Another King of Fighters title in the works? SNK files a new trademark for 'KOF'

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • June 30, 2014 at 9:06 p.m. PDT

Earlier this month, SNK Playmore filed a new trade mark for "KOF" with the Japanese Patent and Trademark office. A recent tweet sent out by the Trademark Bot Twitter account shows that this particular trademark was filed under three different classes: 9 (video games), 28 (accessories and parts for video game machines) and 41 (online games).

According to Dual Shockers, SNK currently has another KOF trademark that's expiration date won't roll around until some time in 2018. Considering this information, it is safe to assume that this new trademark is not simply a renewal of the aforementioned one, and is more than likely a brand new title in the works.

In recent times, many of the trademarks we've seen filed by various gaming companies have come to fruition, including titles like SNK's own The Rhythm of Fighters mobile game and Namco Bandai's Soul Calibur: Lost Swords.

It has been almost three years since King of Fighters 13's release, and with so many other fighting games hitting the market this year, it may be a good time for SNK to get back in the game. Still, what this trademark actually means is yet to be determined.

Would you like to see a new King of Fighters title on consoles? Let us know in the comments below.

Source: Dual Shockers. Submitted by GakoTheChef and ShinzoBishamon.

Comments

CrazyC0mb0 said on June 30, 2014 at 9:08 p.m.

SNK playmore doing the Iori laugh

LightSpdAeon said on June 30, 2014 at 9:10 p.m.

Nice. Played KOF13 earlier, but the online is guttertrash. If this comes out, i hope for Kevin Rian to be playable. Whip as well.

Yung said on June 30, 2014 at 9:10 p.m.

Get hyped for KoF's new Pachinko machine.

rakuko said on June 30, 2014 at 9:12 p.m.
KCereal said on June 30, 2014 at 9:12 p.m.

C'mon guys, the jokes over. They're barely living off of anything right now.

YoraiDragon said on June 30, 2014 at 9:13 p.m.

I hope Hotaru from Mark Of The Wolves is in it!!!! =D

jme said on June 30, 2014 at 9:15 p.m.

C'mon eventhubs that's 2 rumors/speculation you guys posted don't try to give these guys hope.

Ranshi said on June 30, 2014 at 9:19 p.m.

Bring back Oswald!

Burnt said on June 30, 2014 at 9:21 p.m.

So many speculations

Alpharyu said on June 30, 2014 at 9:22 p.m.

KOF...................StepMania Edition

Izanagidonutz said on June 30, 2014 at 9:22 p.m.

I cri every time. ; _ ;

Codech64 said on June 30, 2014 at 9:23 p.m.

Ps3 KOF 13 was decent for me I played ALOT of that game and yeah I noticed lag but it was minimal and it was great for me...my team was Athena,Yuri and Takuma and It's fun to play.

erkicman said on June 30, 2014 at 9:29 p.m.

At worst, it'll be a Pachinko machine. At best, it'll be a mobile game.

Redblaze27 said on June 30, 2014 at 9:41 p.m.

I want more KOF on Steam.

Daniel_Hiruma said on June 30, 2014 at 9:43 p.m.

Yeahh I really like playing a new KOF, KOF XIII is the best Game Fighting.

HooliganComboFTW said on June 30, 2014 at 9:49 p.m.

Inb4 KoF dating sim

tommills83 said on June 30, 2014 at 9:49 p.m.

Did anyone else have this problem in KOF13 on PS3:
1.Try to find an online opponent in Ranked Match (or whatever it's called).
2.You get matched with someone with a bad connection.
3.Not wanting to play with lag, you try to back out.
4.You realize YOU CAN'T QUIT once the opponent has been chosen and are forced to play the whole match with lag.
(Also, you can't quit mid-match without exiting the game itself, disconnecting the net cable, or turning off the console.)

I saw that a later update "addressed" some of the online issues, but did they ever fix this? (I was so pissed off after this, I never even went back to try it.)
Was this even really an issue in the first place, or am I being stupid?

Xx_Sir_kyo_xX said on June 30, 2014 at 9:50 p.m.

i hope is kof 14

YorKeY said on June 30, 2014 at 10:07 p.m.

This could save me from that trash that i'm "forced" (don't ask how i'm forced, it should be obvious, and don't ask why it's obvious) Ultra street fighter 4, and Capcom fighters in general.
Despite being a half finished game, having a mountain of bugs, worsened netcode, and missing trials, people STILL come back for more Ultra... Sigh* That's the world we live in today.

But thanks to all of the BS capcom has put me through, not sure if i should get my hopes up for ANY rumored fighting game anymore, until i know it's coming for sure, and maybe even until i play it for a week. Trailers mean nothing to me now when it comes to the fighting game genre.

ArcadeRobot said on June 30, 2014 at 10:25 p.m.

KOF x SF

xShonuffx said on June 30, 2014 at 10:32 p.m.

BRING BACK THOSE AWESOME INTRO AND OUTROS. Those were like the best parts of KOF!

Carnoustie said on June 30, 2014 at 10:55 p.m.

A new KoF game would be fine. The Ash arc just ended, so most ideally, it'll be a dream-match game with the same system mechanics of 13 but many more characters adapted to it. I wouldn't say no to a smaller cast, 3d models kind of game, though, if it would at least draw attention to the series.

Galletano said on June 30, 2014 at 10:56 p.m.

I love this series a new game is always welcome.

PurplePonyJotaro said on June 30, 2014 at 10:56 p.m.
PurplePonyJotaro said on June 30, 2014 at 10:57 p.m.

Well all do.

RenyNoise said on June 30, 2014 at 11:01 p.m.

I'd much rather a Mark of Wolves 2.... but this will most definitely be in 3D, if they take the expensive 2D route again, I'll be surprised.

David_Navarro said on June 30, 2014 at 11:13 p.m.

KOF is such an amazing game, lag was terrible but who can deny that the mechanics were amazing??

The main problem is that it is an extremely difficult game.....godlike execution needed......that is why so many people gave up.....

Frosty4024 said on June 30, 2014 at 11:32 p.m.

I loved KOF 13....

Problem was....there's no scene remotely near me and online was horrendous...Had no choice but to give it up....If they SOMEHOW remotely fix the netcode...Then I'm all for this upcoming KOF...

BigFleccs said on June 30, 2014 at 11:33 p.m.

Not buying another laggy fighter!

NightmareSnake2 said on July 1, 2014 at 12:11 a.m.

If they bring back Momoko, then they can make whatever they want.

COREY_1993 said on July 1, 2014 at 12:17 a.m.

this game is ridiculously hard... there are motions that just seem unnecessary with added directions like QCB.DB.F like why have the DB direction there? just makes it too hard :'(

please fix the online play and ill probably buy it day one hahahaha.

ZDH513 said on July 1, 2014 at 12:28 a.m.

Considering that i just started playing KOF 13 again and the game is still way more fun than SF i want this to be the next KOF so i can have an active community, cause online is ehh and mostly filled with killers all lvl 73 and above

mustain21 said on July 1, 2014 at 12:31 a.m.

KOF condoms.

tihssisbuhtneve said on July 1, 2014 at 1:24 a.m.

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 1, 2014 at 1:44 a.m.

Get the steam version guys. Stop playing it on console. The netcode on the PC version is FAR superior to the console version. I'd rate it better than SF4:AE on PC before steam integration.

It's definitely better than the current monster known as Ultra. That game is about as bad as Kof on console, if not worse.

XxAngelChunLixX said on July 1, 2014 at 2:10 a.m.

Of course I wish it were a new KOF fighting game. Just like of course it most likely won't be. I however, am more focused on the portrait used to present the article. That CvS portrait is bringing too many feels.... T~T

ChristianDMG said on July 1, 2014 at 3:31 a.m.

this news gave me orgasm

JiCi said on July 1, 2014 at 4:56 a.m.

Honestly: KOF 14
- Keep it with 2D sprites; it's already there to be used and it would be more advantageous to just add characters instead of remakeing the entire roster in 3D

- More characters; make those "out" of the story unlockable, as some characters are dead, but add a bunch of returning ones, like have a team with Vanessa, Ramon and Seth, all who were in cutscenes in KOF 13. Have a team with Billy Kane (now a regular), Yamazaki and Blue Mary now. Replace Kula with Whip, now teamed with K' and Maxima, but have Kula fight ALONGSIDE Foxy and Diana, adding.. huh... one returning and one new character. Add Rock, Gato and Tizoc, add Malin, Eiji and Lee Pai Long, add Xiangfei, Hinako and Hotaru... I could go on and on.

- New stages; again, keep the KOF 12-13 ones and simply add new ones

- LESS DLC; Ok, seriously, unless you're offering a team of 3 characters at a reasonable price, just skip it.

- Voice acting; ok, hear me out on this one. I don't care if it's in Japanese or in English, but SNK, just do me a huge favor and DON'T make the story mode mute! It got tedious very quickly. Dialogues should be spoken, come on now. At best, make it dual audio.

- Better online: speaks for itself

- 1-vs-1 mode; yeah, 3-vs-3 has become the norm, but having a traditional 1-vs-1 mode wouldn't hurt.

Koko64 said on July 1, 2014 at 7:16 a.m.

your avatar pic gave me an orgasm

genocide_cutter said on July 1, 2014 at 7:19 a.m.

Snk Playmore are pretty much done with making games so this will be another pachinko game

fabfred said on July 1, 2014 at 7:27 a.m.

bring back CHANG AND CHOI nuff said.

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 1, 2014 at 7:36 a.m.

They're very likely to do the game in 3d because of the speed and time, plus the appeal to mainstream. I prefer 2d overall.

My guess it will be a dream game, and redoing all of those new characters hand drawn will be time consuming and expensive.

Memanruler said on July 1, 2014 at 7:36 a.m.

No Gato No Dinero.

Kappa, I'd buy the game just for another updated version of Tame a Bad Boy.

fabfred said on July 1, 2014 at 7:39 a.m.

thats the song right there i downloaded it awhile back.

Simeon said on July 1, 2014 at 7:51 a.m.

It's got to be a new fighting game. They take their time to make top quality fighting games, 2018 doesn't surprise me. I'd be surprised if it wasn't a sprite game though, a 3D game is quicker to make.

shinra358 said on July 1, 2014 at 8:08 a.m.

As long as Yuri doesn't look like Mars People anymore :P
Hope Mukai comes back. Best KoF villian since Rugal.

MuJoNeS said on July 1, 2014 at 8:58 a.m.

#5 --> Dude! AEWSOME, Thanks! :D

DeezeeKujaku said on July 1, 2014 at 9:05 a.m.

As long as they bring back the New Face/Orochi team then I'm sold. Even though I'm sure they'll pull some bull and make the Orochi versions DLC.

ShinzoBishamon said on July 1, 2014 at 10:04 a.m.

KOFXIII has a 1v1 mode already

JiCi said on July 1, 2014 at 10:18 a.m.

That's relative: is it faster to just add 2D sprites or to remake the entire roster in 3D models?

KOF XIII add 14 new characters: Mai, Yuri, King, Vice, Takuma, Hwa, K', Maxima, Kula, Saiki, Billy, Mr. Karate, NESTS Kyo and Flame Iori.

They could add yet another 15 characters to the already established KOF XIII roster.

Yeah, sure, they can remake it using 3D models, but I feel like they'll once again screw it up... unless it has like 36 characters on its first version. I dunno if they can take the Maximum Impact models, retweak them and use them instead of starting from scratch.

Dimensional said on July 1, 2014 at 10:19 a.m.

Im gonna wait and see im not expecting it to be KOFXIV that would be to good. If they do make it KOFXIV just add more characters keep the gorgeous 2D sprites from KOFXIII and I will get it straight away. I hope they make a game with Vanessa in it again.

sweetmonkeylove said on July 1, 2014 at 11:41 a.m.

PLEASE HOLY MOTHER OF FIGHTING GAMES AND GOODNESS IN GENERAL, PLEASE BRING KOF14 to next gen consoles Xmas this year.

ZenTzen said on July 1, 2014 at 1:22 p.m.

Another one, a new KOF is all well and good, but i'd rather they focus on their other IPs

wheres Garou Mark of the Wolves 2, a new Last Blade

ThaBigDaddyCMaster said on July 1, 2014 at 2:58 p.m.

3d models are far quicker. Many of those characters that were added in 13 were partially done. Each character takes months to do by hand (roughly 3 if I'm not mistaken) so adding a bunch of new characters would be very expensive and time consuming, as much as I like the 2d sprites.

I'm not sure if it will be a dream match, but if it is 3d will be the way to go.

JdotSweapA said on July 1, 2014 at 4:44 p.m.

Here's hoping Rock makes it to the roster this time.

ZenTzen said on July 1, 2014 at 5:52 p.m.

SNK already said they'll never put Rock in mainline KOF until Garou 2 is out, which by the way things are going it'll probably be never

Travizion said on July 1, 2014 at 7:35 p.m.

i think i stop at kof 13 i dont even know if i will continue but who knows what can happen In the near Future

USAgent said on July 2, 2014 at 12:38 a.m.

An SNK vs. Capcom game where the SNK characters are actually balanced would be my dream. I loathed watching tourney play of CVS2 to see nothing but Capcom characters. I mean, hell, why not just pop in Street Fighter Alpha 3 if that's all you're going to do?

Gamefreak said on July 2, 2014 at 8:53 a.m.

Yep it's all Capcoms fault that KoF is not popular or appealing to anyone outside of the people who have been playing the series for years.

SereKrios said on August 13, 2014 at 6:11 a.m.

Here's some of the things thatt I want to see in 14

-Either new chars added to 13's roster or remake the whole roster in 3D, SNK doesn't have the money to make a fully new 2D KoF anytime soon
-It really should be a Dream match seeing as the Ash saga is done

-most of the obvious teams from 13 (Hero, Fatal Fury, AoF)
-Whip on a team with K and Maxima
-Kula with Foxy and Diana
-Billy, Yamazaki and Mary
-The OG Women's team with Mai, Yuri and King, and also another one with Kagura, Xiangfei and Jenne Bonnet/or another female Char
-New Face team with Orochi Versions
-a reformed Chang and Choi with Jhun Hoon as their teacher
-Kim Kaphawan with his sons from Garou
-A masters team of Saisyu, Heidern and Chin (that would be interesting) with Bao on the Psycho Soldier team
-a sub-boss team of Geese, Krauser and Goenitz
-Rugal as boss
-Mukai and Saiki as hidden bosses
- K9999, Kyo-1 and Kyo-2
-single entries Ash, Shingo for god's sake, Orochi Iori, Orochi Leona

-same cancelling/meter system as 13
-Bring back taunts!
-and please please please don't bring back strikers.