Female Tengu unveiled as Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate's latest roster addition in new trailer; comes to consoles alongside Phase 4 in late June

Posted by Cheng Kai 'KarbyP' Sim • June 4, 2014 at 10:58 a.m. PDT

Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate is getting a third new DLC character, after Marie Rose and Phase 4, and the new playable character is said to be 1018 years old. Which most certainly means she's not human, in spite of her looks..

Unveiled in the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu magazine, the new character is simply called "Female Tengu" (or "NyoTengu" in Japanese). .

She is a member of the same mysterious race of ancient mythical creatures that DOA2's final boss, Tengu, belonged to, and as such possesses a number of moves similar to that former DOA character. But she also comes with a number of new moves all of her own -- mostly making use of her flight ability..

According to Famitsu, Female Tengu is slated to come to both the arcade and console versions of Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate sometime in late June. The console patch that makes Female Tengu playable will also add Phase 4 (who's already playable in the arcade version) to the roster..

Here are some pictures of the new character that Famitsu has published; a new character trailer for Female Tengu is also available after the break.

Click images for larger versions

Source: Famitsu.com. Sent in by SoftShocks, Galletano, HooliganComboFTW, and CubaNectie.

Comments

Darc_Requiem said on June 4, 2014 at 10:15 a.m.

Oh DOA, the gift that keeps on giving heh.

boulderabuser said on June 4, 2014 at 10:15 a.m.

0:34 You mad?

CL_Yun said on June 4, 2014 at 10:20 a.m.

of course it would be female tengu -_- too much fan service

Virtua_Kazama said on June 4, 2014 at 10:23 a.m.

You know, I don't miss Tengu after seeing Nyo-Tengu now.

FakeSypha said on June 4, 2014 at 10:23 a.m.

Awesome! I don't like the design that much, but she definitely looks fun to play (troll, maybe) with.

NerakuFrostrike said on June 4, 2014 at 10:25 a.m.

Oh boy.

NapkinSchematic said on June 4, 2014 at 10:26 a.m.

Team Ninja, your character designs are bad, and you should feel bad...

Virtua_Kazama said on June 4, 2014 at 10:27 a.m.

Oh yea, you can block her Wind Attack btw. And I believe she will be out by late June, same time that Phase-4 will be out on consoles.

Snow said on June 4, 2014 at 10:34 a.m.

It tickles me pink that I know people who say Skullgirls is just shameless TnA yet take DoA games seriously.

That aside, it's good to see developers continuously support their games like this. Wish more would do it.

PoisonKiss said on June 4, 2014 at 10:37 a.m.

I understand the basis that they had for this character, but without the wings would look better

ShinAkiraDesu said on June 4, 2014 at 10:38 a.m.

She cute though ;o

Galletano said on June 4, 2014 at 10:39 a.m.

She look amazing I rather have her than the other creepy looking Tengu. Although the fan service it's getting out of control they should add more character similar to Gen-Fu, and Raidou, they are going to loose a lot of fans if they keep this trend, Is like they don't want their game to be taken seriously. Probably the next character is a dude.

AriesWarlock said on June 4, 2014 at 10:41 a.m.

Already like her better than Phase-4.

HooliganComboFTW said on June 4, 2014 at 10:50 a.m.

That was surprising in a good way.

StriderHiryu said on June 4, 2014 at 10:52 a.m.

Now THIS is what I'm talking about, a NEW character and not a Kasumi clone (by that, I mean an identical-looking Kasumi, not gameplay wise). This character looks fun! Can't wait to play as her and add her to the mains! Kasumi, you might be getting replaced.

Dravidian said on June 4, 2014 at 10:59 a.m.

....That tongue though

#KreyGasm

Super_Shoto_Fighter_4 said on June 4, 2014 at 10:59 a.m.

Dat tongue tho. This is the first character that actually looks cool.

FightDirty said on June 4, 2014 at 11:10 a.m.

That tongue at the end = oh yeah.

For some reason she reminds me of a mix between Juri & Morrigan. Also is similar to Tekken's new vampire fighter. Glad to see that DOA will get another update this month.

Terrorrisk said on June 4, 2014 at 11:17 a.m.

I love her design, unique animations and her theme is great, but I can't help but feel she would have been better suited as some other sort of mythological creature other than a Tengu. Heck even a Greater Fiend would had worked. I wonder if her Tengu Mask is an accessory you can equip on her.

BlackOnyxThunder said on June 4, 2014 at 11:19 a.m.

They love giving the fans what they want (if you know what I mean). Wait, did she just give me: The Juri Lick?

TheMasterPlayer said on June 4, 2014 at 11:20 a.m.

Female Devil Jin

shinra358 said on June 4, 2014 at 11:23 a.m.

I'll stick to my DoA2. The last and final good DoA...

Sanox said on June 4, 2014 at 11:24 a.m.

BAKA BAKA BAKA BAKA haha

her voice is so good

Iphantom said on June 4, 2014 at 11:30 a.m.

I know I should be offended by the shameless fan service...but I really like that design.

MatheViB said on June 4, 2014 at 11:31 a.m.

she looks fun, plus the voice is cool :)

maxs2d2ace said on June 4, 2014 at 11:34 a.m.

seems like a doa version of devil jin or that new vampire girl in tekken revolution. its really kewl that they keep updating the roster over time instead of a yearly update. this is something i wish nintendo would do with smash instead of waiting 4-7 years for another smash.

HiryuMK said on June 4, 2014 at 11:40 a.m.

Tengu is ugly, so I am ok with this replacement.

genocide_cutter said on June 4, 2014 at 11:42 a.m.

I hope she's free

icejohn said on June 4, 2014 at 11:44 a.m.

A thousand and 'Eighteen' huh?
Oh...TN lol
Looks freakin' Awesome!
I can't wait,im always down for juri type character.

FalsoL said on June 4, 2014 at 11:48 a.m.

A female version of a male character?
I'm not surprised at all.

Chrisuchiwa said on June 4, 2014 at 11:49 a.m.

Is it just me or she is way related to Morrigan sexyness. The same stances and poses! Ehhhhh!

jadeguy said on June 4, 2014 at 11:54 a.m.

This character looks cool and fun to play with, she might become my main.

JRXP2011 said on June 4, 2014 at noon

Id hit dat ol lady.

irc_mocpac said on June 4, 2014 at 12:01 p.m.

I still feel a little strange about DOA having mostly female characters.

Iphantom said on June 4, 2014 at 12:04 p.m.

It's honestly like a 50/50 ratio of male to female characters in DOA. It's just that in almost every other fighter it's 75/25.

Blackoshinomi said on June 4, 2014 at 12:23 p.m.

Never was fan Tengu till now ! NyoTengu here i come !

synce said on June 4, 2014 at 12:30 p.m.

A correction to your article, Nyotengu is actually coming only to DOA5 Arcade, while at the same time Phase 4 comes to consoles. There will likely be a 3 month arcade exclusivity like Marie and P4 before her

DarthEnderX said on June 4, 2014 at 12:39 p.m.

"Tekken is adding a sexy vampire! Surely we can out-monster girl that!"

TrueGamingGuru said on June 4, 2014 at 12:39 p.m.

That was awesome, the Female Tengu is very pretty and I'm looking forward to both Phase-4 & Female Tengu. Team Ninja is doing really good & part of their fan service does add character to it. (its something that nobody should be offended or even ashamed of this, because that is very natural & its part of human interest.) What makes Team Ninja a very good developer is not trying too hard to appeal the mainstream or people that always says "I don't take DOA serious because I dislike sexual content." (although that's not what most people would say), does put their focus on the people gave DOA support or played the game for what it is along with giving FGC tournaments support. (even advertise tournaments)

Trying to appeal the people who wouldn't take DOA serious for fan service is exactly like Capcom trying way too hard appealing too many people from FGC & Casuals, or take the Ninja Gaiden 3 route when that game took away part of the mechanics from the previous games & not make it as gory just to appeal the people who had problems with part of the blood & gore in the past.

Its really better if Team Ninja continues giving DOA support & remain focusing on the people who are willing to play this game even with the fan service.

Here are more pics I found of Female Tengu:

Snow said on June 4, 2014 at 12:41 p.m.

And then they just taped some bird wings onto another model and called it a day instead.

TrueGamingGuru said on June 4, 2014 at 12:59 p.m.

@Virtua_Kazama

Exactly like Tengu (DOA2-Dimensions) where you could block his wind attack.

@Galletano

There is already a character that plays similar to Raidou and that is Phase-4. Because in DOA1, Raidou borrows moveset from other characters pretty much like Dural from Virtua Fighter. If you watch part of the trailer of Phase-4 you may recognize a few moves that other characters have for their movelist. (considering if you know every moves in DOA5)

@Iphantom

You shouldn't have to be offended by the fan service (you could easily ignore it), I know someone that isn't a fan of the fan service but still played DOA for the gameplay. (which was when they added the Gravure cutscenes in DOA5+ for the Vita which is also in DOA5U, which are the ones like DOAX series) If you like the character design, that's all it should matter.

@maxs2d2ace

There may be a possibility that SSB could something like that, since Mario Golf: World Tour & Mario Kart 8 are doing DLC. There may be a chance we could get more characters for SSB, but its really going to depend on what Sakurai decides to do with SSB.

@genocide_cutter

There is a good chance she may not be free, since Marie Rose became a paid DLC character. DOA5U are likely to have paid DLC characters, which are going to be separate. (meaning not bundled like SSFIVAE, USFIV, or SFXT)

Mr_Salt said on June 4, 2014 at 1 p.m.

She's cute for a tengu. She reminds me of the female vampire that Namco put out a while back. Not a bad thing. Just similar.

Galletano said on June 4, 2014 at 1:09 p.m.

The cast of this games have always been 50/50 and they should keep it that way. Too much of one gender and they risk loosing fans. The People that thinks this games only have fans that like Marie Rose or Nyo are wrong, they should give fans of characters like Gen-Fu, (which BTW is used by a lot of people in tournaments) Brad-Wong and some others something to look forward other wise the might get bored of the same old thing. There's nothing wrong with fan service but it is stupid if they just focus on a specific group of fans.

And I'm not talking about a character that has some moves of past characters I'm talking about a designs that would appeal to the audience that use characters like raidou, heihachi, Akuma and so on.

okay said on June 4, 2014 at 1:35 p.m.

I've been waiting for a cougar character since the females are all so young, but I'm not too sure a 1018-year-old tengu counts.

SeriphAngel said on June 4, 2014 at 1:38 p.m.

I am mad that I ask for something new just this morning and look what happens. Guess it is true you ask and you shall receive. Loving everything but her voice....Wonder where the male tengu went then.

Urdojo said on June 4, 2014 at 1:59 p.m.

Exactly what I thought lol. I can't wait to play her.

TrueGamingGuru said on June 4, 2014 at 1:59 p.m.

I do agree with the cast being 50/50. This whole gender thing is something that anyone shouldn't have to worry too much, we might get more males later on whether DOA5U is getting updates or if DOA gets a sequel. If people really thinks this game only have fans that only likes Marie Rose or Nyo are looking at a very flawed logic or something that is very debatable. (it would be like MK only has fans that loves to murder people) Besides characters like Marie Rose or Nyo are currently brand new (which isn't going to have a huge number of fans right away, compare to other characters)

When it comes to player groups there is definitely a balance besides fan service DOA can not only appeal fans/niche group, but could also appeal newcomers/casuals, & FGC/tournament players. Since part of the gameplay is easy to play & pick up, but can be a hard game to master & has something for high level. DOA has been getting a huge group of players from the free to play to the Arcade scene in Japan.

It would be cool to see character designs that can appeal to audiences that uses Raidou, Heihachi, & Gouki (Akuma). Will see if we get characters similar to the ones you mention in the near future.

Mopz said on June 4, 2014 at 2:38 p.m.

Should've taken over Inferior Loli Rochefort and Clone Kasumi x99 any day.

The power of that nip pasties tho! Over 1018!

Now waiting for female Jann Lee, Gen Fu, Brad Wong, Zack Armstrong and female genetically enhanced Donovan! SO FUN this game! :D

darkblade13 said on June 4, 2014 at 3:25 p.m.

I wish Namco still have some support for Soulcalibur 5. :(

GodPride said on June 4, 2014 at 3:52 p.m.

She may be fan service but I kind of like her fighting style. She made all the other characters look bland in comparison which is ashame.

RaiKageRyu said on June 4, 2014 at 4:21 p.m.

Ayayaya!

MarthFE said on June 4, 2014 at 4:32 p.m.

I'm gonna use the sh!t out of her.

I always enjoyed playing tengu but damn was he ugly

SqueakyBloom said on June 4, 2014 at 5:06 p.m.

She looks friggen awesome! Both her play style and her looks are amazing!

Alltimefox said on June 4, 2014 at 5:08 p.m.

That tongue though. Her Japanese voice sounds like Morrigan's Japanese voice

Yung said on June 4, 2014 at 6:30 p.m.

So ... damn ... hot.

HyperViperNZ said on June 4, 2014 at 7:02 p.m.

Amazing design.

Utils said on June 4, 2014 at 7:10 p.m.

Are all the females headswaps?

Tenchi_Sokaigen said on June 4, 2014 at 7:56 p.m.

Kreygasm

So good.

AugustAPC said on June 4, 2014 at 9:29 p.m.

Clearly. Marie Rose and Tina are practically twins.

Seriously, though. No. The characters have varying busts and heights. Tina is clearly bustier than most of the cast. Admittedly, though, all the females are well endowed... not that I'm complaining.

About this female Tengu... I've got mixed feelings. She looks cool... but at the same time, taking an established character and shamelessly turning it into TnA is kinda lame. I've no problem with original characters being fan-servicy, but man, if they turned Hayabusa into a chick, I'd be ticked.
She does look cool, though.

crispylinks77 said on June 4, 2014 at 9:48 p.m.

Getting hyped for this. She looks good.

waterdog77 said on June 4, 2014 at 10:01 p.m.

I have boner right now.
I really hope that Tengu didn't gone and had a sex change :3

Smorgasboard said on June 4, 2014 at 10:37 p.m.

Looks like Tengu has obtained the Devil gene and the female gene.

FightDirty said on June 4, 2014 at 10:54 p.m.

Now that I took the time to look up what a tengu actually is, the wings and stuff make sense. She's missing the tradional beak-like nose, but no doubt TN wants her to look hot as opposed to homely. I approve.

I think it's time for TN to add a stripclub & mud wrestling stages.
For .... um, variety. Yeh, that's it.

SoftShocks said on June 5, 2014 at 2:20 a.m.

Beautiful lady.
Shoutouts to TN for making such a pretty game.
NRS, can we please have your female characters faces look like her's ;D

Shermie_KOF said on June 5, 2014 at 11:10 a.m.

.........Well I suppose I can give this game a shot.

Virtua_Kazama said on June 5, 2014 at 7:03 p.m.

Combo video of Nyo-Tengu has surfaced.

TrueGamingGuru said on June 6, 2014 at 7:55 a.m.

That was awesome, I do looking forward on getting her for consoles later on.