Darkstalkers are not dead! They, along with Megaman X and Breath of Fire, are here to grace your iPhone cover

Posted by Cheng Kai 'KarbyP' Sim • June 27, 2014 at 8:53 a.m. PDT

Settle down, boys and girls! Capcom's Tomoaki Ayano has some great news about the Darkstalkers series to tell you about.

"It's been about a year since Darkstalkers Resurrection was released," Capcom's Tomoaki Ayano writes in his latest post on the Saikyo X Kobusi blog.

"So I'm truly pleased, as a Darkstalkers fan myself, to be able to tell you about some new information on the Darkstalkers franchise today.

"And that is: The All-Capcom Titles Original Smartphone Cover Fan-vote Project," Ayano enthuses.

Click images for larger versions

Ayano is referring to a new series of limited iPhone 5/5S covers that the e-Capcom store will produce and sell, once a certain number of orders has been reached.

A total of eight designs have been nominated for this smartphone cover project so far, available for pre-orders on the Japanese online retail store (for those of you who are wondering, they accept foreign credit cards but will only ship to Japanese addresses).

However -- just like with the alternate versions of the Morrigan figure announced recently -- only the designs that meet a minimum number of orders will actually be made and sold.

Four of those designs are based on the Darkstalkers series, and the remaining designs feature artwork from the Megaman X and Breath of Fire franchises.

And Capcom has plans to add more designs to the line-up in the near future

Which design, out of the current eight nominees, would you vote with your wallet on? What other designs would you like to see?

Source: e-Capcom smartphone covers campaign site via Saikyo X Kobusi blog.

Comments

ShinAkiraDesu said on June 27, 2014 at 9:06 a.m.

got to love that meele banner

CrazyC0mb0 said on June 27, 2014 at 9:07 a.m.

These look good, but still screw you Ayano for messing with us :c

sarif2soon said on June 27, 2014 at 9:11 a.m.

Now I want an iPhone.

Hypermarth said on June 27, 2014 at 9:14 a.m.

I'm kind of sad that Iphone gets a lot more covers than android. I really would have liked that P4A Mitsuru phone cover xD.

Kenmasters101 said on June 27, 2014 at 9:26 a.m.

That Morgan is a must have

KarbyP said on June 27, 2014 at 9:27 a.m.

You're referring to the Dezaegg ones, right?

I actually wanted to buy one... but in the end I just didn't quite like the designs. The backgrounds look really a**.

Some of the Dezaegg covers are available for Android devices, by the way. Not too sure about the P4A ones though.

Strider_Hien said on June 27, 2014 at 9:29 a.m.

The Megaman X-Breath of Fire ones=Them feels...;_;

oghaggard said on June 27, 2014 at 9:33 a.m.

lmao, F you, Event Hubs, for starting the headline with that.

"Street Fighter 5!!!!!! here are some iphone covers."

KingKong said on June 27, 2014 at 9:36 a.m.

We want freaking video games, not some plastic crap! Give us next-gen DS FFS or we're going to start flippin tables

ChumbleB said on June 27, 2014 at 9:39 a.m.

Newest excuse for not making a new DS game: "Not enough people bought the iPhone covers!"

NoizyChild said on June 27, 2014 at 9:42 a.m.

Yes, let's have Capcom waste money on a franchise that nobody plays.

Then let's turn around and say Capcom makes "bad business decisions" for supporting games with active fanbases.

/backwards logic

Existent said on June 27, 2014 at 10:01 a.m.

"They're here to grace your iphone cover."

That means they're dead.

sarif2soon said on June 27, 2014 at 10:06 a.m.

That would be a really cool and original way to announce SF5.

AriesWarlock said on June 27, 2014 at 10:08 a.m.

You can make your own at mycustomcase.com

BurningVigor said on June 27, 2014 at 10:11 a.m.

Wheres my bof2?

Weltall said on June 27, 2014 at 10:14 a.m.

There are thousands of these all over Tokyo, and a lot better ones than shown here.

OhYouDontSayThat said on June 27, 2014 at 10:22 a.m.

that Demitri... don't move he's looking right at us...

Wintry said on June 27, 2014 at 10:22 a.m.

I want that Mega Man X case badly.

QperG said on June 27, 2014 at 10:23 a.m.

why is darkstalkers dead? I could get into it.

HmpLghtng said on June 27, 2014 at 10:23 a.m.

Darkstalkers is not dead, we grouped it with two other dead games and made cell phone covers.

DrDevice said on June 27, 2014 at 10:26 a.m.

That BoF makes me wish I had an iPhone.

theshredder39 said on June 27, 2014 at 10:34 a.m.

I think the title of this update made some people cry.

HSC_Emerald said on June 27, 2014 at 10:36 a.m.

Breath of fire! My childhood! T-T

BlackRain said on June 27, 2014 at 10:47 a.m.

"Darkstalkers are not dead!"

Yesssssssssssssssssssss!

"iPhone cover"

...

-.-

Eye_of_Orochi said on June 27, 2014 at 10:50 a.m.

OMG stop with the Capcom patrol already NoizyChild. We get it, you're a loyal Capcom lap dog who wishes he worked for them and that EHubs only posted news about SF and Marvel.

Really though, how are you always around to defend them? You are the epitome of a broken record and you're "logic" is lost on people who just wish that Capcom wouldn't only try to please the masses with every game release.

If Capcom had been making better decisions the past few years, maybe they'd have more money to throw around so that they could make games that please their smaller fan bases. But no, they've been making flops left and right, gutting out perfectly good franchises, wasting time on old ports, and aim too high for sales goals and don't reach them. It's not our fault we can't get something like a new Darkstalkers, it is theirs.

superray21 said on June 27, 2014 at 10:55 a.m.

No love for the 5c? :(

fawaz said on June 27, 2014 at 11:01 a.m.

"The All-Capcom Titles Original Smartphone Cover Fan-vote Project"

Phew, took a while to read that. Good job; don't make games, make iPhone covers instead. Lol.

Well I kinda agree that making a Darkstalkers game would be a waste of money & other resources. I'd rather have a Capcom Fighting All-Stars game.

FalsoL said on June 27, 2014 at 11:17 a.m.

When I read Darkstalkers is not dead almost suffered a heart attack. I curse you covers

Kuza21 said on June 27, 2014 at 11:17 a.m.

Yeah....Darkstalkers are as dead as they were 15 years ago...It's been over. Thanks to Ono the few of us fans had hope. but now we all know that "Darkstalkers are not dead" Campaign was only to sell a glorified port and a new title in the series was most likely never even considered.

xShonuffx said on June 27, 2014 at 11:23 a.m.

Awww Hell EH!? I seen the title and got all excited, Cmon man don't do dat!

Also...iphone covers...

-_-

Oddness said on June 27, 2014 at 11:27 a.m.

No BoF is the only thing that really hurts me but also hits me really hard.

PurplePonyJotaro said on June 27, 2014 at 11:48 a.m.

I have to agree.

tktktk43 said on June 27, 2014 at 12:11 p.m.

Iphone covers? Once the mold is made it's pretty cheap to manufacture and distribute so I understand why Capcom wants to enter the space; who doesn't want a quick buck? I'm not sure if this is the right direction for Capcom though. Durability outshines design for cases and there are already well established brands on the market. FGC is niche, and so are the customers interested in plastering Darkstalkers/BOF/Megaman on their phones. I'm a fan of all three and I'm not interested. I'm also concern about the no-loss attitude Capcom has. They use implications, attempting to move the company forward. What's business without a little risk? Their mentality of "If this happens then we will do this..." is rather annoying and I don't see any other corporate level businesses employing this as Capcom has. If you don't believe in what you are doing then don't do it. If you believe in your products, make it good and publish it.

Ermapume said on June 27, 2014 at 1:01 p.m.

Rage...slowly...building.

Wardog said on June 27, 2014 at 1:11 p.m.

I guess this is closes we're getting for a new title, for these franchise.lol

Dang you Capcom, that's a dirty shot. People been asking for a new title with these games and you either don't make it or you just make a mobile game out of them. What ever happen to "We listen to our Consumers/Fans feedback"?

Yung said on June 27, 2014 at 1:46 p.m.

F*** this title, but nice covers !

GiganV3 said on June 27, 2014 at 2:11 p.m.

Agh, I got excited for a second here, screw this.

likewoah said on June 27, 2014 at 2:54 p.m.

That twinge of excitement before reading the nest sentence...

This guy could give Dreamking a run for his money.

DestinyZX1 said on June 27, 2014 at 3:10 p.m.

You hit the nail there. I have no faith in Capcom anymore.

Sonson said on June 27, 2014 at 3:29 p.m.

I don't even know what an iphone is. I've never owned a phone of any type in my life, save for a regular turn-dial or touch button house phone.

So these are basically just like book covers for your phone? I don't really understand the point. Meh.

Existent said on June 27, 2014 at 4:56 p.m.

How do you manage to use the internet?

Sonson said on June 27, 2014 at 6:33 p.m.

What does one have to do with the other? I use the internet from my PC. I didn't even know you could use the internet on phones. Like I said in the previous comment, the only phone I have is a house phone

rocorolly said on June 27, 2014 at 6:38 p.m.

I'm gonna be honest, I never owned a smart phone or had the desire to. I own and owned a mini notebook that I skype and text on when out and about tho. I guess its the same. It's small enough to fit in the large zipper pockets my pants often have, so there's that.

@Sonson: You're not serious.

Sonson said on June 27, 2014 at 7:55 p.m.

What? Is using the internet from a PC that hard to believe? Are portable phones really the way people type stuff nowadays?

rocorolly said on June 27, 2014 at 8:44 p.m.

No and yes. On that internet on your computer, or just looking at the world around you on TV, magazines, news, other people through word of mouth, you'd think you'd get a hint somewhere along the line that cell phones can go on the internet. I mean damn, just by watching a fighting game stream you should know cell phones have internet. People check for things on the internet on their phones often on stream.

If you don't know what a stream is, I don't know what else to say, and I'll leave it at that.

NoizyChild said on June 27, 2014 at 10:55 p.m.

Not my fault y'all can't seem to figure out how businesses work.

DS fans aren't "the masses". Not even close.

Take your emotions and nostalgia goggles out of the equation and feature what I'm saying. From a BUSINESS standpoint, it's stupid to waste thousands, if not millions of development dollars on a franchise that didn't even sell when games were far cheaper to make. Making a new DS game would get Capcom a few thousand dollars, at best.

And no, it's the DS fans' fault they aren't getting a new one. If you won't support what you have already, why should they even bother giving you a new game? Because you bitched and whined about it? Please.

SF fans supported HDR. They got SF4 and all its iterations as a result.

Marvel fans supported MVC2. They got MVC3.

Darkstalkers fans, for all their talk, couldn't even be bothered to go download DSR, but then have the nerve to whine that Capcom won't take a chance on them when they won't even support what they do have.

Same for Mega Man fans. All they literally had to do was DOWNLOAD (for free, mind you) SFxMM, and they would have gotten a new MM. Instead, they kicked and whined and screamed and got nothing.

Try pulling your head out of your ass. I'd say the same thing about other game companies, but you know what? Their fans actually support what they have, and they have worse deals than Capcom games.

So no, I'm not some "corporate shill", or "Capcom lapdog". I just have something that a lot of you apparently don't: Knowledge as to how business works, and some common sense to boot.

Thus endeth the lesson.

Sonson said on June 27, 2014 at 11:56 p.m.

See, I was completely ignorant to the fact portable phones had internet connection. Nobody in my family has ever had a portable phone. I've also never known anyone personally who owned one (or, if they have, I didn't know about it)

And yes, I know what a stream is, though again, I don't really know what the connection between a stream is to phones. My computer is really laggy when running a live steam so I usually watch my videos on youtube.

courte said on June 28, 2014 at 12:05 a.m.

Its dead because you aren't playing it right now, and when you did buy that resurrection game, it was the fourth or fifth time you bought dark stalkers 2 or 3 so you didn't feel bad about waiting until it was about $3.75. It's dead because capcom doesn't see it in stream or hear about the side tourneys.

btw noisy I think you are throwing the term fan around a little loosely. and making generalizations without taking into account alternative perspectives. lets take the sprite work ds games. they are a study in animation with stretching twisting pulling pushing cartoonish wonderful detail. It was a work in progress, look at Capcom's early work in marvel super heroes or cota. That hitstun animation for everyone was a jagged non descript blur.

With reports that the ds4 that was rumored to have been in development having been a reworked version of sfxt why would a diehard fan of ds be happy about that. In 3d many of the basics of old school animation are gone. In SF some could argue its for the better, marvel 2. Using mostly realistic, humanoid characters... but in comparison the the inflation, flattening, transforming charm of DS WOULD IT WORK BEST?

also I think you over estimate the number of legit ds fans... not your fault as everyone says they are. But really its more likely that everyone simply likes something particular about it. The character designs, the gameplay, the aesthetic, the story. This however does not equate to a purchase for everyone.

Think of it like this, how many people do you know of play shiv but actively tell you it is not their preferred fighter... but they still play it? Maybe they love galaxy fight or kof2001 or bukiri one but you wouldn't hold any of those communities responsible for failing to fund a new game because without looking into it you know the number isn't that grand

rocorolly said on June 28, 2014 at 12:28 a.m.

OK one the connection I was making was, if you were to watch streams frequently you'd know people use their smart phones (portable phones) to go on the internet cause they do it all the time. They constantly state things like "let me go look it up on my phone" when referencing a website or something like that, and proceed to do so.

Also they even have internet apps for phones where you can watch streams, that is another connection between phones and streams.

Two, forget streams, TV commercials/internet ads show smart phones browsing the web all the time, and advertise better services for them to do that.

Dude are you trolling? Am I being trolled right now? If not I find it highly suspect that you'd end up on a niche video game genre's competitive community website, and not know what a smart phone is generally capable of, but I'll leave it at that.

NoizyChild said on June 28, 2014 at 12:33 a.m.

What does any of that have to do with Darkstalkers not being a successful or profitable series?

I'm not overestimating anything. I've always said that the DS fanbase is incredibly small, to the point where making a new game would be completely pointless.

rocorolly said on June 28, 2014 at 1:15 a.m.

Let me ask you a question though, If you know the reasons people act the way they do (bias, emotion) why do you keep pandering to it whenever the situation arises?

Are you trying to put them down or something? I actually legit don't get it.

Just for the record, I too agree that business sense agrees with your argument, just sayin. I mean MM I'm not sure is at that point where Capcom can't take a chance with it in it's current situation (It's being heavily advertised right now), but Vampire?

Well three things.

One, If they approach it like an all new AAA I.P and promote the crap out of it as if a reboot, it gains critical acclaim, and it still fails because of the over saturation of its niche genre? Eeeew...That's gotta sting, that could be very damaging for Capcom. <Huge risk option.

Two, If they update it in a relatively safer fashion, like use preexisting sprites, update balance, add a few new characters here and there etc. I don't know what to make of that. Would the fanbase be grateful for that, or would it attract a new audience? Past evidence would suggest no. <less risky option.

Three, Capcom doesn't update Vampire at all, then the preexisting fans make efforts to take the series to new heights. Organize large tournaments, spreading the word about what makes the series great to attract new fans, etc till the series blows up, to where the business end of it can't be ignored. Then Capcom proceeds with situation number two, and is successful enough to provide situation number one. I believe this is the safest route. In this case tho it's in the fan's hands. Which of course I highly doubt the fans would take that step.

Sonson said on June 28, 2014 at 1:24 a.m.

Why would I troll you? I'm on this site because it's a game information site. I come here for game information.

Anyway, no, I know absolutely nothing about portable phones. Yes, I'm ignorant towards the whole thing, but that's because I've never looked up any information on them before. I've never had one, so I've had absolutely no reason to. Obviously I know OF phones, having heard of them and the like, but I don't know anything about them. Such as the fact that I had no idea they could connect to the internet.

Not everyone has access to the same information, you know. And not everyone who has access to information chooses to use it. I didn't know my original comment would blow up into something like this. My original point was that I have no idea what an iphone is and that covers for phones sound like they'd be pointless. That's all.

rocorolly said on June 28, 2014 at 2:20 a.m.

I've never specifically looked up information on smart phones or had one before in my life, and yet I knew about them. But anyway yeah well, now you know, so you can move on.

Let me let you in on another thing. They also can have operating systems that store and play music, view pictures, files, and watch videos. Think of it like your computer, but smaller and with phone service priority.

courte said on June 28, 2014 at 3:53 a.m.

Pointless if you only counter the diehard fgc fanbase. What about the horror fans? And people who happen to like that they bothered with an actual story? And people like me who happen to like ds alot but not love it anymore or less than SF? Maybe capcom should adjust how much money they pump into their games and where they do it? Considering most companies are chasing down the next big thing in gaming, and capcom has throngs of fans asking for revivals of 10+ older franchises, it seems not so pointless to me. Someone could say no dark stalkers and not listening to fans has led them to their current financial straits. Listening to the shareholders and the board currently has them bent over

NoizyChild said on June 28, 2014 at 9:39 a.m.

They already tried your third suggestion. DSR was at a number of tournaments. Hardly anybody entered them, because hardly anybody plays or bought DSR, which told Capcom that there isn't enough support for Darkstalkers to warrant a new game.

Hence, it being the fans' fault that there is no new DS. What is it that people like to say when they don't get their way? "Speak with your wallet".

NoizyChild said on June 28, 2014 at 9:47 a.m.

It's pointless when you realize that those franchises barely made money to begin with.

Take a look at that data. Out of all the requested franchises that you tend to see (Mega Man, Darkstalkers, Rival Schools, etc.), you know the only one on that list that has even sold in the millions? Mega Man.

You know what the highest selling Mega Man game is? Mega Man 2. That's right, the highest selling game in the entire franchise came out in 1988, 26 years ago.

Listening to the fans would have them broke. That's why I said people need to take off the nostalgia goggles, hop out of their feelings, and look at things through a bigger lens. Capcom would make more money with a RE7 than wasting resources on a franchise that barely sells in the first place.

rocorolly said on June 28, 2014 at 11:07 a.m.

You don't need to tell me. Have you forgotten my rant on the MM fanbase last time I replied to you? I actually agree, but to a degree. What I say with Mega Man is it's unpredictable, one second it's selling a couple of hundred thousand units, next its selling in the millions.

(To my knowledge 2, 3, X, BN4 are the only million sellers, I would say well these entries sold the most for this and that reason, but I don't know. Mega Man 2 because it was heavily publicized and acclaimed in media at the time? Maybe 3 rode the wave of attention 2 had. X because of it's radical changes from the original formula, or BN4 because of the popularity of the anime at the time? IDK, but what I do know is it does well to justify its relatively tame (I'm guessing) dev cost, from time to time.)

I also don't think the franchise bleeds money. Worst cases with most of the games I'd assume is, they either make a small profit or break even. Which is not good for a large company like Capcom but still, there's that.

What I say is, give it one more shot now that it is in everyone's face with Smash giving it attention, If it is critically/technically well received and people still don't support? Then f what the fans have to say negatively about how Capcom handles MM after that.

BTW for anyone thinking I am harsh on something I don't truly care for, MM is my favorite video game franchise. I do have enough sense to understand that the business industry is a harsh one tho.

rocorolly said on June 28, 2014 at 11:15 a.m.

Sorry about that NoisyChild, thought your second post addressed me. My bad, but still my message stands.

RoggingCamp said on June 29, 2014 at 2:51 a.m.

Phone covers? That'll bail them out!

Razberryclownsac said on June 30, 2014 at 12:38 p.m.

1. Only Japanese addresses. 2. No Haien-Ko. Nope, wouldn't buy. And I must agree, that was a really mean headline lol.