Multiple characters still to be announced for new Smash Bros., dev covers many of the changes to returning fighters

Posted by Jonathan 'Catalyst' Grey • June 11, 2014 at 1:46 p.m. PDT

The Super Smash Bros. roster has ballooned out recently, as Pac-Man and Palutena were recently announced, along with 3 Mii fighters.

All said, Smash's roster currently stands at 35 characters, but there are multiple fighters yet to be announced, according to Nintendo.

"I've actually been leaning towards a couple of characters we haven't announced yet, but we're not going to talk about those," said Nintedo's Nate Bihldorff, while demoing the game at E3 2014.

"We've been behind closed doors a lot with these secret characters," he added.

Bihldorff has been working on Smash Bros. since the Melee and Brawl days, and he talks heavily about the changes made to some of the cast like Link, Bowser, Greninja and more.

You can find footage of Bihldorff's session after the break, and also we've grabbed images of the new character and stage select screens, along with the button config window.

Click images for larger versions

The action starts at 2:07:00 mark.

Footage from Nintendo.

Comments

SeriphAngel said on June 11, 2014 at 1:55 p.m.

Has anyone else noticed how basic fonts and selects screens are becoming? It is like when logos stop being super extravagant for businesses.

Example the current font used in MKX especially when you see finish him. It is like reading a new paper or business article lol.

APC said on June 11, 2014 at 1:58 p.m.

They better anounce Bomberman for Brawl 2, i mean, Smash 4

ffboi7 said on June 11, 2014 at 1:58 p.m.

Golden Sun rep? Please let it be so!!!

ShakeTheWorm said on June 11, 2014 at 1:59 p.m.

Common', gimme Bayonetta !

Doopliss said on June 11, 2014 at 2:07 p.m.

She's still a Sega character I'm afraid.

HmpLghtng said on June 11, 2014 at 2:26 p.m.

Brawl 2? Is that like an insult or something?

Maxninja15 said on June 11, 2014 at 2:27 p.m.

Last time I checked sonic is sega's mascot and he's in. So bayonetta can be in smash bros.

RenyNoise said on June 11, 2014 at 2:38 p.m.

That's like saying MegaMan is in the game, so lets add Strider.

David_Navarro said on June 11, 2014 at 2:43 p.m.

Well is just a trend.

Basic fonts are the thing nowadays, i have nothing against it, it actually gives it a more serious and elegant tone and a good serif font is much apreciated, in the opposite side you have MVC3 that with all those comic book style fonts ends looking like a bukakke of letters.

I dont think that is a reason to complain, just a matter of taste, and believe me, being mortal kombat, they need those to make it more serious, because lets be honest, mortal kombat has always been a very, very, VERY CHEESY looking game

although, Smash bros interface design, looks, and always has looked pretty terrible

BLOBLBOBLBOBBLBOBO

Guilessonicboom said on June 11, 2014 at 2:48 p.m.

Shulk...for the love of god give me Shulk!

omglonghair said on June 11, 2014 at 2:49 p.m.

Shulk and chrom are next
Then chorus men

danistheman said on June 11, 2014 at 2:52 p.m.

Give me Ridley or give me death.

SeriphAngel said on June 11, 2014 at 2:57 p.m.

I do agree with you. It is not that I have a problem with it entirely. Just something I am not use to. It does give the games a more elegant and refined feel to them though like you say. But we both know not every game needs that refined feel lol.

shinakka said on June 11, 2014 at 3:03 p.m.

Ganon(dorf), Ness, Bayonetta... Crossing my fingers.

xShonuffx said on June 11, 2014 at 3:11 p.m.

Not as bad as PlayStation all stars

Dracos_Wrath said on June 11, 2014 at 3:15 p.m.

Did you watch the stream or something to at least say something like that? The game obviously plays faster than Brawl. This is Melee 2.

The footage of this post is in slow-motion. It gets obvious when Bowser KOs Villager at the start.

Ermapume said on June 11, 2014 at 3:17 p.m.

I would love a Golden Sun representative myself. K. Rool would be awesome but I think Rare owns the rights to the Kremlings. My wishlist character definitely would be Hitmonlee.

ArkticDark said on June 11, 2014 at 3:18 p.m.

So is it true that this game excludes mechanics such as wave dashing and chain grabs???

ashley93 said on June 11, 2014 at 3:22 p.m.

Smash Bros pretty much had a basic, simple design of their menu and character selections screen since the N64 days. But it looks good, unlike PlayStation All Stars... That **** look horrible on the presentation front.

SeriphAngel said on June 11, 2014 at 3:24 p.m.

I will give you that. I play all-stars still and must say the font is odd and the characters can get super small and extremely difficult to see and follow on screen.

ShakeTheWorm said on June 11, 2014 at 3:39 p.m.

So ? Sonic is also a Sega charatcer.

NyuBomber said on June 11, 2014 at 4:13 p.m.

Villager plant watering hype!

courte said on June 11, 2014 at 4:18 p.m.

Yeah because smash always has multiple guest characters from one develo-- Oh ducking wait they don't, do they?!

but all of their guest were created in the past five to seven years and built the foundations of their respective companies--oh shiiiiiii!!

people who want EVERY new booty character. Those people should have a Super Smash Bros..Special just for them. Amiibo only can't play any char without it. Just bayonetta and shulk and goku and cloud. Every dev can join in. They loosened the strings on inclusions once and look what happened. All star battle royale. And even then you'll never get what you want. Cool big daddy and Nathan drake but then you'll remember that you loved crash and spyro and welcome to true sadness

and No one picked sonic at that stream. No one.

courte said on June 11, 2014 at 4:20 p.m.

So is big the cat. Put him in put them all in. Nights into dreams who attacks in a variety of ways like... Put him in!!! And toad and waluigi and Mai waifu. And my oc. And charizard. Put him in forever. And make the roster larger and larger. Ffuuuck balance. I want all my new favorite characters AND all the guys from the last one I never player because marth and fox

Gurpwnder said on June 11, 2014 at 4:24 p.m.

I didn't watch any gameplay, is this game's speed closer to Melee, or Brawl's?

ShakeTheWorm said on June 11, 2014 at 5:02 p.m.

Did you got the news ? Platinum Games is develloping Bayonetta 2 exclusively for Wii U. Bayonetta is almost a Nintendo charatcer at that point. Of course, that doesn't mean that she HAS to be in the game, but it would make sense (and some publicity for Bayonetta 2).

Plus, I think Nintendo should fill the "Mature character" spot Snake had in Brawl with Bayonetta. And f*ck, I really want to fight with her !

Doopliss said on June 11, 2014 at 5:29 p.m.

Seriously people, you can't compare Bayonetta to Sonic. Sonic is both more relevant and more fitting. Now, Bayonetta is one of my favorite games ever, but her chances to get in are zero.

Sega are still the franchise holders for Bayonetta 2, so I'm sure they'd disagree when you say she's "almost a Nintendo character".

knightline said on June 11, 2014 at 5:39 p.m.

A rep from Digimon pls... Pokemon vs Digimon matchup would be awesome...

GiganV3 said on June 11, 2014 at 5:44 p.m.

It's in the middle of both games.

ShakeTheWorm said on June 11, 2014 at 6:08 p.m.

Nintendo has been more supportive of Bayonetta than Sega was ever. At EVERY convention the game is shown on the Nintendo booth, not on the Sega booth, I'm pretty sure it's the same for this E3.

Sega still owns the IP, that's why the "almost" is there. And if Snake was in Brawl, I don't see why Bayonetta can't be in Smash 4.

Doopliss said on June 11, 2014 at 6:25 p.m.

That's because Nintendo are publishing it.

Snake is also a lot more relevant than Bayonetta. Also, the main issue with Bayonetta is how lewd she is, not how violent she is, so it's not really comparable. Nintendo won't let any of that into SSB. And without it, Bayonetta wouldn't really be Bayonetta.

Gurpwnder said on June 11, 2014 at 7:27 p.m.

Hmmm, okay.

I'm one of the few who hopes this game plays more like Brawl than Melee.

Thanks.

Topaz said on June 11, 2014 at 7:27 p.m.

People who think Bayonetta is impossible don't understand the situation. Bayonetta 2 only exists because Nintendo PUT DOWN THE MONEY to have Platinum develop it. You think they can't have her in Smash if they want to? And I think they do. She'll be the "Snake" of this edition of Smash.

Gurpwnder said on June 11, 2014 at 8:12 p.m.

Well, Snake worked because they avoided using actual guns, tranquilizers, cigarettes during taunts and kept his moveset more 'family friendly' by having him use CQC and explosives, which many other characters had.

How would you suggest they tone down Bayo's sexuality?

Also, remember that Kojima begged for Snake to be put into a Smash game. Perhaps Kamiya would have to do the same for Bayo to make it.

StoopidMunky said on June 11, 2014 at 9:03 p.m.

lol, nintendo is on a downward spiral, if they don't release this game soon, it may never get released, it's the one game holding people to this console, and Nintendo would probally make more money if they went the route of the the 3rd party!! I'm sorry, but this game needs to release soon, or at least before Nintendo finally dies as the way Sega did!!

StoopidMunky said on June 11, 2014 at 9:08 p.m.

by the way, bayonetta is in another game besides bayonetta 2!!!! she is nowhere near a Nintendo character, have you forgotten about Anarchy Reigns, which was released on xbox 360 and ps3, ummmm, Bayonetta is in that game!!!!

Gonbebe said on June 11, 2014 at 9:18 p.m.

Dude they unveiled a lot of new stuff besides Smash for Wii U this year. I don't know how anyone couldn't be at least somewhat impressed with what was shown.

courte said on June 11, 2014 at 10:54 p.m.

Kojima had to ask Sakurai and they were already friends. How friendly are kamiya and sakurai. There are quite a few characters who are Sega made and Nintendo exclusive. Bayonetta 2 is coming to Wii you but the first game? Sure it won't come to Xbox or Ps, action games wouldn't come to another system from a Wii, that's never happened before and theres no reason for it right?

Billy Hatcher and blaze the cat for smash huh?

Ok I apologize. I'm bitter because of the roster. I've always known it wont be close to a dream roster. Its just hard to get past. Many characters wont be as good as their past iterations, so just drop them and make something new. Mach rider and takamaru I feel not appearing is a shame. Also ties to so many dead franchises. But star fox will return rip f zero tho.

Snakes entire loveseat in brawl would have been more appropriate on bomberman ffa.

courte said on June 11, 2014 at 10:57 p.m.

No this game needs to cook and simmer as long as possible. One of these comes out per console generation and is never patched or updated. They can take as much time as possible to get it all right. And it's doubly important that they aren't rushed lest we get another round of clones. Add to that the fact that NO ONE makes a game of this sub genre style up to this caliber... yeah I can wait. You should too.

Vasculio said on June 12, 2014 at 2:51 a.m.

No Ganondorf no sell....

Yarott said on June 12, 2014 at 4:34 a.m.

There's the part that the Ice Climbers come from a one-shot video game about climbing a mountain to the top. And those characters had two Smash appearances so far until now. Then, there's the part about F-Zero having 4 games, I think. But the frachise has been shelved for lack of innovation due to Wipeout, or so I've read somewhere. And the Mother Trilogy is all there will ever be officially. Yet, Captain Falcon and Ness are regular fighters in the Smash franchise.

If I read correctly from the E3 news, Both Bayonetta games will be on the Wii-U. With the original having some extra content, including costumes based on Nintendo characters. As for any attempts to revive Takamaru and Mach Rider, those are still some very far away possibilities.

Hotdiddykong said on June 12, 2014 at 12:49 p.m.

Ganondorf cant be gone, he's the villain of Zelda

Just like how Wario and Metaknight are the flat out Faces of Brawl, im expecting them to come back.

David_Navarro said on June 12, 2014 at 3:11 p.m.

yep....PS all stars interface look really terible

TheTTimeLives said on June 13, 2014 at 11:02 a.m.

Ganon, Mk, Falcon and Ness will be back for sure. Everyone else ... I dunno.

Personally, I just want some FE: Awakening representation in some form (whether that be Chrom or just like a Lucina alt for Marth or something different.)

Wish Sakurai would just give us our wave dashing back. I don't care if L-Cancelling returns but wave dashing adds so much to the game and casual players are never affected because they don't play serious players who use it. It's a win win.