Link plays similar to Brawl incarnation, but 'buffed in a lot of ways' says Nintendo; feels SSB Wii U is the perfect blend of Brawl and Melee

Posted by Steven 'Dreamking23' Chavez • June 12, 2014 at 12:28 p.m. PDT

IGN ran a stream yesterday that featured Nintendo's upcoming mega release, Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS. With Nintendo sitting in to talk all things Smash, we got quite a bit of new information about both titles.

While showing off gameplay of Super Smash Bros. Wii U, the Nintendo representative mentioned that Link's Final Smash is identical to that of his Brawl incarnation. He goes on to say that the Hero of Time plays a lot like his predecessor, but that he feels "buffed in a lot of ways," noting that he's quicker overall and has a stronger side+A attack.

When talking about the game's speed and physics, IGN described it as "the perfect blend between Brawl and Melee." Nintendo agreed, adding, "we still play both versions at Nintendo -- we love our Melee; we love our Brawl -- but once we started getting versions of this game in, it just feels so good and smooth."

Source: IGN.

Comments

ArkticDark said on June 12, 2014 at 12:34 p.m.

Alright! My main man Link got buffed!!! No more low tier hero for me!

YorKeY said on June 12, 2014 at 12:43 p.m.

I wouldn't say "no more low tier hero" just yet. His Forward air was definitely buffed, but those guys in the video sounded pretty casual, and didn't really sound like they knew about frames or the bigger picture in general. As a guy who played Marth/Link in the vanilla brawl days, i say we wait before jumping to conclusions. Maybe if you said Marth was going to be great on this game right off the bat, then that would be a different story, and believable right away cause an arch type like Marth's doesn't really ALLOW him to be low tier, unless they totally butcher the character in purpose that is, which i doubt. Kind of similar to Yun. (which i also coincidentally play)fast, toned and nimble gets the girls.

Paradonyx said on June 12, 2014 at 12:47 p.m.

A little off topic, but does anyone know how Rosalina's Luma works? What I mean is, what do the different colored Lumas do? Does Rosalina get a new Luma only when she or the Luma gets knocked out?

Just curious, since out of all the new playable characters, she seems the most unexplored to me.

Snow said on June 12, 2014 at 12:49 p.m.

Wondering how Fox turned out this time. He looks like he's got juggles from the invitational, but we didn't get to see too much of him to really determine if he got a little bite back from his Brawl gimping.

Hoping for a Falco or Wolf return or another rep from the series though just in case he's not up to snuff.

That old leaked list proving true this far has me a little nervous.

Phurioso said on June 12, 2014 at 12:58 p.m.

Perfect mix of brawl and melee? This is Brawl 2, still slow, still boring.

hi3i said on June 12, 2014 at 12:59 p.m.

ExTheUberOne said on June 12, 2014 at 1:02 p.m.

As a Link main, I'm definitely hyped.

ILLiterate said on June 12, 2014 at 1:07 p.m.

From my experience playing the demo during the Best Buy event, Smash Bros. 4 is the perfect blend of Brawl and not Melee at all

I'll still give it a shot though

Snow said on June 12, 2014 at 1:15 p.m.

Reports from Best Buy players seem to be that throws are buffed. Seems people that have played it are calling it less Brawlee or whatever and more 64 2.0

Will be interesting once we see more reports and feedback roll in from this weekend.

I know japanese developers listening to non-japanese audiences, specifically nintendo, is a long shot; but I hope they at least make falling a little less floaty.

shumathorath said on June 12, 2014 at 1:18 p.m.

from what ive seen the lumas act the same and if it KOed before her she has the use her neutral B 3 times to spawn a new one

Centaur said on June 12, 2014 at 1:31 p.m.

Shumathorath's comment is spot on! To add to that, the Luma will stay by Rosalina and attack with her (like Popo and Nana, but with separate animations besides just doubling up) until Rosalina uses Luma Shot, her Neutral B. Once Luma is fired off, he will float around as an AI, but only attacks according to your inputs. To bring Luma back, you use Neutral B Luma Shot again. From what I've seen in footage, Luma's recovery isn't very good (he isn't constantly hovering and follows normal gravity, so he can get K.O.'d by falling), so if you don't want to waste time reviving him, you'll have to strategically pull back Luma or get nearby and use your Up B, Launch Star.

umegames said on June 12, 2014 at 1:39 p.m.

after hands on at the smash fest, DK has certainly been buffed. I ended up win +6

Paradonyx said on June 12, 2014 at 1:45 p.m.

Thanks you two! I really want to main her, since she seems so different from a more traditional fighter in Smash.

Its a shame about the Lumas being affected by gravity though. Doesn't make much sense since, you know, they're from space.

Will try her out this saturday though :)

RonaldRogan said on June 12, 2014 at 2:02 p.m.

This one? http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633202...

It looks REALLY accurate so far. I'm OK with this. King K. Rool being selectable is so RAD.

Chaos15 said on June 12, 2014 at 2:27 p.m.

You can't jump out of Shine anymore.
That's all I know.

xShonuffx said on June 12, 2014 at 2:28 p.m.

Here.

at 1:14:37

Also I think the color Lumas are just for show they are random when she/it spawns.

Hotdiddykong said on June 12, 2014 at 2:40 p.m.

Nice to know they still play all the games at work.

From the footage of the tournament and others, the speed is faster than Brawl and feels so smooth, cant wait for the game, the best of Brawl and Melee mixed with balancing goodness, new mechanic fixes, no randoms is awesome can possibly make "The perfect blend" Smash. Frankly I prefer this over Melee 2.0 anyday.

LordProsper said on June 12, 2014 at 3:10 p.m.

Lyn is an Assist Trophy though.

Gurpwnder said on June 12, 2014 at 3:15 p.m.

Would you say he's as good as his Brawl version?

Does he have armor on his fully charged giant punch still?
Does his 9-wind still do more knockback than the fully charged punch?
Does his down+B still cover as much range?

Any new attacks worth discussing?

nox000 said on June 12, 2014 at 4:16 p.m.

"Similar to brawl", floaty with no possibility of combo then? Damn, I'm so sad the gameplay is so similar to brawl's gameplay.

Gurpwnder said on June 12, 2014 at 4:29 p.m.

Hitstun has been increased, so more combo opportunities are going to be available.

unseenpotential01 said on June 12, 2014 at 4:36 p.m.

So link gets to keep his combos and flashy bomb drop/claw shot tricks and he's faster. I am happy. Just fix his recovery and he will officially be NOT low-tier lol

and again with people complaining brawl was slow... *sigh*

Paradonyx said on June 12, 2014 at 5:11 p.m.

Thanks for responding dude.

Yea, I saw most of the tourney, but too little Rosalina.

She seems like a hard character to master, since you have a "puppet" to control. Its great though; its a nice change of pace for Smash.

Also, lol @ the people are too quick to say Smash 4 is more Brawl than Melee, when most have them have barely played it/not played it. C'mon guys.

U4iA27 said on June 12, 2014 at 5:12 p.m.

i just hope tripping doesn't make a return.

Gurpwnder said on June 12, 2014 at 5:13 p.m.

It's already been confirmed that his recovery is massively improved (in the build at the time).

Imagine Link with Brawl Toon Link's recovery.

Yeah, I think that Brawl's an excellent game too. DK and Snake could eat shields for breakfast and the game was much more 'chess-like'. I don't understand why a game needs to have massive execution barriers to be considered 'good'.

Watch at about 7:40 in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dzSe...

Gurpwnder said on June 12, 2014 at 5:17 p.m.

Forced tripping is still likely to return, but the 1% chance of tripping when starting to run is confirmed to be removed by Sakurai.

I wonder what measures they'll take against dash-dancing now? Probably a forced 'skid' animation when you run in one direction and turn immediately to the other.

Gurpwnder said on June 12, 2014 at 5:20 p.m.

Double post

ArkticDark said on June 12, 2014 at 6:02 p.m.

I also play Link/Marth. Yea Marth is always good. Kind of my fall back character to alleviate low tier stress lol.

FinchoMatic said on June 12, 2014 at 6:14 p.m.

One thing I really appreciate is a good educator to help others out in this time of the game's "beta" (as I call it).

You can't judge the game after only one 1v1 almost tournament standard match to go by. Play it yourself this upcoming Saturday at your local Best Buy store.

Back to Gurpwnder, your insight is helping me out big time because I do have interest in this game and getting into the Smash community as a whole.

LACris88 said on June 12, 2014 at 6:27 p.m.

Agreed, don't know why you were thumbed down. We have to make our voiced heard now before it's too late and we're stuck with another bad game

unseenpotential01 said on June 12, 2014 at 7:09 p.m.

forced tripping was ok, it was probably the most useful thing zelda had for her D-tilt, and for diddy kong's banana's of course.

was dash dancing really the reason tripping was added?? lol

Gurpwnder said on June 12, 2014 at 7:14 p.m.

Not actually confirmed, but think about it. Every time you initiate a dash, you have a 1% chance of tripping. Every change of direction in a dash dance is a new dash bring initiated. Therefore, if you hash back and forth 10 times, you are much more likely to trip than if you simply ran. If you walk or jump, you won't trip. It just seems reasonable to assume that that's why random tripping was added in Brawl.

I actually liked forced tripping, since it gave many attacks (like the mentioned Zelda D-tilt) more use. Diddy's bananas forcing trip is what his entire gameplay is based around (and he's an absolute monster because of it).

Gurpwnder said on June 12, 2014 at 7:49 p.m.

Much appreciated, man.

Alpharyu said on June 12, 2014 at 9:21 p.m.

I tried seeking out info on the E3 demo from Smashboards, but the thread was more about that dude in the scarf and less about the game. It was full of complaints and misguided info/anger. I guess I'll just have to wait until I play it myself.

unseenpotential01 said on June 12, 2014 at 10:29 p.m.

Makes sense. I do remember occasions where i would play long sets without ever tripping, but trying things like dash dancing would cause the "tripping" animation to happen a lot more often. I always knew it was intentional, but it never really thought it caused too much of a problem. I have a friend who used that tactic a lot in melee, it made him so frustrated lol

I preferred "craig walking" more anyway. Probably one of the best tactics other than "wave-dashing" Kinda makes me wanna dig up my old wii and try it again. Oh well, i'll just wait for the wii U version :)

Gurpwnder said on June 12, 2014 at 11:31 p.m.

Yeah, I feel that more people need to realize that Brawl is its own game instead of treating it like an inferior Melee.

Here's a very interesting Brawl game between a DK player (Will) and a Snake player (Ally) that I found to be pretty hype: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCwvc...

unseenpotential01 said on June 13, 2014 at 8:16 p.m.

I agree. It's similar to when players complained that sf4 wa too slow compared to sf2T or sf3

And i remember Ally, he's a beast.