Capcom thinking about making Edition Select in Ultra Street Fighter 4 available for online players - PS4 version hints

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • March 5, 2014 at 7:47 p.m. PST

Capcom revealed that Ultra Street Fighter 4 would have an Edition Select option the other day, but that this mode would be offline only.

Yoshinori Ono recently stepped in to say that the company is thinking about making this mode selectable online, and as such, we've setup a poll to gauge user interest in making this happen.

Ono also spoke about a potential release of USF4 on the PlayStation 4, and hinted at future test plans for the 5th character. These latter tweets were all written in Ono's rather special way, so it's a little difficult to figure out exactly what he meant, but you can find everything after the jump, including our poll.

DvN Wa1rior: Edition Select needs at least a Endless Online Lobby Option to give more options.

Yoshinori Ono: Unfortunately, we don't have it. However we'll think about it.

KO Alliance UAE FGC: Ono-san, since the 5th character reveal is at Final Round, will there be time to balance her before USF4's arcade release in Japan in April?

Ono: I'd like to make equally on global... Please wait, next news. ;D

MavFan: You show the PS4 controller a lot with Street Fighter. Please make the announcement of PS4 Ultra Street Fighter 4 right now on Twitter.

Ono: Hahaha, you had good memory! ;P however nothing that I remember ;P

Carey St.Hilaire: Will there be USF4 for PS4?

Ono: Many people looking for release it? Then, I'll be planning for it...

Would you like to see an online option for Edition Select in Ultra Street Fighter 4?

1. Yes. An online Endless Lobby option for Edition Select would be good.: 1027 votes / 86.8%
2. No. The mode should be offline only.: 156 votes / 13.2%

Total votes: 1,183

Voting has closed

Tweets from Yoshinori Ono's Twitter account. Submitted by SS.

Comments

TehTy said on March 5, 2014 at 7:51 p.m.

There's no harm in making it an option in endless. It sounds kind of fun.

Igydigital said on March 5, 2014 at 7:53 p.m.

Like I mentioned to combofiend like they had a soul caliber on the PlayStation three. So caliber had a special custom edition and a regular ranked online. So it's simple make everybody happy have regular online ranked and regular endless and also have and this special edition Endless but I also say have a special edition select online rank these options can only add life and value to the game and people cannot be upset because you can have the standard for tournaments and also the fun dream matchup side turning us as well. You can't go wrong.

hozukimaru said on March 5, 2014 at 7:54 p.m.

In ranked no! in endless lobby...hell yeahs

SunaharaRaja said on March 5, 2014 at 7:55 p.m.

why would anyone vote against an extra option for online mode? c´mom guys

HyperGadoken said on March 5, 2014 at 7:55 p.m.

It'd be a great option for Unranked matches. Perhaps we will see some Saltybets or After Hour tournaments using Edition Select.

GiBGUN said on March 5, 2014 at 7:56 p.m.

There will be a filter for yes or no, just like there are search options for no. of rounds so yeah, fine if you ask me

GodotLaserFace said on March 5, 2014 at 7:57 p.m.

This is a no brainer, they need to make an online option for Edition Select. Unfortunately I won't be able to enjoy this feature as much as I'd like to since I have nobody to play this with aside from a few friends that I rarely meet up with and don't play fighters seriously.

LordProsper said on March 5, 2014 at 7:59 p.m.

Yes, please. The only person I see myself playing this mode with lives on the other side of the damn country, so this is the only way I'd even use it.

JIHADJOE said on March 5, 2014 at 8:02 p.m.

I wouldn't mind if they made a separate ladder for it. So we can find out once and for all who's the King (or Queen) of SF4.

BlackOnyxThunder said on March 5, 2014 at 8:03 p.m.

I somehow "magically" feel pleased that an option select "might" be happening in Ultra Street Fighter 4. Weird... because last time I checked it seemed like a no-brainer to add it into endless.

ThinkJurgen said on March 5, 2014 at 8:03 p.m.

I'm surprised this isn't already an option. In my opinion, it wouldn't pull away too much from the main game, nor would it be a waist of time to create it.

yes4me said on March 5, 2014 at 8:04 p.m.

What would be the point to develop a feature that can be play only at home and most likely alone? But then, I don't get what is the point of balancing the game and working on this.

perfume said on March 5, 2014 at 8:05 p.m.

Ahgama said on March 5, 2014 at 8:06 p.m.

I think split player base and not enough people playing Ultra (the competitively relevant one), is a legit concern. Finding green bar matches is hard enough already on 2012. I'd like to see it available online in the future through a patch but for now i think it's better for everyone to be on the same page with Ultra.

logitech2059 said on March 5, 2014 at 8:07 p.m.

Why would anybody not want this?? Not everyone has friends to play with at home. Just keep this as an endless option and away from ranked match and it will be an awesome feature!

two2tone said on March 5, 2014 at 8:08 p.m.

People needs to quit b#tching about o.sagat... when was the last time o.sagat won Amy major?

HooliganComboFTW said on March 5, 2014 at 8:10 p.m.

Mode will be as popular as team battles either way.

Yung said on March 5, 2014 at 8:10 p.m.

If it's Endless, there's no problem. But there should be an option when making the lobby, like, "do you want to enable Edition Select ?".

logitech2059 said on March 5, 2014 at 8:12 p.m.

Capcom need to bring this on the ps4. Ps4 has sold 6 millions consoles right now and it doesn't have much games especially a fighting game. This will help make casuals purchase USF4 since ps4 is the "must thing to have" right now.

spotlesseden said on March 5, 2014 at 8:13 p.m.

just have option Edition Select -- yes or no.

and have ranking for Ultra and Edition Select, so we know who are the stronger characters.

guille_n_roll said on March 5, 2014 at 8:14 p.m.

you need to bring back survival mode and dramatic battle mode, and team battle in offline mode too!

Mr2Good said on March 5, 2014 at 8:15 p.m.

So you have to win a major to be a overpowered? K

Anyways, I don't see why this mode wouldn't be online. I was really surprised when they said it wasn't at first. Thought it was a no-brainer.

SnakeX said on March 5, 2014 at 8:15 p.m.

As it has been repeated numerous times already, as long as it's not for Ranked then I'm all for having it available for online play.

Mr_Pyro said on March 5, 2014 at 8:15 p.m.

I say make this a certain available filter/mode for Endless. If anyone gets salty over a Vanilla Sagat in a lobby, he can get kicked out. It's kind of a pointless concern since Edition Select shouldn't be taken very seriously anyway.

A split community doesn't sound likely unless they made it available in Ranked. I highly object to it being a Ranked feature. I do, however, understand concerns from those who just want to play USFIV versions on Endless. All I can say is that we should not presume. Who knows? Edition Select could be the less popular, or the more popular option. We don't have any true stats, so time will have to tell.

For the record: I want this mode just for pure fun. I'd still play Ranked provided it's only USFIV-based. I'm fine with Ultra Bison (for now) and Ultra Gouken. I just wanna play old versions of characters with friends online, laugh at Sagat's stupid damage, etc. There's no harm in having a simple, fun time.

Shingekidre said on March 5, 2014 at 8:16 p.m.

Sorry I dont like the version change idea because there will be no reason not to play vanilla akuma,sagat, ryu, seth, or ae yun, yang. Is going to be boring imo. Why would you make new changes to characters if you put their old better self in the game? Like hey daigo u want to play usf4 ryu? No ill take 600 points of unscaled damage with anti air dp. Come on capcom I know u want to appeal to us but, this is dumb.

Myke_with_a_Y said on March 5, 2014 at 8:16 p.m.

I main Cody, so I'll barely ever use this feature. But I still voted Yes and tweeted Ono.

ArturoA9790 said on March 5, 2014 at 8:16 p.m.

DON'T THINK ABOUT MAKING IT ONLINE, JUST DO IT!!!! Ranked and endless but you can make it it's own thing seperate from normal ranked and endless.

And for the people who voted offline only... Ya'll the type of dudes to go to Disneyworld just to pop the kids balloons.

CJM311 said on March 5, 2014 at 8:22 p.m.

Hecks yeah it would be!! Bring that option on!

FameDouglas said on March 5, 2014 at 8:24 p.m.

As long as it's only for Endless Battle mode and not Ranked matches, I'm down like four flat tires! Also, make sure to add an Online Training Mode option for lobbies or just make it a third Online Mode option in itself(Ranked/Endless/Training).
That way we can actually practice matchups and breakdown common auto-pilot flowchart patterns without having to restart a match over again which would kill the groove of the practice session!

spotlesseden said on March 5, 2014 at 8:25 p.m.

Some people don't even want to have that option available offline. What are those people? Those people don't know what's optional mean. they don't go to Disney world, so they hope Disney world shouldn't exist?

Makbaz said on March 5, 2014 at 8:26 p.m.

just make it an option/filter when you search or create a lobby, similar to the option of ssf4 and AE

Smorgasboard said on March 5, 2014 at 8:28 p.m.

Seriously, when Ono says that they will think about it, that means they are not going to do it.

As many has pointed out, everyone wants more options.

But would people want this to work online over other things like earlier release date, better balance, more costumes, better polish on new characters, less bugs, that online practice and etc?

It's probably not as easy to make this work online as people think. The whole online ecosystem has to be changed to accommodate it.

RandomSelectMaster said on March 5, 2014 at 8:29 p.m.

No harm in it at all. If they can include having lobby options such as a title (Ultra version only ect.) or even better be able to turn off this option in custom lobbies, then... wow... more added replay value. Do it!!!

Andrew said on March 5, 2014 at 8:29 p.m.

If they're going to do a PS4 version I sure hope that the Xbox One will get it too.

doublef said on March 5, 2014 at 8:30 p.m.

Ok, who were the a**holes who voted no?

It's not going to split the player base. Casual players either won't know or won't care, and hardcore players will still primarily play USF4 because it's tourney standard. So there's no harm in adding in the edition select as an option for Endless.

The results of this poll should be 100% YES.

bagel_bytez said on March 5, 2014 at 8:30 p.m.

Without an online component my interest is sub par. I definitely think it's a cool feature and if there was some ranked I my dabble in it. As an aspiring tourny champ I want to be most fluent in the most relevant iteration

DevilMaySpy said on March 5, 2014 at 8:33 p.m.

3 years ago we dreamt about AE Yun vs. Vanilla Sagat. Lets make this a reality.

tktktk43 said on March 5, 2014 at 8:33 p.m.

Well considering tournaments may not adopt this, if it can't be used online than it's pretty much useless like Hero and Heralds from umvc3.

dukemagus said on March 5, 2014 at 8:34 p.m.

if it doesn't screws the rankings and both players MUST confirm the option before the match, i don't see why not

TrueGamingGuru said on March 5, 2014 at 8:41 p.m.

Well at least they're considering of changing their minds.

But to be quite honest I don't think the Edition mode should be just Endless Lobby, it should be on all Online Modes (gameplay related) such as Ranked, Player Matches, Team Matches etc.

A filter option should at least be implemented, so for Ranked Matches players don't have to fight against Edition Mode players if they don't want to. (plus other modes) Because it would add more options without having the need to join other lobbies, and would just give you a match from the very start. (mostly for people that don't have much friends, ones that are very anti-social, or ones that doesn't want to meet random people)

D2Or said on March 5, 2014 at 8:42 p.m.

As long as the endless matches are indicated as "Edition Select" lobbies before joining, then I'm all for it. I wouldn't want to join a random endless lobby blindly.

ArturoA9790 said on March 5, 2014 at 8:42 p.m.

People who don't want this mode are wack and don't know what fun is. The only people who are against this idea are either new to SF and don't know the differences, or are afraid of having to actually play to win. ULTRA will have a tier list and bad matchups. Period. Maybe more then 2012 or less, but it will still be there enough to be noticeable. If people are honestly afraid to fight a vanilla Sagat or AE Yun they need to just quit playing fighting games cuz there perfect vision of ultimate balance will never exist.

The_Big_Boss said on March 5, 2014 at 8:44 p.m.

As long as it is endless I don't really care.

fighto2000 said on March 5, 2014 at 8:49 p.m.

Should be added for online play, if not there no reason to have it in the first place. Also at tournament I hope they let player use edition select that would be awesome to watch, will bring more hype and enjoyment.

teufelsdroch said on March 5, 2014 at 8:51 p.m.

...keep these poll results (85/15) in mind next you plan to speak in public.

--no matter who you are, no matter how right you are, 10% of the audience will think you're a jackass. That number will go *up* as you express your clear, correct idea more clearly and more correctly.

The moral? F*** 'em.

darko_p86 said on March 5, 2014 at 8:56 p.m.

Just your first sentence alone is reason enough not to read the rest of your comment, let alone formulate a valid opinion on everything else you may have said. It makes you look very stupid.

I voted no. I dont see the fun in tierwars. Why dont capcom just add a one-hit kill button for you while you're at it. Plus, I'd rather not have to fight sagats or yuns 95% of the time.

SSJ3X said on March 5, 2014 at 8:56 p.m.

You could make endless and have two Rank modes, an "Edition" mode and an "Ultra" rank system, just to see where things go in terms of the point system. Obviously tournaments are probably going to just use Ultra as a permanent basis, but this would be entertaining.

akillyz said on March 5, 2014 at 9:04 p.m.

Thank god, they've actually listened.

EDIT: To state my opinion on how ES should be handled, it should be able to be toggled on/off in endless and have it's own separate ranked battle system. Just my two cents.

AugustAPC said on March 5, 2014 at 9:06 p.m.

It should be optional for endless lobbies.

Chi_Shinobi said on March 5, 2014 at 9:06 p.m.

There would be a reason to play the USF4 version. Red Focus and DWU among other thigs. USF4 Yang got a cancelable far st mp. You never know till it's out. O Sagat might get his ass beat.

Villest1 said on March 5, 2014 at 9:13 p.m.

Maybe because it would further fragment the online community?

RedRapperSux said on March 5, 2014 at 9:23 p.m.

Nobody asked for this. Bring back Championship mode!

Quakeulf said on March 5, 2014 at 9:23 p.m.

If you vote against this maybe you are playing the wrong game.

Sadisticcupid said on March 5, 2014 at 9:29 p.m.

every viper player should vote yes because we can actually have reversals now.

Strider_Hien said on March 5, 2014 at 9:43 p.m.

Come on,guys...Do it for Endless.We don't want another "Heroes and Heralds" missed opportunity.It will be more attractive for many players.Casual and Hardcore....Fun times to be had! :D

SpiderUppercut said on March 5, 2014 at 9:43 p.m.

Like I've been saying, there is no harm in having 2 separate Ranked and an Endless lobby selectable with a filter.

This is what happens with Super and AE 2012 right now.

Its cost effective to utilize the existing infrastructure and wont split the player base if it works the same way it does now.

Ultra SF4 purists won't be interrupted and neither with those looking to play "ALL" edition.

Thanks Capcom and Ono-san. :)

EnsignHiro said on March 5, 2014 at 9:46 p.m.

Capcom if you dont put if for at least endless then you guys are officially the most brain dead company. Mad people want to play it online regardless of tournies but you guys said offline only? Wtf not every player travels :(.

EnsignHiro said on March 5, 2014 at 9:47 p.m.

I here ya man im tired of being mashed at

Eye_of_Orochi said on March 5, 2014 at 9:54 p.m.

This is a good idea, tier whores would have a home! Hopefully, they would stay there.

tsgrimey said on March 5, 2014 at 10 p.m.

Make the Edition option available for online, but also allow lobby creators choose to either set only to USF4, or All. Simple.

Ninjanuity said on March 5, 2014 at 10:05 p.m.

Did you also take into account the mode is completely optional and you don't have to touch it at all if you don't want to?

You're also assuming the majority of people who are for the mode actually care about tier-wars and just want to play AE Yun or Vanilla Sagat, rather than you know, being able to play with their favorite version of their main character.

Wa1rior said on March 5, 2014 at 10:05 p.m.

I was very happy that Ono is at lease thinking of putting Edition Select Online :)

soggytoast said on March 5, 2014 at 10:09 p.m.

If it's not online, it might as well not even exist.

ridgezero said on March 5, 2014 at 10:14 p.m.

yes make it online

ShiroKuma said on March 5, 2014 at 10:15 p.m.

Even though I'll rarely use it and don't want the online pool to be split, it'd be really imposing of me to say "Don't make the option available outright." Hopefully there is some compromise like enabling it for non-ranked only (it's already hard to find unraked matches anyway, everyone seems to be playing ranked these days).

bagel_bytez said on March 5, 2014 at 10:17 p.m.

It's gonna be a pain in the ass to try and find frame data for each game...

SpiderUppercut said on March 5, 2014 at 10:19 p.m.

You've had one for the last 2 years with Cammy.

Far longer than the devoted players who jumped into SF4 at Day 1 stage.

If anyone is a tier whore, its those who crawled through the woodwork and started playing post Super SF4.

Now your free lunch is over.

Sage_Liebert said on March 5, 2014 at 10:21 p.m.

Have you forgotten the type of things that people complain about these days? Capcom probably wanted to see the peoples response first.

ryuhayabusa13 said on March 5, 2014 at 10:22 p.m.

If usf4 comes out on ps4 , then thinking of canceling preorder for ps4 version...

Sasuga said on March 5, 2014 at 10:22 p.m.

No brainer.

ANGRY_SCAR said on March 5, 2014 at 10:25 p.m.

There should be a separate rank system and leader board for Edition Select mode.

neogeo_city said on March 5, 2014 at 10:28 p.m.

can we have poll for more stages? and new looks for the game?

Eye_of_Orochi said on March 5, 2014 at 10:28 p.m.

There is a difference between a tier whore and someone who uses a character every game they are in no matter how good or bad they are.

Also, I use T. Hawk, arguably the worst character in the game, 95% of the time with my favorite as a secondary for salty runbacks. My lunch is far from free, sir.

That third slot goes to the character I'm dabbling in for new main potential, it was Sakura like 6 months ago, now it is E. Honda. #Need2update

oghaggard said on March 5, 2014 at 10:30 p.m.

I'm fine with this. I'd like to mess around with some friends online, even if 99% of my time will be in ranked with the proper game.

Vasculio said on March 5, 2014 at 10:44 p.m.

I'm 100% with the online option. But with controlled settings so you can have your pure USF4 matches as well as mixups

Jayson619 said on March 5, 2014 at 10:47 p.m.

Dumb question! Answer is YES!!!!!

Dun ask, Capcom....DO IT!!!!!

FightDirty said on March 5, 2014 at 10:57 p.m.

Yes, there should definitely be an option for edition select online, just not in ranked.

I think everyone knows that Capcom has been looking at bringing USF4 to the PS4 the minute they announced it. Might as well do it. If it has much improved graphics and extra features I might have a reason to buy a PS4.

Al_Pachino said on March 5, 2014 at 10:59 p.m.

I want to make it legal in tournaments and online. It would be great if HSF2 back, IMHO.

HokutoShitKen said on March 5, 2014 at 11 p.m.

YES! Make it an option for online fights! Not in Ranked, but in Endless. Great idea.

TheTHCGamer said on March 5, 2014 at 11:05 p.m.

Make sure if your going to release a PS4 version CAPCOM that it's not a PS3 port but an improved version.

Chi_Shinobi said on March 5, 2014 at 11:16 p.m.

I use Evil Ryu, Dudley, and Yang. The best version of my characters are in USF4. I wanna fight Vanilla Sagat and AE Yun I never owned any SF4 till AE, but I always played at a friends house and he only uses Ryu. I tried Yun when he came out and still couldn't beat my friend. Now im alot better and I wanna fight all the OP characters. Play with a few too. I wanna style with Vanilla Ryu. I don't give a damn about easy wins I play for fun. Edition Select sounds like a whole lotta fun.

Adadadadadadam said on March 5, 2014 at 11:16 p.m.

I assumed it would be online anyway, why wouldn't it be as most people play online? Weird..... And who the f*** said no ?!?!

Kaneco said on March 5, 2014 at 11:30 p.m.

No brainer!

Make it available for 'unranked' online modes as a filter option when making lobbies/rooms!

As well as making most tournaments 'Ultra' mode oriented to appease the FG purists and to take the advantage of the new well-thought out balance changes.

I'm definitely on board with this! It should add to the fun factor when playing with friends over the net, when your free-time/life is crippled by a busy-schedule/work/school and can't even get physically/locally together with your friends.

Otherwise....what's the point of even adding this mode, if you can't really play it with anyone?!

llSilkCutll said on March 5, 2014 at 11:50 p.m.

Gotta be in Endless, ranked is just a grind anyway. All the best matches in Endless!

colossus said on March 6, 2014 at 12:08 a.m.

This is an absolutely pointless feature. This is just for fun and people whio play just for fun spend like a couple of weeks in throwing FB-s, playing story mode etc and we talk about a 6 years old game here.

No serious player will waste time with this being not a tournament standard. SO, they'd better spend time and resources or something else like a better net code, balance or something else. If they implement this online this will be at the expense of something else.

That's why whoever votes "Yes" has no brain and not the ones who vote "No". Just mentioning.

nosloandy said on March 6, 2014 at 12:15 a.m.

If it comes out on PS4 and doesn't include crossplay, then as a PS3 user still, I'll be pissed. Don't break up the player base at yet another level. You already have 360, PS3, and PC separated for AE2012, don't make it 360, PS3, PC, Xbox One, and PS4. That's edging on being ridiculous.

Sasuga said on March 6, 2014 at 12:22 a.m.

Having fun is pointless? I think this will be played a lot and there may be tournaments in this format, who knows.

Check895 said on March 6, 2014 at 12:22 a.m.

Now USF4 is gonna be hype if Edition Select makes the cut to the Online world \o/.
I'd like to see a USF4 Ladder/Endless and an Edition Select Ladder/Endless.

Play the game you want. Both are gonna be Fun.

I'd like to see a KoF like team battle for USF4 as well :o.

BAP04 said on March 6, 2014 at 12:28 a.m.

Your life sounds like it sucks. What's wrong with playing just for fun? Even though I practice Street Fighter and take it seriously doesn't mean me and my friends can't mess around in endless once in a while. It's not pointless, it's just not for you and it wouldn't even affect someone as serious as yourself.

SonicfanQ said on March 6, 2014 at 12:29 a.m.

I dont want the online pool to be split between Version select and ultra and I hope capcom keeps it the way it is offline only! Im looking forward to spending lots of time exploring Ultra changes with new mechanics and I want nothing to do with version select plus it does not help me at all being a gouken main(all his past versions get worse). I do NOT want to fight vanilla akuma, vanilla sagat ae yun super rose(ultra 2) and all the other unbalanced characters why would I want to subject myself to that mess. I want to have fun with ULTRA!

Gosh why can't they just bring back championship mode or think of some other clever online mode.

GammaChemical said on March 6, 2014 at 12:30 a.m.

PS4 and Vita will have guest characters. Heard it here first folks.

SonicfanQ said on March 6, 2014 at 12:30 a.m.

I agree with you 100%

Adadadadadadam said on March 6, 2014 at 12:31 a.m.

You are one miserable shmuck, it's a great idea for some non-serious sessions and will be interesting to find out what crazy tech - match ups are possible.

Go get laid (or pay for it)

SonicfanQ said on March 6, 2014 at 12:35 a.m.

I agree but capcom wants to make money so they will release it on ps4 with no regards to spliting the online community.

Check895 said on March 6, 2014 at 12:41 a.m.

Sometimes people tend to forget it's a MODE or an OPTION, not the MAIN game. You can enjoy USF4 and Ultra changes without even playing once Edition Select.
I don't know why it should be offline only, if it's an option, people will be able to play the game the way they want. Don't we want both to enjoy the game ?

TaurusMAGNUS said on March 6, 2014 at 12:52 a.m.

I hope they bring it to both new systems.

GodPride said on March 6, 2014 at 12:55 a.m.

Judging by the poll results, Edition Select will have the significant player pool. Hopefully, Ultra Vega has the tools to compete with those top tier characters.

Imonk036 said on March 6, 2014 at 12:58 a.m.

As long as it is not in Ranked matches, I'm cool with it.

yoosterbarn said on March 6, 2014 at 1:10 a.m.

I think it should in no way be in Ranked even in a separate ranking. I do however think having it in Private Matches or an Endless Lobby would be awesome. Also maybe give people an ability to vote for or against Edition Selection every few rounds. I mean with the comments for matches would it be that hard to have a voting system?

Just my thought.

Nayte said on March 6, 2014 at 1:21 a.m.

As long as it's an OPTION un LOBBY mode, and never something for RANKED, I can only vote yes for this. Who can do more can do less.

Load more comments