forward to play Rolento.

sprflyspdrguy said on March 5, 2014 at 3:35 p.m.

This is going to be a problem lol.

RandomSelectMaster said on March 5, 2014 at 3:37 p.m.

Just one more week before the reveal?

GammaChemical said on March 5, 2014 at 3:39 p.m.

whens the racoon

David_I said on March 5, 2014 at 3:42 p.m.

It is just me, or Rolento seem to be the least talked-about new character out of the 4? A lot of people are praising Poison, follow by complaints on Hugo and Elena. :/

SqueakyBloom said on March 5, 2014 at 3:42 p.m.

I know it said Ultra Street Fighter, but the video and pics made me think XTEKKEN and I was about to exit the story before I did a double take...I never thought Rolento would be crazy good in Ultra, but I do feel he'll be very annoying.

sarif2soon said on March 5, 2014 at 3:45 p.m.

Day -116 combo video.

cuzzo said on March 5, 2014 at 3:53 p.m.

And then the big waiting game, 3 more months til release day for the game. At least the digital version I believe, when's the disc version to be releases??

sarif2soon said on March 5, 2014 at 3:54 p.m.

Acku, if you're reading this, I wanna ask you this: How the hell did you manage to get yourself banned?

You're like the role model for EventHubs users.

Captainbuttocks said on March 5, 2014 at 3:57 p.m.

Rolento seems to have alot of tools similar to seth. even his HK is crossup and regular. If all these characters are gonna be GDLK, why mess with seth? People should know the matchup already.

shinra358 said on March 5, 2014 at 4:10 p.m.

Of course they give him a sorry generic final fight song. Giving him his superior alpha 3 song was just too much to ask. They did so well with Hakan, Abel, Juri, and Viper's songs but they do so poorly with Elena, Poison, Hugo, and Rolento's songs. Sense, it does not makes.
dyhjdlk.uhkngkjho;khjhcvgjctkf'j'immkl;kghvytdyfclhvhghghbhkbkjkbkb!!!

TehTy said on March 5, 2014 at 4:12 p.m.

That meaty Roundhouse into ultra 2 was wonderful.

LeonHartEX said on March 5, 2014 at 4:12 p.m.

Can't wait to do Take No Prisoners on Kens spamming DP online >=D

Remondo02 said on March 5, 2014 at 4:19 p.m.

SnakeX said on March 5, 2014 at 4:34 p.m.

It's just you, Combofiend is a former Rolento player going back to the CvS2 days so he's been showing him a ton of love. Alex Valle has been showing him off as well at events, and Infiltration has taken a liking to the character to boot.

In early location tests people were even saying that Rolento might have been a bit TOO strong but that kind of talk seems to have mellowed out. He's still looking good as we can see though.

Remondo02 said on March 5, 2014 at 4:36 p.m.

SnakeX said on March 5, 2014 at 4:42 p.m.

Way too early to call that.

NoizyChild said on March 5, 2014 at 4:43 p.m.

You're aware that's the Subway theme from Final Fight Double Impact, right?

He'll most likely get his Alpha 2 theme song.

bananainsaneface said on March 5, 2014 at 4:47 p.m.

Too early to say. Remember how all the pros including Justin Wong thought Dudley was gonna be OP. Look how that turned out.

sweartobob said on March 5, 2014 at 4:49 p.m.

Dat Combofiend laugh when oni gets the ultra!

SnakeX said on March 5, 2014 at 4:53 p.m.

Yeah, a remix of his Alpha 2 theme (which itself is a remix of Final Fight's Bay Area theme) is practically guaranteed.

maxi2099 said on March 5, 2014 at 4:55 p.m.

Looks like his jumping middle punch will be focus breaker.

VulcanHades said on March 5, 2014 at 5:11 p.m.

You are all fools. AE players don't realize it yet but Infiltration's Rolento is 10 times stronger than his Akuma.

Infiltration + Rolento = you will never finish 1st at any tournament that Infiltration enters.

This is karma for hating on SFxT LOL.

Kid_Kuma said on March 5, 2014 at 5:13 p.m.

Glad to see he plays like he did in cvs2. He's back to hit and run instead of knowing only l.p. All day. Also he sends strong in movement but his damage seems to be the worst in the game even below ibukis, so I'm sure it'll balance out

RandomSelectMaster said on March 5, 2014 at 5:16 p.m.

Yeah, when it was initially announced, I saw a release date of end of this month. I hope somehow they release it sooner than the potential confirmed date, but if time will make it even better, then I can be a somewhat patient boy.

And I saw that too Cuzzo, the digital will come out first, and then they will release the disc. I want the disc version, so I might bite the bullet and get both? We will see.

shinra358 said on March 5, 2014 at 6:06 p.m.

You're aware that I acknowledged that it was a generic final fight song right.

You're also aware that 2 songs are in the video right (excluding the first 3rd strike song).

You're also aware that final fight music sucked right (compared to the competition of streets of rage).

You're also aware that alpha 2 theme in inferior to the alpha 3 theme right.

Bring it :P

If it is at all like the previous announcements, that first FF theme will be the stage theme and the 2nd FF theme will be Rolento's.

Bayfighter said on March 5, 2014 at 6:08 p.m.

With his tricky crossups and movement options, looks like Rolento's going to give my Guile some trouble... =(

BlackOnyxThunder said on March 5, 2014 at 6:08 p.m.

Yeah... that makes tons of sense.

damnat1on said on March 5, 2014 at 6:19 p.m.

urien said on March 5, 2014 at 6:38 p.m.

top tier my ass !!
weve heard several time the same things about other bottom tiers throughout sf4 lifespan,im sure he will be a gimmick like all the remaining four.
lets focus on the rest and how things gonna pans out.
im sure of one thing thoough :people will b*tch and moan whether hes bottom or top tier

The_Big_Boss said on March 5, 2014 at 6:42 p.m.

Stop

danny2times said on March 5, 2014 at 6:48 p.m.

Rolento and I will rule. That is all.

Yung said on March 5, 2014 at 7:09 p.m.

I love Final Fight, and I love the Final Fight characters (that's why I'm learning Poison when the game drops) but I don't feel the same way when it comes to Rolento. I don't know, he looks like such an easy character to use, and he looks extremely good in every game he's in.

pandaman64 said on March 5, 2014 at 7:19 p.m.

"Infiltrations's rolento is ten times stronger than his akuma"?

What are you even basing that on? He looks good with a character than no one knows the matchup yet, and in fact CANNOT yet learn the matchup.

Von_Kunlun_BOOF said on March 5, 2014 at 7:20 p.m.

When does this release? Any date confirmed yet?

Eye_of_Orochi said on March 5, 2014 at 7:48 p.m.

People only praise Poison because word is she is a strong character in Ultra. People are just ready to jump on the top tiers as usual. She used to just be repeatedly subjected to the same debate or had just got generally crapped on when she sucked in SFxT. Now everyone is her fan...it's bittersweet because I'm glad the dumb talk has died down, but only liking a character suddenly because she's top tier....typical FGC mentality.

Eye_of_Orochi said on March 5, 2014 at 8:07 p.m.

Rolento looks awesome, btw. So fitting to my style. Dat stun prowess

Hawk said on March 5, 2014 at 8:17 p.m.

I can't log into this site! the full page ad covers the login link. I had to use the developer tools to find the /accounts/login link.

Anyways, Rolento's patriot circle animation looks really bad. The poses he makes are as if he's rushing far further than he really is. You need to alter his stance to match the fact that you've reduced his forward movement. Who cares if it's not the exact pose he made in the previous games, it just looks gay as it stands. Need to tone down his flailing arms.

bagel_bytez said on March 5, 2014 at 8:32 p.m.

He looks annoying but slightly less annoying than his sfxt counterpart

MKKhanzo said on March 5, 2014 at 8:48 p.m.

This is the biggest truth. And yes, SFxT <3

RoRilla said on March 5, 2014 at 9:26 p.m.

He only looks good because people don't know how to play against him yet. he will be really tamed once people figure out his frame data and option selects to use against him.

TheStarryKnight said on March 5, 2014 at 9:49 p.m.

Rolento looks so broken, that back roll, his slides, rekkas, can combo ULTRAs from normals, are kunai, that hop on pole move, his leaping jump arc, his hit boxes/hurt boxes. I dunno, I play DeeJay and it seems that this will not allow me to play my character anymore.

ninja_philosopher said on March 5, 2014 at 11:42 p.m.

#27 shinra358
keep ur superiority/inferiority sh*t to urself. don't force it over others.

GodPride said on March 6, 2014 at 1:24 a.m.

Rolento is the only new character I'm looking forward to. Dat mobility.

spman2099 said on March 6, 2014 at 1:32 a.m.

Final Fight had top tier music. Streets of Rage was a great game, but it was largely a Final Fight copycat. You could argue that Streets of Rage had enough innovations in the gameplay to be considered the better game (though the series didn't really hit its stride until Streets of Rage 2), but there is no way the music was superior. Final Fight has some of the best tunes in a video game; great music. I hope they replace eveyone's themes with Final Fight music, that would be epic.

VulcanHades said on March 6, 2014 at 1:33 a.m.

Infiltration is one of the best players in the world but Tokido has the best and more complete Akuma.

I'm just saying Infiltration's Rolento is more complete than his Gouki. And I'm basing it on what I've seen in SFxT. You would not believe how lame he can be with Rolento. If he gets the life lead it's over and even the Wong Factor can't save Justin Wong.

Rolento's footsies and AA were godlike and could setup a wall against even the best footsie characters. He had one of the best wake up/escape options because he could escape vortexes for 1 bar with EX Mekong Delta Escape. And his okizeme game was also very strong. Fortunately we had wake up roll in SFxT but in AE you'll have to get up in place and deal with all the pogo and IA knife shenanigans.

Nevran said on March 6, 2014 at 2:58 a.m.

Rolenta ultra 1 doesn't seem to deal too much damage after ex-rekka, of course it is INCREDIBLY easy to do but the damage seem fair for it.
His pressing and mobility seem very strong (quick roll, stick stand, instant air knife) but his mid range seem very weak, I can be a fool but I honestly think that strong Ryu player or huge footsie character like Vega will eat him on mid range.
I think that his HP (or cr.HP) is actually his very strong tool that I would nerf because, if I am not mistaken, this huge stick attack is two hit and so can eat focus. I don't think he shoudl be able to have such good range coming with armor break like Adon, he has already huge mix-up possibility, an easy ultra set-up and possibly strong way to escape.

If his damage input aren't too high, I don't think he will be top tiers or overplayed. He could even be one of these champ that are good but not play because he isn't op.

It will really depend of his reversal, footsie change and especially his damage.

SidewayShift said on March 6, 2014 at 3:01 a.m.

Easily B++ tier or above, he can rush down better than cody can and have long range normals just as good as cody's.

Also that focus attack looks really good.

If the ex knives hop is airborn on the first frame, he can easily get a free combo for reading your techs, not to mention the frame advantage on block.

Only thing left for me to see is how good his throw range is.

Also these players didn't know how to block because i hardly saw any throws from rolento, letting him get away with so much stuff. Such amazing pressure though.

Littlegirl1994 said on March 6, 2014 at 3:55 a.m.

He looks much worse than sf x tekken, surely between mid/top-tier but nothing more.

Anyway, cool video "The Beast" to expose new characters :)

djm0001 said on March 6, 2014 at 8:51 a.m.

I think Rolento will be considered mid-tier only because I feel like he's a character that will require the right player to make him truly shine.

Also, I feel like his movement/moves still need some work, watching him combo into rekkas just doesn't look fluid to me, hard to describe but it just doesn't seem natural.

Sunforged_One said on March 6, 2014 at 10:30 a.m.

Rolento looks really strong.
He seems to have a good vortex game, good and even safe special moves, a very fast overhead, something like a short hop for even more semi-overheads and crossup-semi-overheads, a somehow airborne projectile, good looking hitconfirms and an ultra that is so easy to combo into like... nothing else oO

SnakeX said on March 6, 2014 at 1:59 p.m.

Hold on...so you think he's worse than he was in SFxT, where he was a mid tier character, but you think he's between mid and top tier in USF4? Does not compute. So you're saying he's BETTER than in SFxT then.

Afmbari said on March 6, 2014 at 3:21 p.m.

Rolento's pogo stick and Poison's whip thing look so awful in this game.

I remember in Alpha 2/3 Rolento's rekkas had this wind animation around them, Capcom should seriously bring that back here.

Sage_Liebert said on March 6, 2014 at 9:46 p.m.

Rolento rekkas look the same in USF4. There is no wind effect. I'm playing Alpha3 right now, just to prove you wrong. Can't go by memory dude.