Update: Application window now closed - EventHubs looking to enlist new fighting game content editor

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • June 20, 2014 at 9:06 p.m. PDT

Updated: The deadline has arrived and we will no longer be accepting applications for the content editor position.

We want to thank everyone who sent us their info. Our inbox is absolutely packed with candidates, and we really do appreciate everyone who took the time to apply. Emails are being reviewed now, and the candidates that are selected to move on will be contacted by me (DreamKing) by next week. Good luck to you all, and thanks again!

We here at EventHubs are looking to add a new fighting game content editor to our team, and if you're interested in posting front page stories, along with handling occasional tournament coverage, feel free to Contact Us with your resume and any other notable information about you that may be relevant. Please use the subject: "Fighting game content editor" when you submit the form.

This is a paid spot, but just part-time equivalent hours. To set expectations, this should be on par with a typical part-time position in wages.

Your primary duty as EventHubs' newest content editor will be to post news stories on our front page whilst working from the comfort of your own home. You will also be called upon to handle supplemental tournament coverage from time to time, if/when it is necessary.

Below is a quick rundown of requirements and traits that will help better your chances of scoring the gig.

• Solid grasp of the English language, with the ability to express yourself elegantly and tastefully through your writing.

• Strong knowledge of fighting games and the recognition of high level tactics that are commonly used in tournament play.

• Moderate experience with HTML and CSS a huge plus.

• Moderate experience with image editing software such as Photoshop or GIMP is a huge asset.

• Ability to translate Japanese into English is extremely beneficial, but not a requirement.

Along with the aforementioned requirements, please fill out the questionnaire and include it with your message.

EventHubs fighting game content editor questionnaire

- What is your EventHubs username?

- Which gaming system(s) do you play fighters on: PS3/360/PC/XB1/PS4?

- Which fighting games do you regularly play?

- How many years have you been playing fighters regularly?

- How old are you? (Note: Need to be 18, or older)

- Why are you interested in working for EventHubs?

- What OS is your computer? Also include computer specs like your CPU, RAM and internet connection speed.

- Can you handle sitting at your computer for 4-5 shifts throughout the week?

Important: We will be accepting applications until Friday, June 20, at 9 p.m. PDT / 12 a.m. EDT. If you are selected as a potential candidate, we will be contacting you the following week.

If you know of someone who would be a good fit for the job, please send this post along and have them follow the instructions above.

We hope to hear from you all soon!

Comments

Catalyst said on June 17, 2014 at 6:02 p.m.

"Express yourself elegantly and tastefully through your writing," looks like I'm out, damn!

Virtua_Kazama said on June 17, 2014 at 6:05 p.m.

Didn't know you need content editors.

I'm thinking about applying.

Dreamking23 said on June 17, 2014 at 6:06 p.m.

Drat! And you were #1 on my list of candidates! *scratches Jon's name off of list*

Sadisticcupid said on June 17, 2014 at 6:07 p.m.

jw, how long will this be going on for?

Existent said on June 17, 2014 at 6:07 p.m.

That little point there excludes a worrying amount of this site's readership.

(You know who you are)

sarif2soon said on June 17, 2014 at 6:08 p.m.

"...with the ability to express yourself elegantly and tastefully through your writing."

"...the recognition of high level tactics that are commonly used in tournament play."

"Moderate experience with HTML and CSS..."

"...experience with image editing software such as Photoshop or GIMP..."

"Ability to translate Japanese into English..."

Not even one of them for me? Ouch.
Well, if you're willing to overlook all that, here's my card:

Sadisticcupid said on June 17, 2014 at 6:09 p.m.

nvm i'm out, my current internet connection is balls

gamekingcaleb94 said on June 17, 2014 at 6:10 p.m.

I would love to apply, but it will be difficult for me because I am taking college online full time...

Kid_Kuma said on June 17, 2014 at 6:11 p.m.

I wonder what the pay is

Dreamking23 said on June 17, 2014 at 6:13 p.m.

I was considering you until I saw that you're training a Kyogre...

Groudon all day, baby!

Chrisuchiwa said on June 17, 2014 at 6:14 p.m.

I would have good for this one except my English is not that elegant even if my french and Italian are perfect. Instead of Japanese I learned Chinese :(

Wrong choices!!!

Virtua_Kazama said on June 17, 2014 at 6:18 p.m.

As much as I want to join, I can't do it. Originally, I want to do this because I want to help other communities in a positive light. But because I got an internship and two summer courses in the way, it's gonna be nearly impossible for me.

sarif2soon said on June 17, 2014 at 6:19 p.m.

Water was always my thing. When I get Alpha, I'm beating your a**.

IareBeStayDrunk said on June 17, 2014 at 6:21 p.m.

I'd apply, While my wireless internet allows me to keep up streams rather well...

"Final candidates will be challenged to show their skill and knowledge in-game via online matches."

My red bar Dan is pretty GDLK though.

Perhaps we can opt out of this with an essay? >_>

learis1 said on June 17, 2014 at 6:26 p.m.

I am the man for the job. Now give me teh money.

Cydoken said on June 17, 2014 at 6:26 p.m.

Just applied. Not super formal, but hey.

TheBoshart said on June 17, 2014 at 6:30 p.m.

I would enjoy doing this, but sadly my current internet connection is powered by a hamster turning a wheel. An early congratulations to whoever gets the position.

diddykv said on June 17, 2014 at 6:32 p.m.

Dat moment when you realize you're not good enough for Eventhubs </3

AlexTwo said on June 17, 2014 at 6:36 p.m.

HTML, CSS and Photoshop? Y'all are way too fancy for me.

TorTorVega said on June 17, 2014 at 6:47 p.m.

Part time pay, but requires you to sit at your PC for 12-14 hours? Damn, that eventhubs sweatshop yo.

JELIFISH19 said on June 17, 2014 at 6:58 p.m.

Is there way to email you so we can attach our resume? The "contact us" message box kills resume formatting.

Catalyst said on June 17, 2014 at 7:05 p.m.

The core shifts we're asking for this job are pretty reasonable actually, around the 4-5 hour range, 4 days a week.

The 12-14 hour stints should be pretty uncommon, when a tournament is happening and our main tournament guy is already busy with another event. Supplemental coverage.

If you worked a shift like that, you'd be paid accordingly (see fairly), not equivalent to working a part-time shift.

Cammystrike said on June 17, 2014 at 7:06 p.m.

I graduated high school, is that sufficient? Nah, apart from HTML and Photoshop experience, I don't think I meet the criteria.

Wintry said on June 17, 2014 at 7:09 p.m.

Would love to, but maybe another time when I've got more experience as a writer. Being 19 probably means I suck at writing. I shudder when I read my old GameFAQs Top 10 lists. :p

Any chance of streaming/recording the finalist battle royale?

IMainDanHibiki said on June 17, 2014 at 7:17 p.m.

I would apply, but I'm not sure how well I'd do. I'm not good in photoshop, and I can't read, let alone translate, Japanese.

I took journalism in Highschool though, so maybe, and I used to be a moderator on a few websites that used HTML, so who knows.

Good luck to whoever does apply, though...

BlackOnyxThunder said on June 17, 2014 at 7:22 p.m.

My writing is always tasteful. Just yesterday, I went to McDonalds and...

zombiebrian said on June 17, 2014 at 7:28 p.m.

I'd apply but.... Reasons lol.

Arma said on June 17, 2014 at 7:45 p.m.

is this open to non US residents? I'm currently in Japan and fulfil all the criteria.

Arma said on June 17, 2014 at 7:47 p.m.

Oops

Arma said on June 17, 2014 at 7:51 p.m.

Share via Dropbox is probably easiest.

SirKenjamin said on June 17, 2014 at 7:52 p.m.

Nice, makes me wish I didn't work full time. Any room for freelance? :D

Catalyst said on June 17, 2014 at 7:53 p.m.

Yes. We actually have two people who work outside of the U.S. on the site, in Sweden and Singapore.

Arma said on June 17, 2014 at 7:56 p.m.

Great. I'm currently employed full time though my job is in IT which has me sat in front of PC pretty much constantly and I am able to watch streams and even play from work during break times (!).

I will apply either way and see how it works out. I don't know how I could take part in the online battles but there is already some decent footage of me out there:

Drooogs said on June 17, 2014 at 8:11 p.m.

As a professional writer, former arcade junkie and lifelong Street Fighter fan, I find it demeaning that candidates will be asked to show their skills online instead of providing clearly written explanations of fundamentals such as footsies, frame traps and okizeme.

I could write and play circles around all your contributors.

Nonetheless, good luck and thanks for the site.

Oculus_Orbis said on June 17, 2014 at 8:23 p.m.

"Solid grasp of the English language, with the ability to express yourself elegantly and tastefully through your writing."

Am I getting warmer?

Hehehe. Just kidding, ZB.

diddysinatra said on June 17, 2014 at 8:24 p.m.

Bah, I'm currently making a game, so I wouldn't have time. Otherwise, I'd seriously give this a shot.

TasteOfVictory said on June 17, 2014 at 8:26 p.m.

None of it would be useful or accurate if you don't fully understand the concepts you claim enough to apply them.

nosloandy said on June 17, 2014 at 8:32 p.m.

Man, thank god all of your current editors play well enough to write poorly edited articles about Cammy cosplay. I was worried that they weren't qualified enough to be telling me about fanservice.

Seriously though, what site actually thinks that playing well should be placed as the final gateway over writing clearly and concise descriptions. I don't know if you're aware, but you could be the best player in the world and not be able to write a clear article about frame data. Not only that, but just the act of playing well has nothing to do with writing about fighting games in the first place. But, hey whatever, you can gate-keep all you want under the ruse that you aren't just using that as a way to ensure people you like get in.

Good luck, I guess.

OnlineRon91 said on June 17, 2014 at 8:41 p.m.

You guys switched the last question when I had already submitted my application lol. Well my answer was still in the same vein so hopefully that doesn't affect me negatively.

Good luck to everyone else who is applying.

Remondo02 said on June 17, 2014 at 9:02 p.m.

BlackGuile said on June 17, 2014 at 9:14 p.m.

YO ULLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Shozuhn said on June 17, 2014 at 9:20 p.m.

lol... yea... I too wonder how important the actual skill level is. Seems a bit silly if you're expecting your writers to be a great player. I guess you can hire whoever you want tho. But it seems a bit like a newspaper expecting a sports writer to tackle Mark Ingram in a tackling drill before their willing to hire him to write about football. Shouldn't the ability to write interesting articles that people enjoy reading be enough? lol

endofdreamz said on June 17, 2014 at 10:23 p.m.

Well I applied, haha, lets see what happens eh

sarif2soon said on June 17, 2014 at 10:26 p.m.

"Strong knowledge of fighting games and the recognition of high level tactics that are commonly used in tournament play."

The matches are the best way to tell how good an applicant's understanding is of the game. How can they tell otherwise? Just take their word for it?

And they're not looking for pro-level players; rather the player with the most understanding of the applicants.

Wasted said on June 17, 2014 at 10:38 p.m.

Are applicants required to actually play in these online matches?

GoodMan said on June 17, 2014 at 10:55 p.m.

$8.95 per hour? Bison dollars?

meistermayo said on June 17, 2014 at 11:03 p.m.

Yknow... we could use some guys to fill out the other game pages :D

drillbit777 said on June 18, 2014 at 12:07 a.m.

Damn, I'm terrible at SF4 and my computer and internet are really crappy :(. Also I'm currently with summer classes at the moment and can't do a full time job. Good luck to the other applicants though

nosloandy said on June 18, 2014 at 1:48 a.m.

Then have them write a paper about their understanding of the game in addition to why they enjoy playing. I also probably don't even need to touch on how utterly divorced skill-level is with someone's literal "understanding" of the game. Understanding of what is happening should take precedent over the ability to replicate what is happening, or has happened. There is a glaring incompatibility with trying to equate the two. For example, I know what safe ranges Daigo throws fireballs at, but I can't replicate it to save myself.

rudiano said on June 18, 2014 at 2:56 a.m.

Im pretty sure I will be picked, no brainer Kappa

pyrus said on June 18, 2014 at 3:52 a.m.

I agree. It's like having candidates for a sports writer position demonstrate their knowledge by having them play in a game.

I was thinking more of a Skype interview while watching a YouTube video of a match. They would need to be able to recognize high level tactics in real time, which I think is more relevant than the actual skill level of the applicant.

Then again, I'm not the one with the money. If they think playing an actual match is important, that's their decision.

Remondo02 said on June 18, 2014 at 5:30 a.m.

Tenkei said on June 18, 2014 at 6:09 a.m.

Before submitting my application I would like confirmation that my resume would actually be taken into account if I share it via Dropbox or if I should just rewrite it in the "Contact Us" message box?

diddysinatra said on June 18, 2014 at 6:16 a.m.

Didn't realize that so many people are so insecure about their fighting game skill. Remember: We're playing video games here. I read it as an invitation to have some fun and strut whatever stuff you have.

Even if you're playing badly, you could communicate through voice chat what you're noticing about THEIR play and your awful play.

KamfPudding said on June 18, 2014 at 7:24 a.m.

:D This was a good one :D

TakinawaTonfa said on June 18, 2014 at 8:36 a.m.

So just to double check, is this position fully remote or is there any particular location you'd prefer your applicant to reside? (Like California, West Coast, etc. For the record, I live in Maryland)

Medikor said on June 18, 2014 at 8:53 a.m.

I'd actually be tempted to apply but I'm super busy this Summer. I'm also not much for photoshop or able to translate Japanese. I'll be sure to try brushing up on image editing and perhaps I might apply next time there's an opening.

ryuhayabusa13 said on June 18, 2014 at 8:59 a.m.

They mentioned that some employees are already outside the US, so location doesn't matter.

TakinawaTonfa said on June 18, 2014 at 9:08 a.m.

Excellent!

I did see that after the fact, but I have had some not-so-good experiences with locale info in the past. I went ahead and applied!

ryuhayabusa13 said on June 18, 2014 at 9:15 a.m.

Cool Beans. best of luck :]

Dreamking23 said on June 18, 2014 at 9:44 a.m.

Yes, your resume will be looked over and is required in order for us to consider you for the spot. However you wish to send it over is fine with us :)

Dreamking23 said on June 18, 2014 at 9:57 a.m.

Just to be clear, we're not going to judge entirely on your performance when the games are played. The matches are just to see if the candidate has a general understanding of what goes on in a typical match.

The fastest way to see if a player has that understanding is seeing them put it to use in an actual match. Keep in mind that whether the candidate wins or loses will not affect our decision.

You don't have to come in and be Daigo or anything like that. We're not looking for top-level play. We just need to see if you know what you're doing.

OnlineRon91 said on June 18, 2014 at 10:02 a.m.

Is there a particular fighter you guys will focus on?

Dreamking23 said on June 18, 2014 at 10:04 a.m.

Your name is "endofdreamz"??

Oh, I don't like that one bit... :p

Dreamking23 said on June 18, 2014 at 10:05 a.m.

lol it's okay Zombie-B! We still <3 youuuu! :p

Dreamking23 said on June 18, 2014 at 10:07 a.m.

Knowledge of the most popular fighting games right now is what we're looking for. You won't be expected to write only about a specific fighter or anything like that, but being in the know for games like USF4, UMvC3, Smash Bros., Injustice, etc. will be helpful.

Mind you, you're not expected to be an expert on them, just have an understanding of what they're about and how they work.

Dreamking23 said on June 18, 2014 at 10:22 a.m.

Only the final candidates will be expected to play against me in actual online matches.

Oculus_Orbis said on June 18, 2014 at 11:29 a.m.

How might I go about playing against you in an actual online match, without applying? :)

TakinawaTonfa said on June 18, 2014 at 11:33 a.m.

Oh that's right...!

Regarding the resume bit, I didn't see any way to attach a document in the contact form, would it be all right if we linked to a portfolio site where said resume could be downloaded? Or is there another preferred method?

OnlineRon91 said on June 18, 2014 at 11:55 a.m.

Fair enough. I agree that it wouldn't make much sense to hire a specialist for a website whose goal is to cater to a wide range of current and upcoming fighters. Flexibility with current fighters and adaptability to new fighters is a major part of your search from my understanding.

I hope you guys are able to find the perfect candidate for your future endeavors.

endofdreamz said on June 18, 2014 at 1:11 p.m.

O_O! But I'm not really ending dreams, its just a reference to Devil Jin's command throw in Tekken 5. You should like it, it's cool ^_^ haha

9DeadlySinns said on June 18, 2014 at 1:45 p.m.

I love the fact that the job offer ends in playing some street fighter! Are you taking candidates from U.K ? Is it a requirement to travel to tournaments?

Macombo_John said on June 18, 2014 at 2:54 p.m.

Gladly applying again, here goes nothing! Good luck to everyone else applying.

LitchiFayeLing said on June 18, 2014 at 3:14 p.m.

Oh ho ho, the chance of a lifetime to blow up BB and Persona

AKumahMatata said on June 18, 2014 at 6:39 p.m.

if hiring.....that means one is leaving? who?

Catalyst said on June 18, 2014 at 8:17 p.m.

Candidates from any part of the globe are fine. And traveling to tournaments is not required.

Catalyst said on June 18, 2014 at 8:18 p.m.

No one is leaving, they're actually just taking my story spots on the front page so I can focus on site development and programming.

We're actually expanding.

Chaobo said on June 18, 2014 at 9:05 p.m.

I can see why the above statement is an integral part of the application process, but what if you're primarily an eSports spectator?

Dreamking23 said on June 18, 2014 at 9:13 p.m.

Yes, candidates from the UK are eligible to apply. And traveling to tournaments is not a requirement.

Dreamking23 said on June 18, 2014 at 9:14 p.m.

hehe Okay. When you put it that way, I'm okay with it! :D

Remondo02 said on June 19, 2014 at 2:34 p.m.

Oculus_Orbis said on June 19, 2014 at 4:10 p.m.

Are you applying? If so, I'm sure constantly being a smug ***hole isn't helping your case. And if you aren't applying, then why not just move on and gripe about something else?

NightmareSnake2 said on June 19, 2014 at 7:02 p.m.

What constitutes a "resume" for a job like this? I can't really say I've covered FGC tourneys or written articles for a living before.

Clearzova4950 said on June 20, 2014 at 7:59 a.m.

YOU GOT THIS!

AlbertWhisker said on June 20, 2014 at 10:32 a.m.

I have little to no experience in terms of journalism but I applied anyways! :) Everyone that thinks they remotely have a shot should!

SteadiestShark said on June 20, 2014 at 2:44 p.m.

I applied, although I had to send it twice. >_>

shumathorath said on June 20, 2014 at 2:59 p.m.

c'mon guys why wouldn't you want your job title to be FGC....e.

Ranshi said on June 20, 2014 at 3:10 p.m.

Well I finaly hit the submit button after debating with myself, I just had to give it a shot. :D

DanTheComedian said on June 20, 2014 at 3:21 p.m.

Is there anyway I could submit my resume to you guys via email instead? Im sorry, I would prefer to just send it directly to you guys instead if that is alright with you guys.

Catalyst said on June 20, 2014 at 3:43 p.m.

I am sorry we missed your question, feel free to restate it and I should catch it this time.

I'll give you some advice, though. Your attitude on the website has been very poor at times.

Attitude and how you conduct yourself is one of the top things many people look at when looking to hire an individual. Someone with the amount of run ins and difficulties you've had is going to raise a giant red flag.

I apologize if this comes off harsh, but considering the number of complaints we've had about you and your comment history, this is something you need to hear.

We had one person apply about a few years ago for a different job, and when we looked at his comment history and how he presented himself on different forums, it took him from being in the running to knocking him out of the running.

I think if you look at your own comment history, you'll see a number of statements and run ins in there you wish you could take back.

Use those things as ways to better yourself going forward and learn more ways to conduct yourself in a professional and likable manner.

Because a smart man once told me, "there's always someone watching."

Gemakai said on June 20, 2014 at 4:04 p.m.

I submitted for the position. Had to edit a fair bit to make sure I captured everything properly. Not sure how much was necessary for the submission. Regardless of whether or not I get considered. I'm glad I applied. Best of luck to all applicants

RedRapperSux said on June 20, 2014 at 4:15 p.m.

Surprised there is 91 comments. Now 92.

DestinyZX1 said on June 20, 2014 at 4:26 p.m.

Count me out. As much as I want to try my luck on it, I don't have much knowledge on HTML or CSS. I wish everyone the best of luck.

Burning_Typhoon said on June 20, 2014 at 9:11 p.m.

Uh oh... Not that I present myself badly by any means, my issue may be that I do not present myself enough. I lurk much more than I post.

I've even held moderator/administrative privilages on online services, such as Kaillera (God Weapon's Best of the Best server, to be exact) until Supra decided to end it. Sadly, it's been so long that I'd forgotten to include that bit in my detailing to you guys.

Needless to say, everyone moved to GGPO and thus, Kaillera isn't what it once was anymore.

Though, I hope me being absent so much in the comments section isn't hurting anything.

Skyviper said on June 20, 2014 at 10:43 p.m.

@Catalyst or @Dreamking23 I totally missed that subject line near the top that says

"Please use the subject: 'Fighting game content editor' when you submit the form."

I think my tag line was something like "Content Editor Application" or similar. Am I dq'd because I didn't read carefully? >.>

MonkeyCha0s said on June 21, 2014 at 1:04 a.m.

This reminds me of SFilp.

jhendrix said on June 21, 2014 at 2:42 a.m.

Damn somebody actually said this to him well done cat , been thinking this a lot about this guy recently, mr know it all ,but knows nothing whould be a poor canidate indeed

Drew said on June 21, 2014 at 3:43 a.m.

Edit: required 4k PP to apply

Exodus said on June 24, 2014 at 4:28 p.m.

Has anyone been contacted yet as a finalist by chance? It's driving me insane knowing if I managed to get in the running or not >.>

KagamineSaix said on June 24, 2014 at 6:33 p.m.

I was just about to post this lol, i am constantly checking my e-mails

Load more comments