Sako talks about his experience playing BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, and why he's only competing in Ultra Street Fighter 4 at EVO 2014

Posted by Cheng Kai 'KarbyP' Sim • June 18, 2014 at 12:43 p.m. PDT

Famitsu has published a new interview with Hori|Sako as part of their on-going Hori Densetsu Dot Com series of columns ("Densetsu" being the Japanese word for "Legend") .

This interview was conducted shortly after Sako's wife Akiki gave birth to their daughter on April 17 (the same day Ultra Street Fighter 4 went into service in Japanese arcades), and slightly before BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma was patched on May 14.

In it, Sako speaks mostly about his experience with BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma, a game that he had been playing while waiting for Ultra Street Fighter 4 to come out.

In fact, Sako's been enjoying the game so much that one of Famitsu's editors, who introduces himself as the middle child of the Toyoizumi Brothers, bought Sako the PS Vita version of BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma as a gift to celebrate the birth of his daughter.

Sako: That made me really happy (laughs).

Hori representative: But that has nothing to do with the baby!

Akiki (Sako's wife): Recently Sako's been taking to the PS Vita a lot. As I've been in the hospital all this while and Sako's been here every night, he hasn't been able to game as much, and I kinda felt bad. So I said to him, "it's okay to go buy a PS Vita game to play in the hospital."

Following his wife's advice, Hori|Sako picked up Dai-3-Ji Super Robot Taisen Z Jigoku-hen.

Toyoizumi (Famitsu editor): You seem to like simulation games quite a bit huh, Sako? Are you knowledgeable about the various Mecha series that make their appearances in the game?

Sako: Actually, not at all. The only one I know about is Evangelion, so that's why I picked this up. From there, as I played more of the game and saw robots from the other series for the first time, I though "woah, that's amazing!"

Hori representative: The great thing about simulation games is that you can play them during pockets of time here and there. By the way, how much time did you manage to sink into the game before your wife gave birth?

Sako: Hmmm... I'm still at around the 30th chapter, I think.

Toyoizumi: That's plenty of time sinked in! (Laughs)

Akiki: Not nearly as much time as he spends in training mode! (Laughs)

Akiki is referring in particular to the training mode in BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma on the PS3, which Sako had been playing.

Like we mentioned, at the time of this interview, the PS3 version had not yet been updated with the latest patch. And so Hori|Sako was asked if he plans to train to compete in BlazBlue: Chrono Phantasma as well at EVO 2014.

Sako: Well, even though I'm playing it, I don't have any intentions to compete in it at a tournament level. In the first place I only got into this while waiting for Ultra Street Fighter 4 to come out, so I've just really only started playing. I've just got to the rank of 10th Dan within the game, and started figuring out the good points of my character.

Toyoizumi: Looks like you've been really enjoying it.

Sako: I have. Although the game is really quite difficult, it's also been a lot of fun.

Sako says that he's been beefing up his Litchi Faye-Ling. But prior to that, he had been playing Nu-13.

He says that he enjoys playing characters who can attack from a distance, but whom can also fight up-close. Although he found both Litchi and Nu-13 to be difficult characters to learn, the way that their attacks can be utilised has him intrigued.

Akiki: There was also a character that he tried but stopped playing. That Amane character.

Sako: Ah, right, I played as Amane for a bit... but when I heard Amane's voice, I realised for the first time that he's actually a guy. And when that happened, that sort of betrayed my expectations, so I stopped playing him. (Laughs)

Source: Famitsu.com

Comments

beita said on June 18, 2014 at 12:47 p.m.

Best wife ever.

Lol at Amane.

Gotomaster said on June 18, 2014 at 12:50 p.m.

Even Japanese don't get these androgynous anime characters. lol

omglonghair said on June 18, 2014 at 12:51 p.m.

Akiki is the ultimate gamer wife lol
Hopefully sako is ready for EVO I wanna see him in top 3

PKOmega said on June 18, 2014 at 12:53 p.m.

lol I did the same thing as sako when I figured out Bridget from Guilty Gear was a guy

Whengameswerefun said on June 18, 2014 at 1:05 p.m.

Right LOL that junk is odd and he was just keeping it real unlike the mainstream media is doing over in the west justifying stuff like this.

Raiden365 said on June 18, 2014 at 1:07 p.m.

Happy he decided to play an enjoyable game on the side instead of a popular one. Then again, BB and Xrd are as popular as SF4 atm.

KarbyP said on June 18, 2014 at 1:09 p.m.

You could tell from Bridget's voice? 0_0

MyKiLL said on June 18, 2014 at 1:16 p.m.

...in Japan

Whereas the US is forever stuck on SF4 and Marvel.

old_school_rival said on June 18, 2014 at 1:20 p.m.

PS Vita is a godsend for busy gaming Dads, most of my gaming is done on my Vita.

Eye_of_Orochi said on June 18, 2014 at 1:23 p.m.

If he put a little more time into his Litchi I bet he would still place pretty high at EVO. Maybe not top 8 or even 16, but damn...I want to see Sako play BB haha

But alas, he's better off putting any training into Ultra, considering how little time there is between when the latest version released and EVO

Books said on June 18, 2014 at 1:25 p.m.

There is a lot of support for other games, but people on Ehubs and SRK only pay attention to things in relativity to Capcom for the most part.

anon1010 said on June 18, 2014 at 1:27 p.m.

the article banner makes sense to me now

messias_89 said on June 18, 2014 at 1:28 p.m.

if i ever have a wife,i wish it is like Akiki. Kappa Now seriously,sako as a good chance of winning evo with dat buffed e ryu,im expecting great matches from him.

Existent said on June 18, 2014 at 1:33 p.m.

"Betrayed my expectations"
Really? He would care about something like that so much?

mrambitious said on June 18, 2014 at 1:35 p.m.

Great to see one of the SF fanboy icons coming out and admitting he is loving another game. So much trolling on non-SF4 titles its insane.

Burnt said on June 18, 2014 at 1:36 p.m.

FG devs really like to toy with peoples emotions in the gender dept. Waiting for a large breasted fighter with multiple tentacles coming from the lower abdominal area..

Raiden365 said on June 18, 2014 at 1:36 p.m.

Things may be changing at the end of the year good sir. #WhensXrd

sweetmonkeylove said on June 18, 2014 at 1:43 p.m.

F*CK I KNEW SAKO WAS PIMP NOW JUST EFFING CONFIRMED HARDCORE!

Wife in hospital sayin "Sako's been here every night, he hasn't been able to game as much, and I kinda felt bad. So I said to him, "it's okay to go buy a PS Vita game to play in the hospital"

HE prolly got 1 frame vagina links custom combos on that waifu vag.

GG Sako!

Loryuo said on June 18, 2014 at 1:44 p.m.

Well......this was a worthless article. =/

rocorolly said on June 18, 2014 at 1:45 p.m.

Do people really think top players only play one video game, is that really a thing?

Baby_Astaroth said on June 18, 2014 at 1:47 p.m.

I never knew Bridget was a dude. haha damn.

Asgard314 said on June 18, 2014 at 1:49 p.m.

The sad thing is he would've loved Amane had he stuck with him. Good ranged attacks with decent normals and a drive that eats through the opponent's health.

I'm happy for him though!

koyomiwa said on June 18, 2014 at 2:02 p.m.

Sako is the Godfather Noko son !

God_Demon said on June 18, 2014 at 2:07 p.m.

I haven't been seeing any trolling on non sf4 related articles. People are pretty excited for GGXrd. SF4 players and marvel players alike.

NoizyChild said on June 18, 2014 at 2:07 p.m.

Heaven forbid people play games they like and can identify with, right?

DevilMaySpy said on June 18, 2014 at 2:09 p.m.

Expected this to turn into a ridiculous political debate. I'm proud of you, Eventhubs.

JELIFISH19 said on June 18, 2014 at 2:26 p.m.

Why shouldn't he? We pick character for a couple reasons such as how good they are, their design and their play style. Betraying your expectations is a perfectly good reason not to play a character.

LittleScumbag said on June 18, 2014 at 2:29 p.m.

LOL at you hater ... He played bazblue WHILE WAITING for STREET FIGHTER !!! He never said he enjoyed them more than Street Fighter !!!

Accept it you stupid hipster there is only one fighting game : Street Fighter ... nad then, there are some other fighting games (a verry verry few ppl gives a fvck about)

PwnerriffiK said on June 18, 2014 at 2:29 p.m.

Well, I hope people don't taint the article that dives into Sako's personal life. I was always curious about his personal life dealing with a pregnant wife while still grinding on SF or other games. Turns out, she's very supportive. It's interesting to see the Japanese players' personal life and for some people to come in and start trolling by going off topic would be a pretty sad sight to see. I want to see more of these types of articles where they dive into personal lives. To see the personalities of the people we root for makes for a more personal and understanding experience when they win/lose tournaments. Not just Japanese, but every one else as well. It's more about the sort of behind the scenes than just upcoming tournaments and gameplay vids that I like to see every once in a while.

PwnerriffiK said on June 18, 2014 at 2:31 p.m.

For some reason, the reply didn't work properly, but my comment was to DevilMaySpy.

Eye_of_Orochi said on June 18, 2014 at 2:35 p.m.

LMAO that's real rich coming from you!

"Blah blah blah I've tried other games other than Mahvel and SF", you consistently put down other games and their players just because they support games without as big of a tournament presence in the FGC so get outta here with that hypocritical BS.

Do you even play BB or did you just come in here to troll?

ForTheViolence said on June 18, 2014 at 2:42 p.m.

You're a littleScumbag aren't you?

NoizyChild said on June 18, 2014 at 2:47 p.m.

You're kidding, right?

Saying that a game doesn't have a large fanbase =/= trolling.

Meanwhile, you've got people in this very thread bashing people because they play SF and Marvel, instead of whatever game they wish people would play.

And yes, I've owned BB CT, CS, and CP, in addition to owning P4A, KOF 13, TTT2, VF5: FS, Injustice, and KI. They just didn't interest me very much, with the exception of KI and Injustice.

So, good try, but wrong.

Wardog said on June 18, 2014 at 3:15 p.m.

Like Double from Skullgirls?

Spaghetti_Time said on June 18, 2014 at 3:31 p.m.

His wife is so understanding. I'm also glad Sako isn't one to shirk his responsibilities.

Congrats to both of them!

heidern98 said on June 18, 2014 at 3:32 p.m.

Akiki has a baby and is bed ridden for days, and she feels sorry for SAKO having to sit around, because he can't play video games. That is some powerful love.

Existent said on June 18, 2014 at 3:33 p.m.

There is no "should" and "shouldn't". I'm expressing my opinion on his criteria for playing characters.

Burnt said on June 18, 2014 at 3:37 p.m.

I just saw a picture - yeah something like that, but more human and the tentacles obviously coming from the crotchal area :p maybe he/she will have a move like Juris super, with the "tentacles" shooting "plasma" at different angles at once

qcevolution said on June 18, 2014 at 3:40 p.m.

I LOVE Amane

SoftShocks said on June 18, 2014 at 3:53 p.m.

Wow, Congrats to him and his wife.
Aww looks like Sako fell for the trap XD

LK said on June 18, 2014 at 4:20 p.m.

Ursula from Little Mermaid?

Smorgasboard said on June 18, 2014 at 6 p.m.

It's a trap!

MetsuRyu said on June 18, 2014 at 6 p.m.

SAKO SAYS BITCHES ONLY

diddykv said on June 18, 2014 at 6:03 p.m.

Akiki is the perfect wife, and they're like the coolest couple ever.

Family man | Sako.

VulcanHades said on June 18, 2014 at 6:07 p.m.

Chances that Sako ever picks up Poison in USF4: 0%

spotlesseden said on June 18, 2014 at 6:37 p.m.

the trap got Sako. ^^

rosy said on June 18, 2014 at 6:53 p.m.

Congratulation for sako and his family :)

gee, I used to play super robot wars on gameboy advanced. I play cause my fav mecha, Mazinger and getter are in there.

Jayson619 said on June 18, 2014 at 7:57 p.m.

Awww.....why Sako?

I use Amane!

Jayson619 said on June 18, 2014 at 8:04 p.m.

Yeah that pretty sums it up.

It won't be a surprising to see another Asian winning SF at EVO again.

Kongk4 said on June 18, 2014 at 8:08 p.m.

Congrats to Sako. Dood's got an awesome wife!

tokyobassist said on June 18, 2014 at 8:19 p.m.

Hopefully he never loses to Guile so that infamous quote can't be stamped on him.

deus said on June 18, 2014 at 9:35 p.m.

Sako's wife seems pretty cool in the gaming department. Congrats to them both on the newborn. A bit late but it's all good!

Ultima said on June 19, 2014 at 7:18 a.m.

You damn right. Portable gaming on the whole is pretty much mandatory for busy dads, which is why 99% of my gaming for the past five years have been on PSP/PSVita. I played Final Fantasy IV Collection on PSP in the hospital the night my son was born, and I played Dragons Crown on Vita the night my second daughter was born.

JdotSweapA said on June 20, 2014 at 3:54 a.m.

you certainly live up to your namesake good sir